John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

HOUSE

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

Yup, Josh Allen would be a bust if he completed 59% of his passes (Allen completed 56% in the MWC where I don’t think Seattle has a team) and had a 4 tds to 1 int ratio.  What an awful season that would be where Kerley is your number 1 wr.

fact is Kaepernick is better than Peterman and McCarron and odds are (and I hope I’m wrong) he will have a better career than Allen.  In a league that suspends women beaters/ drug users 2 games and in an offseason where we signed 2 guys coming off suspension (character!), if you were about having the best team possible, you would sign Kaepernick.  

This crusade is the reason Kaep isn't here. Well played, McBeane

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I believe Kaepernick is a low end starter/ high end backup.  So yes, it’s why he’s out of the league.

i know it’s not totally racial but it’s a league where everything Cam Newton does gets vilified while Brady screams at his coaches/ teammates and it’s just that he really wants to win.  

But yea, I’d be very interesting if a guy like Rodgers did this.  I know some of the Wisconsin fans think he is too liberal for their liking anyways. Chris Long took a bunch of crap this year.

Chris Long is a dweeb.

If Colin Kaepernick could be the franchise QB the Bills need I wouldn't care about the distraction. I didnt always agree with the way he presented his message always but if he brought championships I wouldn't care. That's my final verdict. 

I think all that matters is if the guy can be a champion. If he could I would support him as a QB. 

I don't think CK was ever established in the NFL. Not as a Franchise guy. I think his protest happened when he was a backup. So I think it was a guy who was on his way out anyway looking for a way to stay in the limelight. That's mostly just a personal opinion. 

I'd love all the distraction if it was loud and beating the Patriots for the division. Sign me up. 

The real distraction is if you bring this guy in and he's doing things to get attention without winning. Then it's a joke. Lay off the other junk until you win a bunch. 

If NFL teams are turned off it's because they are scared this is a guy just using the team for his own gains instead of coming just to play football. 

We brought in Josh Allen and with his tweets that was a distraction. Beane isn't scared about distraction if it's worth it I'll bet. 

Edited by Lfod

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so because a poster's OPINION differs from yours, he's a MORON?.......my, my how omnipotent.....good Lord look in the mirror.......talk about respecting opposing views......

It's not because he holds a different opinion.  It's because he holds a stupid opinion.  Teblow, better than Kaep?  I don't think Kaepernick's very good, but even I know he's better than Teblow.  :lol:

21 minutes ago, Lfod said:

If Colin Kaepernick could be the franchise QB the Bills need I wouldn't care about the distraction. I didnt always agree with the way he presented his message always but if he brought championships I wouldn't care. That's my final verdict. 

I think all that matters is if the guy can be a champion. If he could I would support him as a QB. 

I don't think CK was ever established in the NFL. Not as a Franchise guy. I think his protest happened when he was a backup. So I think it was a guy who was on his way out anyway looking for a way to stay in the limelight. That's mostly just a personal opinion. 

I'd love all the distraction if it was loud and beating the Patriots for the division. Sign me up. 

The real distraction is if you bring this guy in and he's doing things to get attention without winning. Then it's a joke. Lay off the other junk until you win a bunch. 

If NFL teams are turned off it's because they are scared this is a guy just using the team for his own gains instead of coming just to play football. 

We brought in Josh Allen and with his tweets that was a distraction. Beane isn't scared about distraction if it's worth it I'll bet. 

No, the real controversy is that you bring in the guy either as a starter, and the first time he throws for 150 yards and 2 interceptions you have people calling for the backup to start; or you bring him in as a backup, and you immediately have other people complaining "He should be starting!"

Kaepernick's not in the league, because signing him is an instant quarterback controversy.  That's the distraction no one wants to put up with.

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not because he holds a different opinion.  It's because he holds a stupid opinion.  Teblow, better than Kaep?  I don't think Kaepernick's very good, but even I know he's better than Teblow.  :lol:

No, the real controversy is that you bring in the guy either as a starter, and the first time he throws for 150 yards and 2 interceptions you have people calling for the backup to start; or you bring him in as a backup, and you immediately have other people complaining "He should be starting!"

Kaepernick's not in the league, because signing him is an instant quarterback controversy.  That's the distraction no one wants to put up with.

Unless he's backing up to an established, elite QB of course.  I don't think Packers fans would be clamoring for Kaepernick to start if Rodgers throws four picks in a game.  The only way a team signs him would be in that scenario where a GM/owner who will risk the distraction because they believe in his cause (along with him being the best backup they can find).  Not likely to happen any time soon.

With the legal issues the league is dealing with, every GM in the league needs to be careful what they say about Colin Kaepernick.  Maybe Beane's statement is a safe one to make, but I'm not sure I wouln't have engaged in a little "GM speak" in response to questions about Kaepernick.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

With the legal issues the league is dealing with, every GM in the league needs to be careful what they say about Colin Kaepernick.  Maybe Beane's statement is a safe one to make, but I'm not sure I wouln't have engaged in a little "GM speak" in response to questions about Kaepernick.

Yet he did just that.  Kryk tried to bait him into saying something, anything negative.  He answered it like a complete professional and without controversy.  

Just FYI, he interviewed and asked this question of Beane in September of 2017.  This is an old old old interview,  yet WGR headlines it as if one, Beane offered the information on Colin and two that it's recent.  It's actually quite disgusting.  Listen to the interview - it's not what you think.

Edited by White Linen
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Say what you want about whether or not he has the talent to play in the NFL (I don't know the answer), but this thread is a distraction.  The fact that the poster titled it the way he did is a distraction.  People's emotional comments are a distraction.

You think NFL decision makers are interested in this?

Really what Beane is saying ia that he doesnt have enough talent to be worth the distraction he brings along with him.

If this was someone like Tom Brady then they'd put up with because his talent makes it worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He might be the best QB on the Bills.  We would cream ourselves if Josh Allen posted Kaepernick ‘s “awful” stats his last year in the nfl on an awful offense.

If McCarron posts those stats it would be a disappointment, with only the INTs stat looking good.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, Beane has killed it with his offensive player evaluations so far! Jordan Matthews! Broken Kelvin Benjamin! $3 million for an aging and slow rb!

Is Kelvin Benjamin still broken? Is he on another team? Or did you misunderstand why they brought him in, which was not just for one year.

The Bills spent $1.1 mill on Jordan Matthews, who was apparently more seriously injured than he or the Bills had hoped. But $1.1 mill was a very small risk.

Beane has been OK with his offensive player evaluations so far. He just hasn't spent much on the offense in F.A.. Which isn't his way anyway.

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup, Josh Allen would be a bust if he completed 59% of his passes (Allen completed 56% in the MWC where I don’t think Seattle has a team) and had a 4 tds to 1 int ratio.  What an awful season that would be where Kerley is your number 1 wr.

fact is Kaepernick is better than Peterman and McCarron and odds are (and I hope I’m wrong) he will have a better career than Allen.  In a league that suspends women beaters/ drug users 2 games and in an offseason where we signed 2 guys coming off suspension (character!), if you were about having the best team possible, you would sign Kaepernick.  

"Fact is Kaepernick is better than Peterman and McCarron," you say. You seem to be having major confusion between facts and opinions. What you have there is an opinion, and not a particularly solid one. We don't know yet who Peterman and McCarron are. Nobody does. Nor are the odds what you say they are. Call Vegas and try to get odds on a proposition bet that Kaep will have a better career than Allen. Think you'll get even odds?

And yeah, if whoever we have at QB - likely McCarron or Peterman - manages to run up a YPA this year equal to the whopping 6.8 Kaep posted in his last year, there will indeed be disappointment. Not to mention 186.8 YPG, also not a figure to inspire jealousy.

Yes, Kaepernick didn't throw dangerous balls so he kept his INTs down, but also his throws generally, and also his yards, his yards per attempt and his productivity overall. Hard to imagine that situation in Buffalo, but what do you think the Bills might do if they had a QB like that, a guy who also racked up a ton of sacks even if he could run? Hmmm. Hard to say what they would do in a case like that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sigh.... Beane is alittle loose with the lips at times.  He needs to keep it under the collar.  Its obvious that Colin would be a distraction due to the media coverage and not because of the kneeling.  

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He might be the best QB on the Bills.  We would cream ourselves if Josh Allen posted Kaepernick ‘s “awful” stats his last year in the nfl on an awful offense.

We weren't too excited about Tyrod Taylor, so I doubt this. The desire isn't to get a QB better than the Bills have had (kaepernick isn't), the desire is to get a good QB.

Tyrod Taylor 2016

15 games played

2799 passing yards (186.6 per game)

14 TDs (.93 per game)

4 INTs (.26 per game)

580 rushing yards (38.6 per game)

Colin Kaepernick 2016

12 Games played

2241 passing yards (186.75 per game)

16 TDs (1.3333 per game)

4 INTs (.33 per game)

468 rushing yards (39 per game)

No, Colin Kaepernick is not worth getting excited about unless you were excited for Tyrod.

Edited by What a Tuel

17 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I always saw Tim Tebow as a perfect backup. The problem was the fans were always calling for TEBOW. A few INTs  TEBOW

IMO it is a distraction.

Tebow isn't a perfect backup.  He can't play Quarterback. Not at all. 

who here does not think Kaepernick would not be a distraction? I dont get what the big whoop is!!!! He is not even in the NFL any longer and is still a distraction!!!

Edited by Go-Bills

People who are Kap supporters seem to forget after 1 1/4 years of success was followed by two terrible years where his QBR was below 60% and couldn’t get off his first read.  He’s an athlete, but not a great QB and then add the distraction part, and why would any owner allow him on a team who is trying to win and yes make money.

Kap even said the harshest response he ever received was at our stadium.  Do you actually think the majority of Buffalonians or Bills fans in general would support a guy who kneels for the anthem.   We have always had a ton of African American players on our team and no one I’ve ever heard made disparaging remarks b/c of skin color.  When I hear those words from anyone even if it were in my family, I walk away as the only thing you can do with racists is avoid them and not give them power.  The only persons I would correct are my children.  I just won’t tolerate it.  

So im clear, I fully support demonstrations, walks, interviews, and so on for racial equality, but don’t kneel for the anthem.  You may have the right, but doesn’t make it right.

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Kaep is out of the NFL for two reasons:

1) it is obvious that football isn't his #1 priority, even when he's on a team. No coach wants a QB with that mentality 

2) he's simply not good enough at football to overcome #1 above or the fact that he is indeed a distraction 

He's a commie.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So he's not all bad then?

There isn't a person on Earth who is all bad or all good, so no he is not all bad.  His choice of political beliefs is bad .  Too bad he didn't find a capitalist girlfriend to tell him what to do.

• Sad 1

Next up, the snubbing of Richie Incognito...who for some unknown reason can't find a team.

Is there collusion from NFL General Managers?,  How is this different?

How about Dorial Green Beckham, WR, 25 years old, not a sniff from any team.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

20 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Tim Tebow is out of the league for the same reason....

I hate these Tebow comparisons that are completely devoid of fact. Tebow is out of the league because he couldn’t throw the football and wasn’t athletic enough to be a decent H back or TE or very effective as a wildcat QB.

Tebow got given opportunities to earn playing time and make an impact for the Broncos...the Jets...and the Pats...who were looking for any way to capitalize on Tebow’s popularity and skill set. Heck the Jets even tried him on punt coverage and such just to try and justify his roster spot!

Kaep had one opportunity with one team. Is a much better athlete and a much better thrower of the football.  Nobody tried to even give him a 2nd look even though took his team to a championship game and is more talented than half the QBs in the league. Tebow is out of the league not because he loves Jesus. Everyone loved Tebow - I love Tebow even though I’m not religious at all. Tebow is out of the league because he can’t play. 

Edited by SoCoBills

1 hour ago, SoCoBills said:

I hate these Tebow comparisons that are completely devoid of fact. Tebow is out of the league because he couldn’t throw the football and wasn’t athletic enough to be a defend H back of TE or very effective as a wildcat QB.

Tebow got given opportunities to earn playing time and make an impact for the Broncos...the Jets...and the Pats...who were looking for any way to capitalize on Tebow’s popularity and skill set. 

Kaep had one opportunity with one team. Is a much better athlete and a much better thrower of the football and had one opportunity with one team. Tebow is out of the league not because he loves Jesus. Everyone loved Tebow - I love Tebow even though I’m not religious at all. Tebow is out of the league because he can’t play. 

I used Tebow as a comparison because many GMs said publicly that Tebow was a distraction. It was never my intention to argue over which was the better QB.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t fully disagree with you.  I do wish Kaepernick said something and really seemed to fight for his career. I do Eric Reid wants to play and is a good player and can’t get a job.  

But it stuff like people comparing Kaepernick to Tebow or saying he is terrible is straight garbage.

ive been pretty consistent.  I thought Incognito was a pretty awful dude but until this year, he kept his nose clean.  I think Kaepernick is a better qb than McCarron and Peterman.  I want the best team possible.  We signed 2 guys coming off suspension.  And it’s a league that gave Greg Hardy a second chance and drafted Joe Mixon in the 2nd round.  

I don't agree with the Tebow comparisons myself; Kaep was a better QB in his NFL career.

To your final paragraph, the reason that guys like Murphy, O-diggy, Hardy, Nixon, etc. get the 2nd chances are exactly as I mentioned: nobody questions whether or not football is a priority for them.  With Kaep, IMO it's pretty evident that football is merely a platform to spread a message, which is his #1 priority. Does that make him a bad person?  No (nor does the fact that I don't agree with his message).  It does, however, make him a guy that I wouldn't want on my team.

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...three way tie for dead LAST........Casper-nicked, RG II 1/8 and Tebone.......imagine if that trio was your TC roster?....paging Joe Dufek................

OTAG, you made me laugh...then I cried a little bit, but then I laughed some more.

trying to wrap that around my head is not the babooshka I want to be wearing heading into the season.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Kaepernick gets a lifetime ban for speaking his mind in peaceful protest, Winston gets 3 game for sexual harrassment. Tell me that's just

Can we start with Kaepernick not having any ban or other form of league discipline at all?

There may be collusion between owners/GMs not to give him a look

There may not be

But there is no formal league discipline of him at all, so it's a faulty comparison.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Kaepernick would have to find a job first.

Once and for all drop the idiocy Kapernick was a good QB, yeah he got lucky for one year just like Vince Young did (rookie of the year), just like RG III did, hell even Tebow had a spectacular playoff vitcory throwing for over 300 yards......they were all figured out pretty quickly.  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

4 minutes ago, eball said:

But he really hopes he's wrong.  :lol:

I don't get why that is funny.  It's simply a case of separating head from heart. I am sceptical about Allen's chances of being a quality NFL starting Quarterback, but that is based on my cold, rational, head.  I desperately want him to be rookie of the year and leading the Bills into the post-season - that is heart.  

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Colin Kap last 4 year QB Ratings, 65.7, 60.9, 43.4, 49.5

JP Losman last 4 years with the Bills  64.9, 84.0, 76,.9, 62.3

Once and for all drop the idiocy Kapernick was a good QB, yeah he got lucky for year year just like Vince Young did (rookie of the year), just like RG III did, hell even Tedow had a specatualer playoff vitory throwing for over 300 yards......they were all figured out pretty quickly.  

Case Closed

Hardly! ESPN QBR is a joke!  IMO, it doesn't provide the true measure of an NFL QB's game and how he performs.

152ic6p.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No follow up by Kryk to Beane on the Kaep comment?  

Also so does Kryk really believe there is any possibility of Allen “not dressing at all” this year, barring injury? That’s nuts.

If you read White Linen's report on the actual interview up-thread, it appears the title of this thead and John Kryk's piece misrepresent what Beane said, which was actually much more generalized "managerese" and hard to followup

Edit: link to White Linen's post

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hardly! ESPN QBR is a joke!  IMO, it doesn't provide the true measure of an NFL QB's game and how he performs.

152ic6p.jpg

I have already corrected my error.  

You keep bringing up he brought his team to the Super Bowl, yeah he did great.  As I mentioned Tebow, RG III, Vince Young all had a great year or great moments, so what.  The league figured them out and/or their skill seriously diminished. 

He was also going to get a gig with the Ravens til his girlfriend likened the Ravens owner to a slave owner.  And now he is suing the league, yep that is EXACTLY who i would want as my employee, someone that is suing me.