Two Prospects Have Sustained Serious Injury During Private Team Workouts

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Injuries will happen training, in private workouts, or practice. Let's not overreact. It's part of the game. 

I agree here, it most likely would have happened during rookie camp.  However if I am an agent I probably tell my guy not to workout outside of their pro-day or the combine if they get an invite.   At the very least, if it happens during training camp you have a signed contract with the teams insurance covering you.

• Like (+1) 7

I wonder why the team's need those workouts. They should have already seen these guys at their pro day and at the combine, unless it's a guy that didn't get invited to the combine.

Seems duplicative to me. I'd rather get him in the film room and see what his brain has to offer.

• Like (+1) 5

If this is your big shot at a paycheck, you really should be careful before you even get drafted.

It is a catch-22 for them.  Don't work out and it may hurt your draft status, do work out and you could blow a knee and be done before you are drafted.  I know some of these players pay for insurance for this sort of thing, but not all of them do.

If it were my kid who had this happen to him, I'd be sick to my stomach.

the workout schedule for these guys is pretty nuts.  fly here, go out to dinner and get slammed with questions, get no sleep, wake up early and have an intense workout, immediately head to the airport and head to the next city and do it all over again.  they need time to rest and recuperate.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Injuries will happen training, in private workouts, or practice. Let's not overreact. It's part of the game. 

They should work out at the combine and pro day, that’s it. Visits should be more about character and team chemistry. 

Especially since a lot of the meetings are smoke screens or precautions 

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

THEY ARE NOT GETTING PAID to work out and are covered only by insurance policies. You're reacting to the wrong issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate this. It is terrible to see a guy lose so much, so early. Those injuries can cost these guys hundreds of thousands, if not Millions of dollars. Hopefully they have it insured to offset some of the loss.

It does really suck. I'm not sure what the answer is. It seems like there is quite a bit of emphasis put on the private workouts. 

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree here, it most likely would have happened during rookie camp.  However if I am an agent I probably tell my guy not to workout outside of their pro-day or the combine if they get an invite.   At the very least, if it happens during training camp you have a signed contract with the teams insurance covering you.

The difference is they would be under contract and insured in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yeah, part of the GAME, these workouts arent part of the game. You can eliminate a potential injury causing situation that really isn't overly telling.

If any team totally changes their rankings on a player based on how they performed in shorts, they probably have a lot of staff unemployed.

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They should work out at the combine and pro day, that’s it. Visits should be more about character and team chemistry. 

Especially since a lot of the meetings are smoke screens or precautions 

Exactly. With all the films available and these two workouts, it should be enough. Maybe the players could do videos for their own promos. At least  they are in familiar terrain, with their own coaches, equipment, are warmed up, etc. I do get the part for interviews, character and all that though. If no team can do these private workouts except after pre-season games have started, then it's a level playing field for all.

15 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yeah, part of the GAME, these workouts arent part of the game. You can eliminate a potential injury causing situation that really isn't overly telling.

If any team totally changes their rankings on a player based on how they performed in shorts, they probably have a lot of staff unemployed.

Blaming a workout for an injury is small-minded. 

54 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Most of these are simply overuse injuries...your ligaments and tendons only have so many cuts/turns/twists etc in them before they give way. Its why we keep seeing more and more of these because there is no down time anymore..constantly working out, constantly running routes, constantly practicing.

If its 200,000 cuts on an ACL they are using them up much quikcer than they used to. Every player is different...some players have extremely high threshholds and won't get injured but we are seeing the aveage and below average guys in terms of ligament strength/pliability etc getting hurt far more frequently than before.

The good thing its basically like recovering from a broken leg now...longer rehab but they will pretty much be 100% when ready.

Think of ACL tears as the carpal tunnel for NFL players...you are gonna get it if you play long enough its a question of how long you play before you retire...sometimes youll retire before it hapoens sometimes you won't...same with factory workers and carpal tunnel...sometimes you can retire before it happens and other times you can't.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Most of these are simply overuse injuries...your ligaments and tendons only have so many cuts/turns/twists etc in them before they give way. Its why we keep seeing more and more of these because there is no down time anymore..constantly working out, constantly running routes, constantly practicing.

If its 200,000 cuts on an ACL they are using them up much quikcer than they used to. Every player is different...some players have extremely high threshholds and won't get injured but we are seeing the aveage and below average guys in terms of ligament strength/liability etc getting hurt far more frequently than before.

The good thing its baaically like recovering from a broken leg now...longer rehab but they will pretty much be 100% when ready.

I don't believe players do more now than 20 years ago. Most likely less. A lot more mental today. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

There will be like 500 rookie contracts signed between the draft and UDFA. Hundreds of private workouts. 2 is a small number. 

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? For crying out loud these guys lose a **** ton of money when they get hurt, the teams just move on to the next piece of meat. The team has no skin in the game, players bear all the risk.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? For crying out loud these guys lose a **** ton of money when they get hurt, the teams just move on to the next piece of meat. The team has no skin in the game, players bear all the risk.

They gain money also. More than 2 will gain money because of private workouts. That's why they do it. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

17 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't believe players do more now than 20 years ago. Most likely less. A lot more mental today. 

Are you kidding me? They do way more than players 20 years ago. QBs pay for guys to come out and work during the off-season, they are constantly out practicing on their own, training etc...

Also this isn't just starting when they get to the NFL this is starting since they were little kids...back in the days those kids used to play all different sports...now it has become so specialized they are playing the same sports year round working the same muscles tendons and ligaments for many many years on end growing up. 

Repetetive use doesnt just start once they get to the NFL or college. It starts from the time they are 7 and 8. 20 years ago these players would have grown up in the 1970s and there is no way this was happening when they were growing up...i grew up in the 70s playing sports I know you played pretty much everything and it depended on what season it was...those days are long gone

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

A private workout is just part of the interview process, these kids are set to sign HUGE contracts. If they don't want to do the workouts then choose a different profession. 

47 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

THEY ARE NOT GETTING PAID to work out and are covered only by insurance policies. You're reacting to the wrong issue. 

I don't see what 'not getting paid' has to do with anything.  They should only be paid if they are required to do something.

This was a job interview.   This is why you hire an agent and the agent advises you to take out a large insurance policy to cover you before you are drafted.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I wonder why the team's need those workouts. They should have already seen these guys at their pro day and at the combine, unless it's a guy that didn't get invited to the combine.

Seems duplicative to me. I'd rather get him in the film room and see what his brain has to offer.

Especially for the positions involved I agree.  QB may be different if the team has specific throws or drills they want to see.

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

If they cant even pass the tryouts, then I don’t want them on the roster anyways.

Good day to you, sir.

Its not a tryout. Its a meaningless workout that doesnt do anything for anybody.

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Are you kidding me? They do way more than players 20 years ago. QBs pay for guys to come out and work during the off-season, they are constantly out practicing on their own, training etc...

Also this isn't just starting when they get to the NFL this is starting since they were little kids...back in the days those kids used to play all different sports...now it has become so specialized they are playing the same sports year round working the same muscles tendons and ligaments for many many years on end growing up. 

Repetetive use doesnt just start once they get to the NFL or college. It starts from the time they are 7 and 8. 20 years ago these players would have grown up in the 1970s and there is no way this was happening when they were growing up...i grew up in the 70s playing sports I know you played pretty much everything and it depended on what season it was...those days are long gone

It's been year round for decades now. NFL Players if anything train smarter.

But I was speaking of college football players.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate this. It is terrible to see a guy lose so much, so early. Those injuries can cost these guys hundreds of thousands, if not Millions of dollars. Hopefully they have it insured to offset some of the loss.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Teams should not be scared off by these injuries just look at Shaq Lawson...oh...wait

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If the workout isn't absolutely necessary, it may be a risk not worth taking.

Agents only have a player workout if it's necessary. These workouts are the same workouts these players are doing daily. It's not like teams are asking them to do something dangerous. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

It does seem a little odd that especially with combine players, pro day players, senior bowl as well as game tape that this is not sufficient enough to determine their athleticism. I think visits should be more about x's and o's or personality. That is why these guys come into their rookie season allot of times behind the ball because they are training for the combine and not real football. What are they gonna show in a private workout that they can't at a pro day?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

any agent who does not tell a draft prospect to get insurance is committing malpractice, IMO.  

53 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It does seem a little odd that especially with combine players, pro day players, senior bowl as well as game tape that this is not sufficient enough to determine their athleticism. I think visits should be more about x's and o's or personality. That is why these guys come into their rookie season allot of times behind the ball because they are training for the combine and not real football. What are they gonna show in a private workout that they can't at a pro day?

On the flip side,they are going to work out in private anyway..remember when we lost Kiko for the season? I was ready to punch myself in the face. 

• Like (+1) 1