The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

That was at a time when the Dem position was against illegal immigration because it hurt many union workers and depressed wages for many traditional Dem voters.  The big prize for Dems now comes in the form of millions of Dem voters who are the offspring of illegal immigrants or illegal immigrants themselves who Dems feel will be given citizenship at some point.  Dems have come too far on this to turn back now.  The dreams of turning states like Texas and Arizona blue and obtaining a near electoral lock are getting closer to coming true.   Now that Trump won, few Dems are going to support border security and any legislation that restricts immigration.  It's a power play pure and simple and these are sick individuals in Washington pulling these strings.   

What's really the motivating factor although your right wing conspiracy was interesting to read.

15 hours ago, Figster said:

I really like the Panama-style canal idea, ambitious as it may be, you can do allot of things with water. Land owners might be more attracted to the idea vs a steel wall. 

and its something Mexico might actually help fund IMO.

The border will eventually be gone period. It's the course of history

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I especially like the part when he called both Pelosi and Schumer disingenuous attentionwhores out for partisan political advantage. He nailed it.

You mean the winners? 

15 hours ago, Figster said:

I really like the Panama-style canal idea, ambitious as it may be, you can do allot of things with water. Land owners might be more attracted to the idea vs a steel wall. 

and its something Mexico might actually help fund IMO.

Just think, we might be able charge for amusement park rides down the mountains. Maybe even make a little money by taking their pictures as they splash down.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Whatever polling perch Nancy stood upon before the shutdown was artificially tall.  Her comments during the shutdown were simply a reminder of what a witch she is.  Her hiatus from the speakership was an insulator.  She's not done dropping yet, for every time she speaks she'll further erode the weak public support she has.  She's just bad for the country. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Just think, we might be able charge for amusement park rides down the mountains. Maybe even make a little money by taking their pictures as they splash down.

Canal idea is contingent to where it would be applicable. Without surveying the border and providing the left with a sound plan of action the idea of a wall or anything else shouldn't fly with anyone IMO.

Edited by Figster

25 minutes ago, Figster said:

Canal idea is contingent to where it would be applicable. Without surveying the border and providing the left with a sound plan of action the idea of a wall or anything else shouldn't fly with anyone IMO.

There are plans already available to the lawmakers.

52 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

There are plans already available to the lawmakers.

How about plans available to the general public that show where the walls will be built, or why they will work and for how long.

Saying plans are available to the lawmakers means nothing to me.

Myself personally, Trump needs to change his tactics and hit the left where it will really hurt.  Are any of us really that upset about people just like you or I trying to find a better way of life. I don't think so. Helping people is what we do, its what our great nation has always done. We have enough land and the natural resources to grow IMO. A settlement for immigrants to go somewhere in the US perhaps thats close to the border.

reverse psychology...

Trump could hit a home run with the right move...

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The border will eventually be gone period. It's the course of history

You mean the winners? 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Borders are an economic drag. Bottle necks to progress 

Wait, are you quoting Stalin, or Hitler?

59 minutes ago, Figster said:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=border+wall+plans+as+of+2018&form=PRHPR1&pc=HRTE&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=04d7c5369faa42ab86de35a95560d9ca&sp=2&qs=AS&pq=border+wall+plans&sk=AS1&sc=8-17&cvid=04d7c5369faa42ab86de35a95560d9ca

There are plans in different areas available at the link above. If you want actual construction plans you'll have to pay for them.

14 minutes ago, snafu said:

Wait, are you quoting Stalin, or Hitler?

Tibs wants no border to the US. Who could be surprised by that kind of mindless stupidity?

It's like he's looking at Canada and thinking "You guys may believe you corner the market on mindless stupidity, but hold my beer..."

18 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Tibs wants no border to the US. Who could be surprised by that kind of mindless stupidity?

It's like he's looking at Canada and thinking "You guys may believe you corner the market on mindless stupidity, but hold my beer..."

Even better: Tibs wants what Adam Smith wants, which is no borders.  Which Adam Smith didn't want.  

Tibs is the ultimate expression of bumper sticker progressivism: empty sloganeering by appeals to misunderstood authority.

Just now, Hedge said:

Is the RBG clone is nearing a state of operation? Or did someone actually responded to the Craigslist ad?

They probably announce her death the day before.

I rather hope Trump says "No thanks, I'll do it from the Oval Office and send you an annual report."  I'd actually prefer it if Congress got a formal annual report instead of a speech...though I'm sure Trump's would be in crayon.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I have to hand it to Nancy on this one.  Tuesday after the Super Bowl people are waking up from their hangovers and most of America will be looking for someone to vent there anger towards about the Patriots* winning another Super Bowl.  The only Americans that won't already be pissed off when the SOTU starts are Patriots* fans, but most of New England already hate Trump anyway

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

I have to hand it to Nancy on this one.  Tuesday after the Super Bowl people are waking up from their hangovers and most of America will be looking for someone to vent there anger towards about the Patriots* winning another Super Bowl.  The only Americans that won't already be pissed off when the SOTU starts are Patriots* fans, but most of New England already hate Trump anyway

Actually, in that light, it's odd that the invite wasn't scheduled for a time during the Super Bowl.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:42 PM, 3rdnlng said:

The environmental activists would shout down the windmills because they might either kill or change the migration habits of the Central Americans. Seriously though no one is going to build solar or wind farms unless they are at the optimal locations for them.

Piranha.

Really?  How do you explain a large solar farm just outside Batavia, NY?.

33 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Government subsidies without a doubt.

Absolutely.  But not even remotely an optimal area for them.  Almost as stupid as the Germans trying to use solar as a major component of their entire power generation.