Bills' Preseason Week 1 Game Day vs. Carolina - 7 PM ET at New Era Field

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How’d the 1st team OL look?  Other than QB, that’s the unit we need to look good.

Like other members suggested they were pretty solid...when you watch the game I think you'll be just as impressed with the second group that came in...Bodine and Teller were studs...on a sour note,the 3rd string group was a mess for the most part.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

It's usually dumb luck. Wentz showed us last year (like Favre did his entire career) that it can happen on purpose if you have the talent. I think Allen knew what he was doing. 

Romo made a career of it too, a pretty solid one at that.

People should watch the sports-science bit on Allen.

They show that his throwing on the run mechanics, while they look awkward to some, are actually very good from a physics standpoint.

He coils his body and launches from his plant foot, generating great velocity (higher than most of the combine QB's generated from a standard plant pocket throw) off of one leg while leaping.

He also replicates this over and over again, and shows he's able to do it under pressure whenever he wants.

I'm good with it.

The kid has a freaking howitzer, and he seems to have a good feel for the QB position, most people forget he has only been playing competitive QB for what? 4 years? (he didn't even play football until he was a Jr or Sr in HS i think)

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Better view:

Jesus Christ that was a freaking laser.

23 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The corner play behind the starters was not good. We have very little depth behind the starting secondary. The starters in the back end of our defense might be the strongest group of the entire team. The guys behind them, remind me of the Rex days.

Yep!

#30 & #47 can start packing for my money!

1 hour ago, bills11 said:

I thought AJ was the best qb on the field tonight his pocket precense and his accuracy was good..Peterman had good production but his arm talent just isn't good enough for professional football you can win with him in an offence where you keep him away from perimeter routes but after a cpl weeks defences will just flood the middle like they did vs Trent Edwards ..Josh Allen was encouraging tonight..the 3rd string o line was awful I feel like he showed relatively good poise and had the flashes ..the TD throw obviously was phenomenal and you could see his talent translating albeit in this small sample size .

Spot on post 

I like peterman tho his timing and placement was awesome (after his first throw) he also seems to have a Rythem with KB 

aj looked solid but I’d like to see him with ones 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

That much is true. Although Tyrod would've had a better completion percentage, but also less yards per reception too.

Well, Tyrod went 5 for 5 for 99 yards and a TD in 2 series for the Browns tonight in their opener.......

Mason Rudolph, who some wanted so they could keep their picks and not make any trades, went 7 of 12 for 101 yards (no TDS)

Lamar Jackson went 7 of 18 for 119 yards

Mahommes went 5 of 7 for 33 yards

My point?

dont really have one because its only the 1st Preseason game and the stats don't really mean anything yet........

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 5

I didn't really have an opinion before tonight's game. But now I'm definitely not a fan of how they are managing Allen.

You invest all this draft capital in him, say you might red shirt him, he's the future. Then you play him behind an oline of all guys you're going to cut. If you're going to red shirt him, red shirt him. I don't want him out their behind a bunch of bums taking hits for no reason. It's pointless. He had little to no help tonight, I'm not even sure how you can evaluate a lot of what he did tonight given what he's working with.

Remember when Rex was ridiculed for playing Sanchez behind a bunch of bums and got hurt? How about that going for it on 4th down play? That had that bs written all over it.

But whatever, it's McDermott, not Ryan. So it can't be the same.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didn't really have an opinion before tonight's game. But now I'm definitely not a fan of how they are managing Allen.

You invest all this draft capital in him, say you might red shirt him, he's the future. Then you play him behind an oline of all guys you're going to cut. If you're going to red shirt him, red shirt him. I don't want him out their behind a bunch of bums taking hits for no reason. It's pointless. He had little to no help tonight, I'm not even sure how you can evaluate a lot of what he did tonight given what he's working with.

Remember when Rex was ridiculed for playing Sanchez behind a bunch of bums and got hurt? How about that going for it on 4th down play? That had that bs written all over it.

I agree a bit on the O-line. If you want to play him behind the 3rd stringers- ok, fine. But get him a possession or two with at least the 2nd string o-line (if not the whole 2nd string offense)

• Like (+1) 3

Very interesting 1st preseason game. Enough for McD and other coaches to now make changes. So far so good , but Allen needs time with the ones next preseason game.

10 penalties for 69 yds not to bad. 

8 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

You may be a fan for over 29 years, but you've apparently been with a keyboard for about 7 or 8 minutes.

Sorry. Just bustin' balls. Not only do I agree with what you wrote, let me add may I mommy dog face to the banana patch.

Is that paraphrasing from the movie PCU?

Either way doesn't make a difference...I can't stop laughing.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

WOW! Seeing it from that angle.....that is damn impressive.

Also, good catch by McCloud.

I like the DB looking back after it's completed like "Wait, what just happened?"

• Like (+1) 3

Overall ... very happy with what I saw last night (final score aside) ... so what if Carolina's 3rd stringers are better than ours

Offense

- Liked the new offensive playcalling

- Kelvin's play .. looking forward to Coleman/Zay in game 2

- OL .. Teller ..liked what I saw (he's got a nasty streak) and Newhouse's block on the TD run opening the hole was awesome

- Agree with starting either Nate/AJ .. but wow given time Josh's arm ... that first throw of the 2nd half .... only if real receiver out there

- Marcus Murphy ...giddyup ... nice hard running

- Cut Foster

Defense

- Harrison Phillips ... yea boy

- Starting Defense (net of covering screens/dump offs) looked good ... love our secondary

- Holy cow ... Shaq showed up

- Edmunds looks huge sitting there in the middle ... think the butterflies took over last night ... look forward to more in future games

Kelvin was right ... saw last night .. Cam can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Was stuck watching the Panther's Broadcast as I live in NC ... Mick Mixon the play by play (who I'm not a fan of anyway)  .. ended the first quarter by saying end of the 1st quarter from New Era field .. in Erie County Pennsylvania ... YES Pennsylvania .... guess its preseason for the broadcasters as well.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Wow, loaded with hot takes. I'll assume it was past your bedtime. 

I saw enough to know that while he is an inexperienced rookie Allen wasn't rattled. I saw that his arm is as advertised. I saw that as an inexperienced rookie QB he'll sometimes make head scratching decisions.  If you want to blame someone for the 3rd stringers then I suppose you can choose Beane. You would prefer Peterman play behind that line? Why? You would prefer McCaron play behind that line? Why?  You don't see any reason to go for it on 4th down? Your final sentence is worthy of only one response :sick:

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Overall ... very happy with what I saw last night (final score aside) ... so what if Carolina's 3rd stringers are better than ours

Offense

- Liked the new offensive playcalling

- Kelvin's play .. looking forward to Coleman/Zay in game 2

- OL .. Teller ..liked what I saw (he's got a nasty streak) and Newhouse's block on the TD run opening the hole was awesome

- Agree with starting either Nate/AJ .. but wow given time Josh's arm ... that first throw of the 2nd half .... only if real receiver out there

- Marcus Murphy ...giddyup ... nice hard running

- Cut Foster

Defense

- Harrison Phillips ... yea boy

- Starting Defense (net of covering screens/dump offs) looked good ... love our secondary

- Holy cow ... Shaq showed up

- Edmunds looks huge sitting there in the middle ... think the butterflies took over last night ... look forward to more in future games

Kelvin was right ... saw last night .. Cam can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Was stuck watching the Panther's Broadcast as I live in NC ... Mick Mixon the play by play (who I'm not a fan of anyway)  .. ended the first quarter by saying end of the 1st quarter from New Era field .. in Erie County Pennsylvania ... YES Pennsylvania .... guess its preseason for the broadcasters as well.

I'm in NC too. Was it just me or did the Panthers announcers seem enamored with Allen? 

The Buffalo Bills played their first preseason game of 2018, and Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss how the quarterbacks looked, and if Josh Allen did anything to change the minds of the coaching staff. Plus, some non-QB standouts from the game, and the return of our favorite postgame segment!

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Buffalo Bills played their first preseason game of 2018, and Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss how the quarterbacks looked, and if Josh Allen did anything to change the minds of the coaching staff. Plus, some non-QB standouts from the game, and the return of our favorite postgame segment!

Writing “5 Takeaways” and showing Peterman could give some people around here a hernia if they didn’t know the context of the post lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Was thinking the same. Not a physical corner. EJ Gaines was very physical CB

Brought this up to say how I noticed Siran Neal laid the smackdown late in the game, in contrast to Davis' weak tackling. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

1) The mental pressure and expectations on him are less when he's playing the game with the 3's.  Gives him time to get his NFL game feet.  I like this approach.  

2) He's in the fire, running for his life but showing confidence and learning under the harshest of conditions.  He'll come out battle tested and ready.  In other words- excellent training .  

3) When he's ready to play with the starters, he will have earned it.  

Edited by jethro_tull