Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

Contract wise Mack is worth it and he is very good character and likes Buffalo.

How much will the bidding against other teams push up the trade cost is the problem to me.

I want to see how the OL looks in preseason 3 . Right now I see a high price FA,    OL man as a higher priority. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I've said Hughes and a 1st.

Hughes nets you $6.35 million in cap savings.

Lawson nets you $1.38.

My question to all would be IF the trade goes down AND Hughes is still on the team, where does Hughes go?

Both play the right DE position.

I don't know where he plays but on the highlight films, all his sacks come from him being on the left side.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

We seem to have a spotty record as of late finding great LB's & DE's in the draft as of late. I mean we used quite a few picks over the years, including some fairly high ones on guys like Lawson, Posluszny, Maybin, Edmunds, Tarpley,  Ragland, Alonzo, Milano, Washington, Brown, Bradham, Carrington, Moats, Kelsay, etc.

We never seem to truly strike greatness in the draft, but have done much better in FA or trades. Takeo Spikes, Mario Williams, London Fletcher, Lorenzo Alexander, Jerry Hughes, and more have all been great, standout contributors for our team. Mack could be the next, and possibly greatest, in a long line of successful Bills trades/acquisitions.

Wait, are you really calling Tremaine Edmunds a failed pick after two pre-season games (which weren't even as bad as people here are suggesting)?! Matt Milano is a 5th rounder who after a season is looking very good. A.J. Tarpley was an undrafted free agent. Shaq Lawson and Adolphus Washington have a bit more logic to them, but the book has hardly been completely closed on them yet (Lawson has played bits of two seasons).

I'm very much pro trading for Mack and the thought that trading a 1st even if you think it's a top ten (which i doubt) is not worth it is insane as with a top ten pick you hope that guy will become close to as good as a Khalil Mack in a few years. Mack could make this one of the top Ds in the league, if not the top. However, by stretching for too many names, you dilute your point (and the piling on 20-year-old Edmunds before he has played one meaningful game is getting tiresome and really needs to stop).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Mack is a pass rusher probably one of the few positions just under QB in terms of value in the NFL. The Rams just gave up the 23rd overall pick plus a late round pick for Brandin Cooks who they gave a fairly big contract to. Teams do make these kinds of trades for players they feel will put them over the top or if they can get a dominant player for the next 5 years at the cost of 1 premium draft pick. So I think that you will find at least 1-3 trade offers building a package around a 1st round pick. Like I said if I were the Bills I would give up a 2019 1st plus KC's 4th in 2019 and a 4th in 2020 plus Hughes if the Raiders wanted him (Although I would lower the 2020 4th to a 6th for Hughes to be in the deal.) 

I think that Mack would have a generational impact for the next 4 seasons and at the cost of a 1st round pick and 2 mid rounders I think it would be worth it. The Cap isn't that big of an issue as the Bills have plenty of 2019 and 2020 space to commit. The Bills don't have any major resignings coming up in 2019 or 2020 outside of maybe Shaq. But I see the trepidation as that's still a significant commitment to make to a pass rusher who might only have 2-3 great years left. 

The Cooks trade actually supports my argument.

1.  Edge rusher is not “just below QB” in positional value.  The drop off is huge.  If qb is 10, edge is 3 or 4, even if edge is the second most valuable, which it’s not.  (That  would be WR.)

2.  Cooks has averaged over 1100 yds receiving the last 3 seasons.  

3.  Cooks turns 25 next month.  Mack turns 28 in February.  That matters.

4. Cooks signed a five-year extension with only $20 million guaranteed.  Mack will be looking for around $60 million guaranteed, if not more.

5.  You are wrong about what the Rams gave up for Cooks.  They gave up less than 23 overall.  They got Cooks and NE’s 4th round pick for 23 overall and their 6th rounder.  And at the time they made the trade, the Rams knew they were only giving up 23 overall.  The Bills would be giving up what might well be a top 10 overall pick in a draft packed with impact d-linemen and edge rushers.  Those guys will be 21-years old, and on cheap contracts through 2022.

6.  I think you are overestimating the number of teams seriously interested in trading for Mack.  I think it’s probably only a couple.

Conclusion:  The Raiders will be lucky to get someone’s 2019 first round pick for Mack, and the Bills might actually be overpaying by giving them just next year’s first.  I think Beane might get it done for a second and a player like Shaq.

One other conclusion:  Jon Gruden is an idiot,

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

Beane and McDermott have stressed that they want team first guys. High character locker room leaders that absolutely love the game. I can't see where a guy  not reporting and holding out while under contract fits that profile. This is not a comment on whether he should be holding out, what his value is, if he is underpaid, etc., just doesn't seem to be a McBeane kind of guy. 

It does make a difference why though. If the player was treated with respect by the front office the holdout wouldn’t be happening. I don’t see Beane and McDermott going 9 months without speaking to their superstar. No one is blaming Mack in this situation. This is all on Gruden and the Raiders.

7 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

Maybe, or maybe until he's unhappy about something. I don't know the man, don't know how he approaches things. I only know what his reported actions are, and what McBeane sez they look for in a player. Doesn't seem to be a match

He’s unhappy that the comparable players around the league have $70M guaranteed and they want him to play out his current deal. It’s not a mystery.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It does make a difference why though. If the player was treated with respect by the front office the holdout wouldn’t be happening. I don’t see Beane and McDermott going 9 months without speaking to their superstar. No one is blaming Mack in this situation. This is all on Gruden and the Raiders.

He’s unhappy that the comparable players around the league have $70M guaranteed and they want him to play out his current deal. It’s not a mystery.

Remember, Mack will be 28 in February.  If he plays this year under his current deal he will be going on 29 when he becomes a free agent, and he could be franchised for two years after that.  This is probably his best shot at a really big contract.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SWATeam said:

How much say could Mack have in a potential trade?  What if he wants Buffalo?

Mack probably has little influence on where he goes, being 

on his rookie contract. I doubt Chuckie would go out of his way too accomandate him.

Edited by Best Player Available

1 minute ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Pretty much. Not enough fluid cash to put into escrow for his signing bonus

That is rough. How does a team in such a situation expect to be competitive? How does the NFL allow that to happen? I don't recall a situation like that, at least being public, in the past 20 years. That being said, there are other ways the Bills or any trade partner could compensate the Raiders for Mack, such as cold, hard cash.

13 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Pretty much. Not enough fluid cash to put into escrow for his signing bonus

Interesting. If true, means raiders have even less leverage than I thought.  I think Mack can be had for a second round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Mack probably has little influence on where he goes, being 

on his rookie contract. I doubt Chuckie would go out of his way too accomandate him.

True but a team will not trade for him knowing he won't sign a new contract

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Excuse me? What are you even asking? If a great player might be on the market, at a position of need, smart teams are going to look into the cost and possibility. ANY player that might make your team better needs to be investigated. 

Maybe we just have some miscommunication here, as that seems pretty obvious. 

Maybe Beane has been colluding with Mack the whole time.  Just like some posters would have you believe Beane ran the 2017 draft from the Panthers war room.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The Cooks trade actually supports my argument.

1.  Edge rusher is not “just below QB” in positional value.  The drop off is huge.  If qb is 10, edge is 3 or 4, even if edge is the second most valuable, which it’s not.  (That  would be WR.)

2.  Cooks has averaged over 1100 yds receiving the last 3 seasons.  

3.  Cooks turns 25 next month.  Mack turns 28 in February.  That matters.

4. Cooks signed a five-year extension with only $20 million guaranteed.  Mack will be looking for around $60 million guaranteed, if not more.

5.  You are wrong about what the Rams gave up for Cooks.  They gave up less than 23 overall.  They got Cooks and NE’s 4th round pick for 23 overall and their 6th rounder.  And at the time they made the trade, the Rams knew they were only giving up 23 overall.  The Bills would be giving up what might well be a top 10 overall pick in a draft packed with impact d-linemen and edge rushers.  Those guys will be 21-years old, and on cheap contracts through 2022.

6.  I think you are overestimating the number of teams seriously interested in trading for Mack.  I think it’s probably only a couple.

Conclusion:  The Raiders will be lucky to get someone’s 2019 first round pick for Mack, and the Bills might actually be overpaying by giving them just next year’s first.  I think Beane might get it done for a second and a player like Shaq.

One other conclusion:  Jon Gruden is an idiot,

I like this post

18 minutes ago, nucci said:

True but a team will not trade for him knowing he won't sign a new contract

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

So, in other words, Mack has a lot of say in where he ends up.

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

or where he doesn't end up...

Look at the spurs with Leonard.

He said publicly he wants to sign with only in la

So they traded him to Toronto because Toronto went full in and gave them a huge package for him

Will he sign? Who knows? Toronto too a risk but only gave up about 70% of what he's worth.

Same thing happened last year in the NBA with Paul George.

Said he wanted to go to LA Lakers only, and wanted to sign with them as a FA, so Indiana traded him for 60 cents on the dollar to OKC, and he wound up loving it there and staying.

So who knows, somebody might pony up for Mack even without a commitment, but just teams won't go full price for that, so it just means the raiders will have to take below market value to get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

Process reaching critical mass....

If they feel strongly enough about Allen to forfeit draft picks I say go for it.    Even if we gave him a 3 year extention We'd have him for the bulk of his prime anyway and I think they could massage the cap to keep him around and still sign Josh Allen when he comes up.