Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

No, high levels of collagen are needed for joint health and is why bone broth is all the rage.

Also red meat is not unhealthy, this myth needs to die. Grass fed beef is one of the best foods one can eat and has way more nutrients than chicken and fish.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, they're all on their own for the off season, no?

Good question though: how many of their meals are in the team facilities during the season?

Athletes get all kids of different ideas of what's best to eat.  And some of these guys, especially young guys, are all in on wings etc.

That would be the Karlos Williams Diet. 

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He doesn't miss that much time.  He's played in 3 less games than Gronk and Gronk played an additional year.  

Sometimes it feels like he’s in the game and in witness protection at the same time....it’s the craziest thing! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, high levels of collagen are needed for joint health and is why bone broth is all the rage.

Also red meat is not unhealthy, this myth needs to die. Grass fed beef is one of the best foods one can eat and has way more nutrients than chicken and fish.

People can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that feedlot, factory-farmed and grass-fed or free range meats are not the same, nutritionally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

That would be the Karlos Williams Diet. 

Sometimes it feels like he’s in the game and in witness protection at the same time....it’s the craziest thing! 

I know what you mean.  IMO, he's been a decent TE on a team with down right horrible passing statistics.  I just don't know how much more production we should have expected to this point.  He's not great but I'm just not as down on him as others.  

Just now, White Linen said:

I know what you mean.  IMO, he's been a decent TE on a team with down right horrible passing statistics.  I just don't know how much more production we should have expected to this point.  He's not great but I'm just not as down on him as others.  

I don’t think it’s fair to hate on the guy based on what he’s done as a Bill. Who know what he might do for say....the Patriots? I’m not sure how much was on him vs the QB or scheme. And then we play the Dolphins, and I get all confused again. 

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, they're all on their own for the off season, no?

Good question though: how many of their meals are in the team facilities during the season?

Athletes get all kids of different ideas of what's best to eat.  And some of these guys, especially young guys, are all in on wings etc.

you'd better be if you're playing in Buffalo, right?

1 hour ago, elroy16 said:

Yes, I'm sure it was the team nutritionist telling him to eat a bunch of red meat and drink sugary drinks.

lucille-portable.gif

trouble comprehending? the nutritionist has him on a diet of basically just eliminating sugar and maybe some red meat- that's not nearly enough and certainly not plant based.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Oatmeal is a permanent fixture for breakfast for me, got to have complex carbs first thing in the morning, there is no other option. I'm strongly considering a high protein plant based diet but I don't know where to start. My diet has been absolutely garbage for 6 years.

I think plant based would be a lot better diet for most people, simply because it cuts out a lot of fast food and other garbage.

I understand that protein is important, but I think a lot of people focus on that too much. I've never met anyone with a protein deficiency. People usually get plenty, even on a plant based diet. Now, a professional athlete would definitely need more, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that feedlot, factory-farmed and grass-fed or free range meats are not the same, nutritionally.

they all can contribute to heart disease and cancer.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I think plant based would be a lot better diet for most people, simply because it cuts out a lot of fast food and other garbage.

I understand that protein is important, but I think a lot of people focus on that too much. I've never met anyone with a protein deficiency. People usually get plenty, even on a plant based diet. Now, a professional athlete would definitely need more, for sure.

something like 97% percent of the population has enough protein in their diet, about 97% don't have enough fiber, which is very important and not found in meat.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

you'd better be if you're playing in Buffalo, right?

I recall an interview with Bruce Smith where he discussed struggling with diet/fitness initially in Buffalo - going to the Big Tree Inn and eating 200 wings "they were so good".

So yeah, order of wings as an occasional treat - but better NOT be a dietary staple.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Oatmeal is a permanent fixture for breakfast for me, got to have complex carbs first thing in the morning, there is no other option. I'm strongly considering a high protein plant based diet but I don't know where to start. My diet has been absolutely garbage for 6 years.

Don't get fixated on protein, it's one of those urban legend type things. Just eat a normal, healthy diet and you'll have plenty of protein. I've been vegan for years and my protein levels are right where they should be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I recall an interview with Bruce Smith where he discussed struggling with diet/fitness initially in Buffalo - going to the Big Tree Inn and eating 200 wings "they were so good".

So yeah, order of wings as an occasional treat - but better NOT be a dietary staple.

As much as I like a GOOD wing, I rarely order them and an order of 5 is plenty. I had a buddy in town and we went to lunch at a pizza joint. He wanted some wings to go with the pizza. I said I’d only have a couple, so ten should be good. He said leftover would be a good idea (yuck! Not for wings!) so he ordered 20. I ate my 2, he finished the other 18 plus the pizza. I couldn’t do that if I tried. 

BTW - He’s gained over 50 pounds since I moved away about 7 years ago. He also orders the biggest piece of red meat on any menu. This stuff matters. 

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I feel like I should be posting in this thread since it's a thread about veganism and I happen to be one.

There, I posted.

Thank you. That was very helpful!  ?

Edited by Augie

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Don't get fixated on protein, it's one of those urban legend type things. Just eat a normal, healthy diet and you'll have plenty of protein. I've been vegan for years and my protein levels are right where they should be.

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, klos63 said:

trouble comprehending? the nutritionist has him on a diet of basically just eliminating sugar and maybe some red meat- that's not nearly enough and certainly not plant based.

The article clearly doesn't go into enough detail about his diet to make a conclusion of whether he's doing enough or not. Cutting out sugar and cutting back significantly on red meat are two solid steps.  

If to this point, he was eating "a ton of red meat" and drinking sugary drinks, even against the advice of other players, who knows if he's following the nutritionist's most strict diet. They probably came up with a plan that would help him eat better but something he was still comfortable with.

You act like the nutritionist for a professional football team doesn't know what he or she doing. 

5 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

The article clearly doesn't go into enough detail about his diet to make a conclusion of whether he's doing enough or not. Cutting out sugar and cutting back significantly on red meat are two solid steps.  

If to this point, he was eating "a ton of red meat" and drinking sugary drinks, even against the advice of other players, who knows if he's following the nutritionist's most strict diet. They probably came up with a plan that would help him eat better but something he was still comfortable with.

You act like the nutritionist for a professional football team doesn't know what he or she doing. 

Too many "to go turtles"

3 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Yep, doesn't sound like a healthy diet to me, and even though it shouldn't be an issue with Clay's salary, the nutritionist should be able to explain that eating meat and seafood is more expensive than a plant based diet. I don't think Clay wants to go shopping and actually prepare his own meals. That's where it becomes less expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yep, doesn't sound like a healthy diet to me, and even though it shouldn't be an issue with Clay's salary, the nutritionist should be able to explain that eating meat and seafood is more expensive than a plant based diet. I don't think Clay wants to go shopping and actually prepare his own meals. That's where it becomes less expensive.

That's a good point, you can buy 25lbs of rice for $10 and 10lbs of oats for $8. I always get sucked into the protein thing, when I was in my 20s I'd eat 280g of protein a day, my grocery bill was $400 minimum.

36 minutes ago, klos63 said:

they all can contribute to heart disease and cancer.

something like 97% percent of the population has enough protein in their diet, about 97% don't have enough fiber, which is very important and not found in meat.

Yes, I also thought about mentioning fiber. Practically nobody gets enough fiber. Fiber helps regulate blood sugar and absorb sugars more slowly, thus helping reduce the risk of diabetes. No wonder diabetes is so incredibly prevelent these days.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Yes, I also thought about mentioning fiber. Practically nobody gets enough fiber. Fiber helps regulate blood sugar and absorb sugars more slowly, thus helping reduce the risk of diabetes. No wonder diabetes is so incredibly prevelent these days.

I'm sure someone will go off on us for writing about food, but once you start a healthy diet, it's mind boggling that most people eat such unhealthy foods and are almost proud of it. Diabetes, heart disease and cancer are all a growing problem.

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They can't force the players to adhere to whatever diet the nutritionist wants. He said he tried to go vegan, maybe that's what the nutritionist tried to get him to do, but he admitted he couldn't do it.

The article goes into few details of his diet which is why your conclusions about the nutritionist are so funny to me. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

There is a huge difference between what you need, and what professional athletes need though.

Bare minimum, athletes need .8 grams of protein per BW in pounds, and research has even shown 1.2 grams per BW is ideal if trying to gain muscle mass

Edited by billsfan11

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

There is a huge difference between what you need, and what professional athletes need though.

Bare minimum, athletes need 1 gram of protein per BW in pounds, and research has even shown 1.2 grams per BW is ideal.

Some studies say up to 1.8g per lb of bodyweight, but I think most of the research is done by supplement companies. At 210 I was getting in 280g and I was shitting pellets.

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Some studies say up to 1.8g per lb of bodyweight, but I think most of the research is done by supplement companies. At 210 I was getting in 280g and I was shitting pellets.

Haha that’s pretty extreme though.

I train athletes, (not professionals though) and I can’t say I’ve ever heard of 1.8 grams per lbs. I’ve heard 1.8 grams in KGs but not in lbs. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You are incorrect on these matters.  You can get plenty of fast junk food plant based.  French fries are a big example.  I have known plenty of people who were true vegetarians who had protein deficiencies.  This is a big issue for elderly vegetarians for meat is the most efficient way to get proteins especially the essential amino acids proteins provide. 

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...is there a "certain plant" he may be considering?.....

Hint: It’s legal in Colorado and it can be made into edibles.....  If he starts wearing a little sailor hat you know he’s on his new “diet”. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, mattynh said:

Eating plants prevents meniscus tears in the knee when subjected to trauma?

6 million AFTER taxes (he makes like 9 million per)...yeah that does not go that far anymore...inflation is a real thing

He isn't banking 6 million after taxes....

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Fresh produce is cheap. There are some things that are expensive, but the most common produce that people eat are cheap (potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, lettuce -- all cheap).

I'm not vegan, but my family and I eat only a little meat and use mostly fresh produce, along with grains, legumes, etc. We eat very cheaply compared to most people.

I guess if you are trying to have fake meat and dairy and already prepared vegan meals things can get expensive.

Yes, those common things are cheap.

To eat an actual healthy, balanced, nutritious diet, the stuff is expensive, especially when you're a pro athlete who needs 6k+ calories a day.

You also need to supplement full vegan with pills most times for essential vitamins and Amino acids.

Having said that he makes $$$ even after taxes.

He can stuff it.

Edited by SouthNYfan

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

The starter book I recommend for people looking into a whole food plant based diet is the Engine 2: Seven Day Rescue Diet. Lots of great info and crash course in plant based eating. The Engine 2 cookbook is good as well. Even if you can make 50-75% of your meals plant based can have a huge impact. 

Theres no need to be worried about your protein intake. Lots of vegetable based protein options. 

Edited by PirateHookerMD
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It kind of depends?  We were vegetarian for years, now we eat fish as well.  I've had this conversation with a couple buds from college who are confirmed carnivores.  We established they spend significantly less on food than we do.  Yeah, beans and rice and potatoes are inexpensive, but good quality fresh produce can be costly, and vegan ingredients like tofu or tempah etc are considerably more expensive than meats, especially factory farmed meats.

• Like (+1) 1