Cheap bland tasting beer.

Jrb1979

I used to drink Little King splits at Happy Hour in college. Briefly. I didn’t need to do it too many times to discover it was no coincidence that the most excruciating headaches of my life were to follow. I just might opt to die of thirst before having another one. 

I get that people love craft beers, but in summer heat I like a nice light (and often cheap) beer....but it has to be COLD. The key to beer is COLD! 

I preferred Molson, but I didn’t have a problem with Labatts, but I have a Canadian buddy who calls it something....I can’t type here. 

Where I am at lately Molson does just as good as anything else for a comparatively inexpensive beer.  Heineken is a beer that is OK but to my taste palate a little skunky and has the headache issue.  A fellow the next room over from me while at junior college many years ago had a 10 cu ft fridge stocked with Heineken so when he was "buying" for the floor that is what we had.  I think that his dad threw him a few bucks to keep the Heineken there for an impromptu visit from dad.  Really was not all that often I had to make do with piss beer.

It feels hotter than the face of the sun outside today. I just spent a couple hours working outside and keeping hydrated with PBR. Perfect beer for the situation.  It isn't my favorite and it isn't what I would drink with dinner, but summertime is for lighter beers in my estimation.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

It feels hotter than the face of the sun outside today. I just spent a couple hours working outside and keeping hydrated with PBR. Perfect beer for the situation.  It isn't my favorite and it isn't what I would drink with dinner, but summertime is for lighter beers in my estimation.  

Seriously....Its only mid 80s here, but it feels like the hottest day ever. I had to let the dog out at 4 am and it was like walking into a sauna outside. We finally got some cloud cover and it's at least bearable for now. I had to stop an get my bearings when I was mowing this morning. I felt like I was going to pass out.

15 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Had a couple Molson's on the golf course today. I much prefer something cold and crisp on a 90 degree day than most of the craft stuff.

When its summertime in GA and I want a beer on the golf course I have even done a mich ultra, just to get that cold crisp as you described.

Drinking heavy beer in the summertime on the golf course is a recipe for vomiting everywhere. 

Winter beers are my favorite,  Porters, Stout, dark ales etc.

Though I am on a gose or Berliner weisse kick right now. 

On 9/3/2018 at 1:18 AM, Fadingpain said:

Go into any hip bar in the DC area now (where drink prices are pretty expensive and most people can afford whatever they want, more or less) and you know what you will see as much as anything?

Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors light.  I used to make note of it all the time.

As to how people drink that piss water is beyond me.  It literally makes me ill--gives me a stomach ache--and is just the worst tasting garbage in the world.

It is incredibly popular.  I think it comes down to the power of advertising.

Exactly how I feel about craft beer. 90% of the craft beer I've had tastes like someone dumped an ash tray into some water and called it beer.  The other 10% had potential but still tasted bad. I try to like it but they taste horrible

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

31 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Exactly how I feel about craft beer. 90% of the craft beer I've had tastes like someone dumped an ash tray into some water and called it beer.  The other 10% had potential but still tasted bad. I try to like it but they taste horrible

Kind of how I feel about most craft beers.  Most taste as though they were the result of a dare to combine random ingredients found in the kitchen and garage. I will say that if you are willing to taste test quite a bit you will find your way into a very good product from time to time.  As I have hinted at before in this thread that if I feel spendy on my weekly budget I am at the point I will drop an extra 20 on top notch grilling meat instead of a 6 pack (or less) of craft brew.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Kind of how I feel about most craft beers.  Most taste as though they were the result of a dare to combine random ingredients found in the kitchen and garage. I will say that if you are willing to taste test quite a bit you will find your way into a very good product from time to time.  As I have hinted at before in this thread that if I feel spendy on my weekly budget I am at the point I will drop an extra 20 on top notch grilling meat instead of a 6 pack (or less) of craft brew.

I agree with this. I did find a mango something or other ale that was pretty good. Still had an odd after taste.  The Danny Trejo commercial a while back where he was a craft bartender and said "I brewed it in my bathtub" is pretty much how I feel these people make it. 

And randomly dumping hops into a vat of beer and calling it "Craft" isn't always a good thing.  I've had IPAs that were disgusting because people haven't learned how to balance flavors they just pour and pray.    

IPAs are the most overrated beer in existence IMO.

16 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

And randomly dumping hops into a vat of beer and calling it "Craft" isn't always a good thing.  I've had IPAs that were disgusting because people haven't learned how to balance flavors they just pour and pray.    

I enjoy Founders All Day IPA (4.7% ABV). It comes in a can and a 15 pack is about $17 at Wegmans. It is very refreshing after a hot day out in the sun.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, rockpile said:

I enjoy Founders All Day IPA (4.7% ABV). It comes in a can and a 15 pack is about $17 at Wegmans. It is very refreshing after a hot day out in the sun.

I'm sure there are good IPAs out there, but for every one good one I believe there are half a dozen stinkers.   

i don't know why people get bend out of shape by this.  i drink quite a bit of light beer.  to be honest, i'll drink anything.  if i'm at a bills game or drinking for a period of time, i always drink light beer.  i'll have a good beer or two to start, but for extended drinking, i go light.  i just get grossed out by drinking too many craft beers.  especially ipas...they turn my stomach after a while.  genny light, coors light, blue light, bud light...i'll drink them all, right in your !@#$ing face.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

A different beer for a different mood.   But please don't call yourself a craft brewer when your craft is overhopping every recipe.  The whole point of pilseners is to be lighter & crisper than an ale.

30 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

i'm so over them.  there are a few that i enjoy, but every time i go to a bar with a good tap selection, i'm sifting through all the ****ty ipas, trying to find a solid one.

38 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I agree with this. I did find a mango something or other ale that was pretty good. Still had an odd after taste.  The Danny Trejo commercial a while back where he was a craft bartender and said "I brewed it in my bathtub" is pretty much how I feel these people make it. 

was it from lockport?  my wife brought home a six pack of mango beer, and it wasn't terrible at all.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know why people get bend out of shape by this.  i drink quite a bit of light beer.  to be honest, i'll drink anything.  if i'm at a bills game or drinking for a period of time, i always drink light beer.  i'll have a good beer or two to start, but for extended drinking, i go light.  i just get grossed out by drinking too many craft beers.  especially ipas...they turn my stomach after a while.  genny light, coors light, blue light, bud light...i'll drink them all, right in your !@#$ing face.

A game will affect my drinking plan.  Almost better to have coca-cola and rum to relax and not need to visit the piss sink during a crucial moment in a drive versus downing a couple quarts of fluid that will come calling within the hour.

36 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Agreed. While I enjoy an occasional IPA - like Founders, mentioned above - too many of them seem to be overhopped just for the sake of doing it. I have a friend who loves IPAs. He offered me one called "Hop Stoopid." I had a feeling I wouldn't like it so I just poured a taste of his into a glass and tried it. Let's just say the beer is appropriately named.

I haven't seen this in a long time, but Sam Adams used to make a Boston Ale. (Not their flagship Boston Lager.) Boston Ale was the most perfectly balanced beer I've ever had. I wish I could find it again. Goose Island Honker's Ale is a close second - I usually stock up on it when I find it on sale. Goose Island was bought out by Anheuser Busch a couple years ago, but so far the quality is still good.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A game will affect my drinking plan.  Almost better to have coca-cola and rum to relax and not need to visit the piss sink during a crucial moment in a drive versus downing a couple quarts of fluid that will come calling within the hour.

that's a good idea.  i've tried to do that before, but i ended up drinking mixed drinks like they were light beers.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, teef said:

that's a good idea.  i've tried to do that before, but i ended up drinking mixed drinks like they were light beers.  

It's worse if you're home too, that rum to coke mixture goes for 20/80 to 70/30 pretty quick to eventually just being a splash of coke for coloring depending on how bad we're losing.  

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's worse if you're home too, that rum to coke mixture goes for 20/80 to 70/30 pretty quick to eventually just being a splash of coke for coloring depending on how bad we're losing.  

i have to be careful if i'm making mixed drinks at home to watch the game.  after 2 i'm well on my way, and that lasts me the first quarter.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i have to be careful if i'm making mixed drinks at home to watch the game.  after 2 i'm well on my way, and that lasts me the first quarter.

Tradition at my house is a Bloody mary around 1130 while gametime snacks are being prepared.   Then a beer or two then it goes as the Bills go.   

17 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If I am home I will have a light beer or two.  The fact that I eat also during the games means I fill up to where I don't over drink.  May not stay buzzed for long but I get satisfaction out of good food, too.  I very seldom have mixed drinks at home if there is no company.

49 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Goose Island makes good beer.    All their beers were good.  Blue point toasted lager is another good beer.    I liked all the Kona brewing lines.   

Love the Toasted Lager. I got nervous when they partnered with Anheuser Busch, but it's still just as good. That along with Yuengling and Shiner Bock are my current go-to's.

• Like (+1) 1

Guess I am one of the few that drinks all kind of beer..all the time! 

In my fridge at this very moment...from light and crispy tart to hop heavy ...all in cans for the most part..

1) Genny Cream  

2) Corona

3) Bud Light 

3) Cigar City Florida Cracker ( white/wit )

4)  Veil Brewing Never Fear Gose

5) Sweetwater Alter Ego Saison( most consumed  beer by far)

6) Boulevard Tank 7 Saison and Victory Sour Monkey..only two bottles of each as I love the beers but the ABV is too high for regular consumption.

7) Dogfish 60 minute...classic, lovely IPA..right hop balance, low ABV for an IPA ( 2nd most consumed beer)

? A bunch of different Sour IPAs from Veil Brewing here in Richmond..combines two styles I love

Also have a bunch of Flemish Red Ale's , Brett Saisons and Pumpkin Saisons in large format.

And yes, my beer fridge at any one time  has generally at least 4 cases of beer in it..Bills season don't want to run out!!!

Seriously, all these beer snobs are starting to get pretty annoying.  You realize that taste and taste preference is 100% subjective, right?  Maybe, just maybe, they drink bud light because they think it taste better.  Couldn't it really be just that simple?

It's funny, you buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and you get way less flavor and taste (IMO) than you get in a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.  But in this case, the Blue is over 2x more expensive than the Black.  And you can say that about a lot of scotches.  But with beer it's the exact opposite.  What gives?  Who is right?

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Seriously, all these beer snobs are starting to get pretty annoying.  You realize that taste and taste preference is 100% subjective, right?  Maybe, just maybe, they drink bud light because they think it taste better.  Couldn't it really be just that simple?

It's funny, you buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and you get way less flavor and taste (IMO) than you get in a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.  But in this case, the Blue is over 2x more expensive than the Black.  And you can say that about a lot of scotches.  But with beer it's the exact opposite.  What gives?  Who is right?

I've only drank Bud light when it was on sale and i was financially strapped.    Not to say I won't drink it but it's not my preferred beer at an open bar.   But I'll throw $3.95 up on the counter in change and walk out with miller high life and enjoy every one of those champagnes of beers.   Then go take  a sip of an expensive IPA and not even finish it.   

It is all subjective, and I don't think that it's snobby to talk about what you like and what you don't.   I can't drink Jack Daniels, i've actually boiled hot dogs in it rather than drink it, but Jim Beam and coke, sure anytime.    

Whatever you enjoy then I say drink up!  However, lets also not pretend that macro american light lagers are something different than what they are: mass produced, cheaply made (with corn and rice adjuncts) bastardized versions of classic european lagers.  If that's what you enjoy then more power to you. I'll have an ice cold one or few myself every now and then on a hot day after yard work. There's a time and place to enjoy all the styles.

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

They sell...that's why they are everywhere.  There's very few craft breweries that don't brew an APA and/or IPA because to do otherwise would be to ignore what the craft beer drinking public wants. 

And trust me, there is absolutely nothing random about what hop varieties brewers "dump" into their beer. Especially for styles that are intended to showcase hops like an IPA.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Much more discriminating in my old age.  But when I was in my teen years,  on Wednesday nights in the summer at Uncle Sam's it was penny a beer and dime a shot.  You could drink anything for a penny a glass back then.

Tell us more about the California Gold Rush, Papaw!

?

Seriously, that's some cheap booze. Nice work.