Aaron Donald get extension, 6-year $135mm

Watkins90

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Gonna be interesting when it’s goffs turn

Cap keeps going up and they will not being paying Suh, Talib and Whitford then. That's ~$35 million right there. 

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

No DT is worth that 

He produces better numbers than most defensive ends and outside linebackers. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

That prices us out of Mack.  22.5m per year is madness for a DT.  He will never live up to those numbers. With 40m guaranteed he takes a step back this year and by next year people wonder why LA spent so much on him. 

If he’s in the def player of the year convo he is

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

That prices us out of Mack.  22.5m per year is madness for a DT.  He will never live up to those numbers. With 40m guaranteed he takes a step back this year and by next year people wonder why LA spent so much on him. 

No it doesn’t. It may price others out but not a team with a QB on a rookie deal and no high priced players!! The Packers may be out at that level. This is good news for the Bills pursuit of Mack.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

No it doesn’t. It may price others out but not a team with a QB on a rookie deal and no high priced players!! The Packers may be out at that level. This is good news for the Bills pursuit of Mack.

It’s true.  There was always a limited market for Mack, due to his age and salary demands.  This narrows it further, and lowers the compensation that the Raiders can command.

• Like (+1) 2

Donald is the most dominant defensive force in this league. Regardless of his position, he deserves that contract. At the rate he’s going, he’ll be in the conversation for top-5 all time best defenders in history when his career is over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He produces better numbers than most defensive ends and outside linebackers. 

I wouldn't even pay that money to a defensive end or LB, only to a QB. I know my opinion may be an unpopular one but I've seen these deals blow up way too often. They'll get three years out of him and then he'll be a cap casualty.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Correct.  The Jets are another real possibility.  What you are paying for is a player that the offense has to account for and scheme around on every single play - something we haven't really had here since #78 retired.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct.  The Jets are another real possibility.  What you are paying for is a player that the offense has to account for and scheme around on every single play - something we haven't really had here since #78 retired.

I think that the Bills and Jets are the favorites now. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I wouldn't even pay that money to a defensive end or LB, only to a QB. I know my opinion may be an unpopular one but I've seen these deals blow up way too often. They'll get three years out of him and then he'll be a cap casualty.

Goff will no doubt get paid in a couple of years.  So Goff and Donald will be their core pieces on offense and defense, respectively.  Suh is only there for the next year or two, then will be gone, after the Rams make their short-term SB push.  We'll see what happens after that in the longer term.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Goff will no doubt get paid in a couple of years.  So Goff and Donald will be their core pieces on offense and defense, respectively.  Suh is only there for the next year or two, then will be gone, after the Rams make their short-term SB push.  We'll see what happens after that in the longer term.

Suh, Dareus, Mo, Sheldon Richardson, Haynesworth and so on so forth. Can't think of too many times that paying a DT 100 million has worked out too well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Then you're not going to be keeping an elite pass rusher around, because going forward, the market has dictated that it's $20m+ to get the conversation started. 

Donald has HOF traits, production and will be in the prime of his career for many years. You don't walk away from that because he's expensive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Then you're not going to be keeping an elite pass rusher around, because going forward, the market has dictated that it's $20m+ to get the conversation started. 

I'd go 20 million + for a JJ Watt level defensive end but not a DT. Defensive end yes, a guy like Mack? Yes. Aaron Donald, no. I've seen too many DTs get soft after getting paid.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd go 20 million + for a JJ Watt level defensive end but not a DT. Defensive end yes, a guy like Mack? Yes. Aaron Donald, no. I've seen too many DTs get soft after getting paid.

Watt is an anomaly. He plays 34 DE, can move across the line as he sees fit (thanks Wade Philips!)  and can still crank out 18+ sacks. Insane. Donald has taken his throne (maybe temporarily) as the best defensive linemen in the game. 

Smart teams should pay the individual, based his character and production.  The failure of other players and teams shouldn't be a factor. 

If Donald has a history of sulking and injuries, maybe you second guess it, but that has never been the narrative with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was really hoping we'd pick him in 2014.  Incredible talent.

13th pick.  The Factory of Pain chose Justin Gilbert at 8.

Watt was pick 11 in 2011, which was also insane.  Gabbert and Locker went ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Watt is an anomaly. He plays 34 DE, can move across the line as he sees fit (thanks Wade Philips!)  and can still crank out 18+ sacks. Insane. Donald has taken his throne (maybe temporarily) as the best defensive linemen in the game. 

Smart teams should pay the individual, based his character and production.  The failure of other players and teams shouldn't be a factor. 

If Donald has a history of sulking and injuries, maybe you second guess it, but that has never been the narrative with him. 

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. Not my money to spend, not my place to decide. I just don't think any DT is worth 135 million. Can add 3 solid DTs with that money, and if Donald goes soft like the lengthy list of DTs before him, LA will be in cap hell for a long long long time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

harder and harder to fill a roster with these deals, QB, WR, DT, DE crazy. If I was a GM i would trade down as often as possible and stock pile picks....you need cheap labor!

....exactly the way I think McBeane will approach "the build"...even with $85+ mil in the cookie jar for 2019, just don't see him as the "big splash type (prolly wrong)"...

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I love that his neck is bigger than his head.

...LOL....nobody's neck came close to Ashton Youboty......could play horseshoes 'round that bad boy........ringer every time....

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I think the fact that A. Donald shows no signs of "going soft" ever makes this a solid investment.  

38 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

harder and harder to fill a roster with these deals, QB, WR, DT, DE crazy. If I was a GM i would trade down as often as possible and stock pile picks....you need cheap labor!

Well, we are talking about elite deals. Rodgers, OBJ and Donald are each at different points in their career, but all three have HOF traits and production. 

In 4 years, they'll each be bargains. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Well earned as one of the best and most impactful players in the game.

...still LESS than Goodell.......BUT...then again, The Commish gets paid for THREE jobs as in "judge, jury & executioner" so we're good...............

• Haha (+1) 1