Should we Believe it when the National Media says the Bills will be the Worst in 2018.

mykidsdad

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't really follow other teams as much as I'd like. So, the question that crosses my mind is: Who's worse?

In the Pre-Season, since we're wigging out about that and ascribing attributes to our team based on it: Falcons, Eagles, and Cowboys are all winless and have looked terrible while doing it.

If I were to predict, I'd say the Browns, Dolphins, Jets, 49ers (Garoppollo-haze likely to revert a bit to mean), Bears, Broncos, Redskins and Seahawks could all be pretty bad (or could surprise).

Then there's always wild-card disasters. Cowboys could really go south fast, especially if anything happened to Zeke. Texans strike me as very overrated for a team who couldn't buy a win last year and were under .500 even when Watson was putting up unworldly rookie numbers. Ravens pre-season rings false to me, and would not be surprised if we're the upset special of Week 1. Mahomes has been crowned an all-star before even throwing one touchdown in the league, and the Chiefs lucked into the playoffs even more than we did. Jags should take the next step to perennial SB contenders, but often upcoming teams implode (look at last year's Raiders). Titans have the framework of a wreck. Finally, the Rams are so packed with new players that it almost seems like a Hubris the football gods will smack down.

33 minutes ago, teef said:

do you remember him from the previous board?  he's the type of poster that loves misery.  if the bills are doing well, he'll be nowhere to be found.  the moment there's a hiccup, he's hovering like a vulture.  have you seen him post much at all over the last few months?  all of the sudden, one bad preseason game happens, and he's like flies on ****.  why some people operate this way, i'll never know.  

am i wrong or didn't something similar happen last year?  i may be making this up, but i remember thinking this team could win 8 games until a bad preseason outing.  it made me nervous and i dropped the prediction down to 6.  not saying this year will mimic the success of last year, but i think there was a preseason stinker in there in 2017.

Fairly certain it did happen last year as well. I had a buddy texting me the other day after the game about how the season was a wash and all I told him was “we literally had this same exact talk last year and I had to talk you down off the ledge. And didn’t you look silly?” 

Ill admit that game swayed my gut feeling a bit but I just kept repeating under my breath “just preseason. It’s just preseason. It’s just preseason” ..... over and over and over again. 

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Fairly certain it did happen last year as well. I had a buddy texting me the other day after the game about how the season was a wash and all I told him was “we literally had this same exact talk last year and I had to talk you down off the ledge. And didn’t you look silly?” 

Ill admit that game swayed my gut feeling a bit but I just kept repeating under my breath “just preseason. It’s just preseason. It’s just preseason” ..... over and over and over again. 

it may have even been the third game as well.  the team looked fairly competent in the first two games, so I don't know if the third was that much of an outlier.  this last game is practically useless to determine anything, (as i guess all of preseason is).  if they come out against the ravens like the did in cincy, i'd expect a long year.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I thought we were just talking about teams worse than the Bills.

Of that list above I don't think any of those teams(except maybe the Dolphins or Broncos) will be worse than the Bills. Not even the Browns.

What criteria are you using? Would you have said the same thing last year at this time (check the comments)? How exactly are the Bears, unit-by-unit, better than the Bills? I can't help but suspect that it's the whole reverse of the George Carlin concept ("our stuff is s&*(, their s&*( is stuff").

I think you're missing my point: we really don't know who's better or worse.

Why does it bother me? We do this every bleeping year and so many on this board are dismissive if you say one thing positive, or that we may not be one of the worst teams in football, yet we're over .500 for the last four years. Last year, we have the same wailing and gnashing of teeth, yet went to the playoffs...and still this year it's lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat...I'm just suggesting maybe we won't be one of the worst, like I have most years -- and other than the time we started 0-8, I've been right with this very low-risk bet.

Edited by thurst44

We will have some growing pains this year for sure... I could see us coming out cold and getting better as the year goes on.. Hopefully finishing strong, but it all rests on the OL debacle IMO... 

Hopefully we get lucky and grab a FA OG or 2 that have a some gas left it he tank... At t his point my only real concern in our interior OL, that would destroy everything if it is bad as it has looked

Edited by ddaryl

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

We will have some growing pains this year for sure... I could see us coming out cold and getting better as the year goes on.. Hopefully finishing strong... 

Hopefully we get lucky and grab a FA OG or 2 that have a some gas left it he tank... At t his point my only real concern in our interior OL, that could destroy everything if it is bad as it has looked

If I had to guess, we'll start 2-6 and finish 6-2 or 5-3 or maybe even 7-1...not great, not worst...but who knows. I'm not ruling out 1-15, but this team has a lot of potential and the only hopeless seeming part is offensive line.

Just now, thurst44 said:

If I had to guess, we'll start 2-6 and finish 6-2 or 5-3 or maybe even 7-1...not great, not worst...but who knows. I'm not ruling out 1-15, but this team has a lot of potential and the only hopeless seeming part is offensive line.

like I said the OL could destroy it all.. that's my real only worry. I think everything else on the team will do well .. Of course there is room for improvements in multiple areas outside of OL but the OL is scary bad right now

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

like I said the OL could destroy it all.. that's my real only worry. I think everything else on the team will do well .. Of course there is room for improvements in multiple areas outside of OL but the OL is scary bad right now

Yes, the offensive line is terrible, and even I'm not going to try to sugar-coat that one ;). However, last year the o-line would look otherworldly a few weeks, then like amateur turnstiles for the next few weeks. Hopefully, they can find a rhythm or overcome it. While we tend to get fixated on our own problems, there are some terrible o-lines on other teams as well. I'm in the NYC area and the Jets and Giants both have major issues there (Giants may have fixed theirs, but only one way to see). 

Seahawks has the absolute worst roster in the league. If they didnt have Russell Wilson, they would be strong favorites for the number one pick.

Cleveland coaching staff is awful and I could see them losing games they shouldn't (see 1-31) Even the game they won was because the Chargers kicked missed a FG!

Oakland is going to struggle despite Spider 2 Y Banana being called every other play.

Also think Jacksonville is going to struggle this year. Top receiver injured, probably overachieved last year and they still have Blake Bortles "throwing" passes

Tampa Bay will also suck. Dirk Koetter is an awful coach and that roster is not strong.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

It’s amazing how much one stinker of a preseason game changed peoples’ perspectives on this team-like a bucket of cold water to the face.  Have to admit, I’m one of them.

Me too. I was thinking before that we probably don't make the playoffs but we are around .500.  That OL was so freaking bad though. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure how this qualifies him as a good coach though. The same issues linger from Rex. I just really hope we don't get a Mularkey type slip into the second season. He only got two years with a 9-7 and then only 5 wins. 

Your posts in this thread are wrought with mistaken perceptions, including that most Bills’ fans are totally enamored with McBeane  and don’t attribute last year’s Playoff berth to a litany of things, some of which highly likely won’t be repeating themselves. 

And you’re objectively wrong about Mularkey’s exit since he was given the option to stay by Levy- he just didn’t feel comfortable remaining with Donahue leaving.

Edited by Midwest1981

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We do what every year? I never thought the Bills were the worst team in the league the past few years at all.(Although last year I thought they'd have a top 7 pick at least and they surprised thanks to Tyrod and the opportunistic defense) 

I've mostly thought they'd be around .500 the last 5 or so years and that they would be a good team in 2015. 

Same. My pre-season predictions since 2012 by year:

2012 - Predicted: 9-7; Finished: 6-10

2013 - Predicted: 7-9; Finished: 6-10

2014 - Predicted: 8-8; Finished: 9-7

2015 - Predicted: 10-6; Finished: 8-8

2016 - Predicted: 7-9; Finished: 7-9

2017 - Predicted: 8-8; Finished: 9-7

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

Yes, the offensive line is terrible, and even I'm not going to try to sugar-coat that one ;). However, last year the o-line would look otherworldly a few weeks, then like amateur turnstiles for the next few weeks. Hopefully, they can find a rhythm or overcome it. While we tend to get fixated on our own problems, there are some terrible o-lines on other teams as well. I'm in the NYC area and the Jets and Giants both have major issues there (Giants may have fixed theirs, but only one way to see). 

Tyrod with Woods Incognito in the middle.. That's a huge change moving to pure pocket passers. Tyrod's ability to make defenders miss was a big part of our limited success last year. If our Offense is going 3 and out or stalling drives regularly and losing field position our defense will be torched at the end of games

As for the Jets and Giants etc...  can't say I follow their situation but I just can not imagine they are looking as bad as ours have. I don't think I have ever witnessed an OL this bad and in Buffalo we have seen our share of poor OL play

Our salvation IMO is

1. Peterman's ability to get the ball out quickly and hoping Allen's ability in the same area get much better by mid season where he can take over from there
  2. Some last minute FA OG additions that make the difference

I do agree we could get better as the year goes on but the 1st few weeks / half of season,  might be real real bad. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bears being worse wouldn't surprise me.

We do what every year? I never thought the Bills were the worst team in the league the past few years at all.(Although last year I thought they'd have a top 7 pick at least and they surprised thanks to Tyrod and the opportunistic defense) 

I've mostly thought they'd be around .500 the last 5 or so years and that they would be a good team in 2015. 

Looking at the talent level, I think they will be bad. Top 7 pick bad mostly due to being worse at QB and offensive line. They have progressively got worse on paper the last couple years, but I was wrong last year and I could be again. 

Where's the potential on offense?(Besides Allen and who knows how long it takes him to adjust to the NFL game.)

Kelvin Benjamin has been making some great catches. As no-name as the rest of the wide receivers are, there's going to be a heck of a battle to make the team, and Jones has shown moments of being better (although Coleman may have underwhelmed and hard knocked his chances while barely here). I actually like the tight end unit (even Clay). In the first game, the offense looked a lot more well-oiled than the third. The o-line...yeah, again, got nothing -- except that fortunes change sharply and suddenly in this league.

Last year the defense kept us in a lot of games and this one portends to be even better once the live bullets fly, especially if Edmunds keeps progressing, Tre doesn't regress, and they can generate some sort of pass rush in the real games.

I do think I sort of remember you being generally "positive" before last season, but most weren't...it was pretty much the same hue and cry, perhaps not as centralized because Game 3 wasn't such a trainwreck. 

I'm not saying this team might not be "Top 7" bad...there's a definite chance of that. It's just not the given a lot of people here and in the national press are implying.  

Even with a better roster without clear, glaring weaknesses at critical spots like along 4/5th’s of the offensive line, WR, and QB (until/unless Allen ascends) the Bills wouldn’t likely thrive this year against a schedule that’s empirically the toughest in the first-half of the league: 5 of our first 7 on the road, home game #3 is in primetime against the Pats, and every opponent in the first-half has either highly realistic Playoff- if not championship- aspirations except for the Colts, who get back Luck.

This year isn’t fundamentally about our record, IMO. It’s about Allen showing development and demonstrating genuine promise. With a top-5 pick (and top-37 pick... and top-70 pick, two 4th’s, etc.) this spring, plus $80 million in cap space (with the ability for that to approach $95 million with some releases like then 31-year old McCoy and Hughes) 2019 will be a more litmus test for where we are as a franchise.

2 hours ago, The Process said:

I see what you did there.

I believe the media as much as I believed Bill Clinton....when he sternly looked into the camera and said "I did not have sex with that woman.....". 

I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Tyrod with Woods Incognito in the middle.. That's a huge change moving to pure pocket passers. Tyrod's ability to make defenders miss was a big part of our limited success last year. If our Offense is going 3 and out or stalling drives regularly and losing field position our defense will be torched at the end of games

As for the Jets and Giants etc...  can't say I follow their situation but I just can not imagine they are looking as bad as ours have. I don't think I have ever witnessed an OL this bad and in Buffalo we have seen our share of poor OL play

Our salvation IMO is

1. Peterman's ability to get the ball out quickly and hoping Allen's ability in the same area get much better by mid season where he can take over from there
  2. Some last minute FA OG additions that make the difference

I do agree we could get better as the year goes on but the 1st few weeks / half of season,  might be real real bad. 

Any unit at its worst looks really bad and I suspect we have all said the same at past times (this one feels more pronounced with the insane way Wood and Incognito got hurt and went bonkers respectively). And look up high first rounder Ereck Flowers and watch some of his games. There have been worse offensive lines, especially in pre-season, in other games. That being said, no, we can't win much if they play like last Sunday. Also, wasn't the reason Tyrod was practically ran out of town his propensity for 3 & outs? I loved Tyrod, but it's funny how now people seem a bit misty for him. But, yeah, o-lines are hard to solve. Of first round linemen, there are more Luke Joeckels than Joe Thomases, and we're pining after Joeckel right now. 

On other thing that could make a difference: our best lineman didn't play last week. Admittedly, most of our problems stemmed from the interior. Sigh, we'll see how they do next weekend. 

We're also forgetting, Allen is pretty elusive -- obviously not Tyrod elusive (he's up in the Cam-osphere in that regard) -- but it's why I'm for him to start. Despite Sunday's debacle, he's still the QB who can do the most damage with his legs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We are never as bad as people predict but watching Sunday it's hard not to think that.

I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy this time of year but it sure look half empty on the OL side for me.. 

fingers crossed

6 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

Even with a better roster without clear, glaring weaknesses at critical spots like along 4/5th’s of the offensive line, WR, and QB (until/unless Allen ascends) the Bills wouldn’t likely thrive this year against a schedule that’s empirically the toughest in the first-half of the league: 5 of our first 7 on the road, home game #3 is in primetime against the Pats, and every opponent in the first-half has either highly realistic Playoff- if not championship- aspirations except for the Colts, who get back Luck.

This year isn’t fundamentally about our record, IMO. It’s about Allen showing development and demonstrating genuine promise. With a top-5 pick (and top-37 pick... and top-70 pick, two 4th’s, etc.) this spring, plus $80 million in cap space (with the ability for that to approach $95 million with some releases like then 31-year old McCoy and Hughes) 2019 will be a more litmus test for where we are as a franchise.

I actually agree with most of this, but have to take a little issue with the "empirically" toughest schedule part. The road/home balance is indeed impossible to argue. However, tough schedules are otherwise impossible to gauge. If we're inclined to expect the worst, we think teams who were good will stay good, teams who underperformed will rebound, and every team on-the-rise will rise, even the friggin' Browns this year, apparently. It's just one of those things fans say EVERY year, turns out to be untrue most years, then fans say it again as if it hadn't been unproven the year before. That being said, you may be right this time ;). 

Let's look at last year. We beat the Jets, but they are just the Jets, so that proves nothing (then the Jets start strong for the rest of the first half). Then we lose to the Panthers, and they looked terrible week 1, so maybe we are who we thought we are, and now we play two heralded undefeated teams who we have no chance against, including the defending NFC Champions. We win both games, so that's impressive. As it turns out, the Broncos would not win another game for a couple months and the Falcons went on their own slide. Ok, so we have the mediocre Bengals next, but on the road (ok, that plays out as expected -- but no one would then expect that moribund team would later knock off a hot playoff contender to let us end our playoff drought). We don't know the true nature of the schedule until it plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Process said:

I believe the media as much as I believed Bill Clinton....when he sternly looked into the camera and said "I did not have sex with that woman.....". 

Are you sure about that? IIRC he had sex with her dress.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't really follow other teams as much as I'd like. So, the question that crosses my mind is: Who's worse?

I still think the Browns are a hot mess- Hue, Greggo, and Todd scream power struggle, chaos, and toxicity!

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same. My pre-season predictions since 2012 by year:

2012 - Predicted: 9-7; Finished: 6-10

2013 - Predicted: 7-9; Finished: 6-10

2014 - Predicted: 8-8; Finished: 9-7

2015 - Predicted: 10-6; Finished: 8-8

2016 - Predicted: 7-9; Finished: 7-9

2017 - Predicted: 8-8; Finished: 9-7

Not too shabby !

3 hours ago, The Process said:

And I believe Bleacher Report has more credibility than anything that steamy pile of orange excrement squatting in the White House says. If you want to play "Which president is the biggest liar" you shouldn't let your red side show by going to the Clinton card, that's a weak deflection from the current state of deception, lying, and treachery we're currently staying with. But then again, with an avatar of one of the least educated state in America, I expect such normative nonsense. And yes, Clinton lied. They all do. 

46 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Didn’t read the article but based off the thread title...

yes it it is possible we could be the worst. If our D doesn’t get better in the regular season it will be close. 

it's hard to be the worst if you are honestly trying

the Bills are trying

maybe that makes it all worse though

14 minutes ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

jets, dolphins, colts, broncos, raiders, Washington, bucs, bears, seahawks, cards,

it's been such a free ride of suck having the Jets and Fish not doing much either for 2 decades

I’m a fan of moving predictions. You make your initial prediction and then carefully and constantly revise it as new information comes in. As of today the Bills 2018 season looks pretty bleak. OL, QB, WR, pass rush (outside of Hughes) and CB (outside of White) are all big concerns individually, but collectively point to a very poor season ahead. But that’s not definitive.  Any of those players or groups of players could surprise or gel. If/when I see that I’ll revise my expectations.  Not before. I’m a “show me” guy.  I only give credit when it’s earned. 

39 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Didn't they all say that last year and we ended up in the playoffs?

Again, Bleacher Report is just that.... a report from the bleachers. I don't put a lot of stock into what they have to say.

Unless they are talking good, about the Bills, then we can say how smart they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If they are overly negative - then yes. I confess from being pretty sure 3 weeks ago that this team's floor was about 6 wins to believe it may be closer to half that. That doesn't mean I am predicting 3 wins.... but some of the question marks we had 3 or 4 weeks ago are now more significant worries:

- can Vontae Davis match EJ Gaines' production at the RCB spot?

- do we have enough receiving talent after Kelvin Benjamin?

- is our offensive line capable of giving any of our QBs the time needed to make throws?

- is Trent Murphy healthy enough to be the bump our pass rush requires?

- are we getting a totally committed, all-in, version of Star?

- can one of the QBs separate from the pack?

At the start of training camp those were all genuine questions that were discussed on this board and elsewhere. Fair questions. I know camp and pre-season are camp and pre-season but can anyone honestly say that they feel better about any of those scenarios now than they did 5 weeks ago? I'd be lying if I said I did.  

I'm worried. Much more worried than I was at this time last year. I think this season could be rough. I'm not going to panic if it is I still believe in the coach and am still willing to give Beane the benefit of the doubt (Allen is massive for him) and we could still be on the right long term trajectory even if this season is rough. But it is fair to be concerned at this stage. More than fair in my mind. 

No it didn't.  

I still have not been convinced by Beane's personnel moves that he consistently knows what he is doing. I admit he has a plan and sticks to it but I'm not convinced it's a good plan. We've essentially switched out Dareus for Louteleli and Watkins for Benjamin, for instance. Did this improve the team? Was it smart to expect Murphy to be the answer at defensive end? Was letting Brown and Ragland go really the best way to improve the linebacking?

As you say, how Allen pans out will be huge in determining whether Beane is a success. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Didn't they all say that last year and we ended up in the playoffs?

Again, Bleacher Report is just that.... a report from the bleachers. I don't put a lot of stock into what they have to say.

Dear Mr Stats:  "what does it mean when stats or surveys say it's correct within 95%?"

Answer:  that's the built-in cushion of picking the Bills to miss the playoffs for 20 straight years.  They will make it once.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

No but we should believe our eyes when we see that we are struggling to get pressure on the quarterback or keep our own QBs off their backs. Can Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Alexander etc get some pass rush going? Can we find a way to protect whoever is under center? These are the questions I’m struggling with right now.  

Roster cuts and potential upgrades becoming available could change the outlook somewhat. 

This is is a less sexy concern but this is honestly way higher on my concern list than who is actually under center week 1.

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Is there any actual evidence that they are working well together? If this team slips to 5 wins, what is different from when Mularkey was here? I keep seeing posts that talk about the stability now, but there are signs that it's the same dumpster fire as before. 

Yes.  We arguably have the two most important positions on the team set going forward: QB (Allen eventually with Peterman as backup) and MLB.  You can build around those guys.  Just need to get competent O-line and D-line play.   The secondary is solid, RB's are solid, and WR's will be okay if the line can give anyone time to pass.  

The building blocks are there.  We also have a OT in Dawkins.  Another important piece.  Just need to keep building.  Will take another draft and FA period, but I think we get it done.  

We are not chasing "star" players who provide little game winning value like TO.   We have gone after guys who come in and make the team better both in FA and the Draft (Poyer, Hyde, Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Dawkins, White, etc.)  

1 minute ago, SoCoBills said:

No but we should believe our eyes when we see that we are struggling to get pressure on the quarterback or keep our own QBs off their backs. Can Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Alexander etc get some pass rush going? Can we find a way to protect whoever is under center? These are the questions I’m struggling with right now.  

Roster cuts and potential upgrades becoming available could change the outlook somewhat. 

This is is a less sexy concern but this is honestly way higher on my concern list than who is actually under center week 1.

I think pass rush will have to be fixed with roster cuts and next year in the draft and FA.  Finally cap space.  

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Yes.  We arguably have the two most important positions on the team set going forward: QB (Allen eventually with Peterman as backup) and MLB.  You can build around those guys.  Just need to get competent O-line and D-line play.   The secondary is solid, RB's are solid, and WR's will be okay if the line can give anyone time to pass.  

The building blocks are there.  We also have a OT in Dawkins.  Another important piece.  Just need to keep building.  Will take another draft and FA period, but I think we get it done.  

We are not chasing "star" players who provide little game winning value like TO.   We have gone after guys who come in and make the team better both in FA and the Draft (Poyer, Hyde, Allen, Edmunds, Phillips, Dawkins, White, etc.)  

"set at QB"

okay....

that's still not anywhere near elite or even franchise QB.

I'm not all doom and gloom but the last two games cause legitimate concerns especially on the Offensive and Defensive Lines.  We seem to get bullied and pushed around quite a bit. A scheme, game plan and good play calling can help mask some of the deficiencies but when your talent level is significantly lower than your opponent, chances are you will lose.

I mean, I don’t know if the Bills will be the worst team in football. I also don’t know how anyone can objectively look at this team and expect to be good? That is okay. If Allen can play and Edmunds can play, the future is bright. The Bills are going through a rebuilding phase. Next year, it should be complete (or close to it). I don’t care if they are bad now as long as a year from now they look like a team on the rise. That is what “process” is all about.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think pass rush will have to be fixed with roster cuts and next year in the draft and FA.  Finally cap space.  

We have no idea if QB or MLB is set. MLB looks more promising at this point. The secondary is very thin, the RB's are old, and the WR group is terrible. Poyer and Hyde were the previous GM and Dawkins still has a lot to prove. Everyone is selling these possibilities as though they already happened. It might be that they work well together and we will see it in the next couple years, or this could be one of the worst Bills teams and we wasted our chance to get a good QB. Only time will tell, but the state of the team right now is terrible.