Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I've had wings all over the place, some are decent, some are downright terrible. I haven't had any that replicate what you consistently get in wny.

Regional foods are like that, you can get a facsimile but it's not the same. For example, don't order a cheesesteak if you aren't in Philly. It's not the same. It's the little details that make the difference and those are the things that get lost in translation.  I can get a beef on weck near here, it's enough to hold me over but in no way is it anything resembling good compared to even a mediocre one in Buffalo. The meat is always overdone a little, the rolls are never quite right, the horseradish isn't as fresh. Little details that add up to a big difference. Wings are the same way, oil temperature, how much other stuff was fried in the oil, wing size, sauce flavor, sauce consistency, method of saucing, proper blue cheese, how they are plated, how fast do they come out of the kitchen, do they separate the drum and the flat? Do they cut the nub off the flat? Did they put the wings in the oil frozen, thawed, or fresh? All these things matter to the end product. The more people involved in the process who don't know how to do it right, or think they have a better way, or are hell bent on cutting corners the worse product you get. Hence the decent wings not from buffalo are invariably connected to a place that is owned by someone from Buffalo who is passionate about getting as many of the little things correct as possible.

Beef on Weck isn't brain salad surgery... Publix will make you fresh kimmelweck rolls a day in advance if you ask, Millers Horseradish will blow your head off... also readily available. Boars Head roast beef in a little beef broth on warm...  There you go. 

Wings do vary... I make the best around here, but the bbb around the corner has been trained to make excellent ones too so there is that. Marie's is the bomb for bleu cheese... extra chunky but the regular one is just fine.

You strike me as someone who dusts the keyboard off after every post... 

Philly cheesesteaks are pretty much on the level as a beef on weck, again... not rocket science... just hyped.

10 minutes ago, T&C said:

Beef on Weck isn't brain salad surgery... Publix will make you fresh kimmelweck rolls a day in advance if you ask, Millers Horseradish will blow your head off... also readily available. Boars Head roast beef in a little beef broth on warm...  There you go. 

Wings do vary... I make the best around here, but the bbb around the corner has been trained to make excellent ones too so there is that. Marie's is the bomb for bleu cheese... extra chunky but the regular one is just fine.

Philly cheesesteaks are pretty much on the level as a beef on weck, again... not rocket science... just hyped.

Publix will make a nice roll for you. Have to be careful as the salt will dissolve  if the roll sits in the plastic bag, for some reason. And Marie’s does have terrific blue cheese for your wings. You can almost replicate the perfect beef on weck, but I’ve never come close to the best, freshly carved stuff. Still, I’ve also had some LOUSY beef on weck in WNY, too. 

Edited by Augie

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

Publix will make a nice roll for you. Have to be careful as the salt will dissolve  if the roll sits in the plastic bag, for some reason. And Marie’s does have terrific blue cheese for your wings. You can almost replicate the perfect beef on weck, but I’ve never come close to the best, freshly carved stuff. Still, I’ve also had some LOUSY beef on weck in WNY, too. 

Have you ever used boars head rare roast beef sliced thin? Or, Millers horseradish? ... you should be able to get both I would think if you have a Publix. The horseradish is over by the prepackaged cold cuts/sausage/ hot dog section. Plain white label with red wording.

A light warming in beef broth with whatever you want to add... for the beef... and  it is pretty right on. I like enough horseradish to where I could be eating a pigs !@#$ and it would taste... tasty.

40 minutes ago, T&C said:

It's hard to get the rolls to be the same.  The water in the dough really matters and water isn't the same from place to place.  If you don't think it matters I don't know what to tell you, baking is chemistry and the stuff dissolved in the water matters.  The water in Florida isn't the same as the water in Philly.  There's a reason, for example, that they make bourbon in Kentucky.  It's the mineral content (or lack of iron specifically) in the water

I can get Wegmans to make a kimmelweck roll for me here in Philly, it's not the same.  It's close, but it's not the same.  You can get a hoagie roll anywhere, but they aren't exactly the same.

I can make a decent wing myself and Marie's is indeed good blue cheese but you don't get that everywhere.

I take this sort of approach with all regional specialties.  Sure you can get them other places.  Sometimes they are even pretty good, but they aren't quite the same when you take them out of their native area. You would think it'd be pretty easy to make a cheesesteak.  If that is the case why do so many people screw them up?  I've seen all sorts of abominations labeled as Philly cheesesteaks.  The roll is really important.  The cut of meat is really important.  The way you slice the meat to make it super thin matters.  The way you season the meat matters.  Hell, the type of cheese you use matters and there's not even agreement on that in Philly.

FWIW, the beef on weck you described is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's a facsimile.  Sure I can go get some Boar's Head roast beef and dunk it in broth.  Having a beef on weck made with lunchmeat isn't remotely the same thing as having a fresh carved sandwich from a properly cooked roast.  It's good enough in a pinch but it's not a replacement for the real thing.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Have you ever used boars head rare roast beef sliced thin? Or, Millers horseradish? ... you should be able to get both I would think if you have a Publix. The horseradish is over by the prepackaged cold cuts/sausage/ hot dog section. Plain white label with red wording.

A light warming in beef broth with whatever you want to add... for the beef... and  it is pretty right on. I like enough horseradish to where I could be eating a pigs !@#$ and it would taste... tasty.

I actually did this for a work Christmas party at my house one year. Not familiar with Millers horseradish, but had some good stuff! (Inglehoffer is what’s currently in the fridge, and it’s pretty good.) Had 2-3 dozen people and enjoyed telling my boss “if your eyes and nose aren’t running, you’re not doing it right.”  Went over pretty well!

If you want a pro at sliders, @Seasons1992 is your guy! 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's hard to get the rolls to be the same.  The water in the dough really matters and water isn't the same from place to place.  If you don't think it matters I don't know what to tell you, baking is chemistry and the stuff dissolved in the water matters.  The water in Florida isn't the same as the water in Philly.  There's a reason, for example, that they make bourbon in Kentucky.  It's the mineral content (or lack of iron specifically) in the water

I can get Wegmans to make a kimmelweck roll for me here in Philly, it's not the same.  It's close, but it's not the same.  You can get a hoagie roll anywhere, but they aren't exactly the same.

I can make a decent wing myself and Marie's is indeed good blue cheese but you don't get that everywhere.

I take this sort of approach with all regional specialties.  Sure you can get them other places.  Sometimes they are even pretty good, but they aren't quite the same when you take them out of their native area. You would think it'd be pretty easy to make a cheesesteak.  If that is the case why do so many people screw them up?  I've seen all sorts of abominations labeled as Philly cheesesteaks.  The roll is really important.  The cut of meat is really important.  The way you slice the meat to make it super thin matters.  The way you season the meat matters.  Hell, the type of cheese you use matters and there's not even agreement on that in Philly.

FWIW, the beef on weck you described is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's a facsimile.  Sure I can go get some Boar's Head roast beef and dunk it in broth.  Having a beef on weck made with lunchmeat isn't remotely the same thing as having a fresh carved sandwich from a properly cooked roast.  It's good enough in a pinch but it's not a replacement for the real thing.

Gotcha... I don't need perfection, just what tastes good. How do you feel about Wawa coffee? I love the stuff.

Just now, T&C said:

Gotcha... I don't need perfection, just what tastes good. How do you feel about Wawa coffee? I love the stuff.

Not a coffee drinker but my father-in-law ran the coffee program at Wawa for a long time.  I can tell you the coffee they are using now is lower quality than it was 10 years ago.  So is their lunchmeat.

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I actually did this for a work Christmas party at my house one year. Not familiar with Millers horseradish, but had some good stuff! (Inglehoffer is what’s currently in the fridge, and it’s pretty good.) Had 2-3 dozen people and enjoyed telling my boss “if your eyes and nose aren’t running, you’re not doing it right.”  Went over pretty well!

This is the one to look for, not in the condiment aisle... just ask anyone who works there, good stuff:

millers_horseradish_9.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

That one is really good too but not the same as the Millers. I have it in the fridge too... and yeah it'll make you cry, out of sheer joy of eating a sandwich. I use the ingles on sandwiches I would make for work that in no way resemble a beef on weck.

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

This is the one to look for, not in the condiment aisle... just ask anyone who works there, good stuff:

millers_horseradish_9.jpg

Bailo's made their own and sold the jars at the Broadway Market right next to Redlinski Meats...that was lethal. We buy Miller's,seems like the are the only local producer left. P.S.- I had a Sahlen's hotb sandwich with some webers early..on Al Cohen rye.   Igotchochickenwingritehea

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

That one is really good too but not the same as the Millers. I have it in the fridge too... and yeah it'll make you cry, out of sheer joy of eating a sandwich. I use the ingles on sandwiches I would make for work that in no way resemble a beef on weck.

You could use it to catch food thieves! My mother had her lunch stolen enough in high school that she made ex-lax brownies. A certain group of people didn't  make it through history class. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

You can almost replicate the perfect beef on weck, but I’ve never come close to the best, freshly carved stuff. Still, I’ve also had some LOUSY beef on weck in WNY, too. 

Charlie The Butcher isn't very good,imo. That little brick shack put the place on the map because it was the first eatery people saw when they landed at Prior Aviation.Charlie's all white meat locker attire,including his helmet is/was always a winner...just hang a left on cayuga,travel a few thousand yards down the road and Mister Bil's is right there on the corner of Cleveland Drive.That's where many Bills and Sabres crash for a few beers and sandwiches after a flight home...Rick Jeannette is a regular there (has a few pictures on the wall).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Charlie The Butcher isn't very good,imo. That little brick shack put the place on the map because it was the first eatery people saw when they landed at Prior Aviation.Charlie's all white meat locker attire,including his helmet is/was always a winner...just hang a left on cayuga,travel a few thousand yards down the road and Mister Bil's is right there on the corner of Cleveland Drive.That's where many Bills and Sabres crash for a few beers and sandwiches after a flight home...Rick Jeannette is a regular there (has a few pictures on the wall).

I’ll be hoping to check it out in just a couple weeks. I haven’t been back in almost a decade! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

You could use it to catch food thieves! My mother had her lunch stolen enough in high school that she made ex-lax brownies. A certain group of people didn't  make it through history class. 

Canned cat food sandwiches and one of your Moms brownies for the win.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You mean a dead palate?

:sick:

The term is 'refined'.  'Dead' is the day you see me eating the Limburger sammich...

35 years ago I had a foreman who enjoyed Limburger more for the reactions it drew from the crew in the area, as opposed to the taste.

I've had excellent wings outside the Buffalo area; The Bullpen in Glens Falls has phenomenal wings and the Garrison in Lake George's wings are also very, very good.  Both of these establishments, in my opinion, have wings that are superior to Anchor Bar.

I've never tried Duff's because I've heard enough bad reviews from people I know/trust to not bother.

The best wings I've ever had are from Bar Bill Tavern and the local eateries I listed above aren't even close.  I enjoy Bar Bill's wings once/year and I look forward to an order of those nearly as much as I look forward to going to the game.  

As far as the blue cheese vs. ranch debate .... my belief is that if the wing is decent, you won't want to dip it in anything but your mouth.  The blue cheese/ranch, to me (I always go blue cheese) is strictly for the celery (me no likee raw carrots).

If you do end up trying them one day, go to the original on Sheridan and millersport. The others are very inconsistent.

They are a little different from most places with the sauce. If you order hot expect a bowl of sauce. Med, med-hot has a reasonable amount of sauce.

A lot of people say they don't like duffs just because everyone likes them. I've given wings to people that hate duffs and told them they were from somewhere else and they would say it's one of the best they've had. Once I tell them it's from duffs the excuses fly. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I've had great wings in many places. I like Buffalo style, but prefer a dry rub & smoke combo. Finish it with a butter & garlic hot sauce and it's money. Blue cheese only, ranch is for the loonies. 

Wallenwein's is one of my favorites, pretty sure they just throw a wing into the frier with no seasoning, then dunk it in the butter/hot sauce mix. It's not rocket science. 

Beef on weck is also not rocket science, but I've had little success it finding it outside of WNY. Bar Bill is my undisputed #1 in the BoW category, but the conga line to get a seat is annoying, especially around the holidays. We prefer to get take out and head to ABW next door. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

35 years ago I had a foreman who enjoyed Limburger more for the reactions it drew from the crew in the area, as opposed to the taste.

In today's society that would be some form of triggering follwed by an EEO & OSHA complaint!  /smh...

2 hours ago, stony said:

Polish pate.  I love it with a little Webers.

Slightly warm...And a thin slice of onion with thick slice of liverwurst on a Kaiser roll (or w/mayo)!

Frey's natural casing was the best, IMO.  I wonder if they still make.  Gotta cut it thick, by hand or it would mush up in the slicer (first job was in a deli).

3 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I've had great wings in many places. I like Buffalo style, but prefer a dry rub & smoke combo. Finish it with a butter & garlic hot sauce and it's money. Blue cheese only, ranch is for the loonies. 

Wallenwein's is one of my favorites, pretty sure they just throw a wing into the frier with no seasoning, then dunk it in the butter/hot sauce mix. It's not rocket science. 

Beef on weck is also not rocket science, but I've had little success it finding it outside of WNY. Bar Bill is my undisputed #1 in the BoW category, but the conga line to get a seat is annoying, especially around the holidays. We prefer to get take out and head to ABW next door. 

You know what those dyed in the wool, snobby Buffalonian wings people would say to this!  ??

This is a Family Boards, I can't repeat it!

LoL ..

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I just took a look at Duffs menu (Dick Rd. location, last one I was at). I always liked their wings, never a problem really. But... $10.29 for a 6oz cheeseburger with a bag of chips? Holy !@#$.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52ddad0ae4b01d8ef4e51a2e/t/5964d54eccf2100d17e3fed0/1499780432869/Depew_DineIn_July2017_reduced.pdf

Cooking a good chicken wing is not some dark art only known in Buffalo!  Anyone who is aware of the traditional method of preparation can make them anywhere....or do something different and interesting and maybe even end up with something better.

I don't know.  I haven't eaten a chicken wing in a decade or 2.  They're kind of gross and I think they are 10,000 calories and 10,000 grams of fat per wing anyway.

I don't really like "pub food" and if I did order some, it wouldn't be wings.

Edited by Fadingpain

31 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I like my wings crispy and juicy covered in Boss Sauce 

Come on Man!  This is a Family Board!  If I as a real hard-azz... I'd report you!

??

35 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Cooking a good chicken wing is not some dark art only known in Buffalo!  Anyone who is aware of the traditional method of preparation can make them anywhere....or do something different and interesting and maybe even end up with something better.

I don't know.  I haven't eaten a chicken wing in a decade or 2.  They're kind of gross and I think they are 10,000 calories and 10,000 grams of fat per wing anyway.

I don't really like "pub food" and if I did order some, it wouldn't be wings.

Heretic!

908b5139249b58eb9cfe54abb7f18b42.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Cooking a good chicken wing is not some dark art only known in Buffalo!  

I was disappointed with the Wing Festival in Buffalo when I attended a few years back mainly because they did not allow the individual concessionaires to cook their own wings, which to me is a huge part of what makes a great wing.  In retrospect it makes sense, having dozens of vendors out on the ball field each with their own big deep fryers is going to be inviting disaster.  But when they came by with the trays of wings from the main cooking area, each place would proceed to pour a pitcher of their sauce all over the wings, thus killing any hope for crispiness.  By the time it got to us, the skin was flabby and rubbery and unpleasant (and really difficult to eat while standing).  So for us it was more a 'wing sauce' festival rather than a wing festival.  Also the wings were advertised everywhere as 'jumbo' to justify the cost which I didn't appreciate because they were certainly no bigger than regular wings.  So although I love the idea (and the cool t-shirt which I get asked about all the time) we decided we won't be back.  

22 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I was disappointed with the Wing Festival in Buffalo when I attended a few years back mainly because they did not allow the individual concessionaires to cook their own wings, which to me is a huge part of what makes a great wing.  In retrospect it makes sense, having dozens of vendors out on the ball field each with their own big deep fryers is going to be inviting disaster.  But when they came by with the trays of wings from the main cooking area, each place would proceed to pour a pitcher of their sauce all over the wings, thus killing any hope for crispiness.  By the time it got to us, the skin was flabby and rubbery and unpleasant (and really difficult to eat while standing).  So for us it was more a 'wing sauce' festival rather than a wing festival.  Also the wings were advertised everywhere as 'jumbo' to justify the cost which I didn't appreciate because they were certainly no bigger than regular wings.  So although I love the idea (and the cool t-shirt which I get asked about all the time) we decided we won't be back.  

...and there likes the "problem" with traditional Buffalo style. Soggy skin! 

If you want to douse it in sauce, it needs a little time on the grill to set so it's not a sloppy mess. 

I use a tomato based hot sauce, thinned with a bit of water, when the wings are 90% done. Brush it on, cook for 10-15 minutes, and you're golden! 

Never had wings in Buffalo from any of the local places, so I guess I have no basis for comparison other than my own.  most places where I live fry them fine, but then they sauce them right away, instead of letting the steam rise off of them and the sauce traps that which makes the skin soggy.     It takes someone who knows wings to double fry them and then let them sit in the fry basket for a few minutes and let them air out before saucing.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

...and there likes the "problem" with traditional Buffalo style. Soggy skin! 

If you want to douse it in sauce, it needs a little time on the grill to set so it's not a sloppy mess. 

I use a tomato based hot sauce, thinned with a bit of water, when the wings are 90% done. Brush it on, cook for 10-15 minutes, and you're golden! 

My father owned and operated a pizzeria in Buffalo for 30 years and I can assure you if you fry them long enough no chicken wing should be soggy... if its that much a pet peeve you ask them for extra crispy and they will leave them in the fryer longer 

and actually throwing them on the grill makes them a little soggier, than straight out the fryer, but not as messy

• Like (+1) 1

Haven’t read all of the responses on this thread but from the ones I saw they seem to be split between those who say you can find good wings outside of WNY and those who say you can’t.  As someone who is not from WNY I have tried Duffs and AB in my visits to Buffalo and I didn’t think they were any better than anywhere else.  I know if I said that to my Bills Backers group they’d kick me out but that’s just my take.  If you are ever in  Maryland (as some of you might be this weekend for Bills/Ravens) try to find a place that has old bay wings.  They are to die for.

4 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Haven’t read all of the responses on this thread but from the ones I saw they seem to be split between those who say you can find good wings outside of WNY and those who say you can’t.  As someone who is not from WNY I have tried Duffs and AB in my visits to Buffalo and I didn’t think they were any better than anywhere else.  I know if I said that to my Bills Backers group they’d kick me out but that’s just my take.  If you are ever in  Maryland (as some of you might be this weekend for Bills/Ravens) try to find a place that has old bay wings.  They are to die for.

Those are more tourist traps

you need to go to mom and pop pizzerias or bar bills 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My father owned and operated a pizzeria in Buffalo for 30 years and I can assure you if you fry them long enough no chicken wing should be soggy... if its that much a pet peeve you ask them for extra crispy and they will leave them in the fryer longer 

and actually throwing them on the grill makes them a little soggier, than straight out the fryer, but not as messy

I'm not referring to fry time, I'm referring to when you sauce the wings afterwards. They can get soft pretty quickly. 

This is all nitpicking. I'll take a quality batch of Buffalo wings anytime, but overall, dry rub -> smoker -> finish with sauce is my #1. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I'm not referring to fry time, I'm referring to when you sauce the wings afterwards. They can get soft pretty quickly. 

This is all nitpicking. I'll take a quality batch of Buffalo wings anytime, but overall, dry rub -> smoker -> finish with sauce is my #1. 

I agree a super saucy soggy wing is my least favorite