Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

31 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The starter book I recommend for people looking into a whole food plant based diet is the Engine 2: Seven Day Rescue Diet. Lots of great info and crash course in plant based eating. The Engine 2 cookbook is good as well. Even if you can make 50-75% of your meals plant based can have a huge impact. 

Theres no need to be worried about your protein intake. Lots of vegetable based protein options. 

Good point. Plant based is a lot different than vegan though. I could see myself dramatically cutting down meat, but not completely and eggs are so cheap and packed with quick protein that I don't see myself cutting that out either.

10 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Good point. Plant based is a lot different than vegan though. I could see myself dramatically cutting down meat, but not completely and eggs are so cheap and packed with quick protein that I don't see myself cutting that out either.

yea I don't think hardcore vegan is for most people

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There is a need to balance your amino acids with plant based proteins and most do not have the education to do so.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/amino-acids-balanced-diet-2189.html

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-myth-of-complementary-protein/#gs.urMnkio

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Interesting for I read medical textbooks in college (was a pre Veterinary medicine major) while working in college library and they emphasised this.  

Same in med school. Fairly entrenched dogma. 

Edited by PirateHookerMD

To each his own; however, Im not going to pretend to be too smart and spit in the face of hundreds of thousands of years human evolution. 

My family comes from a mediterranean country where dairy, meat, fish, and poultry are all consumed in moderation and theyre among the longest living people in the world. 

Americans dont know how to do anything in moderation; it’s full bore all the time (to our success and detriment). Give me a 60oz steak, 3 cokes, and an apple pie for dessert. Do we really need 3 hamburger patties and half a pound of bacon on a single burger?

The portion size for meals in the US is ridiculous. Having said that, I do recognize that a problem exists with the mass production of food products. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I live by a simple diet of

chicken

brochally

brown rice

its serving me well so far but my dr wants me to lay off the rice cuz of my diabetes

I’m impressed by the discipline. Great job! My son is a 25 year old fitness freak and that looks like his nightly diet. Good luck with the diabetes. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’m impressed by the discipline. Great job! My son is a 25 year old fitness freak and that looks like his nightly diet. Good luck with the diabetes. 

Is simple but effective.  I am down from 260 to 215 pounds this past year.  

Now am working out the physical damage that left behind in high blood sugar and high blood pressure.....but that is on me and I will get it worked out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Now am working out the physical damage that left behind in high blood sugar and high blood pressure.....but that is on me and I will get it worked out.

Good luck.

It's a really tough thing to do, old habits die hard.

Ms. Dash makes a crap ton of seasonings that are sodium and sugar free.

She's a lifesaver for flavor on a restricted salt intake.

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That must feel SO MUCH BETTER!   Very happy for you. That’s a lot to no longer carry around. I should drop 5-10, but that’s nothing compared to what you’ve done. Need to work on BP next. 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

To each his own; however, Im not going to pretend to be too smart and spit in the face of hundreds of thousands of years human evolution. 

My family comes from a mediterranean country where dairy, meat, fish, and poultry are all consumed in moderation and theyre among the longest living people in the world. 

Americans dont know how to do anything in moderation; it’s full bore all the time (to our success and detriment). Give me a 60oz steak, 3 cokes, and an apple pie for dessert. Do we really need 3 hamburger patties and half a pound of bacon on a single burger?

The portion size for meals in the US is ridiculous. Having said that, I do recognize that a problem exists with the mass production of food products. 

Although I don't promote a diet with dairy , meat and fish, your point of moderation is important, we eat way too much here. Also, research has shown that many of these people in mediterranean countries walk every day. They walk to the store, to church , to relatives.... we eat and watch tv all day

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, McBean said:

#meatheals

Preach!

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Oatmeal is a permanent fixture for breakfast for me, got to have complex carbs first thing in the morning, there is no other option. I'm strongly considering a high protein plant based diet but I don't know where to start. My diet has been absolutely garbage for 6 years.

plant based diet are lacking in vitamins, minerals , Essential Fat, collagen, and quality protein that doesn't come with extra gas.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/10-things-vegetarians-get-wrong

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/vegans-suck-at-science-heres-the-proof

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, klos63 said:

they all can contribute to heart disease and cancer.

something like 97% percent of the population has enough protein in their diet, about 97% don't have enough fiber, which is very important and not found in meat.

no one is saying go on an all meat diet but vegan diets are not as healthy as an omnivore diet and are lacking in nutrients that plants simply can not provide.

saying meat cause cancer is simply false, see above.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Preach!

plant based diet are lacking in vitamins, minerals , Essential Fat, collagen, and quality protein that doesn't come with extra gas.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/10-things-vegetarians-get-wrong

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/vegans-suck-at-science-heres-the-proof

Fake news.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

no one is saying go on an all meat diet but vegan diets are not as healthy as an omnivore diet and are lacking in nutrients that plants simply can not provide.

saying meat cause cancer is simply false, see above.

that's simply false.

Edited by klos63
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Plant based diet? Is that a new term for being a vegetarian?

Not sure.  I think it might just mean "Eat food.  Mostly plants.  Not too much" as Michael Pollan suggested in his bestseller, "In Defense of Food" ie 2/3 of the plate is veggies and salad, good portion of some high quality protein, small portion of whole-grain or starch (quinoa or wild rice or whole-grain bread or sweet potato)

15 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

The heavy bean intake may make you unpopular in social situations.

LOL - Too much Kale and etc, same thing.  One word:  Beano

21 hours ago, klos63 said:

Don't get fixated on protein, it's one of those urban legend type things. Just eat a normal, healthy diet and you'll have plenty of protein. I've been vegan for years and my protein levels are right where they should be.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I have been Whole Food Plant Based for a full year. No meat (beef, poultry, pork, fish, etc.), no dairy. Plus no gluten.

Just got test results and protien and calcium levels are well within the normal range.

Where do you think these guys get protein to grow their muscles?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0gl2WYTD8rt7avPzKk3b

16 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Plant based diet? Is that a new term for being a vegetarian?

The heavy bean intake may make you unpopular in social situations.

NO.

Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) diet means NO meat (beef, poultry, fish, pork, eggs, etc), NO dairy (cheese, milk, butter, anything made with milk products). NO oils. Little to no sugars. Little to no processed foods.

Vegans eat no meat or dairy. They eat oil and sugar.

Vegitarians only cut meat from diet.  They do eat dairy.

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I live by a simple diet of

chicken

brochally

brown rice

its serving me well so far but my dr wants me to lay off the rice cuz of my diabetes

I think that if I'm just eating three foods I'd learn to spell all three.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think that if I'm just eating three foods I'd learn to spell all three.

I just found it perfect that John eats the same three foods every night. He is the only guy I know that can convince himself it will taste good time and time again. Brochally is the best. Chicken made the Pro Bowl. Rice is going to surprise people. 

?

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I have been Whole Food Plant Based for a full year. No meat (beef, poultry, pork, fish, etc.), no dairy. Plus no gluten.

Just got test results and protien and calcium levels are well within the normal range.

NO.

Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) diet means NO meat (beef, poultry, fish, pork, eggs, etc), NO dairy (cheese, milk, butter, anything made with milk products). NO oils. Little to no sugars. Little to no processed foods.

Too bad because eggs are a tremendous source of protein.

27 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Too bad because eggs are a tremendous source of protein.

they are also a cause of high cholesterol which can lead to heart disease. So it's better to get your protein without the heart disease risk.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

they are also a cause of high cholesterol which can lead to heart disease. So it's better to get your protein without the heart disease risk.

Nah, that's an old wive's tale.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/health/eggs-heart-disease-study/index.html

What I would avoid is statin drugs.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Bull shat broccoli is not even a good source of protein, this is the real fake news.

Beans/legumes are the only good source of plant protein, you would have to eat 100 heads of broccoli to get the same amount of protein as a steak and then it would be an incomplete protein.

meat is the beast source of protein because it s muscle, just like the ones our body has.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Bull shat broccoli is not even a good source of protein, this is the real fake news.

Beans/legumes are the only good source of plant protein, you would have to eat 100 heads of broccoli to get the same amount of protein as a steak and then it would be an incomplete protein.

meat is the beast source of protein because it s muscle, just like the ones our body has.

we obviously disagree.  Red meat is also the best source of high cholesterol and heart disease.

1 hour ago, cd1 said:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

NO.

guess what we are not cows. Go ahead and eat grass ALL day and see how that goes.

Veganism is  just another cult.

I'm out.

Just now, nucci said:

we obviously disagree.  Red meat is also the best source of high cholesterol and heart disease.

Wrong sugar, smoking and inactivity are .

cholesterol is not bad for you, learn real science.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/05/does-high-cholesterol-really-cause-heart-disease.aspx

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

In my simple mind I always thought the broccoli was so I can poop

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

In my simple mind I always thought the broccoli was so I can poop

Cook the chicken in extra virgin olive oil, add one package of frozen spinach, mushrooms, garlic, pepper, Italian seasoning. All in one big pan on the stove. 

In in another pan boil your rice, in the third pan goes the water for the broccoli.

Combine all 3 in a big plastic bowl, mix, eat for a week. Yum.