Potential Bills FA target Tyrell Williams considers himself a #1 WR

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, DJB said:

As long as hes not paid like a #1 id be interested for the Bills

He is going to command number one WR money. Wither or not he is worth it he is worth that is irrelevant because free agents almost always get overpaid and there are a ton of teams with lots of cap space that need WR's to pair with young QB's. 

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Every damn ball he catches goes for 15+ yards. He's turning 27 next month. He's 6-4 yet runs the same 4.45 as Zay. No one says he's a #1 caliber we yet, but let's sign him and let Josh decide. Every time I saw him play for the Chargers, he looked great. I don't want a 30 yr old Tate or even Funchess. Get this done OBD and then draft the best we in the 2nd round.

He's on my list of UFAs I'd sign, I just see him as a complimentary WR (in Woods/Marvin Jones mold) not a  true number 1.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Instead of over paying for 3 or 4 mid level guys, I would go big game hunting.  Full court press one of the edge rushers and interior lineman and then sign some young guys to prove it deals after the rush dies down.  Bringing a guy in because you have the money is not the answer imo. Especially, where the draft meets your value. 

So who is your big game on the DL? Do you have specific names?

They will no doubt be in demand and still have to agree to come here..

I think their immeadiate needs are on offense, and if they cant find a big name then I'll be happy with 3-4 mid levels if you are using Tyrell Williams as an example of a mid level guy....

Fill your needs in FA and look to the draft for BPA, although they have enough picks to find a decent WR and OL piece in the draft on top of what they pick up in FA...

Edited by Aussie Joe

41 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Getting him for 3 @ 29 would be robbery. I just have a feeling about him. I think he and Josh would have instant chemistry. 

I think he gets at worst 12 million aav and could get as high as 14-15 million aav. Personally I am not sure which vet WR the Bills will land. T.Williams and Tate are going to command huge money, I am not sure who else is really good on the market, John Brown will get paid close to 10 million aav not sure if he is a quality WR2 or not. There doesn't seem to be much else on the market other than Cole Beasely or maybe a released veteran like DeSean Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Comes down to what him and his agent feel his worth is.  I imagine that is more than what Buffalo feels his worth is.  4 to 6 mil a year is a stretch to me.  I think he will ask for more.  The wr class is deep l, the FA market is shallow.  I think they would be better off looking elsewhere for outside help than FA.

I don't think you understand how big contracts will jump with the new cap for each team.  THere's a lot more money and players are asking for more. The great players will all be looking for 20 plus million and up.  Mid level players are needed as well as a few great players.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

So who is your big game on the DL? Do you have specific names?

They will no doubt be in demand and still have to agree to come here..

I think their immeadiate needs are on offense, and if they cant find a big name then I'll be happy with 3-4 mid tiers if you are using Tyrell Williams as an example of a mid tier....

Fill your needs in FA and look to the draft for BPA, although they have enough picks to find a decent WR and OL piece in the draft on top of what they pick up in FA...

Clowney and  Lawerance are the top ofcourse. I also really like Frank Clark.  Depending on what position you think he is best at Barr is intriguing as well.   Buffalo has a pile of cash.  Imo they would be better off paying a premium for a premier position.  Depending who is available on the Oline, that needs to be a priority obviously as well.  The Wrs are very poor.  No real value outside of getting a guy on a prove it deal coming off an unproductive rookie deal.

speedy John Brown will not cost as much or command as long of a contract, will stretch the field by outrunning almost any db in the league. Speed kills, and with an arm like Allen's the safety will have to respect that. He is only a year and a half older. Then draft another receiver in the first 3 rnds. I would not want to overly commit $ and length of contract to Williams, an udfa with one good year 2 yrs ago.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't think you understand how big contracts will jump with the new cap for each team.  THere's a lot more money and players are asking for more. The great players will all be looking for 20 plus million and up.  Mid level players are needed as well as a few great players.

I would rather pay 20 mil for a priority position than 10 mil for a guy who will never meet the production.

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Clowney and  Lawerance are the top ofcourse. I also really like Frank Clark.  Depending on what position you think he is best at Barr is intriguing as well.   Buffalo has a pile of cash.  Imo they would be better off paying a premium for a premier position.  Depending who is available on the Oline, that needs to be a priority obviously as well.  The Wrs are very poor.  No real value outside of getting a guy on a prove it deal coming off an unproductive rookie deal.

These D Line guys would be great but they need to become available in the first place...and then agree to come here...

Barr I will pass...

I disagree that either Williams or Tate are "very poor".. we could do with either...

Just now, Mat68 said:

I would rather pay 20 mil for a priority position than 10 mil for a guy who will never meet the production.

Except no team needs a number 1 WR to go to the super bowl.  You need plenty of options though. Reliable receivers and pass catchers at the RB and TE positions.  Julio, Beckham, Green...were any of those offenses even top ten this season?  It's just unnecessary and riskier because all your eggs are in one basket and if the guy gets hurt, you're screwed.  Tyrell looks like a solid receiver and would pair nicely with a 2nd-4th round rookie receiver. That seems to be where the value of the position is in the draft.  

3 minutes ago, teef said:

Stats do not lie. 

Actually according to TBD they do all the time and are meaningless 

anyways what kind of contract you looking for.  Let’s do this. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except no team needs a number 1 WR to go to the super bowl.  You need plenty of options though. Reliable receivers and pass catchers at the RB and TE positions.  Julio, Beckham, Green...were any of those offenses even top ten this season?  It's just unnecessary and riskier because all your eggs are in one basket and if the guy gets hurt, you're screwed.  Tyrell looks like a solid receiver and would pair nicely with a 2nd-4th round rookie receiver. That seems to be where the value of the position is in the draft.  

NO and KC do. I guess they didn’t make the SB cause of that though. 

Like I have stated in other threads about Williams, he has decent hands, excellent straight line speed, and is a strider.  However, he is not a crisp route runner.  He would be a solid #2 or #3, but he's not worth #1 money.  He really excels at shallow drags and medium crossing routes because he can out run the defender and turn an 8yd crosser into 15-20 yard gains.   He's a decent bomb threat.  Where he struggles is trying to sell double cut moves because of his long legs, he tends to round his cuts. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Like I have stated in other threads about Williams, he has decent hands, excellent straight line speed, and is a strider.  However, he is not a crisp route runner.  He would be a solid #2 or #3, but he's not worth #1 money.  He really excels at shallow drags and medium crossing routes because he can out run the defender and turn an 8yd crosser into 15-20 yard gains.   He's a decent bomb threat.  Where he struggles is trying to sell double cut moves because of his long legs, he tends to round his cuts. 

That's a bingo!

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm not advocating trading for a #1. Though I wouldn't hate it.  Williams is a nice Wr.  He is a solid possession wr.  Is he worth 4 year 40? No he is not.  That is low end #1 money.  I think he is worth half that.  Buffalo has 8 picks.  2 in the first 41.  The Wr crop is actually very good. Buffalo can draft a guy at 41 who will give you everything Williams brings and more.  Hakeem Butler, Jj Arrcen-Whiteside are 2 that come to mind.  In FA I would look for Olineman and a Te.  Then low end Wrs and Rbs.  Imo the draft is deep with both no need to over pay in FA for either this offseason.  I see the need for the offense for sure just think it's a better allocation of resources.

4 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Very accurate analysis.  Beane won't give him Sammy money but if he could be had for 3/29M, I'd jump all over that signing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd rather roll with D'haq, Foster, Zay and McKittrick than pay this guy as a #1 WR, which is code for $16+M/year.  Focus on getting a decent TE in FA.

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Very accurate analysis.  Beane won't give him Sammy money but if he could be had for 3/29M, I'd jump all over that signing.

So $16+ or $9.5?

Quite a difference...

Say he could be had for $12.5? 

Would that make everyone happy?

i don't want a guy like that who claim's he's a no.1. i don't see mcbeane signing anyone for 10+ per yr.  given the mantra of building through the draft, maybe we only see a te signed in fa.  for me that guy is jesse james, maybe they take maxx williams.

i think since they signed duke williams (who i think will be a star),  that they stick with what they have and draft....

hakeem butler

irv smith jr.   te

deebo samual

andy isabella

btw....smith's dad was a te selected in the 1st rd. of the 1993 draft and his uncle won a sb at the position.  stir in familiarity with dabol,

this guy, with that pedigree and his stats at alabama, i'd bet money he becomes a bill.  we really need to find a way to get at least one more 2nd rd. pick and hopefully and extra 3rd.

Edited by billsredneck1

17 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yup, no doubt. Sounds like a guy who knows he's about to hit the open market and wants every team to know that he feels he's a #1 WR and should be paid like a #1 WR.  Someone is going to overpay to pay for this guy and regret it. Its not gonna be as easy when your not lining up with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Melvin Gordon and Antonio Gates and Hunter Henry taking attention away from you. He's going to be the center of attention now and have the double teams. I'm not dogging him, I like him as a 2 or 3 like you said for like 8 million a year. He reminds me of when Eric Decker went to the Jets from the Broncos and stunk.

Even if he is the number 1 WR somewhere I don't think he has the skill level to be double teamed. He will just be getting covered by better corners and that will take his numbers into the Zay Jones zone.

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So $16+ or $9.5?

Quite a difference...

Nope.  Don't want him at even $9.5M/year.  Draft a guy you think can be a #1 WR and focus on OL and TE in the draft if you can't shore them up in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

If Sammie is worth $16M, how much is he worth?  The WR market has exploded in the passing era and seems out of whack relative to other positions.

IMO you are better off with 4 really good receivers vs 1 great receiver.

Tyrell Williams ain't great. He's maybe good good but that's a roll of the dice for me when you take him away from Keenan Allen and the gang. I'd take him for lack of anything better but he will not have bigger contract than Sammy.. can not see Tyrell Williams getting that much. The league thought very highly of Sammy his whole career up to his last contract. Tyrell seems more a blip on the radar we're talking about because he's MAYBE the best available of a super mediocre class

Then again..

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

11 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Actually according to TBD they do all the time and are meaningless 

anyways what kind of contract you looking for.  Let’s do this. 

NO and KC do. I guess they didn’t make the SB cause of that though. 

Sure they do but it’s completely unnecessary. It’s not like there’s a number 1 receiver in FA this year. No need to force the issue and give up and absurd amount of assets to bring one in when it’s just not necessary. 

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I'm not advocating trading for a #1. Though I wouldn't hate it.  Williams is a nice Wr.  He is a solid possession wr.  Is he worth 4 year 40? No he is not.  That is low end #1 money.  I think he is worth half that.  Buffalo has 8 picks.  2 in the first 41.  The Wr crop is actually very good. Buffalo can draft a guy at 41 who will give you everything Williams brings and more.  Hakeem Butler, Jj Arrcen-Whiteside are 2 that come to mind.  In FA I would look for Olineman and a Te.  Then low end Wrs and Rbs.  Imo the draft is deep with both no need to over pay in FA for either this offseason.  I see the need for the offense for sure just think it's a better allocation of resources.

Except $10 million is no long number 1 wr pay. It’s more of a solid number 2. You will be surprised by the rise in contracts. Average players will get huge contracts. Football has underpaid its players compared to other sports for a while, now they will be paid. I’d much rather draft one but I’d also rather go into the draft not having to force the issue. 

I’m on the fence with the guy but I’m just making a point to say contracts are rising. Teams have more cap space but players will be paid more so do they really have more cap space? 

Quincy Enunwa recently signed a 4 year $36 million dollar deal. The contracts will only go up from there. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except $10 million is no long number 1 wr pay. It’s more of a solid number 2. You will be surprised by the rise in contracts. Average players will get huge contracts. Football has underpaid its players compared to other sports for a while, now they will be paid. I’d much rather draft one but I’d also rather go into the draft not having to force the issue. 

I’m on the fence with the guy but I’m just making a point to say contracts are rising. Teams have more cap space but players will be paid more so do they really have more cap space? 

Quincy Enunwa recently signed a 4 year $36 million dollar deal. The contracts will only go up from there. 

facts dude.

also, woods was distinctly a number 2 when he left us, and he got 8mm per year a few years ago, so his contract today would be closer to 10mm a year.

i'd say t williams gets 10-13mm per year (depending on guaranteed money, which is more important IMO) wherever he goes.  i can't say i wouldn't pay that for him.  ideally i want us to trade a pick for julio or someone like that, but we need to get new starters at WR/TE, and at least 2 OL positions, and that means free agency more than the draft to be honest.

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So $16+ or $9.5?

Quite a difference...

I guess what I'm saying is based on his age, size and production/experience,  I would pay him like a top #2 wr. And to me that would be no more than 10M per year for 3 years. Unfortunately we've had more 2nd-3rd round WR busts than hits. If he thumbs his nose at a 3/30 than move on. He can and should market himself as a #1 but the league knows he's not. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why are yall l being so cheap. I thought we got rid of a lot of guys and suffered through a bad season so we don't have to be cheap amymore?

let's get some real players in here so we can win.

I think the risk here isn't spending the money, it is committing said resources for 4 years to an udfa who has had one good year as a primary receiver 3 yrs ago. Williams might turn out to be great or he might just be avg and overpaid for the next 3 years. No elite receivers in fa this year. Maybe bring in a veteran like Tate or Brown for two years and draft one in 2nd rnd, a lot of wr talent in this draft.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1