Would you trade Wentz?

Virgil

I’m going to take a beating for this one.  Anyways......

If you are the Eagles, is any part of you debating trading Wentz this offseason?  The team not only won a Super Bowl with Foles, but they played completely differently underneath him this season, to the point where they turned the season around and made the playoffs.  

I understand Foles history before the past two years, but has he not proven enough with the Eagles to know you can win with him?   He’s only 29, so he could easily have another 5-10 years left.  

Wentz trade value would be insane.  

I know this won’t happen and I know the knee jerk reactions, but I’m kinda serious here.  

Why not?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If you are the Eagles, is any part of you debating trading Wentz this offseason?  The team not only won a Super Bowl with Foles, but they played completely differently underneath him this season, to the point where they turned the season around and made the playoffs.  

I understand Foles history before the past two years, but has he not proven enough with the Eagles to know you can win with him?   He’s only 29, so he could easily have another 5-10 years left.  

I know this won’t happen and I know the knee jerk reactions, but I’m kinda serious here.  

Why not?

It's honestly a weird question... If he has even half of the run that he had last year, and the whole team plays better for him, it's really hard to send him away... 

Wentz could probably get two ones. I hate it though because it seems like the natural place for either of these two would be Miami. 

Edited by whatdrought

I just read an article that talked about this.  Where Wentz might be the better overall QB, but Foles is the better QB for the Eagles and their scheme.  

The other issue, and I didn’t realize how bad it is, that the Eagles are in cap hell. They can’t even afford to Franchise tag Foles and trade him.  So it would require a lot of money management. 

Made me feel leas crazy for asking.  They also have Darby’s contract coming up soon.  I’d love to bring him back. 

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Trade to who?

I have to think teams would trip over themselves to get him.  

Knowing our luck, the Pats 

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I guess it would depend how bad his back is. Could be hard to trade if he is damaged.

That’s another major point.  This is two straight seasons he couldn’t finish.  Going into his injury last year, I had him as the NFL MVP.  

It’s really interesting.  If Luck can bounce back, Wentz should be able to I hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just read an article that talked about this.  Where Wentz might be the better overall QB, but Foles is the better QB for the Eagles and their scheme.  

The other issue, and I didn’t realize how bad it is, that the Eagles are in cap hell. They can’t even afford to Franchise tag Foles and trade him.  So it would require a lot of money management. 

Made me feel leas crazy for asking.  They also have Darby’s contract coming up soon.  I’d love to bring him back. 

You just had to go there, didn't you ... ?

1. Pats lose in the divisional round. Brady plays like crap.

2. Belichick power play - I get a 2nd chance to prove I can win without Brady. You didn't let me do it with Jimmy G.; let me do it with Wentz

3. Kraft caves. Pushes Brady out. Trades Gronk and picks for Wentz.

41 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ron Darby is more of a M2M corner and McD is a zone guy.  Not going to happen for scheme and probably personality differences. 

That said, Philly looks real bad trading Wentz, who likely is still not healed 100% from his ACL tear.  They paid a king's ransom to move into 2nd and take him just 3 years ago.   

Every off-season gets longer and longer with all this speculation swirling 24/7. 

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

That's utter garbage. Wentz was playing an at MVP level before he got hurt last season.

People have short memories.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Why not?

I love Wentz but for some reason Philly seems to play better with Foles. The eagles would get kings ransom for Wentz and Foles isnt that old so i would do it.

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

bite your Tongue!

i would die if the pats got him.

i think the Broncos would go all out for him. I think the bidding war for Wentz would be the most fascinating part of the whole process and now i hope it happens but praying to God he goes anywhere but the AFC East.

51 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

2. Belichick power play - I get a 2nd chance to prove I can win without Brady. You didn't let me do it with Jimmy G.; let me do it with Wentz

Gronk is done but they would pay big.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Wentz is their future.  Foles is just a guy.  They will regret it if they stick with him after this season. 

Foles is 29.  Not even close to old for an NFL QB.  

And I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m looking at the final results of the past two seasons and you could argue that Foles overall gets it done better for the Eagles, even though he might not overall be the better QB

49 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Wentz cant stay healthy- a big problem to have. His value is probably a little lower then Philly would like right now. 

wont be an issue, Wentz is young and teams are desperate. I bet he pulls 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

Hell, didnt the Eagles get get two firsts for oft injured mediocre Bradford??

53 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

wont be an issue, Wentz is young and teams are desperate. I bet he pulls 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

Hell, didnt the Eagles get get two firsts for oft injured mediocre Bradford??

Wentz isnt getting anything near what you said, and Bradford went for a 1st and a 4th....

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Google search what?? What are you talking about?

All you had to do is type Sam Bradford trade to see that what you said was completely wrong. This isnt that hard.

What's your social security number? I have a few business ventures I'm interested in.

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

All you had to do is type Sam Bradford trade to see that what you said was completely wrong. This isnt that hard.

What's your social security number? I have a few business ventures I'm interested in.

id didn't feel like searching for bradford as it not worth my time. Point is they got way more than what hes worth and so would Wentz.

so this means im so dumb that i would fall for scam ?? Your logic is faulty and presume to know me when you have no clue.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

id didn't feel like searching for bradford as it not worth my time. Point is they got way more than what hes worth and so would Wentz.

so this means im so dumb that i would fall for scam ?? Your logic is faulty and presume to know me when you have no clue.

You're not even worth it. Everything you've said has been wrong in this thread.

Id didn't feel like my time... go have another beer.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're not even worth it. Everything you've said has been wrong in this thread.

Id didn't feel like my time... go have another beer.

i dont drink, proof you know nothing about me .And im right deal with it.

3 firsts and 2 seconds might be much but i bet he gets 2 firsts and 1 second and probably more.

No. Ridiculous thought. Has everyone forgotten how Foles looked the first two weeks of the season? It was that which caused them to rush Wentz back a bit early. I don't know what happens to Foles in December and January but it isn't representative of his overall body of work. 

I hope Foles ends up in Miami. They will continue to spin wheels with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. Ridiculous thought. Has everyone forgotten how Foles looked the first two weeks of the season? It was that which caused them to rush Wentz back a bit early. I don't know what happens to Foles in December and January but it isn't representative of his overall body of work. 

I hope Foles ends up in Miami. They will continue to spin wheels with him. 

It is the Tao of Eli. Get hot when the weather gets cold and beat the Patriots in the big show. 

Can't wait to see if Foles does it again. And I hope the Fins pay him Stafford money.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Josh Allen says bring it.

I'm not trading Wentz if I'm the Eagles, not yet. Foles has been excellent for this team in his opportunities, but Wentz is their future and was playing at an MVP level before the knee injury. I wouldn't give Wentz some crazy, $25,000,000 a year contract or anything just yet though. If I were the Eagles I would also probably overpay to keep Foles for another 2 years if possible cap wise and he was willing to stay. Windows are usually small in the NFL unlike we've seen with the Pats. Keep Foles and Wentz through 2020 if you can and keep pushing for those Lombardi's

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm not trading Wentz if I'm the Eagles, not yet. Foles has been excellent for this team in his opportunities, but Wentz is their future and was playing at an MVP level before the knee injury. I wouldn't give Wentz some crazy, $25,000,000 a year contract or anything just yet though. If I were the Eagles I would also probably overpay to keep Foles for another 2 years if possible cap wise and he was willing to stay. Windows are usually small in the NFL unlike we've seen with the Pats. Keep Foles and Wentz through 2020 if you can and keep pushing for those Lombardi's

I don’t think they can afford both.  They are in cap hell 

It's kind of weird. He gets hurt last year, Foles come in and leads them to a Super Bowl title. Super Bowl MVP. 

Carson comes back this year, struggles the entire year. Gets hurt, Foles comes in and leads them to a 3-game win streak and back to the playoffs. 

At what point do you put Foles back on the bench?

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

how many teams can pay the 2nd QB $25M?

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why not?

Yes I would.  Not because Foles is so great, but because Wentz is both an injury risk and development risk who can still get a high value for. Meanwhile, they are winning more with Foles anyway.

How many young QBs were CROWNED the next greatest because of a small window of success?  Guys like Kap, Tannehill, Carr even got massive contracts over it.  

Wentz had 10 weeks where he looked like he was on his way to being a top 10 QB.  He didn’t do much before that and hasn’t gotten back to it since then either.

Meanwhile Foles won them a SB and then got them back to playoffs this year after Wentz was failing this season to get the team winning.

People will still pay a lot for Wentz based on that small window he showed.  But if he comes back next year and isn’t getting the job done, his value plummets.  So I would trade him now and try to get as much as you can and rebuild other parts of roster while starting Foles.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I also read on this very board that Amari Cooper would not fetch a 1st. 

I read on this board that NO ONE would give 2 firsts for Mack.

I don't think Wentz would fetch that much, but it only takes 1 team to jump and you never know.

I also find it odd that a fanbase that pounds the tables when saying numbers don't tell the story when it comes to Josh Allen use numbers to justify Wentz over Foles. If Foles takes them to a 2nd straight SB...results matter. Not numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1