Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The only flaws in non-Buffalo wings is a) ranch dressing and b) they cook them too fast. A proper Buffalo wing is fried at a lower temperature so the wing tenderizes. When you get rubbery wings, it's because they cooked them on high as fast as possible.

Back in my day (late 70's) all wings were small. You could eat 20 or 30 no problem and they were tender. Now it seems they use ostrich wings. If you don't cook them right they are rubbery.

Incorrect.  Most issues with deep frying are due to oil temp being too low as batch after batch gets dropped in the fryer without proper time for temps to rebound.  Burnt skin and raw inside would be the tell tale sign for too hot, too fast.  Rubbery skin is usually due to frying too low, not long enough, and wet chicken to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife got an air fryer and insists on using it for sweet potato fries and the like. They suck. It’s as useful as her bread maker, seeing as she’s “gluten free” (selectively). I’m allowed, encouraged even, to make trips to Goodwill to drop crap off, but these two are off limits. 

Maybe someone else has had better success? 

Aug,please don't take this the wrong way but would you please consider donating your items to the Veterans? They will even come to your home for a pick-up...Goodwill is a business and it's not a non profit..Peace to you.

58 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Incorrect.  Most issues with deep frying are due to oil temp being too low as batch after batch gets dropped in the fryer without proper time for temps to rebound.  Burnt skin and raw inside would be the tell tale sign for too hot, too fast.  Rubbery skin is usually due to frying too low, not long enough, and wet chicken to begin with.

we fry them twice. put them in for about 7-8 minutes with the oil at 350. pull them out and put on paper towels. let the oil come back up to temp, then drop them in again, this time for 4-5 minutes. they are perfectly cooked and crispy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

This is 100% true. The best wing places have dedicated wing-only fryers so that you're not dropping other items into them and potentially cooling them off.

2 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

we fry them twice. put them in for about 7-8 minutes with the oil at 350. pull them out and put on paper towels. let the oil come back up to temp, then drop them in again, this time for 4-5 minutes. they are perfectly cooked and crispy.

I've heard that this is truly the way to make them. Never done it, however.

Wow!  I betcha the Lady @ Anchor Bar used "a dedicated wing fryer" when she invented those buggers for Her Son & His late night reveler friends!

Like anything else, it's amazing how things change and devolve into overkill.

K-eep

I-it

S-imple

S-tupid

Is a lost concept!!!

Of course... That doesn't mean I don't believe they don't belong in dedicated oil. LoL...

On 9/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just as good in other places and I was born in BFLo... Don't get it.  Wings are highly subjective BAR food.  

I agree with this.  The proper way to go about cooking a chicken wing is not some mysterious trade secret and it's not very complicated. 

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Aug,please don't take this the wrong way but would you please consider donating your items to the Veterans? They will even come to your home for a pick-up...Goodwill is a business and it's not a non profit..Peace to you.

How does this work exactly. I only go to Goodwill because it’s extremely convenient, and it’s easy. I prefer dropping stuff off that’s small enough for me to transport, but to have larger items picked up would be helpful, too. Is there a specific name of an organization to search for? I’m open to better ways to do things, but need some direction. 

But again, the bread maker will NOT be on the list, despite my ideas to better use that space. 

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree with this.  The proper way to go about cooking a chicken wing is not some mysterious trade secret and it's not very complicated. 

Totally agree, which makes it even more baffling how many places find different ways to screw them up.  There's a bar here in Golden that makes pretty simple but okay wings - but they don't bother to butcher and separate the drum and the flat or even the wing tip!  So you get this big awkward pile of connected chicken bones that you immediately have to start cracking and twisting to separate like a lobster or something. 

On the positive side, we have the Shawing food truck here in the Denver metro area, and Chris does a great job of making consistently great wings plus a lot of other WNY specialties and he offers discounts for Buffalo fans - so heads up to all the Colorado Bills Backers here to hunt down his orange truck at some of the best brewpubs in town (shawingtruck.com) 

On 9/5/2018 at 11:49 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Most of them suck here in Canada

None compare to Buffalo.

Having said that, we do have a few Duff's so I can always go there but the rest are pretty crappy so I just end up making my own which my wife says are just as good

Got wings in Canada a couple times. They were boiled. It was gross. 

• Sad 1

I make some fantastic grilled wings with the following recipe... it takes some pre-prep time but they are delicious.

Night before:

Pre cut the wings and place on a wire rack, pat dry with paper towel(s) and place uncovered overnight in the fridge.  This drys out the skin to help it get that crispy effect when grilled later.  Let dry in fridge for at least 12 hours.

At least 1 hour before planning to serve: pre-heat oven to 400f.  Place wings in oven and bake for 35 minutes.  Make sure you place something under the rack to catch drippings.

Remove from oven and let cool.  

About 15-20 minutes before you are ready to eat, pre-heat your grill to 350-400f.  Place wings and a generous amount of Franks Red Hot Wing sauce in a bag and shake.  Open bag and add a generous amount of Old Bay Seasoning and shake some more.  Dump the wings on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes per side or until browned and nice grill tracks on both sides.

Remove from grill and rest for 5 minutes.

Serve with celery stalks and BLUE CHEESE dressing.

BTW... with the pre-prep, these make great tail gating wings because the actual grilling time is very short... just bake in the morning of the tailgate.

Well... 

i really wanted chicken wings...

so I went to this local place 

i couldn’t wait to get them home and got pulled over for speeding... going 48 in a 30 village of Depew 

then the officer accused me of having weed in my car! And searched my vehicle for 20+ minutes! 

The audacity! I told him 38 times I smoke my weed at home not in the car! ? 

when I told him that I couldn’t wait to get my wings home that it was the reason for the speeding.. he let me off with a warning ?

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well... 

i really wanted chicken wings...

so I went to this local place 

i couldn’t wait to get them home and got pulled over for speeding... going 48 in a 30 village of Depew 

then the officer accused me of having weed in my car! And searched my vehicle for 20+ minutes! 

The audacity! I told him 38 times I smoke my weed at home not in the car! ? 

when I told him that I couldn’t wait to get my wings home that it was the reason for the speeding.. he let me off with a warning ?

Gotta love Buffalo! Where were the wings from?

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Never had em before, will have to give them a try sometime

I never had them before either. I wanted to try someone different and they had great reviews 

the officer did assure me that they were fantastic after making me wait 25 minutes lol

they were breaded which I didn’t know beforehand but they were cooked very well and their house BBQ sauce was fantastic 

3 minutes ago, Dante said:

Had Bar Bill wings TWICE this weekend. Saturday and Sunday night. That good!

That’s a bit of a drive for wings for me but I need to get there more often 

• Like (+1) 1

Contrary to what some Buffalo snobs think cooking chicken wings was not invented in Buffalo just the sauce at Anchor Bar.

Chinese have been making dishes with Chicken Wings for hundreds of years.  My wife got a 40# box of chicken wings at Restaurant Depot and a damn low price and cooks them at home using various Chinese styles.   And I do not eat them with ranch sauce.

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 PM, Soda Popinski said:

Never had wings in Buffalo from any of the local places, so I guess I have no basis for comparison other than my own.  most places where I live fry them fine, but then they sauce them right away, instead of letting the steam rise off of them and the sauce traps that which makes the skin soggy.     It takes someone who knows wings to double fry them and then let them sit in the fry basket for a few minutes and let them air out before saucing.   

This is what I'm interested in.  My frying technique is on point but I've noticed that timing of saucing, temperature of the wings and the sauce when saucing, and viscosity of the sauce all play a role in the outcome.  There is little discussion of these variables on the internet. 

Anyone have any insight?

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is what I'm interested in.  My frying technique is on point but I've noticed that timing of saucing, temperature of the wings and the sauce when saucing, and viscosity of the sauce all play a role in the outcome.  There is little discussion of these variables on the internet. 

Anyone have any insight?

@plenzmd1 has a nephew who might know.....I free load and find the results to be exceptional! I’d gladly pay cash, but the ultimate  Wing Master Artist prefers less money if paid like a millennial. I think it makes him feel younger. 

It’s an awesome experience! I’m curious about the details that may come out here. 

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have any insight?

I've always tossed mine in room-temperature sauce shortly after (within 2-3 min) after taking them out of the fryer.  I've never thought to do it any differently, but now you've got me scouring the Internet.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

@plenzmd1 has a nephew who might know.....I free load and find the results to be exceptional! I’d gladly pay cash, but the ultimate  Wing Master Artist prefers less money if paid like a millennial. I think it makes him feel younger. 

It’s an awesome experience! I’m curious about the details that may come out here. 

Eating wings at 5:00PM after starting drinking at 8 am is the key to great wings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have any insight?

Don’t overthink it. Fryem up, toss in a bowl that contains some sauce and all done. 

If you are ever in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, check out The Dirty Buffalo. Owner is a Western New Yorker and a Bills fan who graduated from Old Dominion, stayed in the area, and open up a wing joint in Norfolk. Has since expanded to Virginia Beach. Also on the menu is Beef on Weck and his versions of the garbage plate.

https://thedirtybuffalo.com/

Oh and bleu cheese is frickin' nasty stuff. If not putting that on my wings makes me a heathen, so be it!  :P

• Thank you (+1) 1