LA Times ranks the fast food french fries

\GoBillsInDallas/

McDonalds and Five Guys FTW

One franchise I don't see rated on that list (and this may just be because they're not in the LA market) is Bojangles.  Bojanges fries are some salty goodness :)

Just now, unbillievable said:

They spent a lot of money on research.

Only in a Capitalist system, would anyone waste millions on studying french fries.

Considering how much money McD's makes on their fries, I wouldn't call that research a waste

Capitalism wins again :beer:

26 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Only in a Capitalist system, would anyone waste millions on studying french fries.

I would venture to guess that even card carrying Communists enjoy McDonald's french fries.  Perhaps the first crack in the communist world when McDonald's food went into points east of the old Iron Curtain.  Rumor was that after Soviet spies brought Andropov a McDonald's basic meal that he proposed unilateral disarmament so the McDonald's food would free flow into Moscow.  Upon this revelation the borscht loving KGB staged a coup to counter Andropov's desires thus ending his rule.  

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

McDonalds fries are consistently good almost bizarrely so.  

Amazingly, McD's fries used to be even better. They used to have beef tallow added. Then 1990-ish some do-gooder sued them and they had to take the beef tallow out.

I have to take exception to poor rating the article gave Chick-Fil-A cross cut fries. They are sublime. Could it be bias from the Left Coast LA Times.. maybe.

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I would venture to guess that even card carrying Communists enjoy McDonald's french fries.  Perhaps the first crack in the communist world when McDonald's food went into points east of the old Iron Curtain.  Rumor was that after Soviet spies brought Andropov a McDonald's basic meal that he proposed unilateral disarmament so the McDonald's food would free flow into Moscow.  Upon this revelation the borscht loving KGB staged a coup to counter Andropov's desires thus ending his rule.  

Communists enjoy a wide variety of Capitalist born products; because they won't allow anyone to spend money improving their own stuff.

2 hours ago, boater said:

Amazingly, McD's fries used to be even better. They used to have beef tallow added. Then 1990-ish some do-gooder sued them and they had to take the beef tallow out.

I have to take exception to poor rating the article gave Chick-Fil-A cross cut fries. They are sublime. Could it be bias from the Left Coast LA Times.. maybe.

I love Chick-fil-a but vehematly disagree with you on the cross cut fries.  They are gross.  Chicken minis, however, are a heavenly creation.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, boater said:

oh my god....

Even french fries can't escape the stranglehold of our political bickering...

Edit: Freedom Fries

14 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Harsh reviews, but 100% spot on about Five Guys fries. They are THE best fries you can find outside of a place like Thrasher's of OCMD.

Agree here. Also agree with the author about In N Out cardboard fries.  Disagree on Chick fil A. Those waffle fries are real good.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I love Chick-fil-a but vehematly disagree with you on the cross cut fries.  They are gross.  Chicken minis, however, are a heavenly creation.

communist 

Never understood the love for McDs fries. I always preferred the ones that seem to be larger 'fresh cut' fries like Wendy's. Also like the curly fries from Arbys. Taco Bell here used to have their 'Fries supreme' that were good (cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, onions). 

Around here, KFC and Taco Bell use the same fries, and they are similar to Burgar Kings. Back in the late 90s, early 2000s places started selling fries that had a coating on them to make them crispier and not soggy. I remember when I was younger working at a KFC and it was owned by the same company as Taco Bell so if we ran out we could get some from them. Once I believe we couldnt get any from them and were able to get some through a Burgar King nearby.

• Like (+1) 1

I like BK fries over McD fries.  

41 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Never understood the love for McDs fries. I always preferred the ones that seem to be larger 'fresh cut' fries like Wendy's. Also like the curly fries from Arbys. Taco Bell here used to have their 'Fries supreme' that were good (cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, onions). 

Around here, KFC and Taco Bell use the same fries, and they are similar to Burgar Kings. Back in the late 90s, early 2000s places started selling fries that had a coating on them to make them crispier and not soggy. I remember when I was younger working at a KFC and it was owned by the same company as Taco Bell so if we ran out we could get some from them. Once I believe we couldnt get any from them and were able to get some through a Burgar King nearby.

17 hours ago, /dev/null said:

McDonalds and Five Guys FTW

One franchise I don't see rated on that list (and this may just be because they're not in the LA market) is Bojangles.  Bojanges fries are some salty goodness :)

Freddie's Steakburgers has some good fries too...they're even thinner than McD's and are perfectly crisped and salted.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

McDonalds fries are consistently good almost bizarrely so.  

Speaking from experience with my first "real" high school job, the key is the age of the fry oil they're dunked in. Our manager would always be on to us to check the coloration and smell of the fryers, as the oil will tell you itself when you need to change those puppies out. Nothing better than fries right out of a fresh batch, and conversely nothing worse than getting the last batch, as you all already know. Side note, give a smile out to those people working there at that thankless place--it's hard work for little pay (should just be a starter job for most people imho) and the grease residue literally sticks to all of your clothes when you leave your shift. But it did teach me a lot of lessons as a teenager about what I didn't want to do with my life, lol.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Arby's Curly Q's are my go to.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Dip them in the Polynesian sauce and you'll change your tune on the fries.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, unbillievable said:

Burger King spent a boatload and taste tests showed they were better than McD's

and then nobody could be bothered to buy them....

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

McDonald's fries are the best when fresh. If they're more than 15 minutes old, they're crap. 

agreed, so how do people enjoy them when they get a taxi to pick them up and deliver them ?

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Burger King spent a boatload and taste tests showed they were better than McD's

and then nobody could be bothered to buy them....

did they spend the money an a study or propaganda?  Because whenever I go to BK their fries taste like ass.  maybe it's just the BK's around here, one I'll grant you is pretty ghetto

Agree that Five Guys has far and away the best fast food fries. I totally disagree with the article after that.  It’s probably because I like a fresh, hot, crispy, thicker fry.  McD’s suck. BK’s suck. I don’t go to either place anymore.  When at Arby’s I get the potato cakes because they have to make them fresh every time.  It’s better than soggy curly fries that  sat out for 20 minutes. Chik fil A’s waffle fries are pretty decent. I’d like them crispier, but they aren’t bad and they are a great ketchup delivery device. 

The best fries I’ve had in Buffalo we’re at Marble and Rye.  It’s definitely not a fast food place. Those fries are even better than Five Guys - and by a fair bit.  They’re still in second though. 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, Just Joshin' said:

Five Guys fresh cut are the best if done properly.  If the oil is not the right temp or old they can be poor.

Never understood the Five Guys hype.  I've had awful fries there, and burgers are just ok.  Takes about a month to get your order.  Service is usually terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Never understood the Five Guys hype.  I've had awful fries there, and burgers are just ok.  Takes about a month to get your order.  Service is usually terrible.

They blow all around , I agree, Has nothing to do with the fact  I spent three months trying to sell them software and they bought something else.. really, nothing at all

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/21/2019 at 9:16 PM, KD in CA said:

They are OK, but too expensive... and I agree, definitely not fast food.