Serious question: If this team continues to go the route that it is going what makes anyone think players will want to come to Buffalo to play?

Iverwig

This is such an old topic. Nothing has changed. Some players won’t want to come to Buffalo. True. 

Do you have a plan to change that or are you just starting the thread to somehow appease your unhealthy football anxiety? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not sure what you're saying to me.

I'm stating the Bills have a truckload of FA $'s and will have to overpay to get players to come here IF they want to come at all.

I can't say it any simpler.

Are you mad that the Bills will have to do that because I'm not trilled either, it's just the way it is.

Oh then yeah sure.. I misunderstood. But does truckloads of FA money not what we did in a similar vein with Whaley, a mistake that got us in this cap hell we're supposed to be in.

And I was okay with the Whaley approach in getting his QB and offense in a hurry to support the defense he had going. He tried to win quick, screwed up quick. Just want to point out sounds like what we're advocating again. And again, why not.. just can't screw it up. And if you do, change course or get canned quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It really depends on the player.

I would agree money is the number 1 factor, but there are other factors as well.

Dan Bailey is a prime example of turning down more money to join a good team.

The old Dallas kicker?

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Oh then yeah sure.. I misunderstood. But does truckloads of FA money not what we did in a similar vein with Whaley, a mistake that got us in this cap hell we're supposed to be in.

And I was okay with the Whaley approach in getting his QB and offense in a hurry to support the defense he had going. He tried to win quick, screwed up quick. Just want to point out sounds like what we're advocating again. And again, why not.. just can't screw it up. And if you do, change course or get canned quickly.

I understand you now too.

What I believe were Whaley went wrong was......

1.  He spent ALL the FA $s at once.  If Beane does this right (like I seen other teams do recently) is he has to leave

20-25 million unspent and roll it over to 2020.  You can't find all your needs in 1 FA without reaching.

2.  He got even greedier by not signing even contracts.  Too many contracts had a very small 1st year cost.

That pushes the money owed out to the future.  That is not good financial planning in any way of life.

3.  Whaley even went farther and started "refinancing" contract to free up current year cap with bigger guarantees later in the contract.

The perfect example is Clay initial and redone contract.  That was a crime.

I really hope Beane is much better at this stuff.

To be fair to Whaley all the coaching changes did not help at all!

Also you got to pay the right players!  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

We will not be a destination right now. 3 players quit on us and others are tweeting.  We need bbn to produce a winner... or a plausible hope to be a contender fast or people will go elsewhere in order to win. These guys painted themselves in  a corner with their process and culture. The league is watching

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Money.  /close thread

Even so, don’t want to spend all that cap on three guys. To OP’s question, that’s why we have the draft. But we need more pull to Lee contract prices down as much as possible. 

Edited by ctk232

The problem is that there will be a bunch of teams with a lot of cap space next offseason, including the Colts, the Jets and the Texans, all of which have more cap space than we do.  The Browns and the 49ers also have significant cap space for 2019.  This means there will be significant competition for a limited pool of quality free agents, and I don't think that Buffalo will be as attractive a destination as compared to some of these other choices, particularly if the team and Josh Allen struggle this year.  Each year, it seems that the pool of blue chip free agents gets smaller as teams sign their own to be free agents before they can hit the market.  I don't think we can count on fixing most of our talent problems through free agent acquisitions in one offseason.

All everyone keeps saying is how much money we have next year and how many picks...what makes anybody think these guys will pick the right players? You can have all the picks and money in the world. If you can’t identify talent..it won’t matter. Our Recieving group is legitimately embarrassing. The fact that these guys had months before the season to get players in and this is what they came up with, is scary. Last year was no better. The Oline is very suspect. That’s a good feeling when you are starting a rookie.?To think that our only 2 QBs on the roster, are a very raw Rookie and a second year guy that we literally can’t put back in a game...what are we doing here? I don’t care if we have 150 mil in cap room, these guys don’t know what to do with it. We don’t have to be this bad right now. We don’t have money tied up in a big qb contract. The cupboard wasn’t bare when these guys got here. They made it that way. Seemingly for no reason. Where does this faith come from? 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

The problem is that there will be a bunch of teams with a lot of cap space next offseason, including the Colts, the Jets and the Texans, all of which have more cap space than we do.  The Browns and the 49ers also have significant cap space for 2019.  This means there will be significant competition for a limited pool of quality free agents, and I don't think that Buffalo will be as attractive a destination as compared to some of these other choices, particularly if the team and Josh Allen struggle this year.  Each year, it seems that the pool of blue chip free agents gets smaller as teams sign their own to be free agents before they can hit the market.  I don't think we can count on fixing most of our talent problems through free agent acquisitions in one offseason.

You speak the truth.

It will be an up and down year for Josh which most of us knew already, this year is about our QB's progression. Next year we can use some cap money protecting him, you don't think players will sign here? We made the playoffs last year, I think we'll be fine. Now getting FA WR's may be a tough task but we might want to draft our own anyways. I think the future is bright if we don't get Allen killed but that's just my opinion, I can see what this team could be, when Allen has time the guy is a much different QB than when he's running for his life.

6 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Money.  /close thread

Not exactly....

I assume the issue is how can the Bills secure a player IN DEMAND over more favourable locations that are also bidding for him?

any bum on his way out will sign with the only team asking about him if it means his alternative is selling used cars in his home town

Or you may mean offering two or three times market value for a Mario Williams, Which isn’t a good strategy when you have 14 starting positions to fill 

8 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I get that money talks but if the contract is not guaranteed then why come and play for Buffalo?  We have been the laughing stock of the NFL for 3 of the first 4 weeks so far.

If by 3 of the first 4 weeks, you mean 25 years, you are correct, sir

9 hours ago, Iverwig said:

What's ridiculous about the post?  I clearly stated SERIOUS QUESTION.  So you have to go back to 84-84 for a repeat of history in 2018 yeah okay.  

OK Einstein, just trying to demonstrate poor teams have bounced back - whatever!

9 hours ago, Iverwig said:

Serious question: If this team continues to go the route that it is going what makes anyone think players will want to come to Buffalo to play?

As pointed out above, money. That's what accounts for probably 95% of all player decisions regarding what team to go to.

The offseason after the Browns went 0 - 16 saw them pick up some very nice FAs.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All everyone keeps saying is how much money we have next year and how many picks...what makes anybody think these guys will pick the right players? You can have all the picks and money in the world. If you can’t identify talent..it won’t matter. Our Recieving group is legitimately embarrassing. The fact that these guys had months before the season to get players in and this is what they came up with, is scary. Last year was no better. The Oline is very suspect. That’s a good feeling when you are starting a rookie.?To think that our only 2 QBs on the roster, are a very raw Rookie and a second year guy that we literally can’t put back in a game...what are we doing here? I don’t care if we have 150 mil in cap room, these guys don’t know what to do with it. We don’t have to be this bad right now. We don’t have money tied up in a big qb contract. The cupboard wasn’t bare when these guys got here. They made it that way. Seemingly for no reason. Where does this faith come from? 

Yes, the FO has to make the right decisions.

No, it's not scary they have a poor receiving group. It was clear they needed help at WR, but they didn't spend many resources on it. That's because they had major needs nearly everywhere. If they had gone WR in the first they wouldn't have gotten one of either Edmunds or Allen. Both of whom if they work out play a position that's far more needful than WR given the defense they want to run.

Beane has had exactly one draft. One. Not one guy he's drafted has played more than four games. 

The fact is that we simply don't know yet how good he is at drafting or at bringing in FAs when he has money. He has no history of either as yet. He'll either be good or bad, and we don't know which as yet.

Myself, I think he's shown himself a smart cookie with a plan. He still has to prove himself but I've got decent confidence he'll do so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yes, the FO has to make the right decisions. Same for every team.

No, it's not scary they have a poor receiving group. It was clear they needed help at WR, but they didn't spend many resources on it. That's because they had major needs nearly everywhere. If they had gone WR in the first they wouldn't have gotten one of either Edmunds or Allen. Both of whom if they work out play a position that's far more needful than WR given the defense they want to run. In this situation there was simply no way to address all of their needs.

Beane has had exactly one draft. One. Not one guy he's drafted has played more than four games. 

The fact is that we simply don't know yet how good he is at drafting or at bringing in FAs when he has money. He has no history of either as yet. He'll either be good or bad, and we don't know which.

Myself, I think he's shown himself a smart cookie with a plan. He still has to prove himself but I've got decent confidence he'll do so.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Not exactly....

Yes exactly.... you are adding a different context to what the OP wrote and answering based on that.  It doesn't take an extraordinary amount of intellectual resources to say to someone "you can get paid x to go to a Super Bowl contender OR a the exact same amount for a bottom dwellar" and have to wonder what the most likely answer would be. However,  to imply no one will come to Buffalo (or Cleveland or Jets etc)  because of the record is blatantly false and THUS my original response. Enjoy the day!

4 hours ago, vorpma said:

OK Einstein, just trying to demonstrate poor teams have bounced back - whatever!

the Bills are AGAIN stuck with a team dominating their division for a decade or more and there's nothing they can do about it, the Fish in the 70s and Brady for much longer

when you are playing for a WC spot as optimal it isn't a good time out there