NFL fines Jordan Mills more than Kiko and Quinn

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Id love to know how they decide who gets fined what because this looks like a damn joke to me.

Magic 8 ball?

It is baffling, but the only thing I can think of is that the league has always been harder on those reacting to stupid **** than those who initiate the stupid ****.

It is completely bass-ackwards. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Id love to know how they decide who gets fined what because this looks like a damn joke to me.

There's an official schedule of fines the NFL publishes.  Mills was fined the minimum for a first-time penalty for "excessive profanity/other unsportsmanlike conduct."  Kiko and Quinn were find the minimums for a first-time "striking/kicking/kneeing/face mask/late hit" (Kiko I presume for kicking, Quinn I'm not sure.)

The fines were applied fairly...it's just that the rules are *****, when the fine for "excessive swearing" is less than the fine for kicking someone in the face.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There's an official schedule of fines the NFL publishes.  Mills was fined the minimum for a first-time penalty for "excessive profanity/other unsportsmanlike conduct."  Kiko and Quinn were find the minimums for a first-time "striking/kicking/kneeing/face mask/late hit" (Kiko I presume for kicking, Quinn I'm not sure.)

The fines were applied fairly...it's just that the rules are *****, when the fine for "excessive swearing" is less than the fine for kicking someone in the face.

take away- cheap shot someone-then call them a pansy-avoiding Carlins 7 words we aren't allowed to say.  ok 

nfl, got it

Edited by Pete

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's so stupid. We should get a fundraiser going to pay the fine. 

Pretty sure Mills has 13 grand laying around somewhere. What we should do is start a go fund me to get the asshat who decides these fines fired.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously Tom?

Rhetorical question as I believe you, but if I understand that correctly, as long as Kiko uses a different dirty play he gets off with a light fine. How messed up is that?

"Kicked with left foot, kicked with right foot, elbow to head... that is just silly", should just be a running total of calls against Alonso for unnecessary roughness against a QBs who have given themselves up - I know he has more than a few of those under his belt.

Edited by WideNine

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

take away- cheap shot someone-then call them a pansy-avoiding Carlins 7 words we aren't allowed to say.  ok 

nfl, got it

It's seems like it doesn't make sense, at first glance.  But if you really think about it, you'll figure out that your first impression was right and it really doesn't make any sense.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, WideNine said:

Seriously Tom?

Rhetorical question as I believe you, but if I understand that correctly, as long as Kiko uses a different dirty play he gets off with a light fine. How messed up is that?

"Kicked with left foot, kicked with right foot, elbow to head... that is just silly", should just be a running total of calls against Alonzo for unnecessary roughness against a QBs who have given themselves up - I know he has more than a few of those under his belt.

Not quite.  Instances of fines are cumulative - next time he gets fined for failing to spear a QB and kicking them in the face instead, the minimum is doubled.  After that, it increases at the discretion of the league.  

But each on-field instance is treated as an isolated incident, in terms of fines.  Which means if Kiko spears five QBs, but only fined the fifth time, it's the "first offense" as fines are concerned.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It's seems like it doesn't make sense, at first glance.  But if you really think about it, you'll figure out that your first impression was right and it really doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense when you recall that the NFL doesnt give half a brown crayola about player safety.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

When you watch the replay Mills was one of the later guys to get in the pile and was just trying to pull players off of the pile while he was getting his facemask ripped at.

It was probably when Quinn was pulling his face mask, and Mills was repeatedly shouting "Get your ***** fingers out of my ***** mask, you ***** *****!"  

He should have just kneed Quinn in the balls until he let go.  It's the lesser infraction.  :wacko:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Not quite.  Instances of fines are cumulative - next time he gets fined for failing to spear a QB and kicking them in the face instead, the minimum is doubled.  After that, it increases at the discretion of the league.  

But each on-field instance is treated as an isolated incident, in terms of fines.  Which means if Kiko spears five QBs, but only fined the fifth time, it's the "first offense" as fines are concerned.  

So much for trying to make the game safer.

I don't mind Mills doing what he did, and I think we all have enough of an idea of how McDermott reacted (off camera), probably hugged the big guy.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Absurd.

Kiko clearly tried to take Josh (and his head) out at full speed. It was just pure luck that there was no helmet to helmet spear, which could have been catastrophic.

There's no schedule of fines for "Trying to be unnecessarily rough."  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

There's no schedule of fines for "Trying to be unnecessarily rough."  

That is one of the reasons why this is absurd.

All one has to do is compare the punishment of what that prick tried to do with what Mills got to appreciate how absurd the "schedule of fines" is.

Just now, Peter said:

That is one of the reasons why this is absurd.

That's one of the reason's it's not absurd.  It's objectively based on what happens, not subjectively based on an arbitrary measure of the player's failed intent.

The reason it's absurd is because it weighs swearing at an official as roughly four times as bad as swearing at another player, which is still higher than kicking a player in the head.  

And again...Kiko was fined for kicking Allen in the head.  He was fined for what actually happened, not what didn't happen but could have.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's so stupid. We should get a fundraiser going to pay the fine. 

Really?? A fundraiser to pay the fine of a millionaire? How about a fundraiser to help the homeless or other charitable causes?

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Pretty sure Mills has 13 grand laying around somewhere. What we should do is start a go fund me to get the asshat who decides these fines fired.

No, see my comment above.

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So much for protecting the QB.  Maybe Cam has a point when he says they only protect certain QBs.

He is totally right. Big, strong QBs don't get the same protection as small, fragile ones- especially if they are running. People think Newton and Allen will be fine because they're 6-4 and 235 lbs, whereas Brees and/or Brady would be killed by a similar hit.

Edited by vincec