A Lot Of Unhappy Browns Fans Also ...

If you had told me a week ago the Bills would walk out of night 1 with Baker & Ward and the Browns would walk out with Allen & Edmunds, I could have found a way to believe you.  That one team did it starting at 12 & 22 and the other did it staying at 1 & 4 fully sums up my thoughts on the Browns night.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

Cleveland passes over Fitzpatrick and Chubb for a undersized CB... the QB pick aside, they loved what Mayfield brought in competitiveness and acuracy... that 4th selection could be one of the biggest whiffs in recent draft history, just because you need a CB doesn’t mean you pass on no brainer elite defensive propsects... Jesus Cleveland, I sure hope you were right, Elway says thank you... 

• Like (+1) 1

Ward is the best CB in the draft I liked that pick a lot I wanted Chubb but he would have been more of a luxury pick with us having Garrett and Ogbah already ... Hopefully we fill a couple more needs today with 33, 35, and 64 :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

Surprisingly I'm not so upset, I thought I would be but Mayfield may just be the ointment we have been looking for all these years ...

I watched the first round at work with a Browns fan who was stoked by the way it panned out. He wanted Mayfield months ago, and was pretty sad he didn't think the Browns would actually go for him. I was happy seeing how excited he got about him, I hope he pans out for you guys. As for Ward over Chubb, it makes sense. Ward is a solid man cover guy, and it eliminates the need to shell out an insane amount of money to both Chubb and Garrett in a few years. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

Surprisingly I'm not so upset, I thought I would be but Mayfield may just be the ointment we have been looking for all these years ...

I think there's an argument to be made that Mayfield is the best QB in the draft.  He's certainly the #1 choice based on various analytics, so if the Browns are trying to be analytics-driven and not so swayed by physical traits, they just may have picked the right guy.

Interesting times!

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

Ward is the best CB in the draft I liked that pick a lot I wanted Chubb but he would have been more of a luxury pick with us having Garrett and Ogbah already ... Hopefully we fill a couple more needs today with 33, 35, and 64 :)

Yup; the Browns really need a CB and they are pretty well set at pass rusher. 

I'm glad the Browns didn't select Chubb at 4. It seems the Bills had a deal with the Broncos in place, and the Broncos decided not to go through with it because Chubb was on the board. That means the Bills take Allen at 5 , presumably for a higher price. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I were Cleveland I would have taken a generational talent in Barkley at 1 and then taken the best QB remaining at 4. Probably would have had the pick of 3 of them assuming Giants went Chubb. Silly Browns. They also could have taken anything to move down a few picks if they wanted the CB.

14 minutes ago, foreboding said:

If I were Cleveland I would have taken a generational talent in Barkley at 1 and then taken the best QB remaining at 4. Probably would have had the pick of 3 of them assuming Giants went Chubb. Silly Browns. They also could have taken anything to move down a few picks if they wanted the CB.

The last time I heard generational talent it was attached to Sammy Watkins.  YIKES!!

12 hours ago, B-Large said:

Cleveland passes over Fitzpatrick and Chubb for a undersized CB... the QB pick aside, they loved what Mayfield brought in competitiveness and acuracy... that 4th selection could be one of the biggest whiffs in recent draft history, just because you need a CB doesn’t mean you pass on no brainer elite defensive propsects... Jesus Cleveland, I sure hope you were right, Elway says thank you... 

Ward will turn out to be a good player but one would think they could have called Denver or Indy to shop the pick.

1 hour ago, ThunderGun said:

How do you not pick Chubb to lineup across from Garrett... mind boggling. Definitely Brownsed that one up good.

Because Ogbah is a damn good DE in his own right. Good pass rusher and great against the run. 

I'll defend passing on Chubb.  Just from a salary cap standpoint, if Garrett and Chubb were both amazing, which is a good problem to have, their contracts would be coming up one year apart and they'd both command around 16-18m per year, maybe more in 4 years?  You can't invest 40m in DEs.  I don't think it's ever a good idea to take the same position in the first round two years in a row, because if they both work out you can rarely afford to pay both.  Kind of like Winfield and Clements, they weren't drafted two years in a row, 1999 and 2001, but we couldn't pay both ... it seems to work that way.

Garrett and Chubb might have been great, but would you take Chubb knowing that you'd only have that combo for 3-4 years?  Sure, there are a bunch of different ways it can go, but all I'm saying is I understand some of the logic behind passing on Chubb.

15 hours ago, rodneykm said:

I didn't get the CB pick that high...but maybe the kid is special. I've not seen him play. 

Ward is a straight beast.  He's excellent in coverage.  He's not the biggest, but he willingly gets the pads poppin' too.  Good on special teams as well.  Not really shock he went in top 10.  But Chubb with Garrett could have put QBs in the matrix. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Mayfield  over Darnold  and Rosen? Ward over Chubb is a catastrophe.

Same old Browns

I think Mayfield is/was the best QB in the draft.  I thought it was a good pick.  The Ward pick blows my mind.  A DE with Chubb's talent vs a CB?  Mind blowing.  How many CBs are worth a top 5 pick.  This Century I can think of Revis.  But, he went mid teens.  One of the problems with drafting a CB that high is if you hit on that CB when you resign them you are looking at $15 million a year.  I don't think you should use that cap space on a CB.  Another is CBs typically have a shorter prime to their careers.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Because Ogbah is a damn good DE in his own right. Good pass rusher and great against the run. 

So?  Draft the ELITE pass rusher, and either deal Ogbah then use that pick to address the secondary, or better yet, just have a SICK pass rushing rotation similar to what the Giants had during their most recent SB wins, or the Broncos with Miller/Ware, except you'd have all 3 in the prime of their careers whereas Demarcus was on the tail end of his... No way you ever pass on the elite pass rusher, especially for an undersized DB... Besides, Ogbah has 9.5 career sacks, no way I'm passing on Chubb for that.

16 hours ago, B-Large said:

Agreed, unless I am missing something!

16 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Do you think if they drafted Barkley at number one, Mayfield would have been there at number four? 

I don’t think so

4 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

How do you not pick Chubb to lineup across from Garrett... mind boggling. Definitely Brownsed that one up good.

Agreed, mind blown!  Trade down if you want Ward.  But, I still think that wouldn’t have been there best move!

Edited by Manther

18 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

The last time I heard generational talent it was attached to Sammy Watkins.  YIKES!!

Reggie Bush and Robert Gallery come to mind as once in a decade talent at RB and LT in drafts past.  There are no sure things in the draft.