Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Not a full bodied endorsement of Peterman by McDermott at his press conference at all, IMO.

He dodged questions about if Nate would be looking over his shoulder and what steps Allen needs to take to become the starter, so you know both of those topics came up with the QBs in their meetings. The fact that he seemed to leave it open for Allen to take over at any time isn't really ideal for Peterman's confidence.

6 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

funny it was that game that mcd decided to see how versatile his olinemen were.....

It almost seems as though that was the plan...give Josh a taste of “this is the NFL, kid” to ease the hype train. And if he blew the doors off anyway, great, but if he struggled than it set everything up for what we see today. Nate “earns” the job and Josh gets all of the #2 reps to develop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

Not a full bodied endorsement of Peterman by McDermott at his press conference at all, IMO.

He dodged questions about if Nate would be looking over his shoulder and what steps Allen needs to take to become the starter, so you know both of those topics came up with the QBs in their meetings. The fact that he seemed to leave it open for Allen to take over at any time isn't really ideal for Peterman's confidence.

Peterman's confidence is coated in Teflon. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

It almost seems as though that was the plan...give Josh a taste of “this is the NFL, kid” to ease the hype train. And if he blew the doors off anyway, great, but if he struggled than it set everything up for what we see today. Nate “earns” the job and Josh gets all of the #2 reps to develop. 

Yeah. I think the fact that he played well enough to trade AJ was a victory in and of itself. Gonna be patient and see how things pan out.

Nate Peterman is the starter some of us predicted vs. the Josh Allen fans. No surprise here. Josh Allen has too many negatives compared to Nasty Nate. Josh is not ready this year and next year. The most damning negative is his slow decision making (holding on the ball too long a la Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Tyrod). Doesn't seem like he can ever fix that.

Nasty Nate era is here. He's our Franchise QB. I don't see Josh taking that away from him. Nate is fast with his decisions, fast trigger, and super accurate arm. Nate just has to stay durable and the Buffalo Bills QB position is his for a long time.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Nate Peterman is the starter some of us predicted vs. the Josh Allen fans. No surprise here. Josh Allen has too many negatives compared to Nasty Nate. Josh is not ready this year and next year. The most damning negative is his slow decision making (holding on the ball too long a la Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Tyrod). I don't think he can ever fix that.

Nasty Nate era is here. He's our Franchise QB. I don't see Josh taking that away from him. Nate is fast with his decisions, fast trigger, and super accurate arm. Nate just has stay durable and the Buffalo Bills QB position is his for a long time.

It doesn't matter how fast he gets the ball out there if he throws it to the wrong team.

Joe B: Nathan Peterman gets the start, but the Buffalo Bills left the Josh Allen door wide open

(WKBW) - The Buffalo Bills ended nearly a six-month mystery on Monday when they declared that Nathan Peterman -- not the rookie and seventh-overall selection Josh Allen -- would be the starting quarterback heading into the 2018 season. Now that the "who is starting in Baltimore question" has been answered, no longer will there be questions about the starting quarterback.

Right? Right?! 

Yeah, I regret to inform you that this is just the start of a carousel of queries. And the Bills have to be ready for it all because now the clock has officially started.

That line of thinking isn't to take anything away from Peterman, who did everything he could to earn the starting job at the beginning of the season. He was the most in control of the offense, he was the most accurate of the group, and quite frankly head coach Sean McDermott both loves him and stands up for him whenever last year's debacle in Los Angeles is brought up.

16 minutes ago, CSBill said:

All this interest in DEs—waiver claims, free agent visit—something snells bad, is Murphy out????

He's been non-existent. I'm not expecting much even if he does return. If we don't blitz on every passing down, the QB can grab a bagel before he has to throw.

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Unfortunately, this is all about lowering fan expectations. Its not about what is best for winning games or developing Allen.  If you are start Peterman and go 0-4, then fans stay interested when you bring in Allen. If you start Allen and go 0-4, then fans lose interest.  The second scenario much better for developing Allen. 

Agree to disagree. While what you say can be another consequence of the choice I do not believe it  is ‘all about lowering fans expectations’. McDermott doesn’t strike me as that type of coach at all. McDermott and Beane have displayed that their motive is to do what’s best for the team now and in the future. 

John Harbaugh: The Season Is 'Upon Us' (13:37)

Head Coach John Harbaugh talks about some of the bigger 53-man roster decisions and the plans moving forward for Robert Griffin III and Lamar Jackson.

News & Notes: John Harbaugh Sheds Light on Tough Roster Decisions

Two days after the Ravens released their initial 53-man roster, Head Coach John Harbaugh shed some light on some of the tougher decisions in his first Monday afternoon press conference of the regular season.

Keeping Three Quarterbacks
Harbaugh Happy for Perriman to Get a Fresh Start
Davis Was in High Demand After Ravens Release
Harbaugh Happy to Still Have Grant and White
Releasing McClellan Was Tough As Ravens Usher in Youth

8 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Just to give him a little more time to digest the offense and after week 8 or 9 we could be eliminated.

After week 4 we have 5 winnable games before our bye. Doubt we win all 5, and winning  9 of the next 12 and hoping for playoffs ain’t happening with either QB. Might as well give Allen the weak part of the  schedule. Plus starting at home against the Titans might be the best for him.

Edited by BananaB

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills are fielding a very Jauronesque team this year. 

The talent at some positions are incredibly bad.

So you're taking time off from your regular coaching job,to come here and impart your pigskinesque wisdom upon the masses.Well thank you El Stupido!

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Nate Peterman is the starter some of us predicted vs. the Josh Allen fans. No surprise here. Josh Allen has too many negatives compared to Nasty Nate. Josh is not ready this year and next year. The most damning negative is his slow decision making (holding on the ball too long a la Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Tyrod). Doesn't seem like he can ever fix that.

Nasty Nate era is here. He's our Franchise QB. I don't see Josh taking that away from him. Nate is fast with his decisions, fast trigger, and super accurate arm. Nate just has to stay durable and the Buffalo Bills QB position is his for a long time.

Without a doubt, when Allen takes over we are going to have to sift through countless posts from this guy explaining how Peterman didn't get a fair shot, or it was the o-line, or the OC, or some injury derailed a promising career. With this kind of commitment, I could see him holding on for years.

I'm blocking him now, just to save me the trouble of reading more nonsense.

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It doesn't matter how fast he gets the ball out there if he throws it to the wrong team.

Eh. Every SINGLE QB will throw picks. What's wrong with you? How about this: The present and the future is Nate Peterman. Josh Allen will never be handed the keys in Buffalo. Yes, he'll start IF Nate gets injured and can't play. However, Coach will yank him out very quickly once Nate is ready to go back in.

GM Beane got played during the draft. He should have never traded for Josh Allen as I written months ago.

• Haha (+1) 1