Why do we never throw the ball down the field?

We are punting almost every 4 plays anyway. Regardless of how bad the QB play is, why not take some shots? Yesterday of all days was a complete joke. What did we have to lose? Who needs to see 30 completions of 1 yd? All we do is punt and throw picks anyway. Give the fans some excitement. Who knows, maybe we would actually hit on one or two, or get a PI call? What we are doing isn’t working. We can’t run because the defense are just squatting on every snap. We can’t go the length of the field with multiple first downs because we suck. Wether it’s Anderson, Allen or Peterman....can we just let a few rip? What is the point of what we are doing? Even when Allen was playing with the “big arm” we still weren’t throwing it down the field. The WRs aren’t good, I realize that but you still have to take chances. 

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We are punting almost every 4 plays anyway. Regardless of how bad the QB play is, why not take some shots? Yesterday of all days was a complete joke. What did we have to lose? Who needs to see 30 completions of 1 yd? All we do is punt and throw picks anyway. Give the fans some excitement. Who knows, maybe we would actually hit on one or two, or get a PI call? What we are doing isn’t working. We can’t run because the defense are just squatting on every snap. We can’t go the length of the field with multiple first downs because we suck. Wether it’s Anderson, Allen or Peterman....can we just let a few rip? What is the point of what we are doing? Even when Allen was playing with the “big arm” we still weren’t throwing it down the field. The WRs aren’t good, I realize that but you still have to take chances. 

I agree.  I am not sure Peterman is capable of throwing the ball down field though. Also, yesterday you want to run all day and have Peterman throw <10 short safe passes.  I told you that wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree.  I am not sure Peterman is capable of throwing the ball down field though. Also, yesterday you want to run all day and have Peterman throw <10 short safe passes.  I told you that wouldn't work.

Well we threw 50 passes and lost by almost 40 at home so I’m not sure how that disproved my plan

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I said if we throw less then 10 passes with Nate we might have a shot and we go out and throw it 50 times for less then 200 yds and the bears defense beat us by themselves 

McDermott coaches a very cautious, conservative brand of football.

His ideal game has us winning 13-10 and controlling the clock.

On top of that, we have no WR talent and less QB talent.

So there's that too.

But these guys could take a shot downfield now and again, certainly.  

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

when they do the wrs dont make the play  Seriously has a Bills wr made a contested catch this year?  Benjamin had chances again to make a big play and didnt  These wrs are arena league quality 

They aren’t making plays on short passes so may as well chuck it down field at some point

This has been driving me crazy since Allen went down. Throw it deep every freaking play. 1 of 3 things will happen. 1. INT, when you are as bad as our offense it's basically a punt. 2. Catch. 3. DPI.

The 3 yard passes are killing the run game. It's not a coincidence that the run game has suffered since Allen went down.

I think Anderson has made a lot of very nice on time throws, especially on intermediate routes. I think there have been lots times where we could afford to take a shot with him and figure he will actually give the WR a chance. Allen took some shots but despite the canon never hits on them. An actual canon would prob get a ball closer to the guys hands. Peterman we don’t even try. If we are going to suck and punt constantly anyway,  I would at least take a bunch of shots downfield and let the defense know we aren’t afraid to try. Maybe the run game and  some crossing routes underneath would open up if the defense respected the whole field.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Without a run game...good luck.

Again, without a run game are short passes doing any good? At least a pick 50 yards downfield is a punt, and a pass interference (or catch!) turns into points at that point. 

We surely aren’t stringing together 12 play drives, so what’s the harm in taking some shots?

• Like (+1) 2

Peterman said last week that he had learned.

What he had apparently learned was to not throw the ball outside of his very limited range.

Again...I haven't watched the broadcast version but the defense had 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS all night..........and there was a definite feel from my vantage point at midfield that the WR splits were much tighter than normal on designed passing plays and that they tried to keep the action in between the numbers.

And he still sucked.

Because when you make the field 10 yards narrower when the D is already squatting on your throws........things get congested.

• Like (+1) 2

Bad WR's and a bad oline.

Next question.

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Again, without a run game are short passes doing any good? At least a pick 50 yards downfield is a punt, and a pass interference (or catch!) turns into points at that point. 

We surely aren’t stringing together 12 play drives, so what’s the harm in taking some shots?

The oline can't block long enough for guys to get down field.

Rod Streater was probably better then the trash we kept and he is terrible. There have been guys available for trade and free agents that we act to good for. This offense is above no player. 23% of Dez Bryant is better then the guys we start. Zay Jones almost looks like a professional player and he is a 4th WR on a good offense. This team should be working out every WR that can even play in the nfl. Any wr that has had recent success in the league goes without saying.

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Rod Streater was probably better then the trash we kept and he is terrible. There have been guys available for trade and free agents that we act to good for. This offense is above no player. 23% of Dez Bryant is better then the guys we start. Zay Jones almost looks like a professional player and he is a 4th WR on a good offense. This team should be working out every WR that can even play in the nfl. Any wr that has had recent success in the league goes without saying.

If he's healthy, I'd like to see us bring Brandon Reilly back.

He was our best WR in camp until he got banged up. 

32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think Anderson has made a lot of very nice on time throws, especially on intermediate routes. I think there have been lots times where we could afford to take a shot with him and figure he will actually give the WR a chance. Allen took some shots but despite the canon never hits on them. An actual canon would prob get a ball closer to the guys hands. Peterman we don’t even try. If we are going to suck and punt constantly anyway,  I would at least take a bunch of shots downfield and let the defense know we aren’t afraid to try. Maybe the run game and  some crossing routes underneath would open up if the defense respected the whole field.

Good point 

54 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Peterman CHOSE to run on a HAIL MARY... Allen has taken shots down field a couple the WR couldnt get and others Allen was inaccurate. 

Nailed it. JA does throw deep. It doesn't work. He either misses, foster drops, and regardless we don't have enough deep threats to help the cause anyway. 

Surprised you didn't get the 10 thumbs up rep points you deserve. I hate it when rep points go wasted. All about the rep to post ratio (for those of us joined right after it's introduction cause I'm crushing the old posters there. Sorry bout it.)

9 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Qb sucks, oline sux.  Wrs suck,  defense won't let us fair catch. 

WR's can't even draw a PI cause corners are probably coached not to worry about it. Statistically Foster drops the ball 20% of the time, I'd be telling my D Backs to never give the Bills a PI because it'd be a miracle it works anyway.

44 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

This has been driving me crazy since Allen went down. Throw it deep every freaking play. 1 of 3 things will happen. 1. INT, when you are as bad as our offense it's basically a punt. 2. Catch. 3. DPI.

The 3 yard passes are killing the run game. It's not a coincidence that the run game has suffered since Allen went down.

You forgot number 4: incomplete pass, which is the most likely outcome. They are called low percentage 

plays for a reason.

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Nailed it. JA does throw deep. It doesn't work. He either misses, foster drops, and regardless we don't have enough deep threats to help the cause anyway. 

Surprised you didn't get the 10 thumbs up rep points you deserve. I hate it when rep points go wasted. All about the rep to post ratio (for those of us joined right after it's introduction cause I'm crushing the old posters there. Sorry bout it.)

WR's can't even draw a PI cause corners are probably coached not to worry about it. Statistically Foster drops the ball 20% of the time, I'd be telling my D Backs to never give the Bills a PI because it'd be a miracle it works anyway.

Foster hasn’t even been on the roster in a month. What are we doing here

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You forgot number 4: incomplete pass, which is the most likely outcome. They are called low percentage 

plays for a reason.

And 3 PI.. Not sure the DBs are gonna have to foul Foster or Streater to create and incomplete pass. Those happen with Rodgers to old Jordy burning down the field with a guaranteed TD unless you PI

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

And 3 PI.. Not sure the DBs are gonna have to foul Foster or Streater to create and incomplete pass. Those happen with Rodgers to old Jordy burning down the field with a guaranteed TD unless you PI

To his credit, he cited PI in his post. 

Just now, K-9 said:

To his credit, he cited PI in his post. 

And I'm maintaining PI ain't an option on this offense. I'd coach my CB to see if Foster can catch it, let alone in stride, and keep running to the touchdown. He'll drop it or have to make a dumb adjustment to simply catch it and slow down proud he got one. And then get tackled. DCs likely play the %s and insist "NO PIs! This team can't catch a cold or catch in stride"

It's no surprise that every single one of our QBs has been gun shy, our receivers seemingly suck at every facet of their game, can't get separation, can't beat defenders one on one, run half assed routes and half of the time can't catch balls that are delivered right on target.

Hard to develop a rookie with an abysmal receiving core. 

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

My guess is that the Bills WRs are too slow to run too far downfield unless the QBs have 10 seconds or so to throw the ball.  :w00t:

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Foster hasn’t even been on the roster in a month. What are we doing here

Not watching the Bills. Whoever the fast receiver is now. He doesn't scare me as a DC. I wouldn't give him a PI, i"'d make him make the play successfully for a TD.

Wait.. is the fast guy Kelvin now? DEFINITELY wouldn't give him a PI, would just  jog along with him and bat down the throw

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

In todays NFL, short passes can act as ur running game. QB's such as Brady who can get the ball out quick with good accuracy just dink & dunk down the field & then the plays down the field open up.

I'm not gonna comment on our Bills offense however bcuz we already all know what the issues are. We've discussed them in depth ad nauseam.

I understand the frustration, i hate losing too. Heck making suggestions that we should throw it deep bcuz an interception would be as good as a punt anyways just goes to show how bad things are around here. But seriously, thats not how u win football games is it? If we're talking yolo let it fly cuz ***** it, then sure why not. But i think you'd lose the locker room at half time, more so then what might be the case already.