Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

44 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

It's similar enough, underqualified, got the job because she's family.

I assumed it was temporary, knowing it's permanent tells me these owners are bush league.

Its not even close to similar. She is an OWNER. It is no different than a CEO stepping in to fill a president role after that president was canned for something wrong. 

Stop the bleeding. Stabalize and Move forward. 

Doesnt matter if someone managed 100K or 100B it is all the same and if someone tells you different they are selling you on false Info

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Lol no dude, women don’t like being propositioned for sex by their boss. No matter how much you just ooze masculinity and raw sexuality, they just want to do their work in peace. 

I'm glad to know you speak for all women. I know several who disagree with you, but I'll make sure to set them straight. 

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Why is okay for Josh Allen to make racial and homophobic statements but it's not ok for Russ Brandon to hook up with a female employee? 

You don't think that a 40+ yr old man that is the president of a company is held to a higher standard than a 15 year old high school kid?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

People are people first, wherever they are.  I don't stop being a man, and a woman does not stop being a woman, no matter where we are; and in today's world we spend more time with the people we work with, at work, then we do anywhere else or with anyone else.  Work makes up the overwhelming majority of most people's entire social circle.  It is OK to make an advance towards someone you find attractive, even at work.

Holy smokes. 

40 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Odds are she is too inexperienced and this puts the franchise farther behind others in the league.  

Really so What does the President of a team do???  

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I'm glad to know you speak for all women. I know several who disagree with you, but I'll make sure to set them straight. 

They may like being propositioned by their boss, they may not like being propositioned by their boss.

It makes no difference. 

Because of the assymmetric power in a boss-subordinate relationship, companies have made a decision (years ago) that is not appropriate

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We just got to agree to disagree here. 

When everyone's happy, it's all cute 'n sweet.  Awwww.  Kittens and flowers.

When the romance goes sour, and it doesn't just distract the participants, it f*cks up the morale on the project team two weeks short of a big deadline, not so cute.

When one party is supervising the other (and note gender there) it causes all sorts of grief - at best, employees who aren't happy about their work assignment or their PR think they were dissed off in favor of The Squeeze.  At worst, it's a LOL (lawsuit on legs) when the supervisee wants out of it and the assymmetrical power thing comes into view

Whether the people involved are happy, willing, and eager really has no bearing on whether it's a good thing for the business

IMO, your views reflect considerable naivete but that's just my opinion.

We're talking about two different things here.

You're talking about the practical complications that can arise in certain situations, which I agree is prudent to consider before getting involved with a coworker. I'm talking about the alleged  immorality of dating a coworker. 

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

You're talking about the practical complications that can arise in certain situations, which I agree is prudent to consider before getting involved with a coworker. I'm talking about the alleged  immorality of dating a coworker. 

AFAIK nobody is saying anything about the morality of dating coworkers. The predominant topics were issues of consent when there is an imbalance of power/position between the two and liability for the company.

• Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Women in the office don't want to do their work in peace, they form cliques and get all catty with each other, and that usually revolves around who gets the attention from the male coworkers.  Their main concerns are what to wear and who will notice it.

Mind answering who is the CEO of Lockheed Martin?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They may like being propositioned by their boss, they may not like being propositioned by their boss.

It makes no difference. 

Because of the assymmetric power in a boss-subordinate relationship, companies have made a decision (years ago) that is not appropriate

I don't think it's always that black and white. As a general rule I agree, but sometimes things happen naturally. I've been involved with a direct superior before and did not feel exploited or taken advantage of in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Perhaps you are misunderstanding what people are saying here. 

Nobody really cares about Bob from Marketing dating Sally from Accounting. 

Bob and Sally can have loads of fun like two consenting adults are want to do. This is not at all what we are talking about here. 

We are talking about someone at the top of the food chain propositioning subordinates. This is bad. This gets you forced to resign in disgrace. How this is even a conversation is eye-opening. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I missed that this was a thread about immorality.  I'm not worried about "immorality" and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much other worry.

I thought it was a thread about Russ Brandon getting fired, allegedly for sexual relationships with his direct reports, with collateral discussion about whether/why sexual relationships with coworkers (especially direct reports) is appropriate.

To me, they aren't, because of the practical complications I mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Think that you missed the point. It makes total sense why she got the job. She isn’t the best person for that job in that building. Those 2 things are both true.

So lets see for You this is what the answer is. 

Well we just fired or forced out our President. Instead of stopping the bleeding, lets just already hire someone to be President within 15 min???  And you talk about your experience leading.

Seriously, why are we even talking about Kim Pegula in this context, beyond that she met with Brandon?

@Rosen-not-Chosen sounds like he's got an agenda with serious beef, since he's trying to redirect the conversation away from what's important here, that being the following:

Brandon is being investigated for sexual harassment / misconduct in the office

Brandon is resigning

The vast majority of fans over the past 10+ years have hated Brandon, and have waited for this day to happen.

Honestly, there's no reason to promote false equivalency by trying to focus attention on Kim, unless @Rosen-not-Chosen has got a hidden agenda. Like others have said on this board, he's either a troll, he's Russ Brandon, or he's both.

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I don't think it's always that black and white. As a general rule I agree, but sometimes things happen naturally. I've been involved with a direct superior before and did not feel exploited or taken advantage of in the slightest.

I'm glad, but your superior was skating (herself, making an assumption here) onto very thin ice with management (for all the reasons previously mentioned), and possibly violating her terms of employment/risking termination.  That's the part that's really pretty cut-and-dried.

24 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Women in the office don't want to do their work in peace, they form cliques and get all catty with each other, and that usually revolves around who gets the attention from the male coworkers.  Their main concerns are what to wear and who will notice it.

Yikes. I'm going to guess you're in high school. You clearly have never worked in an office. Every work place has its share of !@#$s, men and women alike. But most people keep their heads down and do their work, and unless you're a prick everyone will mostly be friendly with you. And office relationships are fine. It isn't hard to see where the line is and not cross it. Russ obviously crossed the line many times and it finally caught up with him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Bob and Sally can have loads of fun like two consenting adults are want to do. This is not at all what we are talking about here. 

We are talking about someone at the top of the food chain propositioning subordinates. This is bad. This gets you forced to resign in disgrace. How this is even a conversation is eye-opening. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I missed that this was a thread about immorality.  I'm not worried about "immorality" and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much other worry.

I thought it was a thread about Russ Brandon getting fired, allegedly for sexual relationships with his direct reports, with collateral discussion about whether/why sexual relationships with coworkers (especially direct reports) is appropriate.

To me, they aren't, because of the practical complications I mentioned.

Some trolls upthread sidetracked the argument to "Chicks dig sex too! We should be able to hit on them!" Unfortunately @Rob's House got caught up in that wash. I think we're all in agreement when it gets down to brass tacks

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So lets see for You this is what the answer is. 

Well we just fired or forced out our President. Instead of stopping the bleeding, lets just already hire someone to be President within 15 min???  And you talk about your experience leading.

Apparently you missed the post before when I said, “it makes total sense. The Pegula’s got burned by Russ so they pulled the reigns back in.” 

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

I hear you, but even it that instance I think it makes a difference whether the person in power is leveraging their relative positions or whether it's genuinely consensual. I get that sometimes those waters get murky and agree that the person in power should exercise caution and avoid initiating when in doubt.

I think we’re arguing about the wrong thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Russ was embezzling assets, or even stealing from the bills and sabres. 

Theres going to be a thorough internal investigation. He could go to jail if he embezzled a significant amount of cash. 

This dude was slime to the highest degree.

we all knew he was a snake oil salesman.

he took advantage of Ralph for crying out loud. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm glad, but your superior was skating (herself, making an assumption here) onto very thin ice with management (for all the reasons previously mentioned), and possibly violating her terms of employment/risking termination.  That's the part that's really pretty cut-and-dried.

I'm just taken aback by the fact that you assumed both my gender and sexuality. I thought I knew you better than that.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think we’re arguing about the wrong thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Russ was embezzling assets, or even stealing from the bills and sabres. 

Theres going to be a thorough internal investigation. He could go to jail if he embezzled a significant amount of cash. 

This dude was slime to the highest degree.

we all knew he was a snake oil salesman.

he took advantage of Ralph for crying out loud. 

Pretty slanderous stuff there.   Better add, "a lot of people say..." to be safe.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Holy Moly... Between Josh's, AJ's mom, AJ's wife... Russ would have run wild!

You go Kim!

That's a great point. Knowing Russ even marginally, it was probably best to get him out of there with that amount of hot ass around. Add in Poyer marrying Rachel Bush...

Bye, Russ!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yikes. I'm going to guess you're in high school. You clearly have never worked in an office. Every work place has its share of !@#$s, men and women alike. But most people keep their heads down and do their work, and unless you're a prick everyone will mostly be friendly with you. And office relationships are fine. It isn't hard to see where the line is and not cross it. Russ obviously crossed the line many times and it finally caught up with him.

If you're a supervisor dating someone who reports to you, there's the line, and you walked across.  It may be consensual; your report may be happy.  But because the imbalance of power between a supervisor and a report always leaves some question as to how free the consent really was and whether it will affect the supervisor's behavior, AFAIK most companies say "no" very explicitly.  As in make you read and sign that you've read all kinds of legal stuff saying "I've been told don't do that and I acknowledge I've been told" explicitly

If you're in different reporting structures or on the same level and you keep it civil and non-disruptive, no one will care.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'm no expert on intra-office relationships, but I am an expert on other stuff.  

Legalities aside, many times, with issues involve office interactions, things are not a problem until someone makes an issue of it.  That seems to be a pretty consistent trend from place to place.  When you dance of the forbidden dance floor, you take your chances.