Bills Sign CB Dontae Johnson; Release DE Nate Orchard

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

May be a decent option.

Started all 16 games for SF last year (last year of his rookie contract).

4th rounder in 2014.

Had a 50 yard pick 6 last year.

Signed by Seattle this year but went on IR just before the season started with a minor injury.

Seattle just released him from IR.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Report: Bills Worked Out CB Dontae Johnson - Will Sign Today
1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha.  This team. We need more corners!!!

Well seeing as half the corners on the roster have been struggling with injuries to start the season, it's not an unwise move. Can't keep going in with only 4 active and having 1 get dinged in game. Especially now that Bush can't help out from the safety position. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We are thin at CB after Vontae pulled a Vontae and Phillip Gaines (who is terrible to begin with) has a robot arm right now.

But while it's necessary, I have to admit it is extremely frustrating seeing them consistently addressing their Defensive holes and completely ignoring their Offensive ones.

I think it is a lot easier to plug in a defensive player than to plug in an offensive player. It will take a few weeks to get an offensive player up to speed, if they can ever truly get up to speed during the regular season.

And they have been bringing in offensive linemen. Everyone just wants to see more receivers brought in.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bills Sign CB Dontae Johnson; Release DE Nate Orchard

While I’d rather we add someone who can run routes, get open and catch balls....or block someone adequately....I think he’s a really nice fit for our D.  Similar to Hyde is playstyle. Played corner, safety and some LB in college.  Good zone fit.  With Hyde possibly missing some time, he makes sense.

7 minutes ago, JPP said:

...And the defensive rebuild continues!!  Do these idiots know that we have an offence on this team??  I guess it dont matter when your playing 70's football!

I suggest they sign every WR in the CFL and see if one would stick...   

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

BF799D37-D2F7-45D0-A55C-9AB8F98AE9DE.jpeg

You think that's a difficult decision for this front office? I dont think they sweat that decision....

The problem that many here have with the front office moves is that they are more then willing to cut and sign guys for the defence every week, but dont have that urgency to do the same for the offence. If offensive positions require more time to get someone up to speed, you would think they would be more willing to sign someone know. They constantly turn over ever stone and pebble looking for DBs and linemen for the D, but feel confident enough to have Nate Peterman the only other QB in the room, and dont feel that making moves to find better WRs or linemen for the offence would help their prized rookie QB develop, after him being considered in the draft the QB that would require the most development.......

Honestly, I think the lack of looking for WRs / Offensive linemen have more to do with what they're trying to accomplish on the respective sides of the ball. Defensively, they know what they have and they have the same scheme and they're only looking to get through the year because DBs effectively can play at any point without needing too much consistency and they invested Draft picks, one very high at the cost of others, in the LBer group and will probably either pay good money for another (which I doubt) or Draft another one in the mid rounds. 

Offensively, it is entirely about the future. They want to see what they have in their Offensive line because they're going to need to re-sign at least a couple because you can't have every single starter turnover, except for Dawkins. So, they want to know what the future holds. As for KB, he's the only real Vet to start at WR, and Zay is just trying to gain traction while Foster and McCloud could be or may not be the future with Josh Allen. The same can be said with Croom. As for Teller, I think they're taking the path they took with Milano which is to keep him learning and taking reps and gaining bulk, confidence and reps to eventually take over, either later in the year or next year. They have that because Ducasse hasn't been bad. Additionally, I think the FO knows they are going to need to invest in OL via FA AND the Draft. Preferably a Vet Center and RT and then either re-sign Mills or Draft one and they'll still need to sign more OL for depth / competition. But, that Center position is a key position that will need to be viewed as priority. Also, the Draft is deep with DL and DE, so signing those guys to short term deals makes sense when they will be aplenty in the Draft which is more the long-term solution.

Nobody wants to really embrace it, but we need to embrace the suck. It is what it is for this year. We all talked about this year being a year to take to re-build and get Josh and Edmunds learning and growing. Not to mention T. Johnson and Horrible Harry, which all four have shown real signs of promise. Patience is the key. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This makes me think the Bills might view him as a Safety replacement / depth for Hyde more than a CB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1