Josh Allen had highest air yards per attempt in NFL since 2016

YoloinOhio

Not sure how meaningful this is in the end, but I still like it. It makes me think of what Allen could be with better protection and some better WRs. Preferably more that have speed. The quick strike ability is exciting, and this type of number makes one optimistic for what an Allen -led offense could eventually be. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not sure how meaningful this is in the end, but I still like it. It makes me think of what Allen could be with better protection and some better WRs. Preferably more that have speed. The quick strike ability is exciting, and this type of number makes one optimistic for what an Allen -led offense could eventually be. 

Peak-Flacco with a run threat.

38 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Let's find our Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt in the next draft and some good OL.

McCoy is easily a Kareen Hunt.   Yeah we have no Tyreek Hill, but we also cant assume you just go get one in the draft, he is a special athlete.   They need some talent at WR no matter what.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

We also need a Kelce.

And finally a Watkins

• Like (+1) 1

That's great and all but I liked his shorter game today. He also hit a bit of a cold spot somewhere in the 3rd where he was off target on a couple. If it wasn't for incessant penalties today Allen had about 250 yards passing, a 100 yard rushing game and a couple touchdowns. He really could be special. He definitely looked like he's been benefiting from a couple of real QBs in the room the past few weeks.

There were a few drops, some really bad, and the penalties of course that kept him from having a better game than he did statistically. Allen was good today. Gotta love the energy he brings to this team as well. It's like night and day. 

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Josh Allen also currently has the longest completed pass in the air this year at 63.9 yards.  He is third in yards after the sticks.

Why wouldn't they?  Its still just a pass that travels in the air.

Im just saying it’s not something that’s part of a game plan or the normal course of a game. 

Without that pass, it’s about a 16.5/pass average. 

Just pointing it out. 

Edited by dubs

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

There were a few drops, some really bad, and the penalties of course that kept him from having a better game than he did statistically. Allen was good today. Gotta love the energy he brings to this team as well. It's like night and day. 

Yep... against (what was supposed to be) a ferocious pass defense, too

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

Im just saying it’s not something that’s part of a game plan or the normal course of a game. 

Just pointing it out. 

I guess, but these type of stats don't usually get ripped apart.  I mean, you would have to go through every game and see if another QB threw a hail mary.  Really a hail mary is just a word for a long pass that was coined long ago for toss it and pray.  Rodgers has won quite a few games from them.

52 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I guess, but these type of stats don't usually get ripped apart.  I mean, you would have to go through every game and see if another QB threw a hail mary.  Really a hail mary is just a word for a long pass that was coined long ago for toss it and pray.  Rodgers has won quite a few games from them.

Yeah, I agree. I’m not saying Allen sucked or anything. I think he’s doing well, all things considered. Just saying that it’s somewhat misleading given the low number of attempts and the amount of air yards on a prayer at the end of a half. But it’s still pretty awesome, regardless of its its 18+ or ~16. 

35 minutes ago, dubs said:

Yeah, I agree. I’m not saying Allen sucked or anything. I think he’s doing well, all things considered. Just saying that it’s somewhat misleading given the low number of attempts and the amount of air yards on a prayer at the end of a half. But it’s still pretty awesome, regardless of its its 18+ or ~16. 

True enough and if you look at the passing chart, he only threw two or three passes beyond 20 yards despite some people saying he only throws downfield.

2 hours ago, dubs said:

Just pointing it out. 

An incomplete Hail Mary also counts against the QB's stats, just like a spike and a throw-away. You win some, you lose some.  

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

McCoy is easily a Kareen Hunt.   Yeah we have no Tyreek Hill, but we also cant assume you just go get one in the draft, he is a special athlete.   They need some talent at WR no matter what.

And finally a Watkins

I wish McCoy was a Hunt. He's lost a step and dances way too. much.  I'm not sure Shady gets better next year. It's time to find a featured back that can run and catch.

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This is play calling as well. For whatever reason, we do not run short routes. I don't mind it in games where it works, but that has really hurt us when the line has failed to hold up. 

I seem to remember an awful lot of short routes with Mr. Peterman....

... seriously though:

1. We have WRs out there who haven't played a whole lot, or a whole lot with each other:  Foster, McKenzie, Deonte Thompson  - all new to the Bills or to the active roster. Tough to run the complex crossing routes/picks, etc., but nobody needs to "learn" a fly route

2. Clay wasn't out there, and he ran a lot of those short routes. 

I would expect things to settle in in the normal NFL QB range once McD settles on his WR/TE rotation.

I'm sure the NFL loves this. Allen is a modern NFL man. I'm sure they want as many down the field passes as possible, because they are exciting.

If it were me I'd have Josh Allen work exclusively on screen and check down passes in the off season. If he gets those down he'll be 10 times more effective.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, BillsRdue said:

Let's find our Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt in the next draft and some good OL.

This is my hope also. I think Jones and Foster can be effective underneath/slot midlevel guys (provided they get stronger physically in terms of separation after contact & holding off DB with body positioning for catch) combined w/ a Hill or Cooks type burner...would be a great combo for a guy like Allen. 

Ideally we find a Kittle in the mid rounds of the draft. Thinking a guy like Caleb Wilson from UCLA if he declares.