Why is bob Foster still on the team?

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Your mouth to McDermott’s ears, friend.

Be patient.

Let him take all the snaps in the 4th pre-season game when you don't wanna play anyone who is significant on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

It's really too bad because he has shown the ability to create separation and get open. Unfortunately his lackluster effort, hands and not being where he's supposed to be may very well seal his fate.

Just like Da'Rick Rodgers.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Just re-watched the game and holy God he was bad.

...maybe I'm having yet ANOTHER senior moment, but I thought there were plenty of kudos early on in practice about this kid.....think there was a "WHO IS YOUR DARK HORSE(S) TO MAKE THE TEAM thread and many mentioned Wallace AND Foster, a/k/a the 'Bama Connection with Daboll......what the hell happened??...

Because it’s only 1 preseason game, he is a rookie, and they will give him a longer look.  With Coleman here now it’s going to be hard for any rookies to make the team at WR, but they are gonna at least give them a good look before cutting.  If one performance led to being cut, Peterman would be a grocery bagger right now hoping to be next Kurt Warner story.  

In no no particular order, WRs most likely will be:

KB, Coleman, Zay, Streeter, Holmes, Kerley for the first 6.  So everyone else is playing for likely one ST spot at WR and only if they keep 7.  And Ray Ray certainly has a leg up on Foster already, not to mention the other guys competing in the mix.  They could carry 7, but I doubt it, so hard for rookies to make this team unless they are playing really well IMO.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...maybe I'm having yet ANOTHER senior moment, but I thought there were plenty of kudos early on in practice about this kid.....think there was a "WHO IS YOUR DARK HORSE(S) TO MAKE THE TEAM thread and many mentioned Wallace AND Foster, a/k/a the 'Bama Connection with Daboll......what the hell happened??...

He was getting aot of Buzz in shorts. And then like the OTA HOFer Dez Lewis the pads came on. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because it’s only 1 preseason game, he is a rookie, and they will give him a longer look.  With Coleman here now it’s going to be hard for any rookies to make the team at WR, but they are gonna at least give them a good look before cutting.  If one performance led to being cut, Peterman would be a grocery bagger right now hoping to be next Kurt Warner story.  

KB, Coleman, Zay, Streeter, Holmes, Kerley for the first 6.  So everyone else is playing for likely one ST spot at WR and only if they keep 7.  And Ray Ray certainly has a leg up on Foster already, not to mention the other guys competing in the mix.  They could carry 7, but I doubt it, so hard for rookies to make this team unless they are playing really well IMO.

Yeah.  He already graduated from UT before transferring to Pitt where he got his masters degree.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He was getting aot of Buzz in shorts. And then like the OTA HOFer Dez Lewis the pads came on. 

...damn.....talk about blowing an opportunity........probably baseless speculation, but I wonder if he was asinine enough to take the "Daboll 'Bama Connection" for granted?....

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Someone has to play WR in the preseason farce ... I mean finale. 

They may sign a sacrificial lamb to play QB in that game.  At any rate, Foster staying on the team until the final cut down isn't a big deal with them having additional time for evaluation. 

Probably because NFL coaches are not quite as impulsive as we are and give newbies more than one chance to show they can learn and improve themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

...so you don't see a shot for the Reilly kid, 'Dawg?.......what is your assessment of the lad?...........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn.....talk about blowing an opportunity........probably baseless speculation, but I wonder if he was asinine enough to take the "Daboll 'Bama Connection" for granted?....

I do think he lands on the PS though. 

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To me, Coleman, Zay, Streater, and Holmes are not stone cold locks to make the 53, though most here at TBD think they are.  RayRay is pushing hard as is Reilly.  Foster lacks heart, but I may be wrong, maybe he just has to be told, "Hey, you have to lay out for those balls".  We'll find out this Friday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I probably missed your previous assessments of other WR's with my apology....if Foster goes to the PS, what or where do Ray-Ray and Proehl end up?...thank you....

Ray Ray is on my 53 right now. 

And Proehl well looking for a job somewhere else. 

My current Rankings

1. KB - Lock

2. Kerley

3. Jones

4. Coleman

5. McCloud

6. Reilly

7. Holmes

8 Phillips - PS if eligible or IR stash

9. Dupre - PS if eligible 

10. Streater

11 Foster - PS if eligible

12  Proehl

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe they’re trying to coach him?  Players develop, I know it’s a foreign concept with this franchise...

...LMAO...so is the word DOWNFIELD for our WR corp....they were previously inactive MOST Sundays with a better shot of seeing a t-shirt from the stands versus the pigskin....pretty sure DOWNFIELD was roped off with NO TREPASSING signs.....our passing game had about as much POTENCY as ME.....

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ray Ray is on my 53 right now. 

And Proehl well looking for a job somewhere else

...thanks for your assessment...appreciated bud.....:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO...so is the word DOWNFIELD for our WR corp....they were previously inactive MOST Sundays with a better shot of seeing a t-shirt from the stands versus the pigskin....pretty sure DOWNFIELD was roped off with NO TREPASSING signs.....our passing game had about as much POTENCY as ME.....

...thanks for your assessment...appreciated bud.....:thumbsup:

Yeah added my current rankings to my response to you. 

It may be fun and some may find it witty to demand that a player be cut after a poor preseason game (and yes it was bad), but that's not how teams work their roster. Also as a fan you don't want them to manage their personnel that way. If they find a player they like, they will cut player the 90th player on their chart - I'm sure they have the bottom 10 or so ranked regardless of position. 

There is no reason to carry less than 90 at this stage. They can limit reps, and that will happen at WR because of the number of players. The other reality is that no one else is cutting players now either so there aren't players available. Remember, the teams/league made the change to get rid of the cutdown day from 90 to 75 during preseason so they really don't want to cut anyone until they have to.

This is pretty much a pointless topic. There were plenty of players that played poorly and have virtually no chance of making the roster but that is part of camp. Keeping the players longer also gives the coaches longer to evaluate which players are the most coachable, improve the most and have the most potential or upside which will help them make the calls on the practice squad. 

And then there's the need to field a team with half a clue in preseason game #4 so none of the starters or substantial contributors (like rotational D-linemen, nickel corners, #3&4 WRs, etc.) have to play and can avoid the risk of injury.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm shocked at how so many here have Zay Jones on the final 53.  Other than the fact that the bills spent a big draft choice on him, he hasn't done anything well.  Lousy season last year catching 36% of his targets, hurt, wacky off-season incident, still hurt, likely way behind on grasping the new offense due to time missed. If anyone on this team is trade bait it's him.  Prop him up best they can over the next few weeks and grab a late pick for him and move on.  That to me seems like the most likely scenario.  He showed very little last year and it's been downhill for him since. 

IMO he'll have to look very good in practice and each of the remaining games even to get into contention to stay on this team. 

One downside of doing all the cuts at once is that it seems to delay consequences and potential for training.

Used to be you drop a pass in the preseason game (or give up on the play) and you’d be one of the first cut at the next round or cuts. This would (at least it seems to me, as an outsider) create a link in the minds of other players that if they don’t take it seriously, they’re gone.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

One downside of doing all the cuts at once is that it seems to delay consequences and potential for training.

Used to be you drop a pass in the preseason game (or give up on the play) and you’d be one of the first cut at the next round or cuts. This would (at least it seems to me, as an outsider) create a link in the minds of other players that if they don’t take it seriously, they’re gone.

:huh: They can cut players anytime they want to before the deadline. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: They can cut players anytime they want to before the deadline. 

Yeah. And it might be wise too, but they’re not required to so it rarely happens.

There’s not a whole lot of point in cutting guys when you don’t have to because they are at least bodies on the field. The point I was making was that a bright side of the old rule was that it was a message to the other guys. Maybe made the idea of being cut more real to those guys who made it past the first wave.

• Like (+1) 1