Browns originally offered 35th pick for Foles before going to Plan B for Tyrod

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Okay I guess I'm fine with what we gave up for Edmunds.

I just wonder if we gave up too much to get Allen.

They should have traded up to 5th with Denver to draft Allen for picks 12,22 and a second rounder like the deal Beane originally had in place.

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 hours ago, H2o said:

He must have REALLY wanted to be a starter again. :rolleyes: Honestly though, can you blame him? It's not like the Browns were going to build around him like their Franchise QB. They were still going to take a guy at the top of the board. Next year he will be able to choose his destination and have multiple suitors. 

Yeah, this.

The Browns would have had him as a bridge guy on a middling team. The Eagles have him as a backup on a team with real Super Bowl chances this year. 

Question: Is it possible Foles had some kind of a no-trade clause in his contract? Guys in his situation don't usually get that kind of leverage but is it possible that's the reason Philly asked him?

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If we got anything above a fifth with any team besides the Browns I would've been surprised.  There were too many FA QB's of similar quality out there.

I’m finding it a bit hard to imagine that the Browns just offered pick 65 out of nowhere for Tyrod..

I got a feeling that the Cards offered their third for Tyrod before FA commenced and were outbid by the Browns...

Poor old Cards then ponied up $20 mil for made of glass Bradford as the consolation prize...

51 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m finding it a bit hard to imagine that the Browns just offered pick 65 out of nowhere for Tyrod..

I got a feeling that the Cards offered their third for Tyrod before FA commenced and were outbid by the Browns...

Poor old Cards then ponied up $20 mil for made of glass Bradford as the consolation prize...

They're paying Taylor 16 million this year.  Bradford's contract is front loaded and they only eat five million in dead cap in 2019 if they release him after this season.

I think Dorsey viewed Taylor as similar to Alex Smith in KC (who has now been the bridge QB for two QB's) and was comfortable in overpaying in a trade for him.  We'll never know if there were other players involved.

9 hours ago, Lfod said:

Tyrod plan B? That's going to hurt the feelings of all the Browns fans on this forum. 

I'm not even sure Tyrod was Plan B.

There may have been a few other Plan letters, including another possible vowel

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, this.

The Browns would have had him as a bridge guy on a middling team. The Eagles have him as a backup on a team with real Super Bowl chances this year. 

Question: Is it possible Foles had some kind of a no-trade clause in his contract? Guys in his situation don't usually get that kind of leverage but is it possible that's the reason Philly asked him?

I honestly think it was out of respect for what he did for that team last year. Without Foles they don't win that SB. I think he earned the right in their eyes to have a say in where he went to if being dealt. Just my 2. Now if the Browns came up with a trade package they couldn't refuse it may have been different, but for a single 2nd Round pick I think they gave him the option. 

I think foles was in one of the most unique and amazing qb situations in the nfl last year with the coaches and team he had. 

I guess I’m in the minority in thinking any team that tried trading early or mid 2nds for him dodged a bullet by the eagles declining. 

Im personally real happy we didn’t spend any of our picks or money on foles. 

• Like (+1) 2

Classy move by Philly mgmt to go to Foles with the offer.  Foles gave the city a super bowl championship.  It's only right for them to give him the decision to be a starter on a different team.

It's amazing that a guy that performed at that level - dropping dimes all over the field - on the grandest of stages is not seen as legitimate starter material in the league by anyone.   There is just too much history of him going mediocre for extended periods during the regular season.  You would think somewhat out there would claim to have plan to consistently get him to play at his peak.  

13 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Reminds me of the time the Bills tried to sign Titans backup QB Billy Volek and he declined the chance to start in Buffalo to remain a backup with the Thumbtacks. 

Volektricity! I'd forgotten that proud moment in Bills history. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I honestly think it was out of respect for what he did for that team last year. Without Foles they don't win that SB. I think he earned the right in their eyes to have a say in where he went to if being dealt. Just my 2. Now if the Browns came up with a trade package they couldn't refuse it may have been different, but for a single 2nd Round pick I think they gave him the option. 

Could easily be this, I agree. 

I'm just wondering if anyone knows different. Probably you're right, though.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They're paying Taylor 16 million this year.  Bradford's contract is front loaded and they only eat five million in dead cap in 2019 if they release him after this season.

I think Dorsey viewed Taylor as similar to Alex Smith in KC (who has now been the bridge QB for two QB's) and was comfortable in overpaying in a trade for him.  We'll never know if there were other players involved.

I politely disagree that Alex Smith was ever seen as a bridge QB in either SF or KC. He was there for seven and five years respectively. That's not a bridge QB, but instead a QB they planned to use as a long-term starter but eventually opted out of (and leaving Alex Smith for Kaepernick has been proven a mistake, though it worked out well for them in the long run thanks to the *choke* kindness of Belichick).

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Good for foles. The better move for his career. He can choose his team next year ...maybe jags?

Agree.  When he is team shopping next year he wants a team to remember his Super Bowl run, not being replaced by Mayfield when the Browns explode.

Nick was smart this offseason.   Go with what works.   Stay where you know you can win.   He's been unsuccessful everywhere else in the NFL as a starter.   Now he's making solid money as a backup and will probably start the season in Philly.  I don't blame him. 

11 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

How did we even use the 3rd rounder we got for Tyrod?

I feel like we just wasted it anyway. 

You "feel like" we wasted the pick but you can't be bothered to remember how we used it?

Oh and then Yolo tells you how we used it and you whine about what we gave up for Allen. Classic.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Browns wanted Nick Foles, offering the 35th overall pick to the Eagles for the Super Bowl LII MVP, Mike Silver of NFL Media reports. The Eagles presented the deal to Foles, who said he would prefer to remain in Philadelphia.

The spurned Browns turned to Plan B, sending a third-round pick to the Bills for Tyrod Taylor.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/report-eagles-turned-down-trade-with-browns-who-offered-35th-pick-for-nick-foles/

So Eagles let Foles decide? 

So I guess the Bills were not the team that offered a 2nd round pick for Foles after all? 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Strange move by the Browns if true.

I don't think it's all that strange.  They wanted a guy that could start for a year or two and went after Foles first.  Not a superstar, but better than Tyrod as a fallback position.  It makes sense to me.

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It likely didn’t come with a raise either. He could have played a few games in Cleveland for $9M or potentially a few games in Philly for $9M. I get why Foles elected to stay put.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting to see Foles contract for 2018 after his incentives from last year kicked in.

He is carrying a 13.6 million cap hit with a 8 million Dead Money hit.

Looks like he got 4 million in incentives.

FWIW

• Thank you (+1) 1

If I were Foles, I'd prefer to stay in Cleveland too.

You're basically the hero of that city, played lights out, and have a chance to be a major contributor on a stacked team if Wentz can't play for any reason.

You also have a coach that works his system around the players he has instead of the other way around, which allows you to perform to the best of your abilities.

And he already has experience going to play for a dud coach in a dud system when he played for Fisher in St. Louis. Why go through that mess again when you know you're only being singed as a bridge guy? The second you do something wrong, or a game goes poorly, the blame goes to you & the fans who have no allegiance towards you will be calling for you head. Screw that.

Edited by BigDingus

23 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

It's amazing that a guy that performed at that level - dropping dimes all over the field - on the grandest of stages is not seen as legitimate starter material in the league by anyone.   There is just too much history of him going mediocre for extended periods during the regular season.  You would think somewhat out there would claim to have plan to consistently get him to play at his peak.  

Foles hasn't really been mediocre unless you count those years under Jeff Fisher where he managed to make case keenum look like he belonged in the CFL..Goff a bust 

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good for him.  I always hate when the media goes fishing for a story by baiting athletes looking to draw a steamy quote or two.  Tyrod handled this with his usual class.  Okay, Tyrod was a plan B.  The man's not dumb, he knows Cleveland brought him in as a bridge QB.  Whether he was choice one or one-hundred changes nothing.  TT's goal right now is to bust his rear and try and show he's more then a bridge.  He's going to fight to be a long-term starter, either with Cleveland, or another team.  Regardless of your opinion of the man's on-field ability, I think most people would agree TT handles himself with class off the field, and this is no exception.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is hilarious, sounds like Philly put Cleveland together?

How...

Cleveland approaches for trade and the Eagles are like nah bro we would but he wants to stay...sorry....then the dumb ass "insiders" in Cleveland leak the news and have even more egg on their face