Would you trade Wentz?

Virgil

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

That's utter garbage. Wentz was playing an at MVP level before he got hurt last season.

People have short memories.

Yes people have short memories...like forgetting about how many times young QBs found some early short term success and got crowned before they really earned it.  

Carr was having an MVP contending season before getting hurt, has yet to recapture that or even come close to that level again for example.  

Wentz had a 10 game stretch.  Wasn’t that good the year before as a rookie and wasn’t as good this year either.  So there are more games of him not playing at an MVP level, including his latest body of work.

Doesnt mean he can’t be that good again, but it does mean that Wentz has not yet proved who he is really is.  As of now, he’s still a young promising QB who found some high level success over a stretch of games.  But all this crowning of him is way premature.  

And in my personal opinion, I don’t think Eagles win SB with Wentz last year as, I don’t think it’s reasonable to think the game Foles played in the SB would have been matched by Wentz.  It was a perfect game by Foles, and the Eagles needed every inch of that perfection to over come Brady who was on fire himself.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No. Ridiculous thought. Has everyone forgotten how Foles looked the first two weeks of the season? It was that which caused them to rush Wentz back a bit early. I don't know what happens to Foles in December and January but it isn't representative of his overall body of work. 

I hope Foles ends up in Miami. They will continue to spin wheels with him. 

I agree Foles isn’t great per se, but he keeps winning for them and they could get a lot for Wentz right now.  I think it will come down to how Eagles do in the playoffs.

Im not sold on Wentz, not down on him, just not sold.  I never like to over value small windows of success.  And injury concerns are also part of equation.  I mean before Wentz it was guys like Carr and Dak who were being crowned after early success and aren’t even in top 15 consideration anymore.  

I doubt Eagles would trade Wentz, but I would look at it if they could get a lot for him.  If Foles takes them deep in playoffs again, even back to the SB, I think this idea gets some traction.  Eagles one and done, 0% chance of Wentz being traded.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bears will end this debate. They are the perfect team to show Foles' limitations. 

Very true...I fully expect the Bears to win that game.  But if Foles pulls it out...things could get a little more interesting

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree Foles isn’t great per se, but he keeps winning for them and they could get a lot for Wentz right now.  I think it will come down to how Eagles do in the playoffs.

Im not sold on Wentz, not down on him, just not sold.  I never like to over value small windows of success.  And injury concerns are also part of equation.  I mean before Wentz it was guys like Carr and Dak who were being crowned after early success and aren’t even in top 15 consideration anymore.  

I doubt Eagles would trade Wentz, but I would look at it if they could get a lot for him.  If Foles takes them deep in playoffs again, even back to the SB, I think this idea gets some traction.  Eagles one and done, 0% chance of Wentz being traded.

I am not as sold on Wentz as some others either. I am also not buying Nick Foles. He played the game of his life in the Superbowl, no doubt. The rest is a mirage. He isn't very good. 

9 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If Foles can make another run this is going to be a very interesting off season. What do you do with the QB who has made both of your playoff runs? If he hits free agency, someone will give Foles a disgusting contract. 

A friend and of a friend of mine works in the eagles front office as a salary cap analitics guy.  Basically he projects if a players production will be worth his contract.  

I'm not sure if he would be privy to this info or not so take this with a grain of salt, but he said no one offered more than a 4th for foles.  I was shocked no one offered more. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not as sold on Wentz as some others either. I am also not buying Nick Foles. He played the game of his life in the Superbowl, no doubt. The rest is a mirage. He isn't very good. 

I don’t disagree with this by any means, he had back to back monster games in Conf champ and Super Bowl, but his overall body of work is not inspiring.  However, it’s hard to argue that for whatever reason Eagles can and do win with him, and this year more so than with Wentz.  So if I got a big offer for Wentz it would be very tempting if I am the Eagles GM.  Especially considering the back to back serious injury he has endured last 2 seasons.

Add in the fact that they can extend Foles for a lot less than what it will take to resign Wentz (as young QBs always get way more than they have earned) and I would be tempted to build a better team around Foles long term by having the assets Wentz would fetch and the forward moving cap flexibility to spend more money elsewhere because Foles will be cheaper long run.  Someone mentioned here that they already have cap issues.  I am not personally aware of their cap situation, but if true then this gets a little more tempting to explore if Foles shows well again in the postseason.

But like I said earlier, I don’t give Eagles much chance to beat the Bears and I expect all this talk to go away if they get bounced next week.  Then again, I gave Eagles no chance last year and they not only advanced but watched Foles go in to out duel a 500 yard game by Brady, something else I thought would never happen.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i dont drink, proof you know nothing about me .And im right deal with it.

3 firsts and 2 seconds might be much but i bet he gets 2 firsts and 1 second and probably more.

I think you were right the first time.  His haul would be insane.  Mack brought in two 1st rounder plus change.  The QB premium adds another 1st imo. 

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

No. He's still cheap. I'd start Nick in 2019 though. Nick is better for their offense but not as talented as Wentz.

I dont think Nick is under contract next year. could be wrong but I thought this was his last year remaining on a 2 yr deal

Trading Wentz would go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the NFL. The only way he's not a top 5 QB for a LONG time is injury. Nick Foles is like a VERY wealthy man's Ryan Fitzpatrick. Hard not to be impressed by his runs, but I don't want to go into a season with him as the guy. Every time he's been "the guy," he's eventually fitzled out. If the Eagles were to make this kind of move, they're clearly worried about Wentz's long term health.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Was having MVP season last year and got hurt late.

This year comes back arguably not at full strength yet.  Completes 69% and has a 21 td and 7 Int season.  Not great, but definitely good enough to call any calls to trade him for Foles a ridiculous overreaction

That’s a bird’s eye view. Explain the difference in Jeffery’s play with Foles being out there? Is it the play calling? Is it Wentz? He locks in on Ertz too much. He could be great but Foles looks legit. I think it’s something that they have to atleast discuss.

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Trading Wentz would go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the NFL. The only way he's not a top 5 QB for a LONG time is injury. Nick Foles is like a VERY wealthy man's Ryan Fitzpatrick. Hard not to be impressed by his runs, but I don't want to go into a season with him as the guy. Every time he's been "the guy," he's eventually fitzled out. If the Eagles were to make this kind of move, they're clearly worried about Wentz's long term health.

hey we traded Daryle Lamonica so ...

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont think Nick is under contract next year. could be wrong but I thought this was his last year remaining on a 2 yr deal

He's technically under contract but it's unlikely his option will get picked up:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/26/nick-foles-carson-wentz-philadelphia-eagles-contracts-2019

1. The Eagles must decide if they are going to exercise the option to keep Foles (and his $20 million salary) 30 days prior the 2019 league year, meaning in the week following the Super Bowl.

2. If the Eagles do not exercise the option, Foles becomes a free agent.

3. If and when the Eagles exercise the option, Foles must make a decision in the five days after that.

4. If Foles decides to void the option and cancel the contract, he must concurrently pay back the Eagles $2 million, the amount of his 2018 signing bonus, and he will then become a free agent.

5. If Foles decides not to void the option and remain with the Eagles, the $20 million salary becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2019 league year (March 18).

To summarize, the Eagles have the first decision point: whether to keep Foles at a $20 million salary. But even if they do, Foles can invalidate that decision by paying back $2 million and becoming a free agent. Alternatively, Foles can accept the option and his contract would become fully guaranteed if he is not released prior to March 18.

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I read somewhere he has a 20 mil option 

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

He's technically under contract but it's unlikely his option will get picked up:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/26/nick-foles-carson-wentz-philadelphia-eagles-contracts-2019

1. The Eagles must decide if they are going to exercise the option to keep Foles (and his $20 million salary) 30 days prior the 2019 league year, meaning in the week following the Super Bowl.

2. If the Eagles do not exercise the option, Foles becomes a free agent.

3. If and when the Eagles exercise the option, Foles must make a decision in the five days after that.

4. If Foles decides to void the option and cancel the contract, he must concurrently pay back the Eagles $2 million, the amount of his 2018 signing bonus, and he will then become a free agent.

5. If Foles decides not to void the option and remain with the Eagles, the $20 million salary becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2019 league year (March 18).

To summarize, the Eagles have the first decision point: whether to keep Foles at a $20 million salary. But even if they do, Foles can invalidate that decision by paying back $2 million and becoming a free agent. Alternatively, Foles can accept the option and his contract would become fully guaranteed if he is not released prior to March 18.

Yeah, what he said 

I'd absolutely keep Wentz over Foles.

The better question is I believe Wentz will probably start being a healthy scratch if Foles gets past the first round.. do you start Wentz? In this case I'd go with the hot hand in Foles and see if I can squeeze another miracle because I seriously doubt rusty Wentz has any chance whereas Foles is a 5% wildcard to make the run again.