Josh Allen is all that matters

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My standard is whatever eventually works......

And since the past plans have netted 7 and 9 seasons....those were not it.....the bills are trying something new.   It is not a finished product

This is not new. I give you, the Buffalo Bills 6 step method for ruining a QB. 

Step 1. Draft/Sign QB. (✓)

Step 2. Pretend to develop him. (✓)

Step 3. Put him in an awful situation. (✓)

Step 4. Fail to acknowledge the error and stack the deck against him (✓ when he returns)

Step 5. Fire the coach (TBD after 2019)

Step 6. Find a new QB (TBD)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone fired, but I don't see how this is much different. We have traded up nonstop in the draft, made boneheaded trades, and the only positive free agency addition was the safety tandem - a position that other teams have been hitting with late picks. The only thing they have done differently is save money instead of spend money and all we know so far is John Brown said HELL NAH to extra money. 

Edited by Elite Poster

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

One can make that argument I think.  They certainly have to address the offense in a big way this off season.  If they don't they'll deserve whatever criticism comes at them.

It scares me when the coach comes out and says that he believes you win in Buffalo by playing field position and pounding the rock. IMO I believe they drafted Allen cause he is a mobile QB like Tyrod but a higher ceiling. They want a QB that doesn't take chances and doesn't turn the ball over like Tyrod. You need explosive offense to win. If Allen comes back they should be running an offense like that. The season is lost anyways, atleast see if Allen can make those kind of throws. 

8 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Couldn't agree with this post more.  Is this a horrible season to be a bills fan?  OF COURSE!!!  But we should of, and some of us did, seen this coming. I'm almost certain that there were internal conversations within One Bills Drive that prepped all involved for this being a "bottoming out" season.  

Not for nothing, but I remember TONS of posters on this site for quite a few years claiming that we needed to hit rock bottom.  We had season after season of having a record between 7-9 to 9-7 and never completely bottomed out and had the chance to completely rebuild.  Well guess what... that's happening now!!

I have a feeling that McD's ceiling is going to be 7-9. Just dont think he has the philosophy for todays nfl

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It scares me when the coach comes out and says that he believes you win in Buffalo by playing field position and pounding the rock. IMO I believe they drafted Allen cause he is a mobile QB like Tyrod but a higher ceiling. They want a QB that doesn't take chances and doesn't turn the ball over like Tyrod. You need explosive offense to win. If Allen comes back they should be running an offense like that. The season is lost anyways, atleast see if Allen can make those kind of throws. 

I think Daboll will open it up more when Allen returns.  As much as he can given the talent he has at the skill positions.

They know you have to have a QB to win in the league.  Beane said that going into the draft.  But as one who has watched Bills football since 1960, and I'm sure you have for quite a while as well, it is true that in November/December it helps to have a guy that can hum the ball at QB.  Look at our two most successful guys in history:  Kemp and Kelly.  Both could hum it when the winds blew.

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its more like if you are going to draft your QB at least give him some help. Instead McDermott believed they would be able to pound the rock and have Allen be a game manager. IMO they have gone about building this team backwards. This league is all about explosive offense with enough defense to make a couple of stops. Instead of spending their money on defense they should have helped Allen and the offense. 

The NFL is about playing to whatever your strengths are and finding ways to win. Not everyone has Brees or Brady or Rivers at QB, not everyone has the offensive weapons that Andy Reid and Sean McVay have the luxury to work with.

Since it’s used so much as “mistakes” this regime has made, let’s use the Carolina connection. 

Once they got Cam and Kuechly the rest of the pieces fell into place. Other than mccafrey this year and Olsen they always have mid level talent surrounding most of those guys. Not blue chip prospects but mid round drafted talent. They are a threat to win the division and playoffs every year. They do that by drafting and developing mid level talent and signing low budget free agents mostly.

We can all agree I’m sure cam isn’t a very great quarterback and when Kuechly is out their defense is pretty trashy, but that’s the same blueprint these guys are using. 

Not sure why it’s not talked about more, stop looking at KC and the Rams that’s not what they’re trying to build. It could progress into that with a few major hits on receivers in the draft but from where I am sitting I see the same blueprint of roster building as Carolina. 

The nice take from that is our secondary is already built better than anything Carolina has put on the field for the most part. 

As others have said though all of these moves, all of these mistakes all fall on one player. Josh Allen. Like him or not your next 3-5 years of buffalo bills football/success revolve around what that kid can do. 

Personally I think Daboll has called some great games with the lack of talent. 

Receivers get schemed open, they drop the pass or the QB never sees them. 

They get a successful run, holding penalty to bring it back. 

You can call all the plays you want from home, but if the players can’t make the plays what’s the point? 

At one point he dummies down the playbook as much as possible and these dudes still can’t run it with success. What more can the guy do? Continue to coach up the young guys for next year and scout what talent is available to improve. 

If you wanna see all kinds of motions and great formations go watch KC, they have the weapons and talent to do those things. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Explain to me the context, logic, and reason of going into the season with the mentor and steady presence at QB being Nathan Peterman and I'll stop complaining about the ineptitude of the front office. 

Normal person: That was an error and a big red mark on your record. If you repeat the same mistake it may be a fireable offense depending on the rest of your evaluation.

Bills fan: FIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

It's unbelievable how people can proclaim that the coach won't be fired this year under any circumstances. 

What if we finish 2-14 and are playing to half empty stadiums in December?

What if Allen shows zero signs of improvement after he comes back?

This team is a complete dumpster fire right now. Saying there definitively won't be changes in week 9 of an abysmal season where you might set the franchise record for fewest points scored doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There won’t be any coaching changes after this season so save your breaths.

The Franchise hasn’t even played these last three games so it’s hilarious to me how angry so many are. These games are meaningless at this point.

Once we saw McCarron look worse than Peterman in the preseason and then traded, we should have all seen the writing on the wall: the offense was going to be atrocious.

The only hope this team had of contending for a playoff spot in 2018 was for McCarron (or Peterman) to at least be as good as Taylor was last season. Maybe Beane gave up on McCarron too early and should’ve given him two or three starts at least before getting rid of him. Then again, they never would’ve received a 5th round pick at that point. And would McCarron suddenly have become good if given a start or two? I doubt it.

No one expected the O to be this historically awful but what difference does it make? Bad is bad. You can cry all you want about how terrible the offense is but in the end, this is all about Josh Allen. He’s all that matters.

Allen will come back after the bye and get some experience in a terrible offense. Beane will upgrade the offensive personnel during the off-season and we will see if Allen improves. If he doesn’t then McDermott and Beane will both be on a pretty hot seat.

If we reach the end of the 2020 season and Allen stinks, then kiss these guys goodbye.

As for right now, anyone calling for a GM or coaching change needs a grip on reality.

thank you, I have made similar statements but people just want to be mad and can't see the obvious.

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Josh Allen is the most important thing. And McDumbass is not the guy to entrust Allen or the Bills future with. His offensive ineptitude is clear. 

That and the multiple blowouts should make McD uncomfortable. A losing season he gets a pass, 2019 is the test, but losing that badly, and seemingly not caring more about the offense are red flags indeed. Allen needs help to develop!

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

yes, exactly! This season for me was 100% only to watch Josh Allen play every single snap and get as much experience as possible as he was a raw prospect and didn't see these defensive looks in the mountain west.

I do wish that Beane would have invested a little bit more in the offensive line and wide receivers as best as he could with our cap situation to give him a better chance to succeed but we all expected to be terrible this year so I don't understand the outrage. 

Next year is year 1 if the rebuild. This year was the last year of the teardown 

They better surround Allen with talent this offseason! Priority #1. Their success and Allen's are connected a lot so they better have a sense of mission doing so.

The Franchise hasn’t even played these last three games so it’s hilarious to me how angry so many are. These games are meaningless at this point.

Once we saw McCarron look worse than Peterman in the preseason and then traded, we should have all seen the writing on the wall: the offense was going to be atrocious.

The only hope this team had of contending for a playoff spot in 2018 was for McCarron (or Peterman) to at least be as good as Taylor was last season. Maybe Beane gave up on McCarron too early and should’ve given him two or three starts at least before getting rid of him. Then again, they never would’ve received a 5th round pick at that point. And would McCarron suddenly have become good if given a start or two? I doubt it.

No one expected the O to be this historically awful but what difference does it make? Bad is bad. You can cry all you want about how terrible the offense is but in the end, this is all about Josh Allen. He’s all that matters.

Allen will come back after the bye and get some experience in a terrible offense. Beane will upgrade the offensive personnel during the off-season and we will see if Allen improves. If he doesn’t then McDermott and Beane will both be on a pretty hot seat.

If we reach the end of the 2020 season and Allen stinks, then kiss these guys goodbye.

As for right now, anyone calling for a GM or coaching change needs a grip on reality.

Sorry you lost me at The Franchise. Right now he is Tyrod 2.0 with better upside. 

47 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Regardless, they still won 9 games with a roster that many thought would result in the #1 overall pick before the season began.

I understand. But let’s be honest, 3 or 4 of those wins they had no business winning.

The ball just bounced their way last year. Finally.

I don’t think 2017 should be really considered when making a decision for Beanes or Mcds future. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's unbelievable how people can proclaim that the coach won't be fired this year under any circumstances. 

This team is a complete dumpster fire right now. Saying there definitively won't be changes in week 9 of an abysmal season where you might set the franchise record for fewest points scored doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

Like many things in life, often things get worse before they can get better... a firing is cathartic don't get me wrong, but starting over again is ideal every 2 years.

An A for your take - realistic and spot on.

IMHO there bigger failure than QB was their handling of the Oline.  Bills lost 3 starters vs 2015/2016 teams - Wood, Glenn and Richie.  Severely overestimated Ducasse and Miller's capabilities. Both are NFL backup quality players.   At OT, Newhouse, McDermott were barely NFL roster players prompting them to deal Newhouse and sign Serles mid-season.  As for C, neither Groy nor Bodine are capable NFL starters - again, like QB,  there was a competition where the competitors themselves were not worthy entrants.

Going into 2019 I would keep Dawkins, Serles, Boetgger and Teller.  Draft a franchise  LT and move Dawkins to LG.  SIgn a C and RT in FA and let the 2 kids fight it out at RG.  Bid farewell to Mills, Ducasse, Miller and Groy.   Bodine and Serles are backups in 2019.

Amazing how obvious and simple this is, yet so many people just can’t seem to grasp this.

1 minute ago, B-Large said:

Like many things in life, often things get worse before they can get better... a firing is cathartic don't get me wrong, but starting over again is ideal every 2 years.

Our HC doesn't have anything in common with the best coaches around the NFL.

I don't know why anyone thinks he'll be the guy who can develop Allen given his complete lack of success on offense so far. 

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The fact you say this just proves you have no clue about the reality of this team.  This is NOT what they built, nothing they did was about THIS year.  

Except for the Vikings game, this season has been brutal for the offense. I do think that the defense is in good shape. I believe that McD, McB  and Daboll should be given one more year to to get the offense on track. It will probably take more than one year to completely rebuild the offensive line, given that 4 starters probably need to be replaced, but hopefully the o-line can improve enough to protect Allen. I think Allen has the potential to be a franchise QB, but we won't know until the o-line and WRs improve. So, if Allen turns out to be a franchise QB and the offense improves next year, I'm good. This year is on McB in my opinion. He either over estimated the o-line and WR talent or was willing to tank this year. Rebooting every two years won't work.

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

I agree with you. Additionally, I would like for the Pegulas to do what they were originally reported to be doing when they took over a few years ago -- that is bring in an experienced and impartial guru as an "aid" to the existing front office. Now that the offense has completely bottomed out, someone who knows what the hell they are doing needs to come in here as an architect to help set a solid foundation.

I know what you're saying, but isn't that the GM's job?

I fear that any "Football Czar" coming in would only create divisions within management.  No need for more chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Allen was the biggest gunslinger and risk taker in college football. Your theory couldn’t be more abundantly off the mark.

And this is where the “McDermott is too conservative for 2018!” argument goes off the rails. Tyrod is a conservative coach’s dream: never attempts a throw that may result in a turnover.

If McDermott were as backwards and conservative as many here claim, he would have NEVER let Tyrod go.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The fact you say this just proves you have no clue about the reality of this team.  This is NOT what they built, nothing they did was about THIS year.  

This is 100% what they built.

They traded for their two starting receivers, giving up a 3rd for Benjamin and a 2nd for Jones. Both of which are terrible. 

They opted to not upgrade the OL, trading away Cordy Glenn, and signing a bunch of scrubs to fill our the depth chart even though they had plenty of time to plan for life after Glenn, Incognito and Wood. 

They got rid of the 2017 starting QB, and went into the summer with their guys. Peterman, McCarron and Allen were hand picked as their guys and I'd guarantee they expected that group to perform better than Taylor did last year. 

This is McDermott's offense. He got rid of all of Whaley's guys, and brought in his own guys who fit the culture he wants. Unfortunately none of them are quality football players. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Allen was the biggest gunslinger and risk taker in college football. Your theory couldn’t be more abundantly off the mark.

Gunslinger? He threw for 1800 yards in 11 games his last season at Wyoming.

Maybe he was firing blanks.

And this is where the “McDermott is too conservative for 2018!” argument goes off the rails. Tyrod is a conservative coach’s dream: never attempts a throw that may result in a turnover.

If McDermott were as backwards and conservative as many here claim, he would have NEVER let Tyrod go.

This does give me hope...

Tyrod seems like the dream QB for a guy like McDermott...

Jauron probably sits around and dreams of what might have been had his path crossed Tyrods in Buffalo....

Yet McDermott benched Tyrod then traded him... So there must be some hope

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They traded for their two starting receivers, giving up a 3rd for Benjamin and a 2nd for Jones. Both of which are terrible. 

They opted to not upgrade the OL, trading away Cordy Glenn, and signing a bunch of scrubs to fill our the depth chart even though they had plenty of time to plan for life after Glenn, Incognito and Wood. 

They got rid of the 2017 starting QB, and went into the summer with their guys. Peterman, McCarron and Allen were hand picked as their guys and I'd guarantee they expected that group to perform better than Taylor did last year. 

This is McDermott's offense. He got rid of all of Whaley's guys, and brought in his own guys who fit the culture he wants. Unfortunately none of them are quality football players. 

You are categorically wrong.  You are so off base and illogical about this that I am not even going to comment any further.  

If what you say is true then they should have let Allen play that way when he started. Instead they went to a conservative game plan. His best game was against the Vikings where he was alowed to sling it all over the field. When he does come back let him sling it all over the field and see what he can do. My fear is they will continue with the conservative pound the rock game plan. 

24 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Normal person: That was an error and a big red mark on your record. If you repeat the same mistake it may be a fireable offense depending on the rest of your evaluation.

Bills fan: FIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we are going to sit here and act like they didn't start Peterpickerman last year? And then again this year game 1? And then didn't replace him and he vommitted all over himself again vs the Texans?

Yesterday was out of their hands, but he is still employed. 

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

Should we hang a banner for losing in the wildcard round?

Raise the damn standard for the teams in this city (and that starts with us). 

It was a historic 17 year hiatus. Banner? 

Shoot! They should have rings made up.

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

If Allen is all that matters, it's very unfortunate he's a likely bust.

McBeane's futures in Buffalo are single-handedly tied ot Allen.  

As a reminder, Allen was the costliest QB in this past Draft, he essentially cost us four day 1 & 2 picks considering that we could have taken Edmunds with the 12th overall, which would have been a wise decision, then take Rudolph who had far less risk late in round 3 and then wait til next year while using picks 22nd, 53rd, 56th, and 65th picks for OL & WR.  

But Allen was "their guy" that they thought selling the farm for was wise.  There's zero possibility that their careers, here as well as as GM & HC elsewhere, are not directly tied to Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This is far too rational and makes too much sense for most posters on this board, unfortunately

The Bills offense has proven itself to be among the NFL's worst.  I'm not sure how some on here could think a raw rookie quarterback could step right in and save it all.   I'm not happy about Josh Allen's injury but I am happy he's been able to sit a few games and watch now.  I hope he comes back after the bye and things get better  but can't expect miracles with this offense. 

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

We’re barely though the first half of Year #1 in this offense. With three quarterbacks - two of which have no business being in the league, the other an extremely raw rookie.

25 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Gunslinger? He threw for 1800 yards in 11 games his last season at Wyoming.

Maybe he was firing blanks.

Stats!

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So this regime has earned to 2020 based off what???  Blowout loss after blowout loss?

They haven't.  Only in the eyes of some delusional fans do they have until 2020.

I suspect a lot of these posters are not Sabres fans and do not closely follow that team.

If Pegula decides its time to end this experiment with McBeane, they'll be gone, and it will probably happen sooner than people think and at a time which surprises.

These fans also don't like to objectively analyze who Josh Allen is.

He will flame out and we are not going to see much progress into next season. 

At a certain point, everyone will lose patience, especially the fans.  When next year really doesn't make anything better,  McBeane will be gone and we'll be looking for a new QB.

This regime doesn't even see the 2020 season, let alone the end of it.

At this point, it's just a question of whether or not Pegula wants to proactively get out in front of this thing now or at season's end, or if he wants to burn another year.

As to which he will do, I don't know.

Edited by Fadingpain