Movies you're surprised Hollywood hasn't made a sequel or reboot...yet

dpberr

Not saying I necessarily want them, but movies I could see happening

• Ferris Bueller's Day Off (yes, I know there was a terrible spin-off show)
  • Back to the Future (I'd be okay with a sequel under the right conditions, but stay the hell away from a reboot.)
  • Adam Sandler's movies have bombed lately, I wouldn't be surprised if a Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, or Waterboy sequel soon.
    • I've read rumors of Mike Myers working on Austin Powers 4 and Wayne's World 3 for like ten years. 

Logan's Run.  Mainly because it takes a very hedonistic view of human society which is very much in vogue today.  Not sure how they would "update" it.  Christianity is very obviously absent but the belief of a better "next life" if you will means you have a higher belief than a physical graspable universe.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Grumpy Old Men

grumpier old men was released...

my choice would be (sequels):

Napolean Dynamite

The Big Lebowski

Old School

and for reboots:

Smokey and the Bandit

Edited by wnysteel

55 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

grumpier old men was released...

my choice would be (sequels):

Napolean Dynamite

The Big Lebowski

Old School

and for reboots:

Smokey and the Bandit

Napolean Dynamite had an animated series with the original actors that was terrible. Although seeing an actual movie of Napolean living adult life would be interesting.

Going Places is an upcoming American crime comedy film written by, directed by, and starring John Turturro, acting as both a remake of the 1974 French film of the same name by Bertrand Blier, and a spin-off to the 1998 cult film The Big Lebowski by the Coen brothers, from which Turturro reprises his role as Jesus Quintana.

Old School would be interesting. As for the Smokey and the Bandit reboot, while that can go wrong in so many ways, it could also be awesome. And it can't be any worse than the sequels. 

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Spiderman

Its been more then a year since the last one came out (not including the new cartoon one if that counts as a reboot?) so its about time they reboot it and start fresh...........

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The Warriors 

Wasn't it remade within the last decade or so?

Just looked it up, there was a video game released that I think resparked some interest in the old movie.

There looks like in the last 5 years or so theres been talk of a remake being made along with a TV show for HULU

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

Sequels already coming IIRC

8 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They made a Sandlot 2. It was terrible. 

Yeah, thats the problem, there are some movies that have sequels that were 'straight to dvd/video' that many never new were made (which might be a good thing)

I think there were like 4 'Home Alones' made

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 1

The Great Escape

16 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

The Stand  

^this

15 hours ago, Foxx said:

they could redo avatar, but instead of aliens in outer space , they should do it with indians in the old west.  and they should cast kevin costner

3 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I'm surprised they haven't remade "Jaws" as the same movie except replaced the mechanical shark with a CGI shark. A lot of fans of the original would probably hate them doing that but I think it would still make a ton of money at the box office.

it's called sharknado

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

• Back to the Future (I'd be okay with a sequel under the right conditions, but stay the hell away from a reboot.)
  • Adam Sandler's movies have bombed lately, I wouldn't be surprised if a Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, or Waterboy sequel soon.
    • I've read rumors of Mike Myers working on Austin Powers 4 and Wayne's World 3 for like ten years. 

Blasphomy.  Zemickis assured their wouldn't be a reboot or sequel.

4 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I'm surprised they haven't remade "Jaws" as the same movie except replaced the mechanical shark with a CGI shark. A lot of fans of the original would probably hate them doing that but I think it would still make a ton of money at the box office.

Check out The Meg. 

17 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

If done right(major if) I could see a sequel to Happy Gilmore working.  Happy had some financial struggles and is now coming out of retirement to take on the Senior tour or some s*** like that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

Grumpy Old Men

20 hours ago, dpberr said:

The Goonies

Both of these need to be redone by an all female cast as not to ruin the original

My contribution:

Road House

The Beverly Hillbillies

Mr Smith Goes To Washington (would be hysterically funny now)

Iron Eagle

Over the Top

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Both of these need to be redone by an all female cast as not to ruin the original

My contribution:

Road House

The Beverly Hillbillies

Iron Eagle

Over the Top

You have my support for a new Iron Eagle.  I think that concept would be exciting in a "24" format where it happens in the span of a day.  I might flip it around a little and have a very retired pilot play the Gedrick role and an active pilot play the Gossett role.  

Road House is a favorite of mine but it would be a challenge because when you really think about that movie, what exactly was the overarching plot?  ?

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

You have my support for a new Iron Eagle.  I think that concept would be exciting in a "24" format where it happens in the span of a day.  I might flip it around a little and have a very retired pilot play the Gedrick role and an active pilot play the Gossett role.  

Road House is a favorite of mine but it would be a challenge because when you really think about that movie, what exactly was the overarching plot?  ?

Sam Elliot could still be in it.  And get the Captain America dude to play Patrick swayze. 

Oh. And the plot?

Edited by Boyst62

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Bad guy wants to build a JC Penney.  Brick and mortar retail is dying so that won't work.  Now that I think about that would not work for a fair amount of old television where the villain wants to cheat somebody out of their old house or farm for development property if redone today.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

If done right(major if) I could see a sequel to Happy Gilmore working.  Happy had some financial struggles and is now coming out of retirement to take on the Senior tour or some s*** like that.

Billy Madison can work well too. Billy, who's now a reasonably responsible adult, and successfully running the Madison hotel chain. However, now he has a son that's a chip off the old block. Billy Jr pulls a "You have no idea how hard school is, grandpa basically handed you the company." So Billy does the same challenge, along with his late teen, early 20s son, to prove it to him.

18 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Napolean Dynamite had an animated series with the original actors that was terrible. Although seeing an actual movie of Napolean living adult life would be interesting.

Going Places is an upcoming American crime comedy film written by, directed by, and starring John Turturro, acting as both a remake of the 1974 French film of the same name by Bertrand Blier, and a spin-off to the 1998 cult film The Big Lebowski by the Coen brothers, from which Turturro reprises his role as Jesus Quintana.

Old School would be interesting. As for the Smokey and the Bandit reboot, while that can go wrong in so many ways, it could also be awesome. And it can't be any worse than the sequels. 

you couldn't redo Napolean today, even if it was admiring him it would still be shot down by the "usual suspects" in the media and Hollywood

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Blasphomy.  Zemickis assured their wouldn't be a reboot or sequel.

This is why I said under the right conditions. It would only work IF at least Bob, Christopher Lloyd, Michael J Fox, Thomas F. Wilson, and Lea Thompson were involved. Which Bob said he's not up to it. Michael J Fox obviously has health conditions. Christopher Lloyd recently said he'd be up to it if it happened, granted he's 80. But even with all of the elements I just mentioned, I'm still not sure it would work.

The other sequels were direct continuations, picking up right where the last one left off. But those were only five years apart. Although Christopher Lloyd is now about the age that he was supposed to be in the movies, would we be able to suspend our disbelief that Michael J Fox isn't a teenager anymore? 

48 minutes ago, Bullpen said:

I'm actually surprised Trading Places hasn't had a sequel or a reboot yet.  Most of the main actors are still around for a sequel or I'm sure they could cast Kevin Hart in a reboot. 

Although anti-racist in general there are a fair amount of non-PC moments in the film that if deleted will harm the essence of it.  Valentine's house party with his street associates, Lewis Winthorp proposing assault with a deadly weapon, Beeks in the guerrilla cage, and street hookers in general to name a few.  I thought the original was fairly cast dependent with Murphy, Ackroyd, Ameche, Bellamy, and even Paul Gleason as the slimy Clarence Beeks. 

57 minutes ago, Bullpen said:

I'm actually surprised Trading Places hasn't had a sequel or a reboot yet.  Most of the main actors are still around for a sequel or I'm sure they could cast Kevin Hart in a reboot. 

Please, don't. There's a huge difference between Eddie Murphy and Kevin Hart. Mainly, Eddie Murphy is funny. 

23 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Please, don't. There's a huge difference between Eddie Murphy and Kevin Hart. Mainly, Eddie Murphy is funny. 

Eddie Murphy is trying to break out of his over the top funny movies.  Check out Mr. Church. He did an awesome job!

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I can't wait to hear who you would cast as Sloth.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Here comes two!

2 hours ago, Bullpen said:

I wonder what @Deep Voice has to say about this.

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This is why I said under the right conditions. It would only work IF at least Bob, Christopher Lloyd, Michael J Fox, Thomas F. Wilson, and Lea Thompson were involved. Which Bob said he's not up to it. Michael J Fox obviously has health conditions. Christopher Lloyd recently said he'd be up to it if it happened, granted he's 80. But even with all of the elements I just mentioned, I'm still not sure it would work.

The other sequels were direct continuations, picking up right where the last one left off. But those were only five years apart. Although Christopher Lloyd is now about the age that he was supposed to be in the movies, would we be able to suspend our disbelief that Michael J Fox isn't a teenager anymore? 

If they had most of the original actors, same director, and a solid script I'd be good with it.  The delorean was destroyed so they'd have to use the flying train.  They could certainly play with the ages of the actors through time travel to make it work.  It would have to be a really good script though.  My guess is you'd need an '85 Biff/Doc and a '15 Marty to make it work with how hold the actors are now.