Ryan Gates of WGR follows through on quitting job if Bills draft Josh Allen

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Was just listening to Hour 1 of the Night Cap on demand.  Ryan mentioned numerous times how broke he was and how he can't afford this or that.  Clearly this decision was a financial one for him and had nothing at all to do with statement he made regarding Allen. 

I’m sure his decision had much more (or all) to do with this than the drafting of Allen. But he did play it out that way. After they took him he didn’t come to work the next day (maybe already had the day off) and they commented he was MIA. He also tweeted right after something like “I really did like this job”

16 hours ago, jamiezzz said:

...and anyone still listens to wgr, why?   Why does this deserve a thread?  Let's move on...

you do if you can't get cnn or yahoo, not much more than social justice 

commentary on there, yea that and the constant snarky back handed attacks 

on josh allen.

Well, he stood by his words. I may not agree with the logic behind it, but unlike all those morons who say "I'll move to Canada if _______ is elected!" he actually followed through.

So hats off to him for not being a liar.

• Like (+1) 1

Shocked how gullible some people are calling him an idiot like that was literally the reason he is quitting.

From what I hear the pay is garbage and I take this as a funny troll job on the way out, which was happening with or without the drafting of Allen. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Well, he stood by his words. I may not agree with the logic behind it, but unlike all those morons who say "I'll move to Canada if _______ is elected!" he actually followed through.

So hats off to him for not being a liar.

PPl do not base their financial livelyhood over NFL draft picks (unless you are the ones doing the picking)

My guess is this was happening no matter what

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

He definitely was planning on leaving. Radio money sucks starting out. It's tough to move up. Takes a lot of butt kissing. 

That said, yes he can do his corporate job and podcast. Best of both worlds. 

Now the real question is if Allen hits and ends up being a stud QB......what does Ryan say on his pod casts

9 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Lol...not quite what I meant. He DID say he'd quit if we drafted Allen. Seems rather silly, but he's got other opportunities elsewhere. But just the fact that he's doing what he threatened to do , I must say he's a man of his word...even tho I do see it as comical lol

..perhaps a GoFundMe page is in order to keep him outta soup kitchens and standing with a sign at your nearby Interstate exit?......

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..perhaps a GoFundMe page is in order to keep him outta soup kitchens and standing with a sign at your nearby Interstate exit?......

Lol. If he's smart the headline of his sign would say "Big Country" in need of money!

• Haha (+1) 1

Ryan Gates is a straight up idiot. Never heard of him before and now it’s is 15min of fame not going so well. 

Who would hire him now now knowing that he could just get up and leave after he lost an idiotic bet? 

Edited by wppete

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

Ryan Gates is a straight up idiot. Never heard of him before and now it’s is 15min of fame not going so well. 

Who would hire him now now knowing that he could just get up and leave after he lost an idiotic bet? 

yep.   i haven't read all the posts so i don't know what his plans are.  maybe start a podcast with tim graham called idiot hour?

On 6/4/2018 at 7:07 PM, Bob in STL said:

What a buffoon.  

Its Josh Allen...people haven't through on the Bills shades & blindly forgotten how bad this guy was before putting on the blue & Red. I respect this notion...its better then running around here naive because he's part of the team.

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

yep.   i haven't read all the posts so i don't know what his plans are.  maybe start a podcast with tim graham called idiot hour?

??

People change jobs all the time. Nothing wrong with that. But saying he would quit if the Bills drafted Allen was stupid. Doubling down and ostensibly actually doing it is doubly stupid (whether it's the true reason or not). I wanted Rosen but Allen is full value as a legit early first round pick with a  chance to be great. So I question his judgement and ability as an evaluator of football talent as much as I question his behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

People change jobs all the time. Nothing wrong with that. But saying he would quit if the Bills drafted Allen was stupid. Doubling down and ostensibly actually doing it is doubly stupid (whether it's the true reason or not). I wanted Rosen but Allen is full value as a legit early first round pick with a  chance to be great. So I question his judgement and ability as an evaluator of football talent as much as I question his behaviour. 

Dude... we're talking about Josh Allen... not heisman winner Lamar Jackson, not NCAA title winner DeShaun Watson, not Heisman Winner Baker Mayfield... we're talking about Josh Allen who's being compared to EJ Manuel(who had more success against better competition then Allen). It's not hard to evaluate Josh Allen & stake your job on it cause it should have been a no brainer to NOT draft this guy in the 1st. But all you need is one team to fall for the banana in the tailpipe... & of course the Bills would be that team...smh 

12 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Work the board, organize guests, handle commercials, callers, manage the breaks etc. 

Feed tidbits of information to the hosts.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Corporate job

Geico. Those job recruitment ads finally got to him.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Dude... we're talking about Josh Allen... not heisman winner Lamar Jackson, not NCAA title winner DeShaun Watson, not Heisman Winner Baker Mayfield... we're talking about Josh Allen who's being compared to EJ Manuel(who had more success against better competition then Allen). It's not hard to evaluate Josh Allen & stake your job on it cause it should have been a no brainer to NOT draft this guy in the 1st. But all you need is one team to fall for the banana in the tailpipe... & of course the Bills would be that team...smh 

In no way that is meaningful is Josh Allen comparable to EJ Manuel IMO. JA is demonstrably capable of executing in a way that EJ never was. Never.  Forget the stats. Look at the tape. I never wanted EJ. I entirely agreed with Bud Elliot's pre-draft evaluation of him in Tomahawk Nation (a nightmare that came true). I agreed with the Patriot's board that had EJ slotted as a a fifth round pick under the caption "athlete". Josh Allen is 100% legit as a high first round pick. 

Allen can do what EJ never could. He just needs to do it more consistently. That boils down to coaching and patience. The only thing that EJ and JA otherwise have (had) in common is that they are (were) both raw and in need of refinement, but you can say that about all college QBs. Not saying that JA will fully realize his potential, but he has a chance. EJ never did.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

In no way on a meaningful level was Allen compared to Manuel.  You either have an agenda, or you are extremely ignorant.

58 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

ouch man.

Come on....what "corporate job" would he be walking into like that?

Maybe he meant he will be working "for a corporation",  like Starbucks, or Moe's.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2