Our QB coach hasn't coached quarterbacks since Ronald Reagan was President...

I don't think anyone is going to look particularly good coaching this Offense this year.  I just don't think 3 guys at QB with such little experience and an OL that just saw the best interior linemen retire and a proven LT get traded (Dawkins I think will be suitable as a replacement, but its an assumption that he will maintain his play from last year, but the results may get better or worse) will be able to be very good or consistent.  And we don't know how the FAs will fit in to the line.  We shall see, but the OL coaching last year was suspect to begin with.

Edited by Ayjent

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Good info, thank you. It is promising that Andy Reid thought enough of him to give him the Assistant Head Coach title in KC.

So between McDermott and Culley, we have 2 of Andy Reid's former Assistant Head Coaches on the QB team, and the OC's previous gig was coaching under Nick Saban for the National Championship. Maybe it's not so bad.

34 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Man if you aren't a homer around here you get ripped. It's sad.

It's a pretty civil discussion in here. Who hurt your feelings?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Trust the process?

I’ll be honest, my trust is waning. But at this point we are committed to seeing this relic of a process through and I’m hoping for the best.

How is this possible with a playoff appearance in YEAR 1? My patience is waning with the armchair gm’s on this board who think they know better than the Bills brass. I’m pretty sure McDermott and co. have a pretty good grasp on their coaches and their coaches capabilities. They will do what’s best for this team, to the best of their ability, which I might add is light years ahead of what you or I might think or know. If the qb coach isn’t up to task, he won’t be there very long. Take a breath, have a beer and a stoge, enjoy the summer and trust that this team in 2 years time will be the best product we’ve had on the team since ‘98. ?

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Last time I will address this because I have 100 times already and can’t keep typing it out lol

Yes, Culley has not been a QB coach for a long time, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t very capable 

Culley is super respected in coaching circles and has the respect of some of the best minds in the game.

He is a technician, and harps on fundamentals and repetition and Xs and Os... he was a savant as a WR coach, all about the details

He brought that 100% to the QB room. I have seen good WR coaches become good QB coaches and vice versa 

He is not a WR coach by trade he is a FOOTBALL coach with vast amounts of knowledge 

I hope your assumptions are correct!

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A QB coach isn't going to make or break a player.  Some teams don't even have a QB coach.  Daboll is going to be his main developer.  

Also, not exactly a source of encouragement 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McBean have talked a lot about Daboll working with Allen and they have said very little about Culley. So I think they expect Daboll to have a lot to do with his development. I still think they should Rob Chudzinski as an offensive assistant, and put him in charge of working with Allen exclusively. He's doing nothing right now and has a relationship with Beane and McDermott. 

He was regarded as a weeney in Carolina and not easy to get along with.

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

...at some college named Southwestern Louisiana.

culley_career.thumb.jpg.0a6cbabbe959cad426572b52785a89fc.jpg

How in the hell am I supposed to have faith that he can develop our project 22 year old QB into something resembling a franchise quarterback?

Daboll has at least coached quarterbacks a couple of times in the current millennium...although to meh results. Not to mention is poor record as an NFL OC. 

We're all supposed to believe that this is all going to turn out just fine and dandy?! Talk about blind faith...

I haven’t heard anything official that says Allen’s development will be put in the hands of A , B or C , 

im pretty sure ( your concern was addressed) before even pulling the trigger on our future franchise HOF  QB !

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Like the 2013 Bills and their rookie QB... :sick:

We do need a good QB coach. Wentz has/had a great one. Prescott has a great one.

The more we can align HC/OC/QB coach to be focused on QB development, the better.

I agree that Daboll will have a big hand in development, but it should be on the QB coach too.

They are coming off the first playoff season in 17 years, and for the first time in franchise history used their 1st overall pick on a top QB prospect. Why is your trust waning now?

I just get the feeling that McBeane are very old school in their approach. I guess this year will be a better indicator.

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

...at some college named Southwestern Louisiana.

culley_career.thumb.jpg.0a6cbabbe959cad426572b52785a89fc.jpg

How in the hell am I supposed to have faith that he can develop our project 22 year old QB into something resembling a franchise quarterback?

Daboll has at least coached quarterbacks a couple of times in the current millennium...although to meh results. Not to mention is poor record as an NFL OC. 

We're all supposed to believe that this is all going to turn out just fine and dandy?! Talk about blind faith...

Trust the Process, sunshine.

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How many millennials not know who Reagan was?

I think I've heard of him. Wasn't he an actor that shot a guy to impress Jodie Foster??

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Last time I will address this because I have 100 times already and can’t keep typing it out lol

Yes, Culley has not been a QB coach for a long time, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t very capable 

Culley is super respected in coaching circles and has the respect of some of the best minds in the game.

He is a technician, and harps on fundamentals and repetition and Xs and Os... he was a savant as a WR coach, all about the details

He brought that 100% to the QB room. I have seen good WR coaches become good QB coaches and vice versa 

He is not a WR coach by trade he is a FOOTBALL coach with vast amounts of knowledge 

...thanks bud....means a helluva lot from someone "in the know" versus the yipping "I don't know squat" gang that thinks they do ..........they're everywhere...like stink bugs....

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks bud....means a helluva lot from someone "in the know" versus the yipping "I don't know squat" gang that thinks they do ..........they're everywhere...like stink bugs....

Obviously Culley is an unknown at this point as a QB coach but he has been a heck of a football coach for 30+ years

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

So, he’s aware of the forward pass?     :)

I’m good.....

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So between McDermott and Culley, we have 2 of Andy Reid's former Assistant Head Coaches on the QB team, and the OC's previous gig was coaching under Nick Saban for the National Championship. Maybe it's not so bad.

It's a pretty civil discussion in here. Who hurt your feelings?

If we are talking QB's and the passing game then Daboll's last gig is nothing to get excited about.  They only managed to top 200 yards passing twice and were pretty much there to not screw it up for the defense.  I think McDemott is a great defensive mind but being assistant to Reid does not in anyway mean he's ready to coach QB's otherwise he would have recognized how bad Dennison was botching the talent management side of OC last year.  Instead he threw Peterman in there who clearly wasn't ready.  I'm neither here nor there on the pick of Allen.  I think he is what they said he is, a great arm talent, good mobility, and a project.  The choice of Daboll as OC on the other hand I've scratched my head at all along.  There is nothing to suggest he's ready to take an NFL offense to the next level.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Correct. I have no idea how Culley will be as a QB coach with the Bills. But if he fails, it will have nothing to do with his lack of recent experience as a QB coach. Some of the best coordinators in the game started out coaching units on the opposite side of the ball.

21 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If we are talking QB's and the passing game then Daboll's last gig is nothing to get excited about.  They only managed to top 200 yards passing twice and were pretty much there to not screw it up for the defense.  I think McDemott is a great defensive mind but being assistant to Reid does not in anyway mean he's ready to coach QB's otherwise he would have recognized how bad Dennison was botching the talent management side of OC last year.  Instead he threw Peterman in there who clearly wasn't ready.  I'm neither here nor there on the pick of Allen.  I think he is what they said he is, a great arm talent, good mobility, and a project.  The choice of Daboll as OC on the other hand I've scratched my head at all along.  There is nothing to suggest he's ready to take an NFL offense to the next level.

Bama's offense is "Bama's Offense". It belongs to Nick Saban, not the OC. Nick Saban brought Daboll in to run Bama's Offense, not Daboll's offense. Ground and pound, and go deep when you can. It says something that Saban trusted him to run their offense.

When that stopped working, Daboll fought to do it his way and finally got permission for the second half of the National Championship. Where he lead an air raid offense and true freshman to put up 3 TDs, 26 pts, and 166 yards passing, again, in one half.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.