The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Think the funny thing obviously is that Trump says that illegal immigration is a national emergency, and yet none of his businesses employ E-Verify..and if you read the stories knowingly employed illegal immigrants.

What's funny is how you are implying that the national emergency Trump is referring to has anything to do with the hiring of illegal aliens.

That's dishonest at best, and I think you know that. It's about drugs and sex trafficking.

Leave the low-hanging fruit to Tibs.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Because E-Verify is still relatively new, is not mandated (Obama tried to get its use mandated, and failed), and several states absolutely forbid its use.  And it's notoriously unreliable, in no small part because it relies on an immigration system that's unreliable (I know one story where a naturalized citizen was denied work because after he received his Certificate of Naturalization from USCIS, the State Department failed to inform ICE that he was naturalized, so DHS denied the I-9.  How *****-up a bureaucracy is that, that the State Department has to notify DHS of what another DHS branch is doing?)

This story is not nearly as black-and-white as reports make it out to be.

well, I would not call it new, been around for 20yrs, pretty mainstream for 9.....and while we can agree that E-Verify is not perfect, it is funny that Donny Jr has now said Trump properties will start using it...hmm. So illegal immigration is a national emergency, unless we need cheap labor at Trump properties than it is all good!

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, I would not call it new, been around for 20yrs, pretty mainstream for 9.....and while we can agree that E-Verify is not perfect, it is funny that Donny Jr has now said Trump properties will start using it...hmm. So illegal immigration is a national emergency, unless we need cheap labor at Trump properties than it is all good!

I'm certain POTUS was present during her hiring interviews, and personally recommended hiring her.  :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What's funny is how you are implying that the national emergency Trump is referring to has anything to do with the hiring of illegal aliens.

That's dishonest at best, and I think you know that. It's about drugs and sex trafficking.

Leave the low-hanging fruit to Tibs.

thought it was about crime and gangs,  and rapists, and terrorists coming across our southern border.,and those people coming here and breeding..and oh yeah, drugs and trafficking sound good now too.?

I just having fun at Trump expense, he is the one that said all those things...

Said this way back when at the start of this thread..I don't think the Dems care if a wall is built, same don't dont think Trump cares if a wall is built..they care how their bases percieve them based if money is/is not appropriated for a wall. 

I know I don't care either way

6 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I thought it was about murderers, rapists, and terrorists. 

The drugs are going to get through. Have no fear on that front.  

What it's not about is the hiring of illegal aliens.

Try to keep up, or at least let the adults continue to discuss things, mmmmmkay?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is a false equivalency.

Why hasn't anyone asked Pelosi this:

Speaker Pelosi, do you and your party support the elimination of people entering, living and working in this country who arrived outside of our legal immigration system?  If so, will you and your party support the necessary changes to asylum laws and also the border security measures necessary to achieve this on a long term basis? 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

What it's not about is the hiring of illegal aliens.

Try to keep up, or at least let the adults continue to discuss things, mmmmmkay?

Be  great if there was an adult as POTUS..just using his words over the last two years as justification for building a wall..is it wrong to use his words?

41 minutes ago, Foxx said:

go on...

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Be  great if there was an adult as POTUS..just using his words over the last two years as justification for building a wall..is it wrong to use his words?

go on...

50 minutes ago, Foxx said:

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

because he hired an illegal, it doesn't equate to a national emergency? for one the illegal probably lied to get hired, whether Trump Inc. knew that she was lying is immaterial here and not something you can conclusively prove, one way or the other. secondly, your statement about it being a national emergency unless Trump needs cheap labor is just dumb (i'm sorry but it just is) on the surface. are you insinuating that he no longer needs cheap labor?

Edited by Foxx

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

because he hired an illegal, it doesn't equate to a national emergency? for one the illegal probably lied to get hired, whether Trump Inc. knew that she was lying is immaterial here and not something you can conclusively prove, one way or the other. secondly, your statement about it being a national emergency unless Trump needs cheap labor is just dumb (i'm sorry but it just is) on the surface. are you insinuating that he no longer needs cheap labor?

Well, not after Trump literally killed all women and enslaved all minorities through his evil policies and Nazi Supreme Court picks. That's not even including all the POWs we captured/enslaved during the nuclear wars he started.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

1) The illegal (according to her and other illegals employed by Trump) would deliver documents to Trump Properties..if said fakes did not look passable, they were told to go find better documents that could pass.Again, that is from their side, the properties have yet to respond.

2) I was trying to be sarcastic in that my position is that Trump does not find it a national emergency, hs business practices confirm that. What he does find a national emergency is the support of his base if he does not get funding for a wall.

3) I don't think the Dems think a wall is immoral either, I think they saw an opening where Trump is vulnerable..and using for political purposes as well.

4) this gets solved with a declaration of national emergency, each side claims a win and both bases are happy.

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) The illegal (according to her and other illegals employed by Trump) would deliver documents to Trump Properties..if said fakes did not look passable, they were told to go find better documents that could pass.Again, that is from their side, the properties have yet to respond.

2) I was trying to be sarcastic in that my position is that Trump does not find it a national emergency, hs business practices confirm that. What he does find a national emergency is the support of his base if he does not get funding for a wall.

3) I don't think the Dems think a wall is immoral either, I think they saw an opening where Trump is vulnerable..and using for political purposes as well.

4) this gets solved with a declaration of national emergency, each side claims a win and both bases are happy.

the business hiring and firing procedures are probably not something Trump concerns himself with at this stage or at any stage in recent years. i am guessing, though i could be wrong here, but that the only thing he looks at as far as that goes is what the bottom line is.

i sensed your sarcasm, i only drew attention to it. to say he does not find it a national emergency is not being very genuine. he campaigned upon it, two years ago and was told he was going to get funding for it from Ryan. that he was lied to has kind of made it the emergency that it has evolved to. he is attempting to keep his campaign promises which is quite something in this day and age. when is the last time a politician kept as many campaign promises as Trump has seemed to? i can tell you it is not many, most tell their electorate what they want to hear and then when they get in orifice, they do what they want or are told to do.

the Dems only think the wall is immoral because it is Trumps . they have all voted for a wall previously. they are just being hypocritical to yank any momentum they can from him because they know he is going to be tough to beat in '20.   

if he declares a national emergency, it gets dragged through the courts and it could be years before a final say is rendered. Trump knows this and it is why he is trying to do everything he can to not have to take that route. it has been reported the last few days by a governmental office that he doesn't even have to declare a national emergency to build it, he can just go ahead and do it by diverting appropriations already designated elsewhere.

Edited by Foxx

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the business hiring and firing procedures are probably not something Trump concerns himself with at this stage or at any stage in recent years. i am guessing, though i could be wrong here, but that the only thing he looks at as far as that goes is what the bottom line is.

i sensed your sarcasm, i only drew attention to it. to say he does not find it a national emergency is not being very genuine. he campaigned upon it, two years ago and was told he was going to get funding for it from Ryan. that he was lied to has kind of made it the emergency that it has evolved to. he is attempting to keep his campaign promises which is quite something in this day and age. when is the last time a politician kept as many campaign promises as Trump has seemed to? i can tell you it is not many, most tell their electorate what they want to hear and then when they get in orifice, they do what they want or are told to do.

the Dems only think the wall is immoral because it is Trumps . they have all voted for a wall previously. they are just being hypocritical to yank any momentum they can from him because they know he is going to be tough to beat in '20.   

if he declares a national emergency, it gets dragged through the courts and it could be years before a final say is rendered. Trump knows this and it is why he is trying to do everything he can to not have to take that route. it has been reported the last few days by a governmental office that he doesn't even have to declare a national emergency to build it, he can just go ahead and do it by diverting appropriations already designated elsewhere.

1) If he truly viewed it as a national emergency, he would have got something done when the GOP controlled all 3 legislative branches of the government. So now we are blaming Paul Ryan??? Really??? This was Paul Ryans fault? A specious argument at best. 

2) And yes it was a campaign promise..one, that I am told consistently on here , should have only believed half of the promise, but not the other half.

Again, I am consistently told his words do not matter...but I should believe   the interview in the Daily Caller( hmm, who funds that rag?) .

3) On the bolded we agree 100%

4) I think he goes national emergency route as he does not really care if the wall gets built.. not saying he does not believe in it, but he is not dying on that hill! National emergency gets what is really important to him, I win with his base.

5 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Not at all. I'm glad to see the left finally doing that since they had zero interest in "using his words" for the last president.

But hey...if you like to your doctor, am I right? :lol:

???

BTW, you should know by now i am not "left"

Edited by plenzmd1

The dem's duplicity is astounding. If the POTUS was a dem they would be all in favor of whatever amount of money POTUS wanted for a wall. I'm old enough to remember when Club Guatanamo Bay was a gigantic stain on our country. That's when Bush43 was president. When Obama took over that stain went away.  The dems are the most disingenuous political partisans imaginable.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

#TermLimits

Sen. Scott from here in Florida is proposing term limits but that has a snowball's chance in hell of ever passing. Unless voted out no way would any of them give up the gravy train.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

You are wrong

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dem's duplicity is astounding. If the POTUS was a dem they would be all in favor of whatever amount of money POTUS wanted for a wall. I'm old enough to remember when Club Guatanamo Bay was a gigantic stain on our country. That's when Bush43 was president. When Obama took over that stain went away.  The dems are the most disingenuous political partisans imaginable.

I was waiting for Pelosi to say her goal is to make Trump a one term president.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) If he truly viewed it as a national emergency, he would have got something done when the GOP controlled all 3 legislative branches of the government. So now we are blaming Paul Ryan??? Really??? This was Paul Ryans fault? A specious argument at best. 

2) And yes it was a campaign promise..one, that I am told consistently on here , should have only believed half of the promise, but not the other half.

Again, I am consistently told his words do not matter...but I should believe   the interview in the Daily Caller( hmm, who funds that rag?) .

3) On the bolded we agree 100%

4) I think he goes national emergency route as he does not really care if the wall gets built.. not saying he does not believe in it, but he is not dying on that hill! National emergency gets what is really important to him, I win with his base.

1.)  Agreed.  Blaming Ryan is weak as Trump failed to use the bully pulpit that past presidents have been successful in doing in getting what they want (especially with two years of a GOP controlled House and 52 Republicans in the Senate).  

2.)  Repealing and replacing the ACA and Build the Wall were pry his two biggest promises and he failed at both thus far.  Although he's done some things to chop away at the ACA.  He's come through on a lot of other one's though that were a lot easier because he didn't have to go through Congress (withdrawing from Paris Accords and the Iran deal, trying to renegotiate trade deals through implementing tariffs, moving embassy to Jerusalem).  Not any GOP president would have the guts to do that.  Cutting taxes across the board and slashing regulations is typical Republican practice.

4.)  He has a lot of pressure to build the wall so he pry will.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I was waiting for Pelosi to say her goal is to make Trump a one term president.

1.)  Agreed.  Blaming Ryan is weak as Trump failed to use the bully pulpit that past presidents have been successful in doing in getting what they want (especially with two years of a GOP controlled House and 52 Republicans in the Senate).  

2.)  Repealing and replacing the ACA and Build the Wall were pry his two biggest promises and he failed at both thus far.  Although he's done some things to chop away at the ACA.  He's come through on a lot of other one's though that were a lot easier because he didn't have to go through Congress (withdrawing from Paris Accords and the Iran deal, trying to renegotiate trade deals through implementing tariffs, moving embassy to Jerusalem).  Not any GOP president would have the guts to do that.  Cutting taxes across the board and slashing regulations is typical Republican practice.

4.)  He has a lot of pressure to build the wall so he pry will.

That was stated about Obama because of how he wanted to "fundamentally change America".  We Conservatives and Libertarians did not want to allow him to take the country in the direction he wanted to take it.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

That was stated about Obama because of how he wanted to "fundamentally change America".  We Conservatives and Libertarians did not want to allow him to take the country in the direction he wanted to take it.

Not even half the country wants a wall Trump’s proposing so the comparison is apt.

4 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Not even half the country wants to go to the dentist every 6 months. 

Careful.  Don't give Bernie ideas.  Dental care is a right.  Not a privilege.  

Edited by Doc Brown

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not even half the country wants a wall Trump’s proposing so the comparison is apt.

Do you actually believe that? I'd like to see the polling question that ilicited that response. There's a difference between a 2000 mile 30' high concrete wall and 250 miles of strategically placed fencing to funnel border jumpers into better controlled areas.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Careful.  Don't give Bernie ideas.  Dental care is a right.  Not a privilege.  

1st step: compulsory voting.

2nd step: compulsory dental care.

3rd step: totalitarian regime run by @teef

• Haha (+1) 2

Nice! https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-send-messages-on-immigration-jobs-and-shutdown-with-state-of-the-union-guests/2019/01/31/4e2c9dd4-257b-11e9-90cd-dedb0c92dc17_story.html?utm_term=.de150271c6fe

Democrats are sending a political message with their guests for President Trump’s State of the Union address, inviting a government worker who was affected by the shutdown, immigrants who worked for Trump properties while undocumented and a union official who represents employees at an auto plant that is scheduled to be closed this year.

Sandra Diaz, a native of Costa Rica who worked at Trump’s Bedminster, N.J., golf club from 2010 to 2013, will attend the speech as a guest of Rep. Jimmy Gomez (D-Calif.), his office confirmed Thursday. Diaz is a legal permanent resident of the United States but was undocumented at the time of her employment by the Trump Organization, her lawyer said.

Diaz will join Victorina Morales, a Guatemalan who also worked at Trump’s Bedminster property and is attending the speech as a guest of Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-N.J.). The two women met with lawmakers this week as part of a group of immigrants who worked for Trump National Golf Club Bedminster and Trump National Golf Club Westchester, in Westchester County, N.Y., while not legally authorized to do so.