No more defense....Bills Have Too Many Holes To Fill on Offense

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

There is a need at every position on offense in the draft.  The Bills can't afford to draft any more defensive players.  All offense from here on out.

Walk on down to OBD tonight and be sure to tell Beane and McDermott.  Tell them for all of us because you're on TBD and know better. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

When you reach and don’t go bpa that is how players bust

Come one dude...it's the end of the draft tomorrow.  We need more pop on offense.  Our wide recievers are currently the worst in the NFL, our running backs are old, and the OL is weak.  Plus we could use an upgrade at TE.  Every position.  We have too many holes to fill.  I'm ok with BPA as long as it's BPAOO - Best Player Available On Offense.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

When you reach and don’t go bpa that is how players bust

Ultimately day 3 isn’t about this year anyway. If we are counting on a guy tomorrow to be a big impact we’ve already created abust.

There’s no telling what we need in 2020 so you get the best player you can and figure success anywhere on the field is great down the line.

ill keep floating griffin as a curveball that would round out a major infusion of athleticism at lb behind an influx of DTs protecting them. Could be a hell of a transformation in the middle of the field.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills aren’t going to play Josh Allen this year. That’s why they aren’t reaching for a terrible class of OTs and WRs. 

They will probably take one of each tomorrow but they will probably spend their premium picks next year on what should be a much better WR and OT class. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Come one dude...it's the end of the draft tomorrow.  We need more pop on offense.  Our wide recievers are currently the worst in the NFL, our running backs are old, and the OL is weak.  Plus we could use an upgrade at TE.  Every position.  We have too many holes to fill.  I'm ok with BPA as long as it's BPAOO - Best Player Available On Offense.

If it's there are better defensive players, get the defensive player.  We were not very good on either side of the ball.  We aren't close to contending yet.  When we get closer then you pick for need.  Reason why the Saints gave up a fortune for a DE.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

If it's there are better defensive players, get the defensive player.  We were not very good on either side of the ball.  We aren't close to contending yet.  When we get closer then you pick for need.  Reason why the Saints gave up a fortune for a DE.

No...no...too many holes to fill

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills aren’t going to play Josh Allen this year. That’s why they aren’t reaching for a terrible class of OTs and WRs. 

They will probably take one of each tomorrow but they will probably spend their premium picks next year on what should be a much better WR and OT class. 

I will be shocked if he doesn’t start any games this year.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

No...no...too many holes to fill

Exactly.  That's why you don't handcuff yourself on any one pick by saying we need this side of the ball on this pick.  Get the best guy on the board.  I'd love for it to be an offensive player but nobody was there in the third that I would take over Phillips.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Exactly.  That's why you don't handcuff yourself on any one pick by saying we need this side of the ball on this pick.  Get the best guy on the board.  I'd love for it to be an offensive player but nobody was there in the third that I would take over Phillips.

I liked the Phillips selection but we have a lot of holes to fill on offense.  That’s why I said, starting now is just offense 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I liked the Phillips selection but we have a lot of holes to fill on offense.  That’s why I said, starting now is just offense 

Not this year when we have so many holes to fill.  If the best player on the board is defense, you go defense.  That being said if the best player is offense, jump for joy.  We need both sides, don't block out half of the players on a single pick.

Edited by Buffalo30

39 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

There is a need at every position on offense in the draft.  The Bills can't afford to draft any more defensive players.  All offense from here on out.

Wow, do you like to post topics....They can indeed afford to draft more defense, this isn't a one or two year build project.

53 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I tend to agree.  Got the stud LB Day 1, and who appears to be a solid DT Day 2.

58 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I have to disagree slightly. The defense did have a bad stretch of games, but they also held the Panthers and the Jaguars to 10 point games. Plus they kind of forced a lot of turnovers. I wouldn't have said we were not very good on defense. 

Outside of that 3 game stretch the defense did it's job. 

Held Jets to 13 first game. (Great)

Held Panthers to 9 (Amazing)

Held Broncos to 16 (Awesome)

Held Falcons to 17 (Superb)

Held Bengals to 20 (Decent)

Held Bucs to 27 (Not Great)

Held Raiders to 14 (Spectacular)

Boom 3 game stretch of awful.

Held Chiefs to 10 (Supercalafragulidtic)

Held Pat's to 23 (not great)

Held Colts to 7 (Stellar)

Held Dolphins to 16 (Great)

Patriots killed them 2nd game 37 (Awful)

Dolphins 16 again (Great)

Jaguars held to 10 in a playoff game the offence didn't even play in. (Got the job done)

Edited by Lfod

I think that the biggest holes are OL & WR but I don’t fault the Bills for the Phillips pick. He is the perfect McDermott guy. I’ve been screaming to anyone that will listen that they will get an elite pass rusher in the 2019 draft. This team has a chance to have a great defense at that point. They should sign Bowman to fill out the LB group. By the 2019 season the Bills might have a top 5 defense (and a super young group).

They will potentially have the young franchise QB as well. Now you need to look around the rest of that group and figure out what will the offense look like in 2019? The guys that I am sure will be starting in 2019 on offense are Dawkins and Josh Allen. I am not comfortable putting another guy’s name in ink. On defense it is Star, Philips, Edmunds, Hyde, Poyer, Tre, Murphy and Milano. Clearly they have more needs on offense.

They cannot panic though. If a guy is graded highly and plays defense take him. Talent has to come above need. With that being said there is a lot less talent on the offensive side of the ball. There is an opportunity for some of these guys. I’d like a WR, RB, OL and CB tomorrow if they fit BPA. 

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I have to disagree slightly. The defense did have a bad stretch of games, but they also held the Panthers and the Jaguars to 10 point games. Plus they kind of forced a lot of turnovers. I wouldn't have said we were not very good on defense. 

Outside of that 3 game stretch the defense did it's job. 

They weren't bad but they are nowhere close to the place where McDermott wants them to be.  We picked up some really good pieces so far but if there is a better defensive player there in the fourth round, you gotta take him.  

Our offense is going to be pretty bad this year. We'll have poor protection and receivers, and the most likely candidate to start at QB was backing up Andy Dalton last year. We'll be relying on Shady and our defense to win us games. Next year's draft we will go heavy on offense and hopefully Allen is ready to start in 2019. That's the plan right now.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

They need to draft BPA. If it’s at a position of need then great.

BPA is overblown after round 1 IMO. Once they're past the blue chippers they probably like multiple players at each pick. At that point they can afford to pick based on needs. I would bet we had Phillips ranked much higher than 96 though so they weren't going to pass him up.

Edited by HappyDays