Cheap bland tasting beer.

Jrb1979

Miller Lite.

Tastes gr8, Less filling.

1 minute ago, Needle said:

I love Genny beers. I think people pile on them because its the thing to do. I go for craft beers more often than not though.

Yep.  Everytime I go to BFLo... I bring back a case of Genny Screamers for the young kid @ work.  He's a Cubs fan and probably an alky.  Loves Cream Ale!  It makes his month... Staves off the DTs...

After puking my guts out on genny cream ale in the 70's I can't even stand the smell of it... or ford mavericks for that matter. 

I wouldn't steam crabs with some of the beers mentioned.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

image.jpeg.6df05acc7bee346bb6d5a0bd89512bfc.jpeg

Tell us more.  Do you have a VW GTI?

GTIs kick azz especially when tuned...

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

After puking my guts out on genny cream ale in the 70's I can't even stand the smell of it... or ford mavericks for that matter. 

Same thing with my father... But, the brand spanking new 1970 Ford Maverick, he wrapped around a poplar tree on Broadway in Sloan... Broke his neck... Fraction of an inch from being paralysed! Not sure if he was drinking Genny that night?  Gotta ask Him!

He never bought a green car again.  Come to think of it, Genny comes in green cans!  LoL...

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have never understood why so many people drink cheap bland beer like coors, blue, Genesee and bud. Craft beers have much better tasting. Buffalo has some really good ones. Flying Bison and Ellicottville make some good beer. 

First time I tried a sip of beer I didn't understand why so many people liked beer at all.

Years later I came to appreciate the virtues of beer, but as a newbie my taste tended to the bland. Favored the effect over the taste. Price point was a consideration as well.

And then the craft beer movement started.  I dabbled with brewing my own, my first foray into the non-bland. I liked what I brewed but there was still room in my world for the bland.

Got older, drank more liquor and less beer and found that when I drank beer I wanted more than the bland.

Along the way I determined that I detest IPA's and hoppy beers. Many beer connoiseurs love them, but it 's like drinking nails to me.

My point: you should like what you like when you like it for the reasons that you like it regardless what others like or think you should like.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Were you ever young and poor?    ?

Go into any hip bar in the DC area now (where drink prices are pretty expensive and most people can afford whatever they want, more or less) and you know what you will see as much as anything?

Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors light.  I used to make note of it all the time.

As to how people drink that piss water is beyond me.  It literally makes me ill--gives me a stomach ache--and is just the worst tasting garbage in the world.

It is incredibly popular.  I think it comes down to the power of advertising.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Go into any hip bar in the DC area now (where drink prices are pretty expensive and most people can afford whatever they want, more or less) and you know what you will see as much as anything?

Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors light.  I used to make note of it all the time.

As to how people drink that piss water is beyond me.  It literally makes me ill--gives me a stomach ache--and is just the worst tasting garbage in the world.

It is incredibly popular.  I think it comes down to the power of advertising.

And consistency.  You know what you're getting.  Yeah, it's crap... But it's consistent, no surprise.  People hate change.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

First time I tried a sip of beer I didn't understand why so many people liked beer at all.

Years later I came to appreciate the virtues of beer, but as a newbie my taste tended to the bland. Favored the effect over the taste. Price point was a consideration as well.

And then the craft beer movement started.  I dabbled with brewing my own, my first foray into the non-bland. I liked what I brewed but there was still room in my world for the bland.

Got older, drank more liquor and less beer and found that when I drank beer I wanted more than the bland.

Along the way I determined that I detest IPA's and hoppy beers. Many beer connoiseurs love them, but it 's like drinking nails to me.

My point: you should like what you like when you like it for the reasons that you like it regardless what others like or think you should like.

Thank you!  I love how people now reference some small, quirky beer company as being good, simply because it is small and perhaps somewhat unknown, or has a goofy, arbitrary name.  

I have yet to drink an American "craft beer" that did not taste like ass.  They all do!  They are ALL hoppy and taste like varying shades of Sam Adams, which is terrible.  Not to mention you have no idea what you are about to drink unless you have actually had the beer before by some quirk of luck.  A lot of them play around with gimmicky ingredients and put things in beer that have no business being in beer.

If you like Breckenridge Brewery Remarkable Vanilla Porter, go for it!  Drink up and enjoy.

But don't try to tell me it's "good beer" because the stuff is crap.

^You sound like a guy I know that says the same about his coffee. He likes his coffee to taste like coffee. I don't like really hoppy beer but I love craft beer. For me it has a lot more taste then Bud or Labatts. Best beer I had all summer was a Habanero Mango beer when at Cedar Point. One of my favourites is the Ellicottville blueberry ale. 

Edited by Jrb1979

16 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

^You sound like a guy I know that says the same about his coffee. He likes his coffee to taste like coffee. I don't like really hoppy beer but I love craft beer. For me it has a lot more taste then Bud or Labatts. Best beer I had all summer was a Habanero Mango beer when at Cedar Point. One of my favourites is the Ellicottville blueberry ale. 

Does he like Yuengling?  That's pre-prohibition tasting beer.

How about Vernor's ginger ale? LoL... ?

I love craft beer, but the bland stuff from the big guys has its place in my fridge too. Craft beer is great for things like enjoying a few beers with or after dinner, hanging with friends, or watching the game. When it’s 100 degrees outside and I’ve been doing yard work for the past several hours, I just want something cold and low alcohol that goes down easy. For that it’s hard to beat one of the old mainstays. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

I love craft beer, but the bland stuff from the big guys has its place in my fridge too. Craft beer is great for things like enjoying a few beers with or after dinner, hanging with friends, or watching the game. When it’s 100 degrees outside and I’ve been doing yard work for the past several hours, I just want something cold and low alcohol that goes down easy. For that it’s hard to beat one of the old mainstays. 

I know a few guys who are pretty good at brewing their own beer. “Lawn mower beer” is a thing. Low alcohol, easy to drink.

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Why is it that so many craft beers are IPAs?  I’m not a fan of them; I find them to be bitter and not pleasant.

I prefer a lager.  Is that one more strike against me on my man card?

If I’m only drinking one or two beers, I like to change things up with porter and bock beers.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

image.jpeg.6df05acc7bee346bb6d5a0bd89512bfc.jpeg

Tell us more.  Do you have a VW GTI?

Either that kid ran out of the barber shop early, or a chinchilla is sleeping on his head.

My father would have said "They seen you coming."

My father in law would have said "You paid for that??!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Added generational wisdom.

8 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have never understood why so many people drink cheap bland beer like coors, blue, Genesee and bud. Craft beers have much better tasting. Buffalo has some really good ones. Flying Bison and Ellicottville make some good beer. 

After (or while) mowing the lawn, working outside, splitting/stacking wood, etc. I am not going to drink an Alchemist or Lagunitas. I’ll enjoy a Labatts Light, Genny Light or Miller Light. 

Good craft beers can can be enjoyed at different times. Meals, after dinner, out with friends. 

But you have to have some good watery beer in the fridge to quench your thirst after doing some work outside. 

I guess what I’m wondering is: Has the OP ever done any work outside?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

After (or while) mowing the lawn, working outside, splitting/stacking wood, etc. I am not going to drink an Alchemist or Lagunitas. I’ll enjoy a Labatts Light, Genny Light or Miller Light. 

Good craft beers can can be enjoyed at different times. Meals, after dinner, out with friends. 

But you have to have some good watery beer in the fridge to quench your thirst after doing some work outside. 

I'll never drink a light beer, ever. But I will drink mainstream beers (my favorites are Yuengling, Labatts, and High Life) in the kind of situation you're describing.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

My day-to-day beer is Labatt Light.  I'll get a six pack of an IPA on weekends.  If I'm out and having a beer, I'll usually go with an IPA - preferably something I haven't had before.

Does he like Yuengling?  That's pre-prohibition tasting beer.

How about Vernor's ginger ale? LoL... ?

Pre-prohibition?   How would you know, I didn't think you were that old.

I think there was an entire thread on Vernor's once.  Sadly, you have just ignited a craving for Vernor's and Ice cream.

• Like (+1) 1

Beer is not a beverage to feel superior over.

maybe you were being ironic.

I prefer craft beers but I'm not a snob about it.

I'll drink most anything in a social situation but what I prefer when I am home by myself perhaps watching a game is an entirely different matter.  Honestly, I would rather spend extra money on a good cut of meat for the grill than spend on a small pack of craft beer but that is not to say I would never buy craft beer.

I'll drink most anything in a social situation but what I prefer when I am home by myself perhaps watching a game is an entirely different matter.  Honestly, I would rather spend extra money on a good cut of meat for the grill than spend on a small pack of craft beer but that is not to say I would never buy craft beer.

Our grocery store has a great craft beer selection, most of which is too pricey for me. But when they run a sale on something I like, I stock up. It's still not as cheap as Bud, but it's worth it to me. Also, I only drink one or two a day, so that helps keep the cost down.

When we go on camping trips and I'm drinking 4-6 a day, I go for something lighter.

I enjoy me some Harpoon IPA among others.

However, I did pick up a lonely looking 6 pack of Pabst several months ago. It was 5.99 and of my dad's favorites back away's.

Gotta be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Best of the cheaper beers....by far IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to drink Little King splits at Happy Hour in college. Briefly. I didn’t need to do it too many times to discover it was no coincidence that the most excruciating headaches of my life were to follow. I just might opt to die of thirst before having another one. 

I get that people love craft beers, but in summer heat I like a nice light (and often cheap) beer....but it has to be COLD. The key to beer is COLD! 

I preferred Molson, but I didn’t have a problem with Labatts, but I have a Canadian buddy who calls it something....I can’t type here.