RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Well then they'd be idiots.

On multiple levels. First, why do we trade up at 4? Why not just wait til 6 or 7 - if the Bills have Mayfield/Jackson/Rosen at the top of their wish list? 

Second, you have the #1 overall pick the draft and select a guy on hoping what some other team will do later ... instead of setting your team in a direction?

SO ... I guess that makes you right. The Browns are in fact, idiots. So maybe that's exactly what they are doing.

First, I don't believe anyone has Jackson in the same tier as the first 4. QBs would be going 1, 2, and 3 (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield/Rosen) and Denver could easily go QB with #5 making #4 the last chance to get one of the blue chip QBs.

Second, their direction all offseason has been that they were going with one of the 2 blue chip QBs that needed some time before starting (Allen or Darnold). It is completely conceivable that the Browns:

• Have very similar grades on Darnold and Allen
  • Know that the only way the Giants stay put at 2 is if Darnold is available
  • Want to select a Tackle, but believe they can trade back and still get the one they want while also picking up a late first and a mid-rounder, as they no longer have a 3rd round pick in 2018. (12, 22, and 96 would be a 30% premium on the value of their #4 pick)

Allen, McGlinchey, Guice, and another top 100 prospect seems preferable to Darnold & Barkley assuming the QBs are graded similarly imo.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I played both out. Actually if they like Rosen more then that might help because Rumor is Den doesnt like mayfield. 

Darnold would be gone at 2 based off reports is he was there 

I was responding to your own scenario which had the Giants taking Barkley, so in that exact scenario, Darnold would indeed be available at 3 since Allen and Barkley were the only 2 off the board.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Best chance we have at not getting shut out if this was the case would be Giants to take Barkley

Giants - Barkley

Jets - Rosen

Bills (after trading up as CLE misses Barkley) - Mayfield 

Our hope is Giants don’t pick Darnold otherwise we could get shutout of the top 4.

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

This would be horrible for us and would represent worst case scenario.  Then Darnold goes #2 to the Giants if the reports are true that he is the top player on their draft board.  Rosen goes 3 to the Jets.  Mayfield goes 5 to the Broncos.  We are left with nobody!!!

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

I agree it is the worst outcome for us... because it throws the cat among the pigeons. But I am still not sure it makes the Giants go QB. Would make me wonder what the Jets do...  I really, really think Allen is their guy. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it is the worst outcome for us... because it throws the cat among the pigeons. But I am still not sure it makes the Giants go QB. Would make me wonder what the Jets do...  I really, really think Allen is their guy. 

it doesn't really matter in this scenario.  either way the Jets are going to get Rosen or Mayfield, the 2 best QB's in the draft imo.

Edited by kdiggz

Just now, kdiggz said:

it doesn't really matter.  either way the Jets are going to get Rosen or Mayfield, the 2 best QB's in the draft imo.

Well indeed, I think it makes it likely that is who the Jets end up with but I don't believe that is who they made the move to 3 for. 

I wouldn't like it because I think how most believed it would play out very much favoured the Bills going to #2. Changing the 1st overall pick changes the complextion of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This would be very bad. Then it goes

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

We get nobody in this scenario. We need Darnold to go 1. That opens up either trading up to 2 or sitting back and getting the 4th QB (Mayfield or Rosen) at 6 or 7

Just now, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

We get nobody in this scenario. We need Darnold to go 1. That opens up either trading up to 2 or sitting back and getting the 4th QB (Mayfield or Rosen) at 6 or 7

I think Cleveland is game to trade out of #4

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

I don't think it's a given that the Giants OR Broncos take QBs in this scenario. 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

That's if you buy the Giants love for only Darnold. I don't think it makes sense that they have 1 QB in this draft rated that much higher than the others.

They're bluffing.

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Not in this scenario. They would get Chubb at 4

Hue Jackson says he dreams about pairing Chubb with Myles

They could do that but it would be dumb. They would be using 2-3 1st rd picks on a pass rusher who next year would be the 5th best one in the draft. He’s only going this high because it’s such a weak draft for pass rushers. Would you rather have Allen and Chubb or Allen, Guice/Ward and McGlinchey? And possibly another pick like next year’s 1st, destined to be high because Bills are starting a rookie? Like they could get Nick Bosa next year for free.  Just can’t see the Browns being that stupid.

wait what am i saying 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't think it's a given that the Giants OR Broncos take QBs in this scenario. 

I think the Giants want to trade the pick.  I think they'll get more if Allen goes #1.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They could do that but it would be dumb. They would be using 2-3 1st rd picks on a pass rusher who next year would be the 5th best one in the draft. He’s only going this high because it’s such a weak draft for pass rushers. Would you rather have Allen and Chubb or Allen, Guice/Ward and McGlinchey? And possibly another pick like next year’s 1st, destined to be high because Bills are starting a rookie? Like they could get Nick Bosa next year for free.  Just can’t see the Browns being that stupid.

wait what am i saying 

I too think the Browns are trading out of 4. 

IMO they'd love to add one of Fitzpatrick / Ward or maybe James to their secondary at pick 12 and someone like Hurst or Payne at DT at pick 22.  Between Garrett / Ogbah / Nassib / Collins, they aren't too bad at DE.  CB and DT need some serious help. 

Edited by Chuck Wagon

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think the Giants want to trade the pick.  I think they'll get more if Allen goes #1.

I too think the Browns are trading out of 4. 

IMO they'd love to add one of Fitzpatrick / Ward or maybe James to their secondary at pick 12 and someone like Hurst or Payne at DT at pick 22.  Between Garrett / Ogbah / Nassib / Collins, they aren't too bad at DE.  CB and DT need some serious help. 

Collins is a LB and Nassib is pretty bad. There is talk of Ogbah at DT if Chubb is the pick, and we drafted 2 DTs last year in Ogunjobi and Brantley who were pretty good. Also had Coley who started and was pretty good.

I'd rather have Barkley, but I'd be ok with Chubb. I'd be ok with a trade for 12, 22, and next year's 1 too because I think we could still end up with Ward, Fitzpatrick, Payne, or Edmunds, and then use 64 with 22 to move up again and grab another top level player. 3 top 15 or so picks would be huge, and still have 33 and 35 along with 2 1sts next year.

Edited by cle23

If the Bills trade with Cleveland for the 4th overall, the Browns are going to want future draft assets as they have plenty of draft picks this year.

Cleveland is at least going to want the Bills number one in 2019. And then some in 2019 and maybe 2020.

• These rumors are ninety percent meaningless and ten percent disinformation
  • Speaking of which : I'm still not convinced the Giants pass on a quarterback if Darnold isn't available
  • And Cleveland picks Darnold : This organization can't afford to go on "potential upside:. They play it as safe as possible because of their history.
  • Cleveland won't trade out of Four.
  • Cleveland's number Four is as likely to be Chubb as Barkley 
  • The Colts might trade out of Six however

• Like (+1) 1

On April 2, 2018 at 1:20 PM, MAJBobby said:

Well that means 2nd overall will NOT be traded. 

So Giants - Darnold

Jets - Rosen

If the Broncos get Mayfield, this draft ends before it gets started. Then again, I think Elway sticks with Keenum for now and gets him some help on offense at 5. We send Hughes back to Indy along with 12 and 22, draft Mayfield and get lots of picks on day 2 to fill holes. I'd be OK with a guy the draftniks say has the most accurate arm in this class.

Edited by GreggTX

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Can we just wait for the f-ing draft and see what the teams actually do? 

Focus on something else for a few weeks; it won't kill you.

Why the hell are you on a football message board a couple weeks before the draft then?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Can we just wait for the f-ing draft and see what the teams actually do? 

Focus on something else for a few weeks; it won't kill you.

Yes it will LOL. This is our biggest draft in years and it's taking too long to get here.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Dude said:

Or... the Browns leak the info so that the #2 pick becomes more attractive. 

A team moves up for a QB. 

Giants dont draft Barkley. 

And the Browns get their QB and Barkley at 4. 

Or the Browns are who we thought they were. 

"If you're going to crown 'em, crown their ass!"

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, grb said:
  • These rumors are ninety percent meaningless and ten percent disinformation
  • Speaking of which : I'm still not convinced the Giants pass on a quarterback if Darnold isn't available
  • And Cleveland picks Darnold : This organization can't afford to go on "potential upside:. They play it as safe as possible because of their history.
  • Cleveland won't trade out of Four.
  • Cleveland's number Four is as likely to be Chubb as Barkley 
  • The Colts might trade out of Six however

Luck still isn't throwing, makes yah think they should be considering taking a QB for themselves.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Dude said:

Or... the Browns leak the info so that the #2 pick becomes more attractive. 

A team moves up for a QB. 

Giants dont draft Barkley. 

And the Browns get their QB and Barkley at 4. 

Or the Browns are who we thought they were. 

Yet, the other apparent rumor is the Giants wouldn't pass on Darnold. So, if anything, them floating they are taking Allen, should in theory make teams more reluctant to try and trade for the second overall.

Unless, those in the Browns organization have some sort of insight that Allen is really who the Giants wouldn't pass on...

Edited by BillsFan17

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting...

And yet I kept reading that "Darnold will go #1 overall" and that it was already decided.

12 hours ago, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

It doesn't really change much for Buffalo.  Unless both NYG and Denver take QBs, Buffalo will have a chance to trade up for one of the top 4.  QBs going 1,2,3 would simply take 3 guys off the board that Denver could potentially want at 5.

• Like (+1) 1