Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

29 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

No worries, Shady.   I always read your posts because I know you're an informed poster with good reasoning.  We just disagreed on this.  

I used to be the optimist who always tried to find reasons to believe the Bills will be competitive.   And right now the optimist in me wants to believe those who say Mccarron is the QB we've been looking for and we don't need to look any further.

The pessimist in me wants to draft QBs all day long until one proves himself a worthy successor to Jim Kelly.  

I'm trying to be more of a realist these days and the realist in me is somewhere in between the two extremes.  I acknowledge the possibility that Mccarron may be better than some think.  I certainly like the kid's attitude.  But until we have a proven answer (and at this point Mccarron is neither a proven success nor a proven failure), we've got to spend some of our draft capital on a QB.  

thanks Hondo.  

2015  (sophomore season)  AJ was 2-1 and almost made it to 3-1 in a playoff game against the Steelers until two  15 yard penalties in the final seconds put the Steelers in FG range who then ended up winning by 2 points.    I am not saying that is stellar, but it shows hes got some skills. 

Image result for i want to believe

4 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

This line of thinking that AJ hasn't proven anything is way over stated.  The guy has a long history of winning championships.  Folks act like the NFL is the only place where the game of football is played. Is there even one other QB in the league that has won back to back college championships? Oh, I know, college ain't the NFL. But those championships ain't nothing. Honestly, I think Bills fans are more pessimistic about QBs than any team except maybe Cleveland.

I have said that already too.     he's won as much as any of these rookies out Bills brethren  want to draft and more 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

This line of thinking that AJ hasn't proven anything is way over stated.  The guy has a long history of winning championships.  Folks act like the NFL is the only place where the game of football is played. Is there even one other QB in the league that has won back to back college championships? Oh, I know, college ain't the NFL. But those championships ain't nothing. Honestly, I think Bills fans are more pessimistic about QBs than any team except maybe Cleveland.

Tim Tebow, Jason White, and Gino Toretta all say Hello!

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have said that already too.     he's won as much as any of these rookies out Bills brethren  want to draft and more 

He doesn't deserve to be over hyped either, but he does have an excellent resume.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tim Tebow, Jason White, and Gino Toretta all say Hello!

Nice.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You don't build around QBs like McCarron.  He's in Buffalo to keep the seat warm. 

You're going to be dissappointed when that doesn't happen 26.

Depends on the pieces... If we ever get that big, athletic, TE Then Yes... A reliable slot WR (which Zay Jones isn't) makes it even more likely we win 10+ games....

After seeing Carolina's success with Greg Olsen, I'm surprised McBeane hasn't directly addressed the position.

6 hours ago, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

We aren't a playoff team next year with A.J. or with a Rookie.  (We aren't going to have the worst record in the NFL either, but we could be picking top 10 for sure)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Well...since none of us have seen much of AJ, pretty hard to say.

1. If AJ led offense is worse than last years:  NOPE, D has big holes to fill before we can feel like it can be better than last year to offset a drop in offense...like LB and pass rush.
  2. If AJ led offense is similar to last year:  Maybe, but probably not until we fill some holes at LB, OL, and WR with solid or better contributors.
  3. If AJ led offense is modest improvement to last year:  Maybe, but probably yes if we get some quality help in FA/Draft at LB, OL, and WR.
  4. If AJ led offense makes a good to great improvement to last year:  Probably yes, and most likely certainly if we get even solid additions to LB, OL, and WR.

So lots of question marks to really say yes or no right now, with AJ himself being a big one.  Personally, I think we can and will compete for a playoff spot next year as long as AJ is at least solid.  I mean we still have McCoy and assume we will likely add some promising LB's in the draft, and speed WR somewhere, and get some OL help in here.  So I do think the D has the potential to be better this year and the offense too.  Now if AJ falls on his face, then I think we fall back to a under .500 team

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

He doesn't deserve to be over hyped either, but he does have an excellent resume.

You're going to be dissappointed when that doesn't happen 26.

I’m not overhyping him.  

I had stated that I thought the Bills would be the in the playoffs the past 2 seasons.   I’m being consistent!  

:D

10-6 baby 

7 hours ago, Looper said:

if we take ridley and vita vea...then rudolph/lauletta/white...... malik jackson/ washington and a good no.2 rb. we go 10-6 at worst.

a.j. is gonna ball.  he's our jimmy g

FO and coaching surprised us last year. Coaching has a year of experience and hopefully corrects some very questionable calls last year especially in game management and awareness.

I would not count them out. They made playoffs first try, it could hopefully be a trend. They clearly overachieved and played better than talent they had. And had luck on their side for 1st time in almost 18 years.

Edited by cba fan

10 minutes ago, cba fan said:

FO and coaching surprised us last year. Coaching has a year of experience and hopefully corrects some very questionable calls last year especially in game management and awareness.

I would not count them out. They made playoffs first try, it could hopefully be a trend. They clearly overachieved and played better than talent they had. And had luck on their side for 1st time in almost 18 years.

How do you play better than the talent that you have ? Is that like giving 110% or 120%? Maybe the had enough talent to make the playoffs and other things came together at the right time to get them in.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well...since none of us have seen much of AJ, pretty hard to say.

Haven't we though? Haven't we seen this guy over and over again in the NFL?

Does we really think AJM is any worse than this guy? Just another un-athletic, white guy without really a cannon for an arm that was considered a "leader". 

Mr.Picked 5th in the draft Passing Statistics for Career Games 2009 to 2012

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Average 16 16   257 467   3023 17   17                 32 204          
Per 16 Games 16 16   265 482   3121 18   18                 33 211          
2009-2012 NFL 62 62 33-29-0 1028 1867 55.1 12092 68 3.6 69 3.7 74 6.5 5.5 11.8 195.0 71.7   126 818 5.66 4.78 6.3    

All he did was get to the AFC Championship game twice in his first two years, and compile a 4-2 playoff record. 

I think AJ McCarron can easily equal Mark Sanchez ... if we can get Nick Mangold and D'Brick Ferguson to block for him. Heck, I think he's way BETTER than Sanchez.

Team game. Will always be a team game as much as knuckleheads want to make it about the QB. Not many QBs make the team, so stop looking for one or you'll drive yourself crazy. Get some offensive lineman, get that linebacker we need and you might make the playoffs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

eh if our team plays a little more consistent, (some games our defense looked dominant), and some plays fall our way, and we don't bench him for Peterman against the best pass rush in the league for a game, say.. the Rams or Chargers or Eagles, then yeah, we'd have a chance. I wouldn't be too upset to see him start the season.

8 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

who really scares you in the afc? I think its up for grabs. If AJ is an upgrade over tt look out. 

if he wins the spot, don't bench AJ after 1 bad game coach McD

- sincerely, PT5P

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

have no idea yet.

Roster has to be filled out.

and who are the WRs again ??

likely not a playoff team. but that may not be on AJ. I think he will manage the Offense fairly well.

we miraculously made it with no WRs last year, can't count on that consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Coach Speak....

“look at AJ, he’s a guy that we’ve look at every single throw in his NFL career. You look at his resume in college and then the pros, he had a chance to win a big-time playoff game in Cincinnati against a good defense there. We’re just anxious to get in there and get started. The competition, I think, at all positions, is exciting. That usually leads to greater things.”

if you look at a.j.'s games you can see that he and nate have a lot in common. nate has a quick, sharp decisive release and that is gonna push a.j. to up his game.

he will be fine and our passing game will be better than we've seen in 20 yrs. our schedule last year had fans poopin their pants, but we made it. they will add wr talent and a pass rush. we will be fine and command a wc or go neck and neck with the pats until dec.

we are going to the playoffs!!!!!!! i would love to get baker, but would also be happy with rudolph. either way, we can afford to let a rookie sit a year and learn. right now, i'm confident in a.j.

I'd be shocked if AJ isn't a better passer than Tyrod.  I'd also be shocked if AJ doesn't turn the ball over more than Tyrod.

The Bills, as a whole, will be a better team in 2018 if they don't trade up for a QB.  That's the short term outlook.

Unless McCarron lights it up, my answer is no.

Edited by Chicken Boo

5 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

if you look at a.j.'s games you can see that he and nate have a lot in common. nate has a quick, sharp decisive release and that is gonna push a.j. to up his game.

he will be fine and our passing game will be better than we've seen in 20 yrs. our schedule last year had fans poopin their pants, but we made it. they will add wr talent and a pass rush. we will be fine and command a wc or go neck and neck with the pats until dec.

we are going to the playoffs!!!!!!! i would love to get baker, but would also be happy with rudolph. either way, we can afford to let a rookie sit a year and learn. right now, i'm confident in a.j.

I'd start Baker over AJ. Regardless, just let the camp competition decide the starter.  If Baker or AJ wins, who cares? The better quarterback starts. The Seahawks didn't blindly just let Flynn start a whole season just because they were scared of throwing their rookie to the fire. We don't need to protect rookies like they're some fragile baby.

AJ may be ok- the guy we draft may be ok. The larger problem simply is we have a ton of holes. WR imo is the biggest weakness and next would be LB. Couple that with needs on both lines and things look a little dim. 

Our dead cap money really hurt us this year. If we have another solid draft this year and get some quality FA’s in next years offseason we should start seeing “the process” take shape.

Dont be surprised if the Bills take a step back this year to make a big leap next year. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Guy put Cincy in a position to win in a playoff game, winning 2 of 3 games at the end of the season to get them there as well. Kid's been a winner at all levels and hasn't shown what he can do as the starter. Why blow all these lush picks reaching for someone hasn't demonstrated the same when we have so many other needs? I'd like to see us move down a few picks, grab more draft capital for this year or next, and fill the roster with rookie talent in all the other necessary areas. Play the 2-3 year plan the way it's been shown to work.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

How do you play better than the talent that you have ? Is that like giving 110% or 120%? Maybe the had enough talent to make the playoffs and other things came together at the right time to get them in.

Teams with less talent can overachieve and play better with good coaching and motivation than some teams with better talent.

Especially in high physical sports.

45 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'd start Baker over AJ. Regardless, just let the camp competition decide the starter.  If Baker or AJ wins, who cares? The better quarterback starts. The Seahawks didn't blindly just let Flynn start a whole season just because they were scared of throwing their rookie to the fire. We don't need to protect rookies like they're some fragile baby.

true but the best case scenario is to have a good vet starter and let the rookie get used to the nfl.

43 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

AJ may be ok- the guy we draft may be ok. The larger problem simply is we have a ton of holes. WR imo is the biggest weakness and next would be LB. Couple that with needs on both lines and things look a little dim. 

Our dead cap money really hurt us this year. If we have another solid draft this year and get some quality FA’s in next years offseason we should start seeing “the process” take shape.

Dont be surprised if the Bills take a step back this year to make a big leap next year. Go Bills.

ton of holes? ok we lost preston which most thought wasn't worth keeping.  then we lost wood but groy and our fa will make it so we don't notice he's gone.

then we lost gaines, but got davis and another gaines so nickel d shouldn't be bad. ok let's see...we signed star and murphy....added a center and starting rt. .....and we're far from done and  the draft is coming.

we have less holes than last year especially at qb. we will be fine. we will not take a step back...as a matter of fact ,this team will expect to win every time they step on the field.....not...well , if we get some turnovers and luck goes our way....the process is to kick ass!

Edited by billsredneck1

24 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

true but the best case scenario is to have a good vet starter and let the rookie get used to the nfl.

ton of holes? ok we lost preston which most thought wasn't worth keeping.  then we lost wood but groy and our fa will make it so we don't notice he's gone.

then we lost gaines, but got davis and another gaines so nickel d shouldn't be bad. ok let's see...we signed star and murphy....added a center and starting rt. .....and we're far from done and  the draft is coming.

we have less holes than last year especially at qb. we will be fine. we will not take a step back...as a matter of fact ,this team will expect to win every time they step on the field.....not...well , if we get some turnovers and luck goes our way....the process is to kick ass!

I like your optimism and respect your opinion. We have a very depleted WR corps and our LB’s aren’t that great- I was happy with Milano last year and hope he can build on it.

I made no mention of our back end because I think it is our strength.

Groy is decent, but he isnt Eric Wood. Mills is a turnstyle. Shady and an elusive TT made our line look better than it really is. Again, just my opinion! 

I would love to have another playoff season, I am just having a hard time seeing it. Time will tell for sure! 

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

we just don't know for sure.  

When you pass the least in the NFL you really don't have vast amounts of data to come to a lock down conclusion.  

The Bills DID have talent.  It went to waste  

Best quote of the day!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think the Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs last year and it will take time to replace the talent they traded away.  I think the franchise is headed in the right direction but I don't expect them to be playoff bound in 2018. 

I agree with this.

There is no reason why we couldn't, theoretically, make the playoffs again in 2018, but my gut says it won't happen.

As long as the big picture remains an upward trend, a temporary setback is OK.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I like your optimism and respect your opinion. We have a very depleted WR corps and our LB’s aren’t that great- I was happy with Milano last year and hope he can build on it.

I made no mention of our back end because I think it is our strength.

Groy is decent, but he isnt Eric Wood. Mills is a turnstyle. Shady and an elusive TT made our line look better than it really is. Again, just my opinion! 

I would love to have another playoff season, I am just having a hard time seeing it. Time will tell for sure! 

newhouse will be an upgrade at rt and the guy that started for 5 yrs. in cincy will also be fine. we will draft as well. our oline will be better.

11 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

This team shouldnt of been in the playoffs last year. Overall there is no talent on this team. McCoy is the only player worth a damn, and history says hes inline for a below average year this year. 

So Tre White, Hyde, Poyer, Williams Hughes Incognito,  Benjamin are all trash... And wouldn't start anywhere else right?

One thing is for sure is the run defense will be alot better and if everything else stays the same where a playoff team.

Do you really think AJ will be worse than Tyrod?  Watch all the game films and watch ALL the missed throws.  Tyrod's strength was running away from trouble.  That's why we have to re-build that OL.  You can't rely on scrambling for wins.  AND - we need 2 very good LB's.  I don't care if they are rookies or not - - just fast, strong and aggressive!  We'll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nucci said:

Technically they are considered a playoff team...some are saying McCarron is an upgrade over Taylor and we made the playoffs with taylor so...

I'm not sure who is saying that but i hardly think hes an upgrade from tt, and i was never a tt fan.

12 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

No, but not necessarily because of AJ.

This is a roster that IMO overachieved a tad last year, then got weaker in the off-season.

We have no LBs outside possibly Milano right now. We have a healing KB and not much else at WR. Any QB we start this season will have limited experience in NFL games. 

Now, we could still sign some post draft cuts, hit well in the draft and find some players that are upgrades, but as of right now there is no way I'd see this roster make a playoff run.

So does Tim Tebow.

So does Flutie.