RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

8 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Tell you what ... the Bills could have turned that draft pick into Martavius Bryant, kept the 22nd pick in the draft, and walked away with a future multiple Pro Bowl OL in Isaiah Wynn. 

Instead, Wynn is going to obliterate Bills players the way Logan Mankins did for years. Best offensive linemen in the draft, to the Patriots. 

I am a UGA fan and agree Wynn is great. Belichick went to UGA earlier this month and I am sure he found out everything he needed to know about Wynn there. 

I will take the Edmunds pick over Wynn. I am a huge Oline believer but also think McDermott deserves a LB he can use.

24 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He was my least favorite out of the 4. But this FO has done a lot of “right” so far. Why stop trusting them now? Do people think that beane doesn’t know his job is probably tied to this? I’m sure he freaking knows. 

I totally understand not agreeing with the pick but people on here saying they know he’s gonna bust and that this will be what sinks the ship honestly are just moronic. 

Yup. Trading up for a project QB always works out. Happens regularly. Clearly they know nothing about offense. And Arizona is laughing.

Edited by MURPHD6

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They all got drafted high because they can throw the ball really far while lacking accuracy. 

If you subtract all the bubble screens and dump offs from the other top QB's you might find similar numbers/ completion ratio as Josh Allen.

The other top prospects also had a better supporting cast.

You get that right?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The 2 concussions in 3 games Mayfield had didn’t spook the Browns

I hope you’re right

Bakers were in 2016 and had a whole season to show it wasn't plaguing him.  Rosen were both this year plus the other injury...so it matters more when looking at Rosen because you don't know how he will respond next year.  

Not to mention, no one had to call around to figure out how to "get through" to Baker or manage Bakers personality like they did with Rosen.  In fact, its pretty telling 3 QB needy teams chose other QB's over Rosen...not to mention 2 teams that could have also taken him (Giants and Broncos) felt he wasn't worth taking over other prospects.  

14 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You realize he's not going to be playing against mountain West talent with the Bills next year right? The Bills by NFL standards are weak at skill positions.

But when you can't defend your position just call someone drunk, you sound like an idiot. You lack basic logic.

How do I disprove a negative? I said I DON'T KNOW, NEITHER DOES JROBER. Nobody knows if it's a hit or miss yet! 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The 2 concussions in 3 games Mayfield had didn’t spook the Browns

If anything the one trend with McBeane is the premium they place on on-field availability. Their choice was between the two Josh's and I am willing to bet Allen's likely availability put him above Rosen. Mayfield is not related to the point I was trying to make. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen is rated higher than Rosen almost everywhere that i have seen.  And since none of us know ANYTHING compared to the diligence the Bills did why not just get behind Allen.  He is in fact our QB and has done nothing wrong on the field for us.  I have never seen so much irrational love for a player as this board has expressed for Rosen.  He was there but WE DID NOT WANT HIM.  End of story.  If years prove it a mistake you can crow about it later.  But you can't possibly be correct tonight so get over Rosen, he ain't playing here - never, ever, ever.  Except on a visiting team.  Suck it up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

If you subtract all the bubble screens and dump offs from the other top QB's you might find similar numbers/ completion ratio as Josh Allen.

You get that right?

Wait, just wait for him to take the field. And You will see bubble screens flying over the recievers head. But he is....tall.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

You get that right?

joshallen.thumb.PNG.9dff9b17b743145dc5c1745f289c6ecf.PNG

Has he always had a bad supporting cast or is he just inaccurate?

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MURPHD6 said:

Wait, just wait for him to take the field. And You will see bubble screens flying over the recievers head. But he is....tall.

He also has played in snow, so there is that.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect Biscuit, but the "Bills aren't a franchise that is known for developing QB's" is just utter nonsense.  This regime has been here one season.  What happened in the history of the franchise has literally zero factual impact on today.  We have no idea how good or bad this regime will be at developing a QB, but we do know the past failures of older regimes do not in any way factor into this one.  

And sorry, but I could not disagree more about your "who cares" about how Allen had the best offseason by far.  The truth is, the ONLY QB who had a great season was Baker.  Rosen had a terrible record with 2 concussions, and Darnold disappointed and was a mistake and turnover machine.  All of them have risks and faults...and when teams need to call around to find out how to manage your personality, engage you, and manage you mentally (Rosen) then thats a red flag on its own.  

So lets not over exaggerate the other prospects as if they were slam dunks, none of them were.  And with a young QB in the offseason, seeing a guy come out and wow you over the others, show improvement in the areas listed in the areas they need to improve, etc is very relevant.  

Totally respect you as a poster, so mean no disrespect to you in this response.  But...if you are going to ask me whose opinion I trust...a bunch of arm chair GM's who haven't done even a fraction of real due diligence on these QB's...or the entire regime of the Bills who spent thousands of man hours researching, watching, interviewing, etc of these kids...I will lean towards the professionals opinion.  

And thus far, Beane has done a LOT to earn his trust.  Your comment about "backing into the playoffs" is irrelevant to the job Beane has done.  He has leveraged all kinds of value for this franchise, made incredible moves, found great value last year in guys like Micah and Power, etc.  So far, he's done everything to earn our trust IMO.  

I think you’re a good poster too.  And no offense since I used to be like that, but you’re also a bit of a homer. And I mean that as a compliment.

1) Rosen literally played with one of the worst defenses in college.  He had to put 30-40 points every game to even have a chance for his team to win.

2) I love and hate the offseason.  The idea that guys rise and fall in the offseason months after their last games blows my mind.  So yeah, I put little stock into his accuracy improving in shorts.

3) A lot of accuracy is muscle memory.  While this can be slightly improved, I think it is more challenging to get consistent with it than people realize.  For example, I am capable of hitting some great golf shots.  However, I will never be on the PGA because I lack consistency.  I think the EJ comparison is valid because he was about as hard of worker as the Bills have ever had. He just lacked the muscle memory to ever been consistent.

4) I respect Beane’s rise.  But let’s not act like these guys are Gods.  They miss all the tome.  There are plenty of examples of this message board being right over nfl GMs (I remember people loving Russell Wilson).

the nfl is about nepotism.  Bill Polian basicslly got like 10 guys from Saint Francis High School nfl jobs because they were friends with his son.

so I hate being negative but I need to be consistent.  I was against this from the beginning. I don’t question how hard he will work or how much research the Bills did. I just didn’t see it from this guy and it seems like a huge risk, especially when I saw games where Rosen looked like Aaron Rodgers.

but I pray you’re right and I’m wrong!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea but Mahomes isn't 6' 4" like Allen. And Allens played a lot in the snow. 

That's what makes a great QB.

You forgot to include [/sarcasmfont]. 

Here's two names that Buffalo Bills fans should remember:
Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows. You see, that's how a truly brilliant GM develops an organization through the draft. That's how you go to the HoF as a GM. You don't bring in projects, denude the team of talent and draft picks, watch the offensive line retire, and pick up bull **** WRs to supplement head cases. 

I need some time for mourning. I'll be cheering every Sunday and hoping this fine young man does us proud but tonight ... this turned out so close to being exactly what I thought would happen. So close. 

1 hour ago, OJABBA said:

You're "confused" about Rosen being a prick?

Josh Rosen, on getting drafted by the Cardinals: “I dodged getting drafted by the Browns, Jets, AND Bills. I’m the luckiest man on earth.”

He is, and will continue too be an !@#$.

Thats not a real quote. You’re everything that’s wrong with our society today. Listen more, learn, and talk less.

Mayock, Walter Football and countless other draft guys have Allen ranked as the #2 QB. I am not totally sold on him either, but I've seen some of his games and he's got some impressive ability. Needs some work, OK with him sitting if he has to. Let's get behind the kid and win some Lombardis dangit!

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say it right now , I hated the pick. Face palmed it in a bar draft party. After the dust has settled, I'm trying to talk myself into it. I need it fascinating that they had a choice and passed on Rosen. Absolutely stunned. I wonder what the determining factors in that choice ?  I guess it's better than say, AZ moving up and making the choice for you. The Bills weren't getting the second pick without giving up the farm, but they could have. Were the Giants just unwilling to move? Did the Bills want Darnold ?  I'm disappointed , but I'll just give Allen every chance to prove he doesn't suck before I decide that he does. Rosen seemed like the safe pick to me, and I guess BBFS will make you gravitate to that because you just don't want them to be wrong. A GM will probably see that differently. Beane and Co have staked their future on this kid, so they'd better be right. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you’re a good poster too.  And no offense since I used to be like that, but you’re also a bit of a homer. And I mean that as a compliment.

1) Rosen literally played with one of the worst defenses in college.  He had to put 30-40 points every game to even have a chance for his team to win.

2) I love and hate the offseason.  The idea that guys rise and fall in the offseason months after their last games blows my mind.  So yeah, I put little stock into his accuracy improving in shorts.

3) A lot of accuracy is muscle memory.  While this can be slightly improved, I think it is more challenging to get consistent with it than people realize.  For example, I am capable of hitting some great golf shots.  However, I will never be on the PGA because I lack consistency.  I think the EJ comparison is valid because he was about as hard of worker as the Bills have ever had. He just lacked the muscle memory to ever been consistent.

4) I respect Beane’s rise.  But let’s not act like these guys are Gods.  They miss all the tome.  There are plenty of examples of this message board being right over nfl GMs (I remember people loving Russell Wilson).

the nfl is about nepotism.  Bill Polian basicslly got like 10 guys from Saint Francis High School nfl jobs because they were friends with his son.

so I hate being negative but I need to be consistent.  I was against this from the beginning. I don’t question how hard he will work or how much research the Bills did. I just didn’t see it from this guy and it seems like a huge risk, especially when I saw games where Rosen looked like Aaron Rodgers.

but I pray you’re right and I’m wrong!

All good brother, and listen, Allen was NOT my choice either.  However, I had Rosen and Allen about the same on my risk board and Lamar right there with them.  The only QB I was very high on was Baker.  

So, for me, its not about being a homer...its about not seeing one QB so far over the other that I am upset at who we got.  I was actually quite against Allen going into the offseason, but I even admitted in threads that his offseason had actually started to sway me and wowed me.  I am not a guy who likes "combine heroes" but Allen had undisputedly the best workouts and combine and shown great improvement in areas he was working on.  And thats what you want to see, guys making progress and quickly.  

And also, the inaccuracy issue is over exaggerated a bit when you look at the garbage Allen played with and all the dropped passes, weak routes, etc.  There are GM's on record saying he was by far the best QB prospect in this draft (even though I didn't share that opinion personally).

So, at the end of the day...I don't see why its necessary to freak out today.  I mean a couple hours ago, he was looking to go top 4, maybe even #1 overall.  So there is still a lot to like about the kid.  Spending time now trying to make a case for him to be a bust is futile...hes a Bill...our regime loved him for a reason.  So lets just be stoked we got a new QB with a huge ceiling and a great LB prospect too and wait to judge him after he shows us what he can do with pads on.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Trying to find a silver lining about Josh Allen: 

Mayock had Wentz as his No. 1 QB. Same with Allen. Okay, I think Mayock is pretty bad, but this is promising.

Allen's HC at WY is the same HC who recruited Wentz at ND State. Hmmmmmmmm

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can he improve like Wentz did?

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

I was afraid we would be stuck with "what's left" - be it Rosen or Allen.  We played it right, near perfect, didn't overpay and had our choice of the two and took Allen.  We should all be psyched, regardless of who we wanted, until Bills are proven wrong.  They identified their guy and went and got him.  They did not want Rosen.  Wishing the Rosen kid the best since he is not in our conference, but we got our man.  That is all one can ask for at this point.  Time will tell if we are right.  

I know this probably is not the time with everyone wanting to jump out of windows but........................

Can the Bill's get a guy like Jordan Palmer to work with Allen?

They seem to have worked together well (I remember Mayock saying that at Allen's Pro Day).

Mayock commented on Josh's improvement of footwork.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Mayock had Wentz as his No. 1 QB. Same with Allen. Okay, I think Mayock is pretty bad, but this is promising.

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can improve like Wentz did?

Yes.

I don't care what any of you idiots say, none you you know what you're talking about, some of you who claimed you did would actually be too busy actually working what you claim do be doing to be actually on two bill's drive. Go  Bill's! Trust the process!!!!

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can improve like Wentz did?

Mayock had Allen #2. 

LOL so many silly geese in this thread. 

There were like zero mock drafts that had Allen outside of pick #10 in Round 1. 

There were a lot of professional (read: they get paid for their opinions) NFL talent evaluators that considered him the #1 prospect this year. 

But the silly geese here already know he will never play a down in the NFL and is guaranteed to fail. 

LOL again. The echo chamber here is ultra strong. The silly temper tantrums folks are throwing because they got the wrong top 10 prospect are entertaining. Please do continue with the salty tears. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, twist_to_open said:

I don't care what any of you idiots say, none you you know what you're talking about, some of you who claimed you did would actually be too busy actually working what you claim do be doing to be actually on two bill's drive. Go  Bill's! Trust the process!!!!

This kind of comment is so ignorant and retarded. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Mayock had Allen #2. 

DOH! 

18 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Yup. Trading up for a project QB always works out. Happens regularly. Clearly they know nothing about offense. And Arizona is laughing.

AZ wanted Allen 1st - per Rapoport