AFC East QBs - I like how it turned out (at this point)

Even though I was disappointed with the Bills selection (I’m getting there, I promise) I was kind of happy with what occurred with our division at the position. First and foremost the Pats didn’t trade up for Rosen despite that thread insisting the Niners owed BB a favor. The Fish didn’t trade up for him either (or any QB) which makes me happy they will go 2nd tier and we get more Tanny. Finally the Jests passed on him despite a lot of pundits saying he was a great fit for their offense and city. He’s in the nfc, and I’ll be able to somewhat ignore if he’s awesome. This is good.

the Jets also got shut out of their reported bae Baker Mayfield, which I’m also very happy about not playing him twice a year. I think I would hate that. 

The Pats are also going 2nd tier in their Brady replacement. No Lamar in our division which is a relief. 

Finally, I really like Darnold. He’s so nice and soft spoken, he’s hard to dislike even in the division. I may end up hating playing him if becomes great, but right now he’s a project like Allen in terms of rawness, and I have time. Glad it wasn’t Rosen or Mayfield.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I fully expect that Gang green, Pats nation and the Dolphins fan group text to Also love that we took Allen, but whatev.

Surprisingly a bit of praise for the Bills move last night with Allen. Not much talk of Edmunds, a few callers complaining the Pats should have taken a backer but teams beating them to the punch. CBS sports gave the Bills an A+ for the pick, Cardinals for an A,  Browns and Jets were in the C range IIRC

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Surprisingly a bit of praise for the Bills move last night with Allen. Not much talk of Edmunds, a few callers complaining the Pats should have taken a backer but teams beating them to the punch. CBS sports gave the Bills an A+ for the pick, Cardinals for an A,  Browns and Jets were in the C range IIRC

The pats where locked in on wynn after the raiders took miller. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills got a good one, I am not sold on Darnold as well USC QB always seem struggle in the NFL.

As for the Pats the two QBs I wanted for them are still there and IMO a better fit for our offense than Jackson was. (Either Rudolph or Laneta)

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Bills got a good one, I am not sold on Darnold as well USC QB always seem struggle in the NFL.

As for the Pats the two QBs I wanted for them are still there and IMP a better fit for our offense than Jackson was. (Either Rudolph or Laneta)

I fully expect them to take one of those guys

The idea that the patriots where gonna move into the top 15 or even move up for that matter was bs. Belichick dosent move up. He values his draft picks and wasnt given 2-3 picks to move up. The only thing the pats wpuld have done is move back to gain picks. Since belichick has been there this has been his mo

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even though I was disappointed with the Bills selection (I’m getting there, I promise) I was kind of happy with what occurred with our division at the position. First and foremost the Pats didn’t trade up for Rosen despite that thread insisting the Niners owed BB a favor. The Fish didn’t trade up for him either (or any QB) which makes me happy they will go 2nd tier and we get more Tanny. Finally the Jests passed on him despite a lot of pundits saying he was a great fit for their offense and city. He’s in the nfc, and I’ll be able to somewhat ignore if he’s awesome. This is good.

the Jets also got shut out of their reported bae Baker Mayfield, which I’m also very happy about not playing him twice a year. I think I would hate that. 

The Pats are also going 2nd tier in their Brady replacement. No Lamar in our division which is a relief. 

Finally, I really like Darnold. He’s so nice and soft spoken, he’s hard to dislike even in the division. I may end up hating playing him if becomes great, but right now he’s a project like Allen in terms of rawness, and I have time. Glad it wasn’t Rosen or Mayfield.

Fair take.

1 minute ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

Tre White will be eating up Darnold's passes for years to come ... can't wait!!

That could be. Also might follow up the butt fumble with his usc bro Sanchez. He might have a rough start, still see him having a high ceiling. The question is will he get the time? They never let Hack take a snap. 

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

excellent post my friend. Loved it. 

8 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

The idea that the patriots where gonna move into the top 15 or even move up for that matter was bs. Belichick dosent move up. He values his draft picks and wasnt given 2-3 picks to move up. The only thing the pats wpuld have done is move back to gain picks. Since belichick has been there this has been his mo

The Pats value their draft picks as little as any team in the league. They trade them away all the time for players.

I do agree that they see them as assets and wouldn't want to get rid of them for unproven talent, but sometimes it seems like they don't care about rookies as much as other teams do.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The Pats value their draft picks as little as any team in the league. They trade them away all the time for players.

I do agree that they see them as assets and wouldn't want to get rid of them for unproven talent, but sometimes it seems like they don't care about rookies as much as other teams do.

Last few years you are right. But it makes sense, you have an aging QB who is arguably one of the greatest of all time. You are in a win now mode,

so you use your picks for established talent.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing I was always concerned about with Darnold was the turnovers

And frankly......the jets is where QBs go to die......

That's the truth. They have basically never had a franchise guy. Their best QB in franchise history threw more interceptions than TD's, but he did win them a Superbowl.

I don't know...I think Darnold will be a good one. If I'm the Jets, I can live with the turnovers in college. Sometimes you have to fail to know how to succeed, and it's much better to get those mistakes out of the way earlier (so long as they're learned from).  It tells a QB "Okay, I can't do that

IMO, he'll be more "Favre-like" than Mayfield. He throws guys open, and isn't afraid to take some risks. He trusts his arm. Pass catchers will love that and love playing with him. He'll give his guys a chance to make a play on the ball. 

There's still some raw parts to his game, but he's probably the most "complete" QB in the draft. Add in the confidence you see in his play, and I think he's the most "can't miss" QB in the draft.

To the point made in the OP, I do agree, but Allen is really the epitome of "boom or bust" IMO. He has the tools, especially for playing in Buffalo, but the accuracy has to improve. My train of thought is that, if a QB has less than about 62% completions in college, you should stay away. However, Allen didn't exactly have the best talent around him to work with. Beane mentioned yesterday that Allen looked much better at the senior bowl with better talent, and it's that idea that I'm holding on to. But as of right now, the Bills are lacking at WR, so that has to be a focal point going forward. 

32 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Pats fans like our pick of Allen, Jets fans laughed. I trust Pats fans more. ^_^ 

Why would you trust Pats fans over Jets fans? They're much more "fair weather" IMO. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Re the Jets - Darnold at #3 or Rosen at #6 + 3 second round picks?

The draft is funny business. You can't go off of hindsight to justify your point. Rosen was expected to go much earlier than he did, so the Jets did what they had to to put themselves in a better position to not miss out. They didn't want to have to potentially "settle" at 6. 

I've read the same kind of thing regarding Allen. People are complaining that the Bills could have gotten him at 12 and not had to give up picks, but that's a hindsight idea. There's no way to know what the Dolphins would have done, or Cardinals would have done, had the Bills not moved up. 

I was just thrilled that Rosen didn't drop into the Dolphins lap. 

I was angry enough that we passed over Rosen (at the time, I am much more in board with Allen now than I was then). I would have really lost it if Rosen dropped right the Fins at 11... 

So I was really happy when Arizona traded up to 10! lol 

I was so high on Rosen and Darnold before the draft (which is something I never do. I hate getting locked in on any 1 player because the chances the Bills take that player are slim). It would have really sucked to see both on other AFCE teams. I was never worried about the Pats taking any of the top 4 though. It never made sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Since the Patriots drafted him he will be a star obviously and better tham Allen.

Oh, it's a stroke of brilliance for sure and classic Belichick. In case you're wondering, " classic Belichick" is a term used ( glowingly) by the media that is defined as follows: A move Belichick has made in the past therefore it is genius OR a move Belichick has never made in the past so therefore it's brilliant. In a Jedi mind- trick sort of way. 

Pretty sure all along the Jets draft board was Darnold first all the way and then Rosen and then Mayfield. Jets never thought they would have a shot at Darnold because Cleveland was going to grab him and if not the Giants would. The only QB they didn't want was Josh Allen - didn't fit their system that well. The Jets 'fake' love of Baker Mayfield may have induced the Browns to draft him first and not wait until 4th. No way were the Jets going to take Mayfield unless Darnold AND Rosen were off the board.   

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We gotta get Darnold out of the league....the Cheats and Sushi have no qb future...

Darnold is going to dominate the AFC East once Brady retires. The Jets have some really good young players and a ton of cap room next year too. Add a couple of O-lineman, a pass rusher in free agency and they'll be good to go. After this year, watch out for the Jets.

Interesting tidbit: The last time the Giants and Jets were in this position in the draft - when the Giants were ahead of the Jets at the top of the first round, the Giants took a running back and the Jets took Namath. The Giants GM wanted Namath but the owners handed in the card with the RB's name five minutes before it was their turn. The GM still regrets it. Painful for the Giants because Namath took NYC by storm and was the first real superstar football player in the NFL - babes, huge publicity, etc.

On 2018-04-27 at 8:42 AM, LeGOATski said:

Me too. I think Darnold's gonna have a rough time with turnovers in the NFL.

That is our secondary’s specialty.

Darnold vs Allen is going to decide this division for a long time. I hope we got the better guy.

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was just thrilled that Rosen didn't drop into the Dolphins lap. 

I was angry enough that we passed over Rosen (at the time, I am much more in board with Allen now than I was then). I would have really lost it if Rosen dropped right the Fins at 11... 

So I was really happy when Arizona traded up to 10! lol 

I was so high on Rosen and Darnold before the draft (which is something I never do. I hate getting locked in on any 1 player because the chances the Bills take that player are slim). It would have really sucked to see both on other AFCE teams. I was never worried about the Pats taking any of the top 4 though. It never made sense. 

I will say that Rosen’s post draft interview was pretty embarrassing. He might have trouble leading an NFL lockeroom. I was pretty high on him after watching film, but I am fine rolling the dice on Allen now. 

• Like (+1) 1