Movies you're surprised Hollywood hasn't made a sequel or reboot...yet

dpberr

On 1/8/2019 at 2:12 PM, Another Fan said:

The Warriors 

Loved the movie, but not surprised it hasn't been made again.

I thought "The Goonies" mentioned up-thread is a good contender for this sort of thing.

Someone mentioned "Back to the Future".  WTF?  didn't they make a bunch of sequels?

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Forbidden Planet.

So many science fiction films re-made, yet this one remains untouched. I'm shocked by this.

The masses do not want sci-fi that requires thought.  A reason why recent Star Trek films center around an uber-bad guy as opposed to facing the unknown.  I would love to see an episode such as "The Corbomite Maneuver" done as a feature motion picture but it just ain't happening.  Anyways, FP is a very good film and a milestone for what was to come in the genre.  

Edited by RochesterRob

16 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Its been more then a year since the last one came out (not including the new cartoon one if that counts as a reboot?) so its about time they reboot it and start fresh...........

Congratulations, you got the joke.;)

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If they had most of the original actors, same director, and a solid script I'd be good with it.  The delorean was destroyed so they'd have to use the flying train.  They could certainly play with the ages of the actors through time travel to make it work.  It would have to be a really good script though.  My guess is you'd need an '85 Biff/Doc and a '15 Marty to make it work with how hold the actors are now.

The good thing about it being time travel, is that they can put something in there about going back in time to save the DeLorean. If the makeup team is as good as they were in 85/90 when they made teenage Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, etc, look middle aged, couple it with modern day CGI, it can work really well.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

The masses do not want sci-fi that requires thought.  A reason why recent Star Trek films center around an uber-bad guy as opposed to facing the unknown.  I would love to see an episode such as "The Corbomite Maneuver" done as a feature motion picture but it just ain't happening.  Anyways, FP is a very good film and a milestone for what was to come in the genre.  

I get what you are saying. Forbidden Planet has it's fun moments as well, and I think a re-make of it would be a good idea.

Steven Spielberg's re-make of "War of the Worlds" & Peter Jackson's "King Kong" are exceptional films.

Of course there was also the re-make of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". :death:

20 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Although anti-racist in general there are a fair amount of non-PC moments in the film that if deleted will harm the essence of it.  Valentine's house party with his street associates, Lewis Winthorp proposing assault with a deadly weapon, Beeks in the guerrilla cage, and street hookers in general to name a few.  I thought the original was fairly cast dependent with Murphy, Ackroyd, Ameche, Bellamy, and even Paul Gleason as the slimy Clarence Beeks. 

Agreed, there are some parts that definitely couldn't be redone point by point, and I'm not saying I would approve of a reboot at all. In fact, I wouldn't. I'm just surprised one has not been done. To be honest I would rather see a 30 years later sequel or something if they absolutely HAD to do something with that movie to bring it back. 

20 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Please, don't. There's a huge difference between Eddie Murphy and Kevin Hart. Mainly, Eddie Murphy is funny. 

Again, I'm not saying I condone it, but it seems like Hart is the African-American comedian du jour right now and until very recently with the Academy Awards fiasco everyone was basically throwing every single thing at him. 

17 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Forbidden Planet.

So many science fiction films re-made, yet this one remains untouched. I'm shocked by this.

They redid The Day the Earth Stood Still, which was a favorite of mine along with Forbidden Planet. 

Unfortunately, the redone version of The Day the Earth Stood Still was awful. Putrid. A travesty.  

Fun fact... the animation of The Id Monster for Forbiden Planet as it was being zapped by the electric fence was done by Disney animators. Compare it to the scene “Night on Bald Mountain” in Fantasia.  Same monster.

Fun fact 2:  Robby the Robot first appeared in Forbidden Planet.  That same robot appeared in several movies, and also showed up in the TV show Lost in Space as a bad guy robot.  (Not the same as the robot that waved its arms and said “Warning! Danger!” In almost every episode.)