Josh Allen’s Adjusted Completion Percentage = 72.7%

1 hour ago, WhyteDwarf said:

So, do you put that "drop" 100% on Clay?  Or is it 50/50 bad throw/drop, so it's a wash?

Its 100 % bad drop clay.

To blame Allen at all for doing heroic level scrambling, running over 50 yards in the process to then throw the ball off balance against his shoulder while his momentum still going against the direction he was throwing 60 yards in the air that lands in Clay's hands to then complain that he should have thrown it 62 yards in the air is simply ignorant.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Its 100 % bad drop clay.

To blame Allen at all for doing heroic level scrambling, running over 50 yards in the process to then throw the ball off balance against his shoulder while his momentum still going against the direction he was throwing 60 yards in the air that lands in Clay's hands to then complain that he should have thrown it 62 yards in the air is simply ignorant.

With a bum elbow to boot.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Its 100 % bad drop clay.

I just don't see a any objectivity in a lot of responses...  I can see Allen is already a saint and can do no wrong.

Edited by WhyteDwarf

10 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I just don't see a any objectivity in a lot of responses...  I can see Allen is already a saint and can do no wrong.

You mean you didn't like that I brought out facts to the debate?

Aside from my opinion that it was all Clay's fault, which one description of events that  I mentioned are inaccurate? 

Here is a good excerpt from Matt Fairburn's article on Foster in The Athletic (subscription) -  https://theathletic.com/717759/2018/12/16/that-boy-is-balling-robert-fosters-historic-production-sparks-bills-win-inspires-fellow-rookies/

Stat that matters: Not Josh Allen’s completion percentage

If you just look quickly at the box score, you’ll see Allen completed only 50 percent of his passes for just over 200 yards and view this as a ho-hum game. Other stats help provide context, though. For one, Allen averaged 23.4 air yards per target, second most in the league this week heading into “Sunday Night Football.” His receivers also had an average of 2.31 yards of separation at the time of the catch (second worst in the league) and 2.63 yards of separation at the time of the throw (worst in the league).

In other words, Allen was throwing to receivers who weren’t getting open often and was still pushing the ball down field like few quarterbacks in the league. On passes that traveled at least 15 yards in the air, Josh Allen was 5-12 for 142 yards and a touchdown. His 142 yards in that category led the league on Sunday.

Allen wasn’t perfect. He threw two passes that could have been intercepted and had a careless fumble. But he also threw the ball away four times and made better decisions with the ball. Most importantly, he once again put the Bills in a position to win the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Stats do need to be put into context. Then again, which context? For me, it seems that if you had him stop throwing as many intermediate and deep passes, and give him more checkdown options, his completion percentage as well as his off-target percentage (as judged by ESPN) would improve a lot. 

What I really want to see - and I'm sure it's out there somewhere - is a week-by-week breakdown of his accuracy on short, intermediate and long throws. My guess is that he's improving in all areas. 

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

You mean you didn't like that I brought out facts to the debate?

Aside from my opinion that it was all Clay's fault, which one description of events that  I mentioned are inaccurate? 

It was an errant throw as well, but I guess you will refuse to see that.

2 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Here is a good excerpt from Matt Fairburn's article on Foster in The Athletic (subscription) -  https://theathletic.com/717759/2018/12/16/that-boy-is-balling-robert-fosters-historic-production-sparks-bills-win-inspires-fellow-rookies/

I know for a fact that there is at least one poster in this thread that has no real understanding on the concept of context....

5 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

It was an errant throw as well, but I guess you will refuse to see that.

My position on that throw is as follows:

If you ask any pass-catcher currently playing in the NFL, 100% of them will tell you that they expect to catch that ball with the game on the line

If you ask any QB currently employed by the NFL, you might get 5 of them (Allen included) that would tell you that they could've thrown that pass

Feel free to pick that apart if you're so inclined.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, cage said:

Amen....anyone who can't see that he's a budding star is blind.  If we re-drafted today and we had the #1 overall pick, would anyone really suggest the Bills would have taken anyone else?

Honestly 

Baker Mayfield if we were drafting #1 overall..  21Td's 3000 yds.... 63+% non adjusted completion rate. No arguing Mayfield is more polished early on

But I think Allen is  the proving to be the 2nd best rookie QB in this draft IMO

Edited by ddaryl

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

If you ask any pass-catcher currently playing in the NFL, 100% of them will tell you that they expect to catch that ball with the game on the line

If you ask any QB currently employed by the NFL, you might get 5 of them (Allen included) that would tell you that they could've thrown that pass

Clay got both arms under the ball, I dont think there is much room for debate on this. This guy seems like someone who was anti allen and came back disguised under a new name

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

But he didn't make the throw, a big part of the reason it wasn't caught.

I swear, this is like a flat earth argument...

Allen even admitted it wasn't a good throw.

Edited by WhyteDwarf

1 minute ago, WhyteDwarf said:

But he didn't make the throw, a big part of the reason it wasn't caught.

I swear, this is like a flat earth argument...

What?

The. Ball. Hit. Clay. In. The. Hands.

It wasn't perfect... but it was definitely catchable 

I'm hardly the guy that polishes apples on this type of issue either

Just now, thebandit27 said:

What?

The. Ball. Hit. Clay. In. The. Hands.

It wasn't perfect... but it was definitely catchable 

I'm hardly the guy that polishes apples on this type of issue either

The ball floated, it was a duck.  If he had set his feet, Clay catches it.  I'm not trying to remove all blame from Clay, but your take is absurd especially when Allen said it was a bad throw.

Either way, in the future Allen needs to make a better throw there.

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

he is 4-5 because of the trash out there we have catching the ball

he is 4-5 because he is a rookie

he is 4-5 because he is RAW talent with much to learn

he is 4-5 because of the trash offensive line we have.

Most Bills fans get this, A troll on the other hand would point out stupid facts like this,. Thus one would wonder.. With the amount of posts you have saying "He's 4-5 as a starter right?" is going to make people think you are a troll.

He makes 4-5 look pretty darn impressive. I mean, it’s all him out there with virtually zero help. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

More like he was a duck with the way he waddled to go after a perfectly placed ball.

And Clay is a very good example of how risky free agent signings can be.  I hope they don't waste their 80 million on a bunch of Clay's.

Edited by WhyteDwarf
  • Like (+1) 1

The real issue here is that and I gather this from most of the posters is that JA is and I mean IS improving.  I was very impressed with his new found ability to toss it outa bounds rather than risk the INT.  That's called progress kids.  Most of you see this - for whatever reason some do not.  That and his ability to now find his meager WR's and get the ball out that way.  Bottom line he took what the D gave him.  Is he the midget in Cleveland?  Nope but he is the Bills QB and his ceiling is higher than some will want to admit. JK didn't come out with 12-6 records right outa the chute, heck he even had a few years in the Trumpie League to further hone his skills PLUS he came from a football factory school.

JA is gonna be just fine....time and patience....stats be damned....as several have already said and I agree - he passes the eye test now.  First several games???  NOPE!  But some time on the bench has led to a better understanding for the game and he shows it.  All good.....now TROLL away!

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

As I see the argument thAt dropped passes are the cause of Josh's low completion percentage i think that for every drop he gets, he also severely over throws or under throws go guys open, so it's  wash.

I didn’t see the latter yesterday at all.  

12 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

The ball floated, it was a duck.  If he had set his feet, Clay catches it.  I'm not trying to remove all blame from Clay, but your take is absurd especially when Allen said it was a bad throw.

Either way, in the future Allen needs to make a better throw there.

It. Hit. Clay. In. The. Hands.

Clay said he should've caught it; does that mean that your take is absurd?

You seem to believe that how the ball looked as it traveled is somehow more important than where it landed :lol:

Well, I disagree...and so does Charles Clay

1 minute ago, Success said:

I didn’t see the latter yesterday at all.  

He had a few misses yesterday too

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Considering what he has had to work with on offense, which has continued to change throughout the season.....I'll take that record.

I sure hope I see his numbers improve like y'all are telling me they will when the "trash" is gone.  IMO it's foolish to think the team will have much success if he's around 55% for his career.

Edited by WhyteDwarf

1 minute ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I sure hope I see his numbers improve like y'all are telling me they will when the "trash" is gone.  IMO it's foolish to think the team will have much success if he's around 55% for his career.

We shall just have to wait and see.

Unless you are suggesting otherwise? Would you rather have a different QB as the starter for the Bills going forward?

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So you don't think Josh Allen is the right QB for this team?

I'm not sure how anyone can answer that yet, we'll find out when the team is "built", whenever that is.  I know that I was not happy when the Jets leapfrogged the Bills to pick Darnold.  The way I see it, Allen is as predicted, minus the running ability.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His other username is AllenWillBust

I just joined today...