Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

I was listening to WGR yesterday morning and they were talking about the chicken wing festival. Howard Simon came on and said how he only eats chicken wings in Buffalo. Are a lot of people from Buffalo like that?  

I have wings from many different cities and a lot are just as good if not better. 

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

If I only had wings when I was in Buffalo I would only have wings once/year. That wouldn't do.  I'm also not afraid to try some "non-traditional" flavors.

*Asian Carp Zing Wings?

*[Only wild, hook & line bitten caught]

33 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I was listening to WGR yesterday morning and they were talking about the chicken wing festival. Howard Simon came on and said how he only eats chicken wings in Buffalo. Are a lot of people from Buffalo like that?  

I have wings from many different cities and a lot are just as good if not better. 

That festival is on borrowed time. 

14 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

That festival is on borrowed time. 

Why do you say that? It packs Coca Cola field with thousands a year not to mention from  all 50 states and 20+ countries 

it’s definitely not a bad thing... I can relax with my family 

Edited by Buffalo716

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Why do you say that? It packs Coca Cola field with thousands a year not to mention from  all 50 states and 20+ countries 

it’s definitely not a bad thing... I can relax with my family 

You might be relaxed, but your family is miserable.  I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you.  Enjoy the festival.  Go Bills.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You might be relaxed, but your family is miserable.  I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you.  Enjoy the festival.  Go Bills.

So you’re saying my sweet 91 year old grandmother is plotting my demise?

all because chicken wings ?

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yea right. Did you have them with Ranch? 

Never had wings as good as  WNY wings out of town  (unless I kmade them. The best in other places was a bar in Charleston,SC  and ones that were made by our Bills Backers group at a Bills tailgate in Oakland.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I seldom have chicken wings (although I did enjoy some at Duff's last week), but I would never consider ordering them outside of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've had excellent wings outside the Buffalo area; The Bullpen in Glens Falls has phenomenal wings and the Garrison in Lake George's wings are also very, very good.  Both of these establishments, in my opinion, have wings that are superior to Anchor Bar.

I've never tried Duff's because I've heard enough bad reviews from people I know/trust to not bother.

The best wings I've ever had are from Bar Bill Tavern and the local eateries I listed above aren't even close.  I enjoy Bar Bill's wings once/year and I look forward to an order of those nearly as much as I look forward to going to the game.  

As far as the blue cheese vs. ranch debate .... my belief is that if the wing is decent, you won't want to dip it in anything but your mouth.  The blue cheese/ranch, to me (I always go blue cheese) is strictly for the celery (me no likee raw carrots).

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've had excellent wings outside the Buffalo area; The Bullpen in Glens Falls has phenomenal wings and the Garrison in Lake George's wings are also very, very good.  Both of these establishments, in my opinion, have wings that are superior to Anchor Bar.

I've never tried Duff's because I've heard enough bad reviews from people I know/trust to not bother.

The best wings I've ever had are from Bar Bill Tavern and the local eateries I listed above aren't even close.  I enjoy Bar Bill's wings once/year and I look forward to an order of those nearly as much as I look forward to going to the game.  

As far as the blue cheese vs. ranch debate .... my belief is that if the wing is decent, you won't want to dip it in anything but your mouth.  The blue cheese/ranch, to me (I always go blue cheese) is strictly for the celery (me no likee raw carrots).

Bar Bill is the absolute best... Anchor Bar and Duffs are severely overrated..

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I had not been to Duff's in years as I found them "meh" the few times I went in my misspent youth. When I went last week I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Either my taste buds have changed, or the cook/recipe did.     

As far as Bar Bill's - the place is always packed and I cannot figure out why. The wings are just not that good. 

• Like (+1) 2

I've had wings all over the place, some are decent, some are downright terrible. I haven't had any that replicate what you consistently get in wny.

Regional foods are like that, you can get a facsimile but it's not the same. For example, don't order a cheesesteak if you aren't in Philly. It's not the same. It's the little details that make the difference and those are the things that get lost in translation.  I can get a beef on weck near here, it's enough to hold me over but in no way is it anything resembling good compared to even a mediocre one in Buffalo. The meat is always overdone a little, the rolls are never quite right, the horseradish isn't as fresh. Little details that add up to a big difference. Wings are the same way, oil temperature, how much other stuff was fried in the oil, wing size, sauce flavor, sauce consistency, method of saucing, proper blue cheese, how they are plated, how fast do they come out of the kitchen, do they separate the drum and the flat? Do they cut the nub off the flat? Did they put the wings in the oil frozen, thawed, or fresh? All these things matter to the end product. The more people involved in the process who don't know how to do it right, or think they have a better way, or are hell bent on cutting corners the worse product you get. Hence the decent wings not from buffalo are invariably connected to a place that is owned by someone from Buffalo who is passionate about getting as many of the little things correct as possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

This is like saying that if you dig Asian chicks you have to fly to Japan to get one. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Good wings are good wings. They can be had anywhere. Unfortunately, your odds of getting good wings is MUCH BETTER IN BUFFALO!  If you find a place outside of WNY near your home you can trust, you’re lucky. 

I’m sure there is some worse food than a flabby, undercooked wing....but I can’t think of one right now. 

Best steak I've had was in Spain, best sushi in Atlanta airport, I've had better tacos outside of Baltimore than I've had in LA.  I've had some damn fine wings outside of Buffalo.  Quality is quality, doesn't matter if the "original" is 500 miles away.

PS: Ranch on wings sucks

Edited by stony

There’s this guy I know (born and raised in Buffalo) who goes out for wings sometimes and has to actually recite how he wants his wings. He’ll say something like “I’ll take a single order of wings, hot...but I want the wings crispy. Ya know what I mean. So when they’re crispy, then put plenty of sauce on them. So crispy and saucy...does that make sense?” This guy is really cool and damn handsome so the waitress usually fawns all over him and undresses him with her eyes. Anyway, I eat my wings however. But this buddy of mine is the bomb. 

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

There’s this guy I know (born and raised in Buffalo) who goes out for wings sometimes and has to actually recite how he wants his wings. He’ll say something like “I’ll take a single order of wings, hot...but I want the wings crispy. Ya know what I mean. So when they’re crispy, then put plenty of sauce on them. So crispy and saucy...does that make sense?” This guy is really cool and damn handsome so the waitress usually fawns all over him and undresses him with her eyes. Anyway, I eat my wings however. But this buddy of mine is the bomb. 

For a second, with the finickiness, I thought that this was someone that I also know. Then you gave the physical description & I knew we were not talking about the same guy. 

13 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s silly to say you’ll only have wings in Buffalo. That said, it is always fun to come back and get them at local establishments. 

Yes

and

Yes

I'll add that I'm also not averse to trying different flavors. I found a place that has a mango habanero dry rub. Those wings are fantastic.  The same as "Buffalo wings?" Nope, but they don't need to be.

Edited by Cripple Creek

47 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s silly to say you’ll only have wings in Buffalo. That said, it is always fun to come back and get them at local establishments. 

I took both of my sons to a Bills home game when they were 16. We went to the Anchor Bar for wings both times. When I go back for the home opener this year, I’ll hit Duff’s on Sheridan. I went there as a kid....but more for the beer than the wings. YES, as a KID, I was probably close to the 16-17 age my sons were. Different times. Legal was 18, so 16-17 was “close enough”.  I remember shutting down people at the tailgate who wanted to give my 16 year old beer. “HE’S ONLY 16!”  What a hypocrite. But a wise hypocrite! 

• Haha (+1) 1