Cheap bland tasting beer.

Jrb1979

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned...

I'm not a big beer drinker, although I will have a flight in a beer emporium. I like wine. When I first started drinking wine, I didn't know jack about wine and my taste buds were like "mmmm sweet and fizzy!". Fast forward 15 years and now my husband sometimes cringes at what we pay for a bottle of wine (that is in no way sweet or fizzy). My taste buds have matured. I would guess it would be the same with beer.  What tastes great to an 18-year-old with no money tastes like piss-water to a 40-year-old with developed taste buds. 

? ? ?

Many years ago, Saturday late afternoons consisted of carbo loading for Sunday morning's long run.  Syracuse's Pizza Plant, which always had a great selection of imported beers.  I see the enthusiasm in these new domestic exotics, but also encourage the readers to see the merits in the larger brewery offerings from around the world.  My affinity for McEwan's from Scotland was developed there.  

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

16 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Whatever you enjoy then I say drink up!  However, lets also not pretend that macro american light lagers are something different than what they are: mass produced, cheaply made (with corn and rice adjuncts) bastardized versions of classic european lagers.  If that's what you enjoy then more power to you. I'll have an ice cold one or few myself every now and then on a hot day after yard work. There's a time and place to enjoy all the styles.

They sell...that's why they are everywhere.  There's very few craft breweries that don't brew an APA and/or IPA because to do otherwise would be to ignore what the craft beer drinking public wants. 

And trust me, there is absolutely nothing random about what hop varieties brewers "dump" into their beer. Especially for styles that are intended to showcase hops like an IPA.

There are more than a couple microbrewers out there that were stock brokers 2-5 years ago and have no knowledge whatsoever about brewing beer.   They got a home brewing kit for Christmas and decided it was for them.    

i've had beers that tasted like dish soap from micro breweries that had no clue what they were doing.    There is more than enough random ingredient dumping going on in the market.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Best thing about light beer is that there isn't any in my refrigerator. Used to drink Yuengling on hot days, hoppier beers when it got colder. More apt to drink dry red wine when it starts getting cooler now, except on game day. Being from Rochester, drank plenty of Genny in my teens and early 20's...then I got a job that paid more than minimum wage. Still enjoy the 12 horse draft when at the Genny Brew Pub though.

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

There are more than a couple microbrewers out there that were stock brokers 2-5 years ago and have no knowledge whatsoever about brewing beer.   They got a home brewing kit for Christmas and decided it was for them.    

i've had beers that tasted like dish soap from micro breweries that had no clue what they were doing.    There is more than enough random ingredient dumping going on in the market.   

Nope. They all know what to do, whether they control the process right determines the beer quality. 

On 9/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned...

I'm not a big beer drinker, although I will have a flight in a beer emporium. I like wine. When I first started drinking wine, I didn't know jack about wine and my taste buds were like "mmmm sweet and fizzy!". Fast forward 15 years and now my husband sometimes cringes at what we pay for a bottle of wine (that is in no way sweet or fizzy). My taste buds have matured. I would guess it would be the same with beer.  What tastes great to an 18-year-old with no money tastes like piss-water to a 40-year-old with developed taste buds. 

? ? ?

i think this is very true. the first time i had a "craft beer", it was an ipa. i had no idea what an ipa was. instantly, i wondered what kind of illness the people drinking it were suffering from. as i grew older, and tried more beers, i found out what all the fuss was about. i like a good ipa in the summertime, then when it comes to fall and winter i find myself really enjoying the stouts and porters. and there are many different ales that are a lot of fun to try. to each their own, i guess.

14 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Nope. They all know what to do, whether they control the process right determines the beer quality. 

I disagree.   Plenty of people in plenty of business fields that have no clue what they're doing. It's no different with beer.   

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I disagree.   Plenty of people in plenty of business fields that have no clue what they're doing. It's no different with beer.   

But it's not about as you say the ingredients they are "randomly dumping" in a beer. There is absolutely nothing random about the basic recipe for any given style. They all know the framework of grain bill, hops and yeast strain they need to use to brew a style. Whether or not a beer turns out bad, decent or exceptional is all about process control. Mash conditions, water chemistry, hop utilization, fermentation conditions etc. 

Edited by BillsFanNC