What are your shortcomings?

Kind of a broad topic and I'm not talking about physical stuff (i.e birth defects and other acts of God). More along the lines of what traits would you improve on to make you a better person?

1. Patience - I fly off the handle and get frustrated very quickly when things don't go as planned.

2. Empathy- my 28 score isnt a great thing.

3. Intellectually - Ive always been terrible at math. Im doing some training and its frustrating that Im struggling with the same stuff i have since highschool.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Is the topic “What are your shortcomings”?

You can add proofreading to your list. ?

Edit:  you fixed it. 

As for me, I’m lazy. I get by on natural intelligence and ability, but I never really try hard at anything. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Is the topic “What are your shortcomings”?

You can add proofreading to your list. ?

Edit:  you fixed it. 

As for me, I’m lazy. I get by on natural intelligence and ability, but I never really try hard at anything. 

I had about 6 edits to get it right, but I refuse to take the heat on that. On my list of problems thats about # 206. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When I left serving my country,I did too many drugs. Those drugs robbed me of mental emotions. I don't cry when I should,I don't listen enough and I don't tell people I love them when I should.

I know it sounds easy and dismissive, but give yourself a break and work on moving forward into your future. You know I mean that in the best possible way.  Be well and feel free to reach out. 

22 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When I left serving my country,I did too many drugs. Those drugs robbed me of mental emotions. I don't cry when I should,I don't listen enough and I don't tell people I love them when I should.

I never served my country, but I did do some drugs. Nothing that i would consider debilitating or significant enough ro make a huge impact on my life on the whole, but I can relate to the rest of your statemet

"robbed me of mental emotions. I don't cry when I should,I don't listen enough and I don't tell people I love them when I should."

One thing i make sure to do is to tell my wife and kids and mom " I love you" every time we separate.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
Separate is a tricky word.

6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I never served my country, but I did do some drugs. Nothing that i would consider debilitating or significant enough ro make a huge impact on my life on the whole, but I can relate to the rest of your statemet

"robbed me of mental emotions. I don't cry when I should,I don't listen enough and I don't tell people I love them when I should."

One thing i make sure to do is to tell my wife and kids and mom " I love you" every time we separate.

May I suggest adding a hug. I’m telling you, it’s a huge added value. It’s a regular part of our lives that we cherish. You never know when it will be the last time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

May I suggest adding a hug. I’m telling you, it’s a huge added value. It’s a regular part of our lives that we cherish. You never know when it will be the last time. 

I didnt want to come off too sappy, but between you and me we do a kiss in the household. Kids onbthe cheek mamma a little extra.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I didnt want to come off too sappy, but between you and me we do a kiss in the household. Kids onbthe cheek mamma a little extra.

Hard to be TOO sappy with family. Is there anything more important? 

I’m ill tempered, even more so now that I rarely drink.  My tolerance for people who are problematic or disloyal  is very low. I’m impatient. I internalize emotion, both positive and negative way too much, which means that sometimes I spew.  I hold grudges.

Other than that, I’m a hell of a guy.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I could focus more on my passion projects. 

Because what's left of us after we die? What legacy are we passing on?

Our passion. 

If we don't produce anything from our passion, then we're pretty much erased from history. Like we never existed. 

It was all just a waste.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I wish I could focus more on my passion projects. 

Because what's left of us after we die? What legacy are we passing on?

Our passion. 

If we don't produce anything from our passion, then we're pretty much erased from history. Like we never existed. 

It was all just a waste.

What are your passion projects?

I agree that this sort of thing is all that will survive us.

That, and offspring.  Which you could also consider a passion project if you are a good parent and really into parenting/building a strong relationship with your children.

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have a short fuse

The OP said this was not about physical shortcomings. 

I’m a big, lazy, procrastinator. Big time. To the extent that it makes my life very uncomfortable when I start pulling consecutive all nighters like I was back in college in order to meet deadlines. This is increasingly problematic now that I’m in my mid 40s and don’t have the stamina for it anymore. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1) I am OCD as it relates to order, clean house, organization

2) I give advice to my kids and get frustrated when they don’t accept it

3) Impatient

4) I care too much what other’s think of me (have a small business and have to maintain a good reputation) which is painful

5) Anxiety at times 

(feel free to add more here if you know me)......

6)

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

1) I am OCD as it relates to order, clean house, organization

2) I give advice to my kids and get frustrated when they don’t accept it

3) Impatient

4) I care too much what other’s think of me (have a small business and have to maintain a good reputation) which is painful

5) Anxiety at times 

(feel free to add more here if you know me)......

6)

@Nervous Guy, how many things can I safely add without crashing the site?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't always have the best judgment when it comes to other people. Even from my school days, I let my guard down around people that I shouldn't have and paid for it.

I wish I was more self-motivated. I used to get pushed by others having little to no faith in me. As the dissenting voices got quieter, I stagnated.

I wish I was a more intuitive/perceptive person. I spent a lot of time isolated during my more depressed days and it sometimes feels like I've forgotten how to human properly. I don't have a large social circle but I'd like to be a better friend to those that have been there for me in that capacity.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My interests are very narrow as I didn't know who Anthony Bourdain or Kate Spade was until they killed themselves.

I knew, I just didn't care. Which brings us to one of my shortcomings, I guess.

Seriously, I'm way too hard on myself. That has been -- by far -- my biggest obstacle in life.

Edited by Golden Goat

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

What are your passion projects?

I agree that this sort of thing is all that will survive us.

That, and offspring.  Which you could also consider a passion project if you are a good parent and really into parenting/building a strong relationship with your children.

Illustrating and writing. 

My lack of focus is my shortcoming. Sometimes I envy people who can seemingly put intense focus into one thing.

I have long testicles, so I squash them sometimes when I’m sitting on the toilet.

I **** my pants a great deal more than the average 39 year old male.

Sometimes I fantasize about randomly pushing people down in public (grocery stores, restaurants).  I image their reaction and it amuses me.

I have no problem “scolding” poorly supervised/parented children who are being !@#$s while I’m at the playground with my children.

I dislike squirrels.  Rotten little bastards are just climbing rats with fur on their tails.

Sometimes I kick cats that wander into my yard.  Not hard, but just hard enough to show them who’s boss on my property.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

18 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have long testicles, so I squash them sometimes when I’m sitting on the toilet.

I **** my pants a great deal more than the average 39 year old male.

Sometimes I fantasize about randomly pushing people down in public (grocery stores, restaurants).  I image their reaction and it amuses me.

I have no problem “scolding” poorly supervised/parented children who are being !@#$s while I’m at the playground with my children.

I dislike squirrels.  Rotten little bastards are just climbing rats with fur on their tails.

Sometimes I kick cats that wander into my yard.  Not hard, but just hard enough to show them who’s boss on my property.

I think they were looking for something unusual. Except the cat thing....I can never catch them. I think the word is out on me in the cat network....they run away when I come out. 

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

My golf game 

Again, that’s you and everybody else on the plent except a few hundred freaks who seem to have figured it out a bit...until they miss a three footer worth a half million....then THEY feel the same way.  ?

Somewhere along the line I became afraid of heights Im pressure washing my siding today, and am scared **** less when i i get up to abot 18 feet. The damn ladder starts shaking. Im thinking the peak on the second story is just going to have to stay as it is.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Edited by RaoulDuke79

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Somewhere along the line I became afraid of heights Im pressure washing my siding today, and am scared **** less when i i get up to abot 18 feet. The damn ladder starts shaking. Im thinking the peak on the second story is just going to have to stay as it is.

I hate balconies above the third floor. I can be on the edge of a mountain with a one mile drop, and it doesn’t scare me.  Put me inside a tall building, and it takes me a while to be able to look out a window. Put me on a balcony, and I become weak in the knees and imagine myself falling. I can’t explain it. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think they were looking for something unusual. Except the cat thing....I can never catch them. I think the word is out on me in the cat network....they run away when I come out. 

Again, that’s you and everybody else on the plent except a few hundred freaks who seem to have figured it out a bit...until they miss a three footer worth a half million....then THEY feel the same way.  ?

Ha..ain't that the truth! 

I don't like very many people.  Not that I dislike people ... I just don't like very many.

I get pissed off (too pissed off) when I see people doing something stupid.  It could be someone's bad/dangerous driving, or someone leaving their cart in the middle of the aisle whilst looking for the perfect spaghetti sauce.  Inconsiderate/ignorant people bring out the worst in me.

I'm painfully shy in social situations where I don't know many people.

In my professional life, I often feel intimidated, borderline embarrassed, around peers who hold higher degrees than I do (I have an Associate's).  I once went to a professional gathering in Chicago and knew one person out of 50+.  It seemed like all they were talking about was what schools they graduated from.  I avoided everyone.  I ended up speaking to a receptionist for about an hour before quietly leaving.

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't like very many people.  Not that I dislike people ... I just don't like very many.

I get pissed off (too pissed off) when I see people doing something stupid.  It could be someone's bad/dangerous driving, or someone leaving their cart in the middle of the aisle whilst looking for the perfect spaghetti sauce.  Inconsiderate/ignorant people bring out the worst in me.

I'm painfully shy in social situations where I don't know many people.

In my professional life, I often feel intimidated, borderline embarrassed, around peers who hold higher degrees than I do (I have an Associate's).  I once went to a professional gathering in Chicago and knew one person out of 50+.  It seemed like all they were talking about was what schools they graduated from.  I avoided everyone.  I ended up speaking to a receptionist for about an hour before quietly leaving.

My wife was a math major at tiny little Winthrop. She works with a lot of very smart and accomplished people, and she’s intimidated by their educational backgrounds.About 5 years ago she was interviewing for her current position with her current boss. She knew he had gone to Duke and then Harvard. He asked her why she didn’t have any advanced degrees, which struck a nerve. I think she responded along the lines of “I was working to pay the rent and I got most of my education in the real world”. She almost declined the job after that interview. He did not mean it in a negative way, but that’s how it came off. Turns out, he’s just a little awkward. Great guy, but doesn’t always pick up on stuff. 

They get along great now and he LOVES her. He later shared “look, I only got into Duke because I was good at golf, and I only got into Harvard after being a bond trader for a few years and they no longer cared about your grades, because mine were nothing special at all!”  What’s on the surface is often misleading.