Dunkin' Donuts is officially dropping 'Donuts' from brand name

dpberr

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

They aren't deleting doughnuts from their product range.

They are simply deleting "doughnuts" from their corporate name.

So they will be known as Dunkin' from now on I guess.

Dunkin’ what? Don’t leave us in suspense like that!!!! Dunkin’ my finger in boiling hot coffee? That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Dunkin’ what? Don’t leave us in suspense like that!!!! Dunkin’ my finger in boiling hot coffee? That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

The story says they want to be a "beverage-led company", but how do you dunk a beverage?  The only thing I can think of where you dunk a beverage is one of those car bomb shots.

15 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Once they stopped making the donuts on site, it was all downhill.

Agreed.  I read about the corporate decision to consolidate the baking facilities.  They knew before they made the decision it'd decrease quality and customers would complain but they have a near geographic monopoly on that fast food niche of coffee and doughnuts so they thought customers would get over it. 

Considering they are one of the few franchises that never seems to take a downturn in building new locations and are recession proof, you'd have to admit they were right.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Agreed.  I read about the corporate decision to consolidate the baking facilities.  They knew before they made the decision it'd decrease quality and customers would complain but they have a near geographic monopoly on that fast food niche of coffee and doughnuts so they thought customers would get over it. 

Considering they are one of the few franchises that never seems to take a downturn in building new locations and are recession proof, you'd have to admit they were right.  

Well, they lost my business. Now on the rare occasion I buy donuts, it's from a local shop. Also, if I want coffee, I go to Wawa

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Well, they lost my business. Now on the rare occasion I buy donuts, it's from a local shop. Also, if I want coffee, I go to Wawa

They moved from on-premises to 100% central baking in the mid-90s when they started making prospective owners buy whole territories, not just one shop.  I recall reading about the decison making process in a book about decision making because it was 100% about efficiency and making as big as a footprint as you can in the shortest amount of time.   The stores needed so much product, the central bakeries were running 24/7, something they couldn't depend on an individual store to do.  There are good franchise owners and there are bad ones and the only way to gurantee consistent product is to centralize all the complexity.  

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

Tim Hortons did the same thing in Canada when a new company bought them out. They eliminated all the making from their stores and went the 'par baked' route where they purchased pre baked frozen products that where done at a factory and reheated on site. Supposed to save money on equipment and other costs but came at the cost of product quality.

This sounds like a publicity stunt like IHop a few months ago, they do something dumb like this and it gets people talking about them in the news......

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Tim Hortons did the same thing in Canada when a new company bought them out. They eliminated all the making from their stores and went the 'par baked' route where they purchased pre baked frozen products that where done at a factory and reheated on site. Supposed to save money on equipment and other costs but came at the cost of product quality.

This sounds like a publicity stunt like IHop a few months ago, they do something dumb like this and it gets people talking about them in the news......

I doubt it's a publicity move.  They already use just the word Dunkin in all of their promotional stuff, might as well make it official.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:37 PM, joesixpack said:

Once they stopped making the donuts on site, it was all downhill.

Is that what happened to them? I never realized, but noticed over the years that they just didn’t taste as good. I guess that has to do with not being as fresh. 

15 hours ago, Dr. Fong said:

Is that what happened to them? I never realized, but noticed over the years that they just didn’t taste as good. I guess that has to do with not being as fresh. 

Two primary reasons:

1.  Central and the on-demand baking remove the freshness.  

2.  "Advancements" in food chemistry.  The modern Dunkin "Donut" has no less than 30 ingredients.  Believe it or not, many of their recipes do not include butter but chemicals that provide the taste of butter.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Other fast food chains that will soon follow suit:

King

Hut

Bell

Mc

One if the most disgusting things I ever ordered was an “egg” sandwich from DD.  It was like styrofoam and CheeseWhiz layered between greasy layers of paper. The only thing that compares to it would be a Jimmy Dean’s breakfast “sandwich.” :sick: