The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They probably announce her death the day before.

I rather hope Trump says "No thanks, I'll do it from the Oval Office and send you an annual report."  I'd actually prefer it if Congress got a formal annual report instead of a speech...though I'm sure Trump's would be in crayon.

She would be happy not to have to sit there behind him while he tells lie after lie. 

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

It will work as a political maneuver to say he did everything he could to fulfill his promise.  

Maybe, maybe not. Probably be better for him if he created a different distraction. War? 

32 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Schumer said the shutdown cost $11 billion. That means he spent $11 billion to save $5.5 billion. That's Democrat economics for you.

No cost is too great when you're fighting to deny a racist, immoral wall to actual literal super-mecha Hitler!

Move to ban shutdowns is on! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/us/politics/government-shutdown-legislation.html

If they keep them, they should make sure no social security or military pensions get paid either. Let the cranky ones not get paid either. 

WASHINGTON — Was this the shutdown to end all shutdowns?

The answer could be yes. The toll exacted on government operations and federal employees by the record 35-day stalemate — not to mention the political costs to those in the White House and on Capitol Hill — was so punishing that it is giving momentum to a longstanding call to prohibit the government disruptions that have become a regular facet of Washington hardball.

“Shutting down the government should be as off limits in budget negotiations as chemical warfare is in real warfare,” Senator Lamar Alexander, Republican of Tennessee, said on Friday.

25 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

This should be good....how the hell is a wall racist? or immoral? 

How are immigrants causing a crime wave or are all rapists? 

There is your answer 

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

The only thing Trump needs to say at the STOU is that the country is far better off then it was 3 years ago, and that's not a lie

Sure it is...far worse off than 3 years ago..and that's not debatable...

Hows that for facts!!!!

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sure it is...far worse off than 3 years ago..and that's not debatable...

Hows that for facts!!!!

Best economy in years if not decades, rebuilding the military,  redoing horrible trade deals, securing the borders, conservative justices that will follow the constitution, how's that for facts?

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Move to ban shutdowns is on! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/us/politics/government-shutdown-legislation.html

If they keep them, they should make sure no social security or military pensions get paid either. Let the cranky ones not get paid either. 

How are immigrants causing a crime wave or are all rapists? 

There is your answer 

No one has said they are all rapists, but if you don't think rapists,  murderers, drug trafficking,  and other criminals are crossing the borders, you are dumber then I thought

3 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Best economy in years if not decades, rebuilding the military,  redoing horrible trade deals, securing the borders, conservative justices that will follow the constitution, how's that for facts?

No one has said they are all rapists, but if you don't think rapists,  murderers, drug trafficking,  and other criminals are crossing the borders, you are dumber then I thought

Trump smeared them all. He wants less immigration period. Why? For racist reasons. 

And the immigrant community actually has less crime than native born population 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

... Probably be better for him if he created a different distraction. War? 

except that, you know... he has ended our involvement in Syria and is going to end the Afghanistan war and .... oh yeah... he is making peace with NK. something no other President has been able to even come close to doing.

53 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump smeared them all. He wants less immigration period. Why? For racist reasons. 

And the immigrant community actually has less crime than native born population 

no, it is so that you Democrats don't have an unending base of illegal voters.

hows them apples?

:)

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Chicago and Philly are well acknowledged as the best at ringing up fake votes for the Dems.  It's admired by everyone, and fought hard when the GOP has a chance.

in 2016 Pennsylvania wouldn't report until well after midnight, when they couldn't rig it they had to admit it and it was all overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

Define best economy. Unemployment for unskilled workers lower? Yippee, sure that leads to long term success for both the individual and the country!!! Cause we all know you grow an economy for the long term by having less skilled people!Deficits growing under Trump? Yep, great for the economy I am sure!!! But damn those tax cuts have energized growth? No, sugar rush for a quarter, now at same lower growth than under Obama, but Obama did not need a massive corporate tax cut to fuel growth. And boy, the impact Trump has had on the stock market...such a smaller growth rate than under Obama..but boy he is he one smart cookie!!!!

And lets talk trade shall we? Give me some empirical evidence where Trump has made a difference in trade. Not talking points and platitudes, but real demonstrative evidence of  positive to the economy from Trumps trade deals..or lack thereof

And let's talk border security. Did we not just have a shutdown over this? If he was so great at securing our borders, why the issue? I thought people, drugs and sex traffickers were at epidemic levels...is that not the case? All taken care of under Trump? Good to know no need for the wall!!!

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Define best economy. Unemployment for unskilled workers lower? Yippee, sure that leads to long term success for both the individual and the country!!! Cause we all know you grow an economy for the long term by having less skilled people!Deficits growing under Trump? Yep, great for the economy I am sure!!! But damn those tax cuts have energized growth? No, sugar rush for a quarter, now at same lower growth than under Obama, but Obama did not need a massive corporate tax cut to fuel growth. And boy, the impact Trump has had on the stock market...such a smaller growth rate than under Obama..but boy he is he one smart cookie!!!!

And lets talk trade shall we? Give me some empirical evidence where Trump has made a difference in trade. Not talking points and platitudes, but real demonstrative evidence of  positive to the economy from Trumps trade deals..or lack thereof

And let's talk border security. Did we not just have a shutdown over this? If he was so great at securing our borders, why the issue? I thought people, drugs and sex traffickers were at epidemic levels...is that not the case? All taken care of under Trump? Good to know no need for the wall!!!

you are going to B word about this economy?

you must have anything better to do today...

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You're acting like the little boy in the grocery store having a fit and screaming because he can't have a candy bar.

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You're acting like the little boy in the grocery store having a fit and screaming because he can't have a candy bar.

when it's a little boy you can ignore it

he's probably big enough to have the goons take him  out back and teach him never to whine ever again

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

1) except that, you know... he has ended our involvement in Syria and is going to end the Afghanistan war and .... oh yeah... he is making peace with NK. something no other President has been able to even come close to doing.

2) no, it is so that you Democrats don't have an unending base of illegal voters.

hows them apples?

:)

1) Cutting and running out of the first two places, ok, sure. The "Peace" with NK is just some rocket man won't make more headlines with rockets. But if you think that will be the end of that I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, too. 

2) Is that what its all about? Swallow much propaganda? So you do agree Trump was lying about the crime wave and all, huh? 

Pass the apples 

4 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

The only thing Trump needs to say at the STOU is that the country is far better off then it was 3 years ago, and that's not a lie

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you are going to B word about this economy?

you must have anything better to do today...

51 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What I am saying is this economy is not any better, and i mean any better, than it was under Obama...and Obama era economy did not need to grow deficits and give corporations a huge sugar rush to get it accomplished. Yes, unemployment of unskilled "goods" workers has decreased.....and that has helped GDP how? 

Why don't yall do what you always accuse others of doing here..and provide facts of an economy that is better under Trump than under Obama...and not just toss names out there

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

What I am saying is this economy is not any better, and i mean any better, than it was under Obama...and Obama era economy did not need to grow deficits and give corporations a huge sugar rush to get it accomplished. Yes, unemployment of unskilled "goods" workers has decreased.....and that has helped GDP how? 

Why don't yall do what you always accuse others of doing here..and provide facts of an economy that is better under Trump than under Obama...and not just toss names out there

this is your little suckybaby temper tantrum to show how cool you think you are?

FAIL

FAIL

FAIL

a dog**** performance, you are much better than this....

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

...and Obama era economy did not need to grow deficits and give corporations a huge sugar rush to get it accomplished. ...

of course, you are right. Obama just had to print 830 billion out of thin air. cash for clunkers, bail outs, minimum wage hikes....

Obama tells us Trump has done nothing, then runs around taking credit for all the great things since 2016

on the playground this kind of wuss got the living ***** kicked out of him every single day, and it was so righteous

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

of course, you are right. Obama just had to print 830 billion out of thin air. cash for clunkers, bail outs, minimum wage hikes....

Thank you for Foxx for at least engaging in an adult conversation.

Agreed, Obama was handed an awful situation and turned the thing around. Trump was handed a very stable and growing economy, and has managed to have one-quarter of above-average growth fueled by huge tax cuts, has now settled back into pre-tax cut growth rates..and doubled the deficit...and doubled the deficit mind you without having to deal with the mess and bailouts that Obama was handed. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thank you for Foxx for at least engaging in an adult conversation.

Agreed, Obama was handed an awful situation and turned the thing around. Trump was handed a very stable and growing economy, and has managed to have one-quarter of above-average growth fueled by huge tax cuts, has not settled back into pre tax cut growth rates..and doubled the deficit...and doubled the deficit mind you without having to deal with the mess and bailouts that Obama was handed. 

well, to be fair, i was being somewhat sarcastic.

if we go by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee’s 2015 analysis of the last eight recessions, along with their aftermaths, “the Obama recovery was the weakest on record.” his annual GDP was 2.1% where by the end of his term(s) his expansion was just at 1.9%. hardly anything to crow about. not to mention, he singlehandedly destroyed healthcare (of course the whole thing stinks of an elite plan to foster single payer upon us).  

Trumps annual GDP to date of comfortably in the 3% range. the unemployment is at historical lows, essentially full employment across all demographic groups. that manufacturing Obama claimed would never come back and that Trump would need a magic wand to recover it, well, it is coming back. Trump's trade policies are beginning to take hold. His tariff wars are also beginning to bear fruit.

i am also of the opinion that Obama should not have printed that money, that is not how a free market economy works. unsurprising that it happened but still, it should not have been.

Edited by Foxx

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

well, to be fair, i was being somewhat sarcastic.

if we go by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee’s 2015 analysis of the last eight recessions, along with their aftermaths, “the Obama recovery was the weakest on record.” his annual GDP was 2.1% where by the end of his term(s) his expansion was just at 1.9%. hardly anything to crow about. not to mention, he singlehandedly destroyed healthcare (of course the whole thing stinks of an elite plan to foster single payer upon us).  

Trumps annual GDP to date of comfortably in the 3% range. the unemployment is at historical lows, essentially full employment across all demographic groups. that manufacturing Obama claimed would never come back and that Trump would need a magic wand to recover it, well, it is coming back. Trump's trade policies are beginning to take hold. His tariff wars are also beginning to bear fruit.

i am also of the opinion that Obama should not have printed that money, that is not how a free market economy works. unsurprising that it happened but still, it should not have been.

Sarcastic is expected and fun..name calling and the such is just silly!

I am no fan of Obama, but he was saddled with the Great Recession when he assumed office, and overall growth of GDP I would argue needs to looked at with that imindnd.

I also believe the 3% GDP growth rate will prove not to sustainable. as I believe one needs to take out the spike of 1 quarter growth due to tax cutback s.Outside of that one 4.2% Qtr, Trump growth is at 2.2%... let's see where Q4 comes in. If it was to be sustained, I would not have that objection. Too early to tell, but the markets sure give us an indication that robust growth is not expected over the next 18-24mths.

Anyway, this probably needs to be in the economy thread but was playing devils advocate when someone said indistbutable facts country is better off under Trump. I innd it highly disputable!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

What I am saying is this economy is not any better, and i mean any better, than it was under Obama.

You must be living in some crappy place because I'm eyeballs deep in one of the biggest business waves I've seen in many, many years in the communications and technology world. 

The people who hire my company are grinning from ear to ear because what for years under Obama was a timid approach to expanding has gone nuts, especially in the past year. Our industry can't find enough labor. The problem is they need cable-pullers and network savvy installers and what they HAVE are countless people with what is sarcastically, but somewhat accurately described as millennials with useless degrees who are too far in debt to take a labor job where they have to work for a living.

What used to be an RFP for a few rooms is now a full-on spec for completely new tech centers with anywhere from 30-80 rooms; huddle spaces, conference rooms, multipurpose rooms, all hands spaces. And it's from one end of the country to the other.

Not only is it crazy, but the best in the business are getting top dollar for their services. Q2 is literally starting to fill up with backlogs, which is unlike anything we've seen in countless years.

And the one thing you saw ALL THE TIME during Obama's presidency -- companies putting projects on hold for countless months until they could "find the money" -- is a distant memory. When the job is awarded, the work orders are issued immediately.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

You must be living in some crappy place because I'm eyeballs deep in one of the biggest business waves I've seen in many, many years in the communications and technology world. 

The people who hire my company are grinning from ear to ear because what for years under Obama was a timid approach to expanding has gone nuts, especially in the past year. Our industry can't find enough labor. The problem is they need cable-pullers and network savvy installers and what they HAVE are countless people with what is sarcastically, but somewhat accurately described as millennials with useless degrees who are too far in debt to take a labor job where they have to work for a living.

What used to be an RFP for a few rooms is now a full-on spec for completely new tech centers with anywhere from 30-80 rooms; huddle spaces, conference rooms, multipurpose rooms, all hands spaces. And it's from one end of the country to the other.

Not only is it crazy, but the best in the business are getting top dollar for their services. Q2 is literally starting to fill up with backlogs, which is unlike anything we've seen in countless years.

And the one thing you saw ALL THE TIME during Obama's presidency -- companies putting projects on hold for countless months until they could "find the money" -- is a distant memory. When the job is awarded, the work orders are issued immediately.

I have been in the HR Tech space for 20 years..a big part of that focused on talent acquisition and , for a lack of a better term, employee engagement in order to execute an enterprise strategy better.

Skilled talent has been a scarce quantity since at least  2010. The war for talent has been preached since at least 2010..and it was/ and still is,  very freaking real. Look at the sheer amount of new tech and new VC money devoted to talent acquisition/HCM tech in the last 8 years...the war for talent is hardly new. 

And my market has always been large enterprises..can't tell you last time I heard " economy is in the pooper, we are looking for money to do this"  or "business is bad and outlook is not positive, our earnings are suffering..we are belt-tightening"(out side of poopy companies)...maybe 2008?  Now, if you could not provide a solid business case and ROI that was the crap you would hear as objections, 

If businesses were not expanding pre-Trump, it was because they were not smart companies, not due to economic conditions..but Trump has given a handout to companies to help those guys who were not thriving and hiring...and the right is eating it alive. Corporate handouts good!

The economy not doing well?

Look at the furniture capitol of the world, look at what's rural NC right now. Temp agencies can't keep enough temps to fill jobs paying $13+ for unskilled/unexperienced labor.  My company has waited months just to bring in 3 or 4 people. This is in an Economically downtrodden area where a majority of poeple just 20 years ago built wood furniture the old fashioned way.

Anyone saying the economy is not better than. Just 2015 when I began the position I'm in is a full lapse. We were paying minimum wage then. We can't now.

Edited by Boyst62
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

And my market has always been large enterprises..can't tell you last time I heard " economy is in the pooper, we are looking for money to do this"  or "business is bad and outlook is not positive, our earnings are suffering..we are belt-tightening"(out side of poopy companies)...maybe 2008?  Now, if you could not provide a solid business case and ROI that was the crap you would hear as objections, 

People didn't sit on money because the "economy is in the pooper." People sat on money because of the unpredictability of an Obama presidency, which made SMART companies spend cautiously because they NEVER knew when Obama was going to do something stupid again, like Obamacare, or the Recovery Act, or Cash for Clunkers, or just randomly throw out an EO to take their money to "make things more fair." He preached how those big companies "didn't build that" and "rich people  need to pay their fair share."

From a business standpoint, Obama was, far and away, the dumbest effer to be in the WH in years, and corporate America knew it, which is why they sat on their cash. Obama = uncertainty.

Trump is batschitt crazy, but at least the man actually accomplished something beyond "community organizer." I cant stand the guy and even I knew business was going to pop simply because he wasn't Obama (or Hillary).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

People didn't sit on money because the "economy is in the pooper." People sat on money because of the unpredictability of an Obama presidency, which made SMART companies spend cautiously because they NEVER knew when Obama was going to do something stupid again, like Obamacare, or the Recovery Act, or Cash for Clunkers, or just randomly throw out an EO to take their money to "make things more fair." He preached how those big companies "didn't build that" and "rich people  need to pay their fair share."

From a business standpoint, Obama was, far and away, the dumbest effer to be in the WH in years, and corporate America knew it, which is why they sat on their cash. Obama = uncertainty.

Trump is batschitt crazy, but at least the man actually accomplished something beyond "community organizer." I cant stand the guy and even I knew business was going to pop simply because he wasn't Obama (or Hillary).

Wait, are you really saying you think executives thought Obama was more of a wild card than Trump?