What I'd do to see a fun entertaining high scoring Bills game...... Will it happen???

Please no more winning ugly.  Yep 1-2/yr is okay, but every week to watch this offense struggle, no creativity or wanting to move the ball downfield is makes it almost impossible to watch.  85 yards passing, 19 attempts and 1 TD in two weeks is unwatchable.  I feel sorry for the fans who pay money and am thankful I can tape the game, have Picture in Picture on, switch to the NFL network and watch while on a bike getting exercise and reading too.....

Does the Bills front office & coaches pay no attention to the fact that every winning team does it with an offense capable of moving the ball, throwing for 350+ (used to say 300, but 400 now easily done)?

Yep before I get the stoopid responses "Then don't watch", unfortunately the Bills have been my team for 48 years and I will keep watching, however I am now having nightmares of Joe Ferguson and his 15 pass attempts/game.....

This is 2018 not 1973...... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Please no more winning ugly.  Yep 1-2/yr is okay, but every week to watch this offense struggle, no creativity or wanting to move the ball downfield is makes it almost impossible to watch.  85 yards passing, 19 attempts and 1 TD in two weeks is unwatchable.  I feel sorry for the fans who pay money and am thankful I can tape the game, have Picture in Picture on, switch to the NFL network and watch while on a bike getting exercise and reading too.....

Does the Bills front office & coaches pay no attention to the fact that every winning team does it with an offense capable of moving the ball, throwing for 350+ (used to say 300, but 400 now easily done)?

Yep before I get the stoopid responses "Then don't watch", unfortunately the Bills have been my team for 48 years and I will keep watching, however I am now having nightmares of Joe Ferguson and his 15 pass attempts/game.....

This is 2018 not 1973...... 

I'd hate that b/c it implies you didn't enjoy the Vikings game b/c they did not score. Shaky defense gets on my last nerve, and my nerves are precious and dwindling.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was a good defensive battle between 2 very similar team's. We won a hard fought game against a 3-1 team, not sure what the problem is, were facing playoff caliber team's now since we made the playoffs last year with a freaking rookie QB who was said to be too raw to start right away, it really is a miracle that were 2-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I thought it was a good defensive battle between 2 very similar team's. We won a hard fought game against a 3-1 team, not sure what the problem is, were facing playoff caliber team's now since we made the playoffs last year with a freaking rookie QB who was said to be too raw to start right away, it really is a miracle that were 2-3. 

That's a really good point. I know teams often "look" different from year to year, as far as looking at the schedule before the season goes, but the Bills are a playoff team that took a significant step back WRT the roster. They have a new, raw rookie QB, 3 new full time offensive linemen, and are weaker at WR (Matthews when healthy and Thompson were servicable enough). Yeah, it sucks seeing your team struggle in certain ways, especially so bad on offense, but wasn't this kind of expected to some extent?

Again the point is the Bills drafted Allen as the future and need to develop thus.  19  pass attempts/game, no creativity, minimal talent and putting him in bad situations is not helpful.  Only an idiot would not acknowledge the need to have an offense that people respect and are concerned to play against.

It took Sean McVay's hiring to turn Goff into a QB, so lay the blame where it belongs on the Coach & FO. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

"a fun entertaining high scoring Bills game"

Two Big IFs:

IF Allen can hit Foster (and/or McCloud) on the long pass,

IF Foster (and/or McCloud) can catch them,

the offense will start to open up for the young QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I’d love it if football went back to the same rules as the 90’s. I’m not nearly as excited for the National Pin Ball league. A few more years of everyone passing for 400 yards a game and people will complain. 

I may be in the minority, but I think the dramatic increase in passing offense is not a result of the rule changes, but rather the fact that modern nfl coaches understand that, as a general rule, passing is a much better way to move the football and score points than running.  They have put more emphasis on throwing the ball and developing innovative passing concepts. I don’t think yards per attempt have gone up dramatically in the past 20 years, but the number of attempts certainly has.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

I may be in the minority, but I think the dramatic increase in passing offense is not a result of the rule changes, but rather the fact that modern nfl coaches understand that, as a general rule, passing is a much better way to move the football and score points than running.  They have put more emphasis on throwing the ball and developing innovative passing concepts. I don’t think yards per attempt have gone up dramatically in the past 20 years, but the number of attempts certainly has.  

Pretty much spot on, along with rules that aid the offense.  I swear this staff breaks out tapes from the 70's to prep and put in the game plan.

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Uhh check out completion percentages since the rule changes. YPA also has gone up but the important stat you forgot about was completion percentage. The game has changed dramatically. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is some weak ass trolling.

No just wish I could watch a game that has some offence and back & forth.  Quit pointing out the anomaly that was the Vikings game where the Bills didn't even have 300 yards TOTAL offence, and scored 27 of the 63 they've put up this year.

31 minutes ago, billspro said:

I actually don’t mind watching defensive battles. But I would like to see this offense join the modern era soon. I feel like I have never watched a good Bills offense.

This year, forget it. They tried a very vertical, deep pass style offense against the Packers and got ZERO points for it.

You adjust your scheme to your personal, period. Even the Josh haters will admit that with his big arm, 2 wideouts with great speed, one being a great overall receiver, could change the Bills offense instantly. But these players, if they come, it'll be next year and beyond...

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again the point is the Bills drafted Allen as the future and need to develop thus.  19  pass attempts/game, no creativity, minimal talent and putting him in bad situations is not helpful.  Only an idiot would not acknowledge the need to have an offense that people respect and are concerned to play against.

It took Sean McVay's hiring to turn Goff into a QB, so lay the blame where it belongs on the Coach & FO. 

When exactly did Goff become a QB?

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think it is a combination of both...coaches realize that passing is a better way to move the football, because the rule changes have made it that way.  

Sal and Jeremy had a pretty interesting discussion this morning about how dramatically passing stats have gone up since 2011, with the CBA, and rule changes that were introduced then.  They were speculating that, if healthy, the way the game is now, more than a handful of the current young QB's may very well supplant Drew Brees as the yardage leader...it is the way the game is trending.

I love a good shootout, but to be honest (warning: old guy take) I am getting a little numb to them.  Granted, if I wasn't a Bills fan, I likely would have found the Bills/Titans game kid of dull, I am not so sure it would have been much duller than the Saints/Redskins game on Monday Night.

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I think it is a combination of both...coaches realize that passing is a better way to move the football, because the rule changes have made it that way.  

Sal and Jeremy had a pretty interesting discussion this morning about how dramatically passing stats have gone up since 2011, with the CBA, and rule changes that were introduced then.  They were speculating that, if healthy, the way the game is now, more than a handful of the current young QB's may very well supplant Drew Brees as the yardage leader...it is the way the game is trending.

I love a good shootout, but to be honest (warning: old guy take) I am getting a little numb to them.  Granted, if I wasn't a Bills fan, I likely would have found the Bills/Titans game kid of dull, I am not so sure it would have been much duller than the Saints/Redskins game on Monday Night.

7 guys completing 70 percent of their passes right now. The league average is 65 percent. The game has changed drastically. Sure, they attempt more passes now because it has become the most efficient way to move the ball due to the rule changes. 

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No just wish I could watch a game that has some offence and back & forth.  Quit pointing out the anomaly that was the Vikings game where the Bills didn't even have 300 yards TOTAL offence, and scored 27 of the 63 they've put up this year.

So you're looking for games with ****ty defense.  Got it.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Uhh check out completion percentages since the rule changes. YPA also has gone up but the important stat you forgot about was completion percentage. The game has changed dramatically. 

I suspect that completion percentage has gone up so much because teams are putting a lot more emphasis on the short passing game, recognizing that short passes are actually a better way to control the clock and move the chains than running the ball.  NE is a perfect example of this.  If completion percentages have gone up more than YPA, which seems to be the case, that might be why.  And by the way, I don't dispute that rule changes have had some effect, I just think the main reason for the increased passing numbers is that teams throw the ball more, with more advanced passing concepts.      

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'll take 16 ugly wins a year, thank you.

Winning is all that matters. You don't get extra style points for scoring 30+ every game.

We watch sports to be "entertained", filled with emotions and thrills. But I agree that most "ugly" wins beats losing 35-38!

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Yes, I think it is combination of both and that's exactly the way the league wants it.  You might be sick of defense-free shootouts, but I'm guessing a lot more fans will be tuning in to the KC v. Rams game in a couple weeks than they would for a game between two great defenses.   

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There were many people that didn't eat the regurgitation, and didn't consider Goff a bust after year 1. You know why? Because it was year 1. People are too quick to jump all over something and break out the pitchforks, especially once it becomes the popular thing to do. In LA with Goff, and in Buffalo with McBeane (or anyone at any time ever in Buffalo)...Goff may not have been under the best tutelage under Fisher, but I was confident that he'd be a good QB. McVay and his staff (oh, and all those weapons they've added over the last 2 years...) certainly are getting the most out of him.

Why don't we just let things play out first, instead of automatically assume Allen needs an offensive HC? Get the weapons, then judge.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Embrace winning ugly.

Trust the damn ugly process

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’d like my girlfriend to be more “adventurous” in the sack but I’ll take what I can get 

"Attack winning. Don't fear failure"

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

We watch sports to be "entertained", filled with emotions and thrills. But I agree that most "ugly" wins beats losing 35-38!

I am entertained most by winning. It's fun when the offense does really well and scores lots of points, but I also want to see the defense do really well.

Just now, mannc said:

I suspect that completion percentage has gone up so much because teams are putting a lot more emphasis on the short passing game, recognizing that short passes are actually a better way to control the clock and move the chains than running the ball.  NE is a perfect example of this.  If completion percentages have gone up more than YPA, which seems to be the case, that might be why.  And by the way, I don't dispute that rule changes have had some effect, I just think the main reason for the increased passing numbers is that teams throw the ball more, with more advanced passing concepts.      

More advanced passing concepts? The game is adopting more and more college concepts because how dumbed down it has become. 28/32 NFL coaches went down and met with Lincoln Riley this offseason. Just a few years ago people were scoffing at the air raid system QBs. Now look what the NFL is becoming.

I’m starting to wonder if people’s love for the game jades their views. If you spent an hour looking over rule changes and the rise in statistics you could make the link by yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

More advanced passing concepts? The game is adopting more and more college concepts because how dumbed down it has become. 28/32 NFL coaches went down and met with Lincoln Riley this offseason. Just a few years ago people were scoffing at the air raid system QBs. Now look what the NFL is becoming.

I’m starting to wonder if people’s love for the game jades their views. If you spent an hour looking over rule changes and the rise in statistics you could make the link by yourself.

No need for the condescension.  I’m well aware of the rule changes.  And it’s entirely possible that college football is ahead of the NFL when it comes to passing game innovation.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

No need for the condescension.  I’m well aware of the rule changes.  And it’s entirely possible that college football is ahead of the NFL when it comes to passing game innovation.

Sorry.

Air Raid QBs were always downgraded because they would struggle picking up a “pro system”. Now the college system has been integrated into the pros. Brady was on the radio this week talking about how the Chiefs and other teams use a ton of college concepts now.

Have you ever considered that the league sat down and realized that they need new QBs to market and the easiest way to do that was to ease the transition. The league must be brilliant because it’s like no one notices. Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Mayfield etc. all come out blazing the league. Don’t you think some of it is because the game has been made easier?

For years all we would hear is that playing QB is the hardest position in sports, ok, let’s make it easier and safer so we can sell more tickets and merchandise. 

22 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Sorry.

Air Raid QBs were always downgraded because they would struggle picking up a “pro system”. Now the college system has been integrated into the pros. Brady was on the radio this week talking about how the Chiefs and other teams use a ton of college concepts now.

Have you ever considered that the league sat down and realized that they need new QBs to market and the easiest way to do that was to ease the transition. The league must be brilliant because it’s like no one notices. Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Mayfield etc. all come out blazing the league. Don’t you think some of it is because the game has been made easier?

For years all we would hear is that playing QB is the hardest position in sports, ok, let’s make it easier and safer so we can sell more tickets and merchandise. 

It’s still a hard position...just ask Josh Allen or Sam Darnold.  (Wentz actually struggled quite a bit as a rookie and Mahomes didn’t even play.). It’s true, though, that some guys like Mayfield and Watson are making the transition to the pros look easy.  Maybe they’re just that good.  And maybe pro teams are using air-raid/spread passing systems because they work, at least with certain personnel.  Anyway, good discussion...

Anyone who can watch a Bills game objectively and tell me it's enjoyable is delusional.......  13-12 and it was a snoozefest.  The Viking game was over in the first quarter and and the three losses almost unwatchable.

The Bills style may result in 4-5 wins max.......