Bills' Preseason Week 1 Game Day vs. Carolina - 7 PM ET at New Era Field

3 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Incredible throw into a tiny window...

Wow.  The bottom line is this -- if Allen learns not to make "dumb" mistakes (like the 4th down play) he is going to make a number of these sorts of throws each game.  DBs will have a hard time picking him off because the ball is there so quickly.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thanks man. 

What did you do to get it to embed? 

I dont have a problem with YouTube videos or tweets. 

What am I doing wrong with this link? I copy the address at the top of the page and paste it here. 

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didn't really have an opinion before tonight's game. But now I'm definitely not a fan of how they are managing Allen.

You invest all this draft capital in him, say you might red shirt him, he's the future. Then you play him behind an oline of all guys you're going to cut. If you're going to red shirt him, red shirt him. I don't want him out their behind a bunch of bums taking hits for no reason. It's pointless. He had little to no help tonight, I'm not even sure how you can evaluate a lot of what he did tonight given what he's working with.

Remember when Rex was ridiculed for playing Sanchez behind a bunch of bums and got hurt? How about that going for it on 4th down play? That had that bs written all over it.

But whatever, it's McDermott, not Ryan. So it can't be the same.

Right now they're trying to figure out who starts opening day. Allen is not in that race.  His time will come. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks man. 

What did you do to get it to embed? 

I dont have a problem with YouTube videos or tweets. 

What am I doing wrong with this link? I copy the address at the top of the page and paste it here. 

The NFL.com/Bills' links don't embed directly.  YouTube and Facebook do.  The one I linked is YouTube.

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Wow.  The bottom line is this -- if Allen learns not to make "dumb" mistakes (like the 4th down play) he is going to make a number of these sorts of throws each game.  DBs will have a hard time picking him off because the ball is there so quickly.

The FB missed his blocking assignment...you can't blame Allen.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

The FB missed his blocking assignment...you can't blame Allen.

No, you can't blame Allen for the missed block.  You CAN blame him for running around like a Keystone Kop and then hurling the ball into trouble as he's going down.

9 minutes ago, eball said:

No, you can't blame Allen for the missed block.  You CAN blame him for running around like a Keystone Kop and then hurling the ball into trouble as he's going down.

But it was 4th down...  Did you want him to throw it away?  I have no problem with him trying to make a play there.

10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

But it was 4th down...  Did you want him to throw it away?  I have no problem with him trying to make a play there.

What he did could have resulted in a scoring play the other way.  Look, I'm rooting for the kid and thought he played well, but that was a boneheaded play.

• Like (+1) 1

Peterman: "Always Things to Learn From" (2:54)

QB Nathan Peterman discusses his performance against the Carolina Panthers in the first preseason game of 2018.

Allen: "I Love this Game Even More" (4:24)

Bills QB Josh Allen spoke to the media following the team's game against the Panthers. Allen discussed what it was like playing in his first professional game and what he learned from his performance.

McCarron: "I was Proud of the Guys" (1:58)

Bills QB AJ McCarron spoke to the media following the team's preseason opener against the Panthers. McCarron discussed the team's rotation at quarterback and shared his thoughts on his play in the game.

10 minutes ago, eball said:

What he did could have resulted in a scoring play the other way.  Look, I'm rooting for the kid and thought he played well, but that was a boneheaded play.

He didn't have many options, especially if you believe (as I do) that he wrote off Foster as a receiving option after two alligator arms efforts.

40 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Meh essentially was trying to throw it away. He’s lucky that wasn’t picked off. He was probably told never to do that again. Hope he learns from these mistakes 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Meh essentially was trying to throw it away. He’s lucky that wasn’t picked off. He was probably told never to do that again. Hope he learns from these mistakes 

I think he was trying to make a play and get it to someone, but it got tipped up in the air.  An incompletion in that scenario is the same as a turnover.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

This is the only point -- I don't understand why several of you aren't getting it.  Nobody said he had good options on a busted play, just that what he chose to do could have been a much worse result (pick-6) than eating the ball or truly throwing it out of bounds.  It's not a huge deal in a preseason game, obviously, but he can't make that decision in a game that matters.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

6 minutes ago, eball said:

This is the only point -- I don't understand why several of you aren't getting it.  Nobody said he had good options on a busted play, just that what he chose to do could have been a much worse result (pick-6) than eating the ball or truly throwing it out of bounds.  It's not a huge deal in a preseason game, obviously, but he can't make that decision in a game that matters.

It's a silly point because on 4th down an incompletion is as bad as a pick.  Of course any pick could be returned for a TD, but you live with those chances when you commit to going for it on 4th down.

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think he was trying to make a play and get it to someone, but it got tipped up in the air.  An incompletion in that scenario is the same as a turnover.

It wasn’t tipped in the air. He literally threw it in the direction of the defenders that were swarming him.  It was a bad decision and an even worse throw. It happens. Hope he learns from it.

I saw most of the fourth quarter and some of the third.  A few takeaways on Allen:

• You hear about how he zips it around, but actually seeing it live for the first time was eye opening.  He really puts some pace on the pigskin.  His receivers will have the advantage of being used to the ball speed, whereas opposing DBs from here out will likely have issues catching it
  • The inaccuracy worries that were discussed during the draft process really weren't visible.  He seemed to have no trouble hitting receivers in stride.  Most importantly, it looked like he was putting the ball where only the receiver could get it.
  • He had a few head scratchers. One was the fourth down play where he threw the ball as he was going down.  Another was the miscommunication between him and McCloud.  Not sure what happened there.  Was the error on his end or McCloud's?  I don't know.  Either way, with more practice he should be able to cut down on these sorts of plays.
  • His athletic ability.  He is quite talented at avoiding oncoming rushers.  He showed he can take off and gash the defense with his feet.  Even on that blooper fourth down play, he was still able to avoid the pass rush (now he just needs to learn to throw the ball away in that spot).  Allen is going to make the offensive line look better than they actually are.  He is no statue back there. 

Overall, it's hard not to be excited about his potential and the team's future with him at QB.  It genuinely feels like he could be an AMAZING quarterback.  We've all watched EJ, Trent, Fitz, Losman, etc. etc.  This just feels different.  I'm not 100% sold on him yet (it's just one game), but you can clearly see why they drafted him as high as they did

Finally one last thought on Foster:  This will probably be an unpopular opinion.  The guy had a bad game and there is clearly stuff to work on.  I know a lot of people are down on him and calling for him to be cut.  However, keep in mind that he was getting open and was in position to make some plays.  That's half the battle right there:  creating separation.  If he can put his athletic ability together with some of the other stuff, I could see him being a real good receiver.  He seems like an ideal practice squad candidate to me

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's a silly point because on 4th down an incompletion is as bad as a pick.  Of course any pick could be returned for a TD, but you live with those chances when you commit to going for it on 4th down.

It’s not a silly point. It was a bad decision. He’s going to learn from it. 

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

More proof that Allen just can't do anything to impress the "haters".

Hey, he managed to impress some mouth-breathing Jets fans over on GangGreen

haha... that play was on 4th down though so it didn't really matter, he had to make a play instead of chucking it out of bounds when that guy was in his face.

I watched the whole game and as much as I love trolling dumbass bills fans I gotta admit Allen looked alright last night. I can see why some scouts loved him. He's got a !@#$in cannon.

One play he dropped back, 3 step drop, and without even winding up much or throwing on the run he chucked it like 50-60 yards with velocity and ease. It was on target too, if the WR he was playing with didn't suck it would've been an incredible play.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/josh-allen.90512/page-3#post-3711945

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

More proof that Allen just can't do anything to impress the "haters".

The physical skills are quite obvious. If he conquers the mental and leadership parts of the game and gets some NFL experience, he can be special.   No reason right now to think that's not possible and he's the first QB in Buffalo in a lonnngggggg time IMO that truly brings that hope.

Edited by keepthefaith

All eyes on the quarterbacks in Bills preseason opener

ORCHARD PARK, NY - So far in training camp, no quarterback has separated himself over the others. But now that preseason games are here, maybe that will change.

Nathan Peterman got the start in the Bills preseason opener against the Panthers and he was impressive. He was perfect on their first drive and completed all nine passes then capped off the drive with a 28-yard touchdown pass to Kelvin Benjamin.

Their chemistry was huge to see. This is just what Peterman needed given he hasn't had the best camp. He has not built off the strong mini camp he had in the spring but he came out firing in Thursday's game.

He completed nine of ten passes for 119 yards, a touchdown and interception.

Then A.J. McCarron took over and was solid as well. After getting sacked on his first play, he bounced back and completed seven of ten passes for 116 yards. I expect him to start in next week's second preseason game at Cleveland given the quarterback rotation and McCarron and Peterman keep splitting reps with the starters.

Rookie Josh Allen came in to start the second half which I was happy to see. Earlier in the week, head coach Sean McDermott said they were bringing Allen along slow but nothing is more valuable than game experience and that's exactly what Allen needs.

We saw that inconsistency factor and low completion percentage. He only completed nine of 19 passes for 116 yards and a touchdown but we also saw his biggest strength. He showed off that cannon of an arm. The very first play he threw a 60-yard bomb down the sideline. Granted it was out of bounds but so impressive. That strength is a huge reason the Bills drafted him 7th overall.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...BTW "26", how did this Foster kid go from the penthouse to the outhouse overnight?.....OR...am I misunderstanding camp reports?.......thought him and Wallace were the "dark horses" who could/would make the roster...what did I miss?....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...BTW "26", how did this Foster kid go from the penthouse to the outhouse overnight?.....OR...am I misunderstanding camp reports?.......thought him and Wallace were the "dark horses" who could/would make the roster...what did I miss?....

Playing football is a lot more than looking good in shorts against mostly air. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Playing football is a lot more than looking good in shorts against mostly air. 

...Jesus, talk about "in the tank".....you'd think as a 'Bama boy he'd want to show up big time for Daboll....better call UBER....adios......