Josh Allen is all that matters

I wasn’t high on Allen coming out but to be honest the only guy I really liked was Baker.  I think Allen shows some good things at times but has a lot to work on. The more I see of Peterman and the more this staff talks about how well he does in practice and how much they believe in him makes me think they have no clue evaluating QBs. So who knows how Allen will turn out. It could be an ugly few years

44 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

IMHO there bigger failure than QB was their handling of the Oline.  Bills lost 3 starters vs 2015/2016 teams - Wood, Glenn and Richie.  Severely overestimated Ducasse and Miller's capabilities. Both are NFL backup quality players.   At OT, Newhouse, McDermott were barely NFL roster players prompting them to deal Newhouse and sign Serles mid-season.  As for C, neither Groy nor Bodine are capable NFL starters - again, like QB,  there was a competition where the competitors themselves were not worthy entrants.

Going into 2019 I would keep Dawkins, Serles, Boetgger and Teller.  Draft a franchise  LT and move Dawkins to LG.  SIgn a C and RT in FA and let the 2 kids fight it out at RG.  Bid farewell to Mills, Ducasse, Miller and Groy.   Bodine and Serles are backups in 2019.

from another thread.  OBD needs to double down in FA and land a C and RT for 2019.

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are categorically wrong.  You are so off base and illogical about this that I am not even going to comment any further.  

Everything I said was factual.

The roster is filled with guys they went out and got.

Our terrible group of receivers is composed of guys they specifically targeted through trades. 

The result of their roster building, is having the worst offense in 20+ years. 

25 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We’re barely though the first half of Year #1 in this offense. With three quarterbacks - two of which have no business being in the league, the other an extremely raw rookie.

One of the guys you're referring to is McDermott's pet. 

He's had a thing for Peterman dating back to last year when he forced him on the field thinking he'd be better than Tyrod.

It's not like Peterman is playing by accident. They made him the damn starter in week 1. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Our terrible group of receivers is composed of guys they specifically targeted through trades. 

He's had a thing for Peterman dating back to last year when he forced him on the field thinking he'd be better than Tyrod.

It's not like Peterman is playing by accident. They made him the damn starter in week 1. 

In my opinion they were trying to save Josh Allen from this horror show of an offense by starting Peterman.......

And know it was not the right choice...the right choice would have been a vet guy with movement skills so Allen could hold a clip board for a while.....which Peterman on the practice squad or god forbid playing against us on another team.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In my opinion they were trying to save Josh Allen from this horror show of an offense by starting Peterman.......

And know it was not the right choice...the right choice would have been a vet guy with movement skills so Allen could hold a clip board for a while.....which Peterman on the practice squad or god forbid playing against us on another team.

No, they started him because he was their best QB in camp and earned the job over Allen and McCarron. 

Say what you want, but I guarantee the Bills thought they were building off this season. I think they thought their current QBs would be an upgrade over Taylor, that their OL would be more cohesive, and that their WRs would improve. 

Not a single one of those things materialized. These guys simply can't evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don’t know how to explain Peterman. I liked him out of Pitt. Looked good in the preseason of 2017. Anyone who watched practices and preseason games will tell you that he bested McCarron rather handily. He’s bad in games.

I don’t think that should be counted against McDermott twice. And I wouldn’t call him McD’s pet considering if it weren’t for Allen’s injury he would have been off the roster weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

No, they started him because he was their best QB in camp and earned the job over Allen and McCarron. 

Say what you want, but I guarantee the Bills thought they were building off this season. I think they thought their current QBs would be an upgrade over Taylor, that their OL would be more cohesive, and that their WRs would improve. 

Not a single one of those things materialized. These guys simply can't evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

Peterman was NEVER going to be the future of this team.......and how anyone can say they were biulding off last year I dont understand...they didnt have the HORSES to biuld off last year.......

1 hour ago, TaskersGhost said:

McBeane's futures in Buffalo are single-handedly tied ot Allen.  

As a reminder, Allen was the costliest QB in this past Draft, he essentially cost us four day 1 & 2 picks considering that we could have taken Edmunds with the 12th overall, which would have been a wise decision, then take Rudolph who had far less risk late in round 3 and then wait til next year while using picks 22nd, 53rd, 56th, and 65th picks for OL & WR.  

But Allen was "their guy" that they thought selling the farm for was wise.  There's zero possibility that their careers, here as well as as GM & HC elsewhere, are not directly tied to Allen.  

Sold the farm? More like they expanded the farm first and then parceled off a few acres instead. They had 8 picks in the last draft, including 2 in the first round and currently have 10 picks in next year’s draft. Retaining that many draft selections is not the definition of  selling the farm. 

We we can argue that they should have kept the extra acres instead and I get that, but I don’t fault Beane for executing his plan, especially in the short term, to position himself to select the players he had targeted. That’s why he acquired those extra acres in the first place.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Peterman was NEVER going to be the future of this team.......and how anyone can say they were biulding off last year I dont understand...they didnt have the HORSES to biuld off last year.......

What are you talking about?

They went to the playoffs last year!!!

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah, through good coaching. 

The offense was bad all year but the defense played well. Overall he did a decent job coaching.

All of the problems are on the player personnel side. They've completely mismanaged the roster, particularly on the Offensive side of the ball over the past two seasons. 

1 hour ago, dakrider said:

The Bills offense has proven itself to be among the NFL's worst.  I'm not sure how some on here could think a raw rookie quarterback could step right in and save it all.   I'm not happy about Josh Allen's injury but I am happy he's been able to sit a few games and watch now.  I hope he comes back after the bye and things get better  but can't expect miracles with this offense. 

What in the world do you think he is learning about playing QB in the NFL as he stands on the sideline and watches?

Especially with the likes of Anderson and Nate playing QB?

He will learn by playing and only by playing.  Hopefully he can come back soon.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The offense was bad all year but the defense played well. Overall he did a decent job coaching.

All of the problems are on the player personnel side. They've completely mismanaged the roster, particularly on the Offensive side of the ball over the past two seasons. 

I can't call it mismanaged without seeing what they do next year. If people don't understand that the majority of the moves they've made, and the ones they haven't, have been with an eye toward 2019...well, I don't know what to tell them. 

This isn't a case of 'wait till next season'. Any fan of this team should be able to understand that without knowing the outcome of 2019, rendering judgement on this FO is an incomplete exercise.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

This is where you are categorically WRONG. They did not BUILD this offense.  You at like this offense is their INTENT.  They filled in holes where they had to.  Beane did not draft Zay Jones.  The only WR Beane went out and really got was KB, and the ONLY reason he did that was because the Bills SURPRISED last year and were in the playoff hunt and needed some help.  Had the Bills NOT been in playoff hunt, ZERO percent chance Beane trades a 3rd.  KB had some bad luck and got hurt.  

They have NOT begun the offensive roster rebuild outside of adding the QB.  In one draft, Beane managed to trade up TWICE inside the FIRST round WITHOUT giving up ANY future first round picks (something unheard of today) and landed his QB on O and the guy to QB the defense for the next decade in Edmunds.  He then also landed Taron and Phillips, both guys who look good so far.  Thats one hell of a first draft in terms of early returns so far.  

We had cap issues and Beane has said many times it would take TWO years to fix it, and he did it in less than that.  Going into this next year, our D looks to be on a great path and we already have our QB.  The NEXT phase is going to be addressing OL and WR, and wouldn't surprise me to see them look at TE as well.  They have a ton of cap room and 10 draft picks to fill those spots.  

If you think this offense is their "rebuild" then you are just delusional.  EVERYTHING they did to this point is about the future, NOT this year.  If you think this was about winning this year then you need your head examined.  We won't know what their offense looks like until we see the moves this make after the season in FA and draft and how Allen matures next year.  

So sorry, you categorically wrong in your flawed assessment.  They may or may not succeed in the rebuild, but what we do KNOW today, is that this offense is not what they are building, its the result of having two OL retire and having to spend to get important pieces at QB and on the D.  YOU CAN NOT FIX IT ALL IN ONE DRAFT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

What in the world do you think he is learning about playing QB in the NFL as he stands on the sideline and watches?

Especially with the likes of Anderson and Nate playing QB?

He will learn by playing and only by playing.  Hopefully he can come back soon.

Learning how to prepare for games, dissecting defenses and preparing your game plan.  And I think Anderson should help in that regard.   

As I and others on here have mentioned, takes time to learn how to be an nfl qb.  Mahomes sat most of last year.  Tom Brady sat his entire first year.  I think they both learned a few things sitting. 

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I can't call it mismanaged without seeing what they do next year. If people don't understand that the majority of the moves they've made, and the ones they haven't, have been with an eye toward 2019...well, I don't know what to tell them. 

This isn't a case of 'wait till next season'. Any fan of this team should be able to understand that without knowing the outcome of 2019, rendering judgement on this FO is an incomplete exercise.

I think you can argue this about the OL, but I genuinely think they went into this season thinking they could win with what they have at QB, WR/TE and RB.

In all seriousness I think the moves they made last offseason had them thinking they'd be better this year. 

I think they thought they upgraded at OC, I think they thought Benjamin would bounce back and Jones would take a big step forward, and I think they blamed Tyrod for most of the offenses struggles last year and thought this year's QBs would represent a big upgrade. 

When you hear McDermott, it isn't the voice of a guy who expected the offense to be bad. He seems genuinely shocked that they're bad. He sounds like a guy who doesn't have any answers because he got it so wrong at the drawing board stage. 

Obviously they were clearing out bad contracts, but I feel that they thought this year's offense would be better than last years, and we'd slowly be building upon our 9-7 record from last season. I think this is a HC who hates losing, and although they're would be ups and downs with young QBs, I think overall they were happy with their offensive personnel heading into this season. 

Edited by jrober38

46 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think you can argue this about the OL, but I genuinely think they went into this season thinking they could win with what they have at QB, WR/TE and RB.

In all seriousness I think the moves they made last offseason had them thinking they'd be better this year. 

I think they thought they upgraded at OC, I think they thought Benjamin would bounce back and Jones would take a big step forward, and I think they blamed Tyrod for most of the offenses struggles last year and thought this year's QBs would represent a big upgrade. 

When you hear McDermott, it isn't the voice of a guy who expected the offense to be bad. He seems genuinely shocked that they're bad. He sounds like a guy who doesn't have any answers because he got it so wrong at the drawing board stage. 

Obviously they were clearing out bad contracts, but I feel that they thought this year's offense would be better than last years, and we'd slowly be building upon our 9-7 record from last season. I think this is a HC who hates losing, and although they're would be ups and downs with young QBs, I think overall they were happy with their offensive personnel heading into this season. 

Last paragraph we are in agreement. I don't think they necessarily saw this offense being as bad as it is. That's a mark against them and it's valid. But realistically, between a cheap McCarron and a not-yet-terrible Peterman, if Allen doesn't get injured we're talking about whether or not he's the long-term answer instead of worrying about a terrible offense and clueless FO. That's a different conversation and outlook on this FO and it's due IMO entirely to that injury which nobody could have predicted. Injuries hurt, and at QB they hurt worst of all. NFL truism.

And that said...it would STILL hinge on 2019. That's why I'm comfortable waiting 3 years. For the people who've already made up their minds re: Allen, they are ready to move on. Me, everything is still on the table. 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So this regime has earned to 2020 based off what???  Blowout loss after blowout loss?

We aren't losing because of bad coaching, we are losing because our rookie QB is hurt and the rest of the offense just doesn't have enough talent on it in a rebuilding year where they focused on fixing the cap and getting key pieces in place like Allen and Edmunds.  This isnt like Cleveland where there is a bunch of talent being misused.  Our HC is going to be here until the end of next season where he will either be an ascending HC coming off a much improved season, or a HC on a hot seat if the team is not headed in the right direction (Beane and McD both).