Is the Pro Bowl worth going to?

Thinking of taking my two sons to the pro bowl in Orlando this year (ages 14 and 16) and wondered if anyone has been before and what their thoughts were? It would be a 2.5 hour drive there plus the cost of tickets, hotel, food, etc., just wondering if it's worth it?

Depending on how much it costs, it can be a good weekend but mostly for the kids. They might be slightly older than an age where kids really enjoy activities around the game. I took my son a while back when he was pretty young. They had the skill competitions which were a good time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lol, yea definitely not worth watching on TV, was kinda hoping the actual event would be better. I agree about the age, when we lived in NY used to take them to the family event at training camp and they loved that, but that was years ago. I also like the idea Jim Kelly will be there but doubt we would get close enough to make a difference. 

40 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

Thinking of taking my two sons to the pro bowl in Orlando this year (ages 14 and 16) and wondered if anyone has been before and what their thoughts were? It would be a 2.5 hour drive there plus the cost of tickets, hotel, food, etc., just wondering if it's worth it?

You'll be able to watch Kyle Williams represent us one last time...if i was that close I would do it in a heartbeat just for that...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

Did you take your two young men to the Miami game this year?

1 minute ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I think it would be fun to take in some of the stuff surrounding the event and spending some time at Disney. But the game itself, meh. 

He lives 2.5 hours outside of Orlando.

53 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

It might be fun for the kids, but the itself will be a piece of crap

Semi-related:  I heard on the radio this morning that Ovechkin was being fined for not playing the NHL all star game.  Does the NFL fine players for not playing?  Seems like no one good actually plays in the games.  The games always suck, anyway and I haven't watched in over a decade.  I just wonder if the live experience would be better if people weren't watching 3rd alternates play horrible football.

1 hour ago, BattlinBill said:

if they REALLY enjoy football then sure but otherwise find other activities to do.

It depends.  What will the weather be like where your home is, versus the site of the pro bowl?  With just a 2.5 hour drive, it's probably not worth it.  If you can escape a blizzard and take a week of vacation, go for it!

Edited by TigerJ

If it’s 90% about the getaway with the boys it could be awesome, as long as you have other things planned to make it worthwhile. Family time is always worth it, but that joke of a game might not be. Still, while it’s not real football, it could be a cool experience with your boys. 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I live in orlando and might go to a few of surrounding activities but game is boring according to friends who went last year. But come and visit our city- it is fun.

I’ve gone with my then young boys for NCAA hoops, and went back for the Sweet 16 about 2-3 years ago. While I loved the hoops, it was great to just be away with the family. It can be a blast, but don’t count on the Pro Bowl providing quality entertainment. (We lived in Sarasota 18 years so were were there all the time, more for AAU hoops than Disney type stuff.) 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Semi-related:  I heard on the radio this morning that Ovechkin was being fined for not playing the NHL all star game.  Does the NFL fine players for not playing?  Seems like no one good actually plays in the games.  The games always suck, anyway and I haven't watched in over a decade.  I just wonder if the live experience would be better if people weren't watching 3rd alternates play horrible football.

Nope I don’t believe they do for the Pro bowl

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Only if you are going for Disney first and foremost. 

Well, Orlando has a LOT more than Disney, but if you mean the Pro Bowl is basically garbage entertainment, YES. 

The Pro Bowl never has been worth going to, or watching!   It started just because the AFL/NFL merged.  I remember the early years in Honolulu, tickets used to be given away, just to try to put some people in the stadium.  The Hawaiians didn't care, and it was too far away/expensive for most fans to bother considering attending, so Aloha Stadium usually looked very empty.

It's a meaningless game,and if you're a player, who wants to risk injury in such a situation?

I recommend that you get a schedule of all the NFL player events that take place during the week prior to the game. My understanding is that these events are more entertaining than the game.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve gone with my then young boys for NCAA hoops, and went back for the Sweet 16 about 2-3 years ago. While I loved the hoops, it was great to just be away with the family. It can be a blast, but don’t count on the Pro Bowl providing quality entertainment. (We lived in Sarasota 18 years so were were there all the time, more for AAU hoops than Disney type stuff.) 

Orlando can be fun even without the theme parks- but i have to admit the cost of almost everything has been shooting up lately. I hope yall come and visit.

13 hours ago, BattlinBill said:

I can think of 50 other things I'd rather do instead of watching that game, one of which involves me driving a nail through my foot.

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The Pro Bowl never has been worth going to, or watching!   It started just because the AFL/NFL merged.  I remember the early years in Honolulu, tickets used to be given away, just to try to put some people in the stadium.  The Hawaiians didn't care, and it was too far away/expensive for most fans to bother considering attending, so Aloha Stadium usually looked very empty.

It's a meaningless game,and if you're a player, who wants to risk injury in such a situation?

That’s not true. The Pro Bowl has a much longer history than that. It started in 1951, and its precursors go back another couple of decades. 

Personally I wouldn’t go unless I had nothing to do and it were within 50 miles of where I was that day. 

Anyone remember the Chicago College All Star games?  The NFL Championship team would play that year’s crop of College All Stars. The College kids won 9 times and tied the Pros twice. 

14 minutes ago, Nanker said:

That’s not true. The Pro Bowl has a much longer history than that. It started in 1951, and its precursors go back another couple of decades. 

Personally I wouldn’t go unless I had nothing to do and it were within 50 miles of where I was that day. 

Anyone remember the Chicago College All Star games?  The NFL Championship team would play that year’s crop of College All Stars. The College kids won 9 times and tied the Pros twice. 

The "modern day" pro bowl started because of the merger.  NFC pros vs AFC Pros.     

Wrong again. The NFL has a Pro Bowl between its two conferences. It started in 1951 and was played in LA until 1970 when it was moved to Hawaii. 

Reference cited: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl#History_of_the_Pro_Bowl

”The concept of an all-star game was not revived until June 1950, when the newly christened "Pro Bowl" was approved. The game was sponsored by the Los Angeles Publishers Association. It was decided that the game would feature all-star teams from each of the league's two conferences rather than the league champion versus all-star format which had been used previously.”

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Wrong again. The NFL has a Pro Bowl between its two conferences. It started in 1951 and was played in LA until 1970 when it was moved to Hawaii. 

Reference cited: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl#History_of_the_Pro_Bowl

”The concept of an all-star game was not revived until June 1950, when the newly christened "Pro Bowl" was approved. The game was sponsored by the Los Angeles Publishers Association. It was decided that the game would feature all-star teams from each of the league's two conferences rather than the league champion versus all-star format which had been used previously.”

Ah, the minutia of CONCEPTS!:doh:

Lol, you all are kinda reaffirming my fears of going and wasting the weekend. Pretty much theme parked out in Orlando so they wouldn't offer much side entertainment. I was hoping there would be more to do prior to the game, maybe get a chance to meet some of the players. If I knew for sure we would be able to meet Kyle Williams I would definitely go, that and the hope of seeing Jim Kelly. 

16 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Did you take your two young men to the Miami game this year?

He lives 2.5 hours outside of Orlando.

I didn't this year but did last year for the New Years eve game, best moment of Bill's history since my oldest was born. Like I said he is 16 and that was the first time he was able to feel a little of the magic we felt from the superbowl years. Heck, he even hugged me when Cincinnati scored their touchdown, you know he must of been excited for him to hug his dad?

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Ah, the minutia of CONCEPTS!:doh:

You must have a reading comprehension problem. The “NFL PRO BOWL” has been in existence since 1951. 

What- you think the NCAA Football “Champion” was only started with the new Playoff structure? :wacko: