The Trump Shutdown

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

The economy not doing well?

Look at the furniture capitol of the world, look at what's rural NC right now. Temp agencies can't keep enough temps to fill jobs paying $13+ for unskilled/unexperienced labor.  My company has waited months just to bring in 3 or 4 people. This is in an Economically downtrodden area where a majority of poeple just 20 years ago built wood furniture the old fashioned way.

Anyone saying the economy is not better than. Just 2015 when I began the position I'm in is a fool. We were paying minimum wage then. We can't now.

But that's the deplorable economy.  Not the real economy.

• Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

People didn't sit on money because the "economy is in the pooper." People sat on money because of the unpredictability of an Obama presidency, which made SMART companies spend cautiously because they NEVER knew when Obama was going to do something stupid again, like Obamacare, or the Recovery Act, or Cash for Clunkers, or just randomly throw out an EO to take their money to "make things more fair." He preached how those big companies "didn't build that" and "rich people  need to pay their fair share."

From a business standpoint, Obama was, far and away, the dumbest effer to be in the WH in years, and corporate America knew it, which is why they sat on their cash. Obama = uncertainty.

Trump is batschitt crazy, but at least the man actually accomplished something beyond "community organizer." I cant stand the guy and even I knew business was going to pop simply because he wasn't Obama (or Hillary).

Yes to all of this.  Obamas middle name should be changed from Hussein to "Malaise".  In spite of his soaring TelePrompter rhetoric, he had a way of just sucking the life out of everything he touched.  Except, of course, governmental overreach and regulation.  You know when a guy from the govt starts crowing about jobs someone else has created as jobs he has "saved", he's scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

He did however do a crackerjack job of stimulating the economy of Iran. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wait, are you really saying you think executives thought Obama was more of a wild card than Trump?

Well investors certainly did. We know that the stock market moves on expectations. Look at how it took off from 11-9-16 on.

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wait, are you really saying you think executives thought Obama was more of a wild card than Trump?

There's 8 years' worth of discussion about it in the Obama Economy thread, followed by a direct contrast in the Trump Economy thread.  To say that executives thought Obama was more of a wild card than Trump, is being kind to Obama.  The CEOs didn't think much of Obama's business acumen, and they knew well enough to sit on their hands and wait things out.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well investors certainly did. We know that the stock market moves on expectations. Look at how it took off from 11-9-16 on.

That was very telling.

I don't think President Trump has been terribly unpredictable with economic policy. People get the idea that he's whimsical because of his personality and off the cuff style, but when it comes to policy he's been pretty consistent. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wait have you looked at the markets or anything else since November 2016?

Trump for all his bluster was never the “pen and the phone” short-sighted do-gooder in regards to the US economy. 

Fear of catastrophic government interference stifles large and small businesses alike. Why do you think the Starbucks guy is deciding to run, Trump’s policies or the ones proposed by leftist candidates?

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

People didn't sit on money because the "economy is in the pooper." People sat on money because of the unpredictability of an Obama presidency, which made SMART companies spend cautiously because they NEVER knew when Obama was going to do something stupid again, like Obamacare, or the Recovery Act, or Cash for Clunkers, or just randomly throw out an EO to take their money to "make things more fair." He preached how those big companies "didn't build that" and "rich people  need to pay their fair share."

From a business standpoint, Obama was, far and away, the dumbest effer to be in the WH in years, and corporate America knew it, which is why they sat on their cash. Obama = uncertainty.

Trump is batschitt crazy, but at least the man actually accomplished something beyond "community organizer." I cant stand the guy and even I knew business was going to pop simply because he wasn't Obama (or Hillary).

Absolutely.  There was a bump in confidence immediately after the election.  See 5 year chart and longer charts, consumer and biz.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/consumer-confidence

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/consumer-confidence

Bit of dip happening now though, but still good numbers. 

Really odd though that media reaction after election would look completely different. 

Edited by keepthefaith

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

From a business standpoint? Absofreakinglutely!  You think business executives care because he calls people names and has typos in his tweets? They couldn't care less.

Trump does a lot of unconventional stuff, but in what world does anyone think the business world is afraid of him from a business standpoint? Precisely what numbers are you looking at to even sniff the idea that Obama = Trump on the economy? Give me numbers.

Obama was an economic embarrassment for this country. Not to mention he missed THE golden moment to be a leader in the black community. But what suffered most under his presidency? Black employment numbers.

Look. I get it. You hate Trump. But thinking Obama = Trump on the economy is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

This announcement is about other countries spending more on war.

It is not about the US not spending its own money. 

And if you think the US defense budget is about to shrink, bahaha!

First sentence: it is about other countries living up to their pledge to contribute to the NATO budget.  The NATO budget wasn’t increased by 100billion. You can mischaracterize if it makes you feel better, but I don’t remember NATO getting into a war since Clinton was President. 

Second sentence: it is absolutely about the US not having to spend its own money to make up for the other members’ failure to live up to their pledges.

Third sentence: maybe yes, maybe no, but at least the US can redirect money that they weren’t supposed to spend on NATO to other uses that are more suited to our own interests.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

This announcement is about other countries spending more on war.

It is not about the US not spending its own money. 

And if you think the US defense budget is about to shrink, bahaha!

Try again.

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

First sentence: it is about other countries living up to their pledge to contribute to the NATO budget.  The NATO budget wasn’t increased by 100billion.

Correct, but the US wasn't making up the shortfall. 

The US has increased psnding in Europe under Trump, even as other NATO countries have increased their spending since 2014.

Second sentence: it is absolutely about the US not having to spend its own money to make up for the other members’ failure to live up to their pledges.

No. See above. It's just about making more war machines. 

Third sentence: maybe yes, maybe no, but at least the US can redirect money that they weren’t supposed to spend on NATO to other uses that are more suited to our own interests.

See above again. See also, history. 

1 minute ago, KRC said:

Try again.

I don't need to. The US spending in Europe keeps increasing under Trump in spite of our NATO allies spending more since 2014.

No one is saving money.  

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Correct, but the US wasn't making up the shortfall. 

The US has increased psnding in Europe under Trump, even as other NATO countries have increased their spending since 2014.

See above again. See also, history. 

I don't need to. The US spending in Europe keeps increasing under Trump in spite of our NATO allies spending more since 2014.

No one is saving money.  

Well, that little guy you been seein' him most every day
He shouldn't be allowed to come and take my baby away
Baby why don't you wake up, all we gotta do is make up
Come on baby, don't break up with me
Well, I saw you walkin' with him just the other night
I almost flipped when I saw him squeeze you tight
Baby why don't you wake up, all we gotta do is make up
Come on baby, don't break up with me

12 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh Lord yeah

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight
They leave that all to the poor, yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'till their judgment day comes, yeah

Now in darkness world stops turning
As the war machine keeps burning?
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgment God is calling
On their knees, the war pigs crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing spreads his wings
Oh Lord yeah

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see Russia as any threat, despite the Dems and the MSM trying to make them seem that way.

Russia was a major threat from 1919 to just after 1989, and the Dems and MSM downplayed and mocked efforts to confront it.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I don't see Russia as any threat, despite the Dems and the MSM trying to make them seem that way.

Russia was a major threat from 1919 to just after 1989, and the Dems and MSM downplayed and mocked efforts to confront it.

Russia is an enemy of convenience. It's a holdover from the days some of us hid under desks to survive the incoming planes.  That's not to say there isn't danger associated with the Ruskies, but we see every few years the cycle of resetting relations with the Kremlin.  The intelligence community trots out a good "former Russian spy poisoned by Putin" the media runs with it, and so on. 

15 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Russia is an enemy of convenience. It's a holdover from the days some of us hid under desks to survive the incoming planes.  That's not to say there isn't danger associated with the Ruskies, but we see every few years the cycle of resetting relations with the Kremlin.  The intelligence community trots out a good "former Russian spy poisoned by Putin" the media runs with it, and so on. 

Russia was a terror to the world for that 70 or so years, I have many in my life who escaped it and have built a good life for themselves in Canada, for which they are eternally grateful.

Russia is North America's best ally against the most likely source of terrorism in the world currently.

• Like (+1) 3

Report: Trump can build wall without declaring emergency. 

“A new report by the CRS not only suggests that the president could obtain funding for his wall by declaring an emergency or by using other existing statutory authority, it provides a virtual road map.” The CRS, otherwise known as the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

And after all the scaremongering talk about an emergency, any other way he does it will look reasonable by comparison.

Related: Shock poll: Democratic swing districts back wall, Trump immigration offer.

Also: Poll: Trump voters will mutiny if the wall isn’t built, faces 43 percent drop in support.

Gee, I wonder what he will do?

Well, for those asking why President Trump didn't get wall funding while they had the House, this interview confirms what many suspected: Paul Ryan is an #######.  It also seems that with what happened to him from his "own side" the chance that he will trust Nancy and Chuckie is about zero (or below): 

<snip>

President Donald Trump says former House Speaker Paul Ryan promised to secure wall funding while Republicans controlled both Houses in exchange for the president’s signature on the 2018 omnibus spending bill.

But after the president signed the massive, $1.3 trillion spending package, Ryan reneged on his commitment.

“Well, I was going to veto the omnibus bill and Paul told me in the strongest of language, ‘Please don’t do that, we’ll get you the wall.’ And I said, ‘I hope you mean that, because I don’t like this bill,’” the president recounted in an exclusive Wednesday interview with The Daily Caller.

</snip>

Link to full article

• Like (+1) 2

Pelosi is a very worthy leader for her view, she wants to get things done, and a negotiation with Trump, another one who wants to get things done, is most welcome to solve things.

There is give and take and small battles and larger concerns.

I don't agree with practically any or her views but admire her ability to get things done, it's rare in this world

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, for those asking why President Trump didn't get wall funding while they had the House, this interview confirms what many suspected: Paul Ryan is an #######.  It also seems that with what happened to him from his "own side" the chance that he will trust Nancy and Chuckie is about zero (or below): 

<snip>

President Donald Trump says former House Speaker Paul Ryan promised to secure wall funding while Republicans controlled both Houses in exchange for the president’s signature on the 2018 omnibus spending bill.

But after the president signed the massive, $1.3 trillion spending package, Ryan reneged on his commitment.

“Well, I was going to veto the omnibus bill and Paul told me in the strongest of language, ‘Please don’t do that, we’ll get you the wall.’ And I said, ‘I hope you mean that, because I don’t like this bill,’” the president recounted in an exclusive Wednesday interview with The Daily Caller.

</snip>

Link to full article

of course, Trump is never at fault, never has a weakness, never ever never!!!!!!

Trump is very open about his strategies..never admit fault, never admit to anything, they hit, you hit back harder....yall all smart enough to know that. It works for him, The problem is when things like the above may be true, one cannot believe Trump,  it is his stated strategy to always blame someone else.

Now for this gem at the SOTU

Edited by plenzmd1

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's awesome.  Complaining simultaneously that Trump illegally hires and fires illegal aliens.

Think the funny thing obviously is that Trump says that illegal immigration is a national emergency, and yet none of his businesses employ E-Verify..and if you read the stories knowingly employed illegal immigrants. 

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If the lady is an undocumented immigrant, then she isnt a constituent no?

I thought the same thing LOL

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think the funny thing obviously is that Trump says that illegal immigration is a national emergency, and yet none of his businesses employ E-Verify..and if you read the stories knowingly employed illegal immigrants. 

Because E-Verify is still relatively new, is not mandated (Obama tried to get its use mandated, and failed), and several states absolutely forbid its use.  And it's notoriously unreliable, in no small part because it relies on an immigration system that's unreliable (I know one story where a naturalized citizen was denied work because after he received his Certificate of Naturalization from USCIS, the State Department failed to inform ICE that he was naturalized, so DHS denied the I-9.  How *****-up a bureaucracy is that, that the State Department has to notify DHS of what another DHS branch is doing?)

This story is not nearly as black-and-white as reports make it out to be.

• Like (+1) 1