What QB to SIgn?

ngbills

At this point I am all for letting Allen ride this season out. But if he gets hurt or we need a number two I do not want to see Peterman back on the filed. So what is the plan at back up? I like the idea of a vet mentor guy. Also see taking a look at guys with potential. Some ideas below. 

Usual has been:

D Anderson

M Moore

Huh

Jay Cutler

Colin Kaepernick

Really

Paxton Lynch

Davis Webb

I have heard of him

Ryan Nassib

Johnny Football

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let's go get AJ McCarron from the Raiders.  I hear he knows our Offense already.

I was laughing to myself earlier thinking about this scenario.

Trade back for him, give them a 3rd! JUST SEND HELP!

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

At this point I am all for letting Allen ride this season out. But if he gets hurt or we need a number two I do not want to see Peterman back on the filed. So what is the plan at back up? I like the idea of a vet mentor guy. Also see taking a look at guys with potential. Some ideas below. 

Usual has been:

D Anderson

M Moore

Huh

Jay Cutler

Colin Kaepernick

Really

Paxton Lynch

Davis Webb

I have heard of him

Ryan Nassib

Johnny Football

From that list, I think Moore or Anderson would be most likely...maybe Lynch.  I think Webb signed with the Jets.

I think it will be Paxton, they already kicked the tires on him.  If not him, I think the 2 other more likely options are Moore and Anderson.

It SHOULD be Kap, who is best available, but that has a 0% chance of happening.  They won't want the media circus around their prized young rookie Allen.  

SECRETLY HOPING its EJ so I can get my popcorn and watch this board meltdown over a backup QB

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

EJ

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think it will be Paxton, they already kicked the tires on him.  If not him, I think the 2 other more likely options are Moore and Anderson.

It SHOULD be Kap, who is best available, but that has a 0% chance of happening.  They won't want the media circus around their prized young rookie Allen.  

SECRETLY HOPING its EJ so I can get my popcorn and watch this board meltdown over a backup QB

EJ is not a bad backup.  Gruden is terrible at evaluating qbs.  EJ was better this preseason than AJ.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Usual has been:

D Anderson

M Moore

Huh

Jay Cutler

Colin Kaepernick

Really

Paxton Lynch

Davis Webb

I have heard of him

Ryan Nassib

Johnny Football

There isn't much out there at all. Landry Jones is a JAG but I'd likely call him first.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that some (or all) of us believe that he isn’t an option as a number 2. He can’t play. Add a 3rd guy and in a week or so (whenever he learns the playbook) release NP. 

But WHY?  You increase your cap and decrease your rollover for when it will really matter (next season).  I don't see the point.  This season is about development, so this is about Allen, now if he gets hurt yes you bring in a third QB to BU Peterman.  Right now I just do not see a reason this isn't a good football team and some aging vet that will take resrouces away from next year isn't going to save the season.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

But WHY?  You increase your cap and decrease your rollover for when it will really matter (next season).  I don't see the point.  This season is about development, so this is about Allen, now if he gets hurt yes you bring in a third QB to BU Peterman.  Right now I just do not see a reason this isn't a good football team and some aging vet that will take resrouces away from next year isn't going to save the season.

They need someone at number 2 next year too.

• Like (+1) 2

Kaepernick is the obvious choice.

The so called "media circus" would be gone after 1 week anyway.

However, this franchise is NOT going to hire him. Pegula is worried about Trump Tweets for Christ's sake.

He's not going to sign Kaepernick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

It is all about development but there are short and long-term holes. Whether we add a #2 QB tomorrow or in 2019 it isn’t that different. If a vet QB can help with Allen’s development it is absolutely worth the minimal 2018 cap space to do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

They need someone at number 2 next year too.

They have someone at Number 2, a cost controlled Nate Peterman, and should use the rest of this year to decide if they will continue on that path next year at NO 2, or use the UFA or Draft to address it.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Kaepernick is the obvious choice.

The so called "media circus" would be gone after 1 week anyway.

However, this franchise is NOT going to hire him. Pegula is worried about Trump Tweets for Christ's sake.

He's not going to sign Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is not the obvious choice. Why would anybody even think that?!?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They have someone at Number 2, a cost controlled Nate Peterman, and should use the rest of this year to decide if they will continue on that path next year at NO 2, or use the UFA or Draft to address it.

I guess this is where I disagree. There is no more decision. He can’t play in this league so number 2 is a need. The dent to add Matt Moore while cutting NP isn’t even worth mentioning.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is all about development but there are short and long-term holes. Whether we add a #2 QB tomorrow or in 2019 it isn’t that different. If a vet QB can help with Allen’s development it is absolutely worth the minimal 2018 cap space to do it. 

I can understand the aiding in the development of Allen, although I think having a Vet QB in the room is way overblown.  Maybe what they should have done and will do next year as well to continue to the development is instead of worrying about some VET QB, get an actual QB coach instead of a WR coaching masquerading as one. 

So using the list provided how do ANY of them help development of Allen?

Anderson - Maybe can help with being a pro and how to break down tape

Moore - See above

Cutler - How does a malcontent help in the room?

Kap - What would he bring to the room

Lynch - What does he bring that is ANY Different than Peterman

Webb - See above

Nassib - See above

Manzeil - See above

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess this is where I disagree. There is no more decision. He can’t play in this league so number 2 is a need. The dent to add Matt Moore while cutting NP isn’t even worth mentioning.

But WHY?  Matt Moore is also a street FA for a reason right?  On a team with a QB that had a major INJ at the position the older team let him go?  So again what does Matt Moore do in terms of this year and going forward that justifies using 4M in rollover space to sign him for the year? 

And this will be one of a couple positions like this I will disagree with.  There is NOTHING at this point that is going to help this football team enough to make it NOT BAD.  So this is a complete development year for me, and I don't need to use assets (yes rollover space is an asset) from next year to scrape by what might be another win.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I can understand the aiding in the development of Allen, although I think having a Vet QB in the room is way overblown.  Maybe what they should have done and will do next year as well to continue to the development is instead of worrying about some VET QB, get an actual QB coach instead of a WR coaching masquerading as one. 

So using the list provided how do ANY of them help development of Allen?

Anderson - Maybe can help with being a pro and how to break down tape

Moore - See above

Cutler - How does a malcontent help in the room?

Kap - What would he bring to the room

Lynch - What does he bring that is ANY Different than Peterman

Webb - See above

Nassib - See above

Manzeil - See above

Moore is my choice and has been. He’s a decent low cost option that has been serviceable. He may help (especially without a real QB coach).  Additionally, he can play for a month in the event of an injury. I’d sign him through next year and see how it’s working. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gruden is terrible at evaluating qbs.

Funny I think kindof the opposite of Coach Gruden.  He won 2 conference championships and one SB with QBs most people said weren't good enough.  Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson.

We have not seen the last of AJ.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Moore is my choice and has been. He’s a decent low cost option that has been serviceable. He may help (especially without a real QB coach).  Additionally, he can play for a month in the event of an injury. I’d sign him through next year and see how it’s working. 

Ok I guess I could get on board with a two year contract for a Moore, I personally think it is useless and doesn't help one iota, but that could also be my bias on having a "grizzly mentor vet" in the room is WAY overblown, and is just your standard always happen but no one can really articulate the benefits as to why.  Much like the running on first down thing.  Just old thinking. 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Funny I think kindof the opposite of Coach Gruden.  He won 2 conference championships and one SB with QBs most people said weren't good enough.  Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson.

We have not seen the last of AJ.

Yeah you have, Gruden will be fired pretty quickly the game has passed him by watch

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ok I guess I could get on board with a two year contract for a Moore, I personally think it is useless and doesn't help one iota, but that could also be my bias on having a "grizzly mentor vet" in the room is WAY overblown, and is just your standard always happen but no one can really articulate the benefits as to why.  Much like the running on first down thing.  Just old thinking. 

I don’t think that he solves the issue. I do think that he makes it better though. He can help Allen (even if it is some) and is an improvement if thrust into the lineup over Peterman. He raises the floor (which Peterman resets every time he steps on the field). I also think it sends a good message to the vets and the locker room. They can’t ever run Peterman out again without losing faith and trust.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No, he is a number two... a big steaming pile. He doesn’t belong in the NFL on a practice squad 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that he solves the issue. I do think that he makes it better though. He can help Allen (even if it is some) and is an improvement if thrust into the lineup over Peterman. He raises the floor (which Peterman resets every time he steps on the field). I also think it sends a good message to the vets and the locker room. They can’t ever run Peterman out again without losing faith and trust.

There needs to be another reaction for when someone says something so absolutely brutal.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That could be said about a lot of positions on this team though so a BU QB to me is the furthest on the list.  How about two Starting OGs, but yet they will keep trotting Ducasse on the field, what message does that send to the Vets?  Heck when the OWN HC cannot even learn from his continued game days mistakes.  There are a lot of other things I think would improve this team well before who the BU QB is.

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

No you haven't. We'll see about that ...

Name me ONE QB he developed?

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No, he is a number two... a big steaming pile. He doesn’t belong in the NFL on a practice squad 

And we are so worried about a guy that is all goes right the rest of the season (no injury)  will never see the field again what about OG?  WR?  CB?  don't you think we should use our LIMITED cap space (9.1M)  this year to work on positions that actually matter on a weekly basis???

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1